Know how to tell if a diet is right for you? You don't hate doing it. "The one diet to avoid is one that is not sustainