Theres nothing more buzzy than intermittent fasting (IF) when it comes to current weight-loss trends. Tons of celebs tout it as their go-to eating approach to get or stay in shapeincluding Halle Berry, Jenna Jameson, Jennifer Garner, Stassi Schroeder, and Vanessa Hudgens, to name a few.
And the benefits of IF arent limited to weight loss. Research (albeit limited!) suggests intermittent fasting may help lower your cholesterol, improve your concentration, and even help you sleep better.
But if you are using IF for weight-loss purposes, know that it's actually pretty easy to do it incorrectly, and stall your weight loss as a result. You kinda have to nail your eating window to reap the health and weight-loss benefits, down to the timing and the foods you eat when you do break your fast.
So if youve been trying and trying to lose weight with IF and your body isnt changing, keep reading for the biggest mistakes people make on IF diets that may impede weight loss, according to registered dietitiansand how to address each issue.
Intermittent fasting is about when you eat, says Charlotte Martin, MS, RDN, CPT, owner of Shaped by Charlotte, LLC. Depending on the IF approach, youre either shortening the eating window each day, or engaging in about 24-hour fasts one or more times a week. One of the most popular approaches is the 16:8 method, which is when you fast for an eight-hour window, like from 8 p.m. to 12 p.m. the next day.
The Ultimate Guide to Intermittent Fasting
Essentially, by restricting your food intake to a shortened time window, you naturally decrease your caloric intake and, in turn, can lose weight. (Remember, weight loss, at the most basic level, happens when you consume fewer calories than you expend each day.) "Not only are you taking in fewer calories, but youre also slowing down your insulin pump, which may boost fat burn," explains Martin.
There are a lot of factors that can contribute to how long it may take for the weight to start coming off. "Rate of weight loss will vary greatly from person to person depending on several factors, including: starting weight, the intermittent fasting approach used, the types of (and how much) food consumed during the eating windows, and more," says Martin.
If you end up reducing your overall caloric intake right away and you consistently eat fewer calories than you expend, then you should start losing weight immediately. "However, you likely wont notice any weight loss results for at least a couple of weeks," notes Martin, adding that some weight loss in the beginning will "likely be water weight."
Depending on the calorie amount you consume while intermittent fasting, you could experience an approximate one- to two- pound weight loss per week, which would mean it could take upwards of eight to 10 weeks to notice significant weight loss, says Kristen Smith, MS, RD, spokesperson for Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
If youre losing more than that? It could be a red flag. If you notice yourself losing a noticeable amount of weight during the first few weeks of following an intermittent fasting plan, you should likely re-evaluate your calorie intake to ensure you are consuming adequate nutrition to meet your bodys needs, says Smith.
There could be a few reasons. Here are 12 intermittent fasting mistakes that you might be making, and how to fix them.
As mentioned, in general, Weight loss essentially boils down to calories in versus calories out, reminds Martin. If you end up consuming the same number of calories (or more) during your eating windows as before you started intermittent fasting, then you wont lose weight. In other words, if you just pack all of the calories you'd normally eat into your eating window, you're not really changing your diet at all.
How to fix it: Try a calorie-counting app. "Although I dont typically recommend calorie counting, it may help to track your caloric intake for a few days using a calorie-tracking app," says Martin. "These apps will usually tell you the approximate daily calorie amount you need to be at in order to lose weight. Although these estimations are usually off, they can be used as a good starting point." The app can also reveal meals or specific foods that have more calories than you'd expect, and you can adjust your diet accordingly.
When you dont consume an adequate amount of calories on non-fasting days, your body may conserve the energy you consume, rather than burning it, says Smith.
How to fix it: Make a meal plan for yourself for non-fasting days. Make a suitable meal plan for non-fasting periods that includes balanced meals consisting of at least 300 to 500 calories per meal. This way, you take out the guesswork and can ensure that you don't skimp on cals for yourself.
"Although the focus of intermittent fasting is on when you eat rather than what you eat, that doesnt mean you can eat whatever you want during your eating windows and still lose weight," Martin points out. "If your diet consists of mostly calorically dense foods, like fast food, you probably wont lose weight."
How to fix it: Focus on eating nutrient-dense foods. Eating foods rich in lean protein, fiber-rich carbs, and healthy fats will help fill you up and naturally reduce your overall caloric intake," she says. Dont worry: "You can still enjoy some of your less-healthy favorites, like pizza and ice cream, in moderation! she adds.
If you decide on a time-restricted feeding approach and you only shorten your eating window by an hour or so a day, you likely wont see much, if any, weight loss, says Martin. You're just not changing enough from your normal eating routine, tbh.
How to fix it: Most women find success with about a 10-hour eating window, meaning a 14-hour fast," says Martin. "You can always start with a longer eating window and work your way down if your usual eating window is much longer than this, she suggests.
Skipping meals and not eating enough during your eating windows can cause you to be extremely hungry during fasting periods, making it more likely that youll end up breaking your fasts, says Martin. Restricting yourself too much during one eating window can also lead you to bingeing and overeating during your next eating window, which can also increase overall calorie intake.
How to fix it: "Make sure youre eating until you're full and satisfied, but not overstuffed, during your eating windows," she says. Martin also suggests doing some meal prep on the weekends for the week ahead to ensure you don't skip meals when you get busy or thrown off your schedule.
"There are several types of intermittent fasting plans. Not all plans may fit your lifestyle or help boost your specific metabolic rate," says Smith. For instance, if you are training for an endurance challenge and picked a plan that prevents you from eating in the morning, when you need fuel for workouts, you may fall off the IF wagon in the process. (and also harm your body and performance).
How to fix it: Consider choosing an intermittent fasting plan that best matches your lifestyle and can be maintained for the long-haul, says Smith. You might want to consult a registered dietitian to help you make this decision and assess your lifestyle and dietary needs.
Few studies have looked at the direct correlation with weight loss and sleep while following an intermittent fasting plan, however in general,several studies have shown a connection between adequate sleep and positive weight loss outcomes, says Smith.
How to fix it: You've heard it before, but, Make an effort to sleep at least 7 hours per night, says Smith. (Tough, but do your best!)
"Oftentimes people will start a new eating regimen, like a fasting diet, at the exact same time they decide to start a new exercise plan or boost the current exercise plan theyre on," says Martin. "Over-exercising or working out too intensively, especially while attempting to reduce food intake, can cause energy levels to drop and hunger levels to skyrocket." As a result, you may end up eating more calories during your eating windows than youre burning, even with the intense exercise, she notes.
How to fix it: If practicing full-day fasts (like with the 5:2 method, for example), be sure to keep exercise light on fasting days. "In general, make sure your exercise regimen is challenging but still doable and enjoyable. If you notice you feel ravenous on the days you exercise, it may mean youre pushing yourself too hard," says Martin.
Not drinking enough water during your fast may not only leave you dehydrated, but by not drinking enough, youre also missing out on water's benefits when it comes to quelling hunger.
How to fix it: Drink up! And you can get fancy with your water. Intermittent fasting-approved drinks include: hot tea, black coffee, seltzer water, iced tea, tea or coffee with Stevia.
Following an intermittent fasting plan can be difficult for some dieters as they arent used to going long periods of time without eating, says Smith. So if you keep cheating your plan week to week or cutting corners, it probably isn't going to yield the weight-loss benefits you were hoping. So, you may want to reconsider whether IF is right for you and your lifestyle.
How to fix it: Choose an intermittent fasting plan that best matches your lifestyle and can be followed for longer periods of time, says Smith.
Planning ahead is an important aspect of maintaining any type of healthy intervention, says Smith.
How to fix it: Try to plan all your meals and snacks at least a day in advance. Having a plan of what you will prepare, including packing meals and snacks in advance, or scoping out restaurant menus to decide what you will order, says Smith.
IF takes practice and patience. "Most individuals who try IF, regardless of the approach they choose, will end up breaking a fast ahead of schedule at some point or another," says Martin. "If youre serious about continuing IF, its important not to feel guilty, ashamed, or mad at yourself for doing so and to get back to a regularly scheduled program as soon as possible."
How to fix it: Its important to give yourself some grace and to move on! "Remind yourself that IF takes some trial and errorits inevitable that your IF schedule wont always go according to plan," says Martin.
- You Can Lose Weight Without Skipping Any Meals - monroviaweekly - May 22nd, 2020
- Arshad Warsi loses 6 kilos in a month with Keto and Intermittent Fasting - Times of India - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss: How to burn belly fat in 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Dont Comment On Anybodys Weight, Even If Theyre Famous - Chatelaine - May 22nd, 2020
- I Finally Care More About Being Strong Than Skinny, and It's Because I'm Working Out at Home - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Lose belly fat in just 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - TheHealthSite - May 22nd, 2020
- My 600-lb Life: Clarence can finally have erection after losing weight, but Dr Now isnt convinced - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- 'Real Housewives of New York' Preview: Ramona tells Sonja to lose weight even after her liquid-only diet stint - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: if you're struggling to lose weight, this might be why - EconoTimes - May 22nd, 2020
- John Barnes reveals fittest and best player from Harry's Heroes - Teamtalk.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Viva Fresh Wellness Reveal a success - The Produce News - May 22nd, 2020
- News - Foundation of Light - May 22nd, 2020
- Dr. Adele reveals the advice he gives to his patients to lose weight - Play Crazy Game - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss in lockdown: Mum and daughter lose 14 stone thanks to Slimming World - North Devon Gazette - May 22nd, 2020
- You Just Need 2 Dumbbells and These 30 Upper-Body Exercises to Get Strong, Sculpted Arms - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Judge rules Lincolnshire woman with severe learning difficulty can have all her teeth removed - Lincolnshire Live - May 22nd, 2020
- Putting the current disruption in context will guide recovery - AdNews - May 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight: 10 strategies for weight loss that work in lockdown (or out) - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Here Is the Workout Adele Used to Tone Up As She Lost 100 Lbs - The Beet - May 17th, 2020
- Avoid lockdown weight gain: this nutritionist has blacklisted five foods, and you're not gonna like it - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Do you have lockdown body? How to lose weight without going on a diet - Telegraph.co.uk - May 17th, 2020
- Scientists told how to lose weight with the brain - The Times Hub - May 17th, 2020
- Chewing the fat: a year of Weight Watchers, a lifetime of dieting - The Irish Times - May 17th, 2020
- 5 weight loss myths that can prevent you from slimming down during quarantine - TheHealthSite - May 17th, 2020
- How a carer lost six stone and conquered her demons - Cambridgeshire Live - May 17th, 2020
- My Life Was Turned Into a Movie. Heres What Hollywood Left Out. - Slate - May 17th, 2020
- Gemma Collins shows off her weight loss in skinny jeans as she dresses up for a weekend in lockdown - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Blue Meanie Reveals Who Got Him Signed By WWF Losing Weight To Be Blue Boy - Fightful - May 17th, 2020
- Aravinnd Iyer talks about his weight loss plan, life during the lockdown and future projects - Times of India - May 17th, 2020
- Here's How Lady Gaga And Cameron Diaz Played A Role In Adele's Weight Loss - TheThings - May 17th, 2020
- Matcha green tea powder: The Sirtfood superfood behind Adeles 7st weight loss - Express - May 17th, 2020
- Get in shape this summer with Mark Wrights great workouts and meal plans - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Love Island narrator Iain Stirling shocks fans with his huge bulge as he shows off his weight loss - The Scottish Sun - May 17th, 2020
- What is the endomorph diet? Losing weight based on body type - TODAY - May 14th, 2020
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals Her Post-Baby Weight After Losing 'Almost 60 Pounds' - KMOV.com - May 14th, 2020
- Health Beat: What to know before you try keto - WFMZ Allentown - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss story: 'From 105 to 83 kilos, here's how I answered my body-shamers back' - Times of India - May 14th, 2020
- The Yogurt Diet: Weight Loss Fact or Fiction? - Healthline - May 14th, 2020
- Valerie Bertinelli recalls being fat-shamed by her fifth-grade teacher: 'I became really aware of my body' - Home - WSFX - May 14th, 2020
- Why Did Adele Lose Weight? British Singer's Motivation Is Not What Most Fans Think - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss: How to lose weight fast with the cabbage soup diet - Express - May 14th, 2020
- How to Drink Alcohol and Still Lose Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 14th, 2020
- The Key to Weight Loss Through Exercise Could Be Picking The Right Time of Day - ScienceAlert - May 14th, 2020
- Coffee consumption linked to lower body fat in women, study shows - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Founder of the #90DaysWithoutSugar challenge on how his journey inspired others to change their lifestyle for the better - News24 - May 14th, 2020
- I hated my first wedding because I was so fat so I dropped TEN dress sizes and married my man again as a s - The Irish Sun - May 14th, 2020
- Best healthy food delivery services in 2020: Home Chef, Blue Apron, Freshly and more - CNET - May 14th, 2020
- Staying Strong: Mental health becomes a concern as farmers and ranchers face ongoing adversity - Tri-State Livestock News - May 14th, 2020
- The foods that boost - and zap - libido - Yahoo Food - May 14th, 2020
- Tim Robards: 'There's no such thing as bad food' - Who - May 14th, 2020
- Fighting Fat Discrimination, but Still Wanting to Lose Weight - The New York Times - May 13th, 2020
- Chef AJ Lost Over 100 Pounds on a Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - May 13th, 2020
- Study: Want to lose weight? Get rid of that pesky nose - The Big Smoke Australia - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss tip: This powerful garlic (lehsun) tea will help in losing weight - Times of India - May 13th, 2020
- CC Sabathia suddenly looks jacked after losing a ton of weight - New York Post - May 13th, 2020
- Why cant people like Adele lose weight without trolls having a go despite it being life-saving? - The Sun - May 13th, 2020
- Are Weight-Loss Transformation Success Stories Fat Shaming? - Plant Based News - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Eat this healthy snack daily to lose weight - Express - May 13th, 2020
- Packing on pounds during COVID-19 and how to turn it around - goskagit.com - May 13th, 2020
- 'Look at those arms': Mother-in-law's outrageous weight comment to new mum - Essential Baby - May 13th, 2020
- Have you heard of ballerina tea? Heres why it could be a weight loss component - The Indian Express - May 13th, 2020
- I Combined Keto With The 16:8 DietAnd I Lost 105 Pounds And Reversed My Prediabetes - Women's Health - May 13th, 2020
- Are you prepared for the second wave of COVID-19? The Serotonin-Plus Weight Loss Program Has Answers - Yahoo Finance - May 13th, 2020
- The Many Ways Weight and Type 2 Diabetes Are Connected - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 13th, 2020
- Gaining weight during the lockdown? Here are some ways to get back in shape - YourStory - May 13th, 2020
- LaSata: Knowing the signs, symptoms of stroke can save lives - Sturgis Journal - May 13th, 2020
- We Are Missing The Point With "Stay Home, Stay Safe" - 550 KTSA - May 13th, 2020
- Reversing The Course Of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Liver Cancer Risk - Curetoday.com - May 13th, 2020
- Adele lost weight, are we allowed to praise that? - CNN - May 6th, 2020
- What Is The Warrior Diet? Everything To Know About 20:4 Fasting - Women's Health - May 6th, 2020
- what science tells us about losing weight without diet and walking - Explica - May 6th, 2020
- Looking to lose weight? Heres how walking after meals can help - The Indian Express - May 6th, 2020
- My 600-lb Life exclusive: Cynthia's weight loss has stalled and Dr. Now calls her out - Monsters and Critics - May 6th, 2020
- People Think I Was Concerned About My Body Image Eugenie Bouchard - Essentially Sports - May 6th, 2020
- Strenuous physical activities may actually reduce your risk of knee osteoarthritis, say experts - TheHealthSite - May 6th, 2020
- Adele Debut Her Snatch Body On The Gram, Fans Reacts To Viral Photo - Urban Islandz - May 6th, 2020
- You don't need to be productive during a pandemic - Charlotte Agenda - May 6th, 2020
- Coronavirus Northern Ireland live updates as Chief Medical Officer says there will be a future after lockdown - Belfast Live - May 6th, 2020
- Finding Reason: How to Lose Weight Without Exercising While Stuck at Home - Nisqually Valley News - May 4th, 2020
- Losing kilos the healthy way - Borneo Bulletin Online - May 4th, 2020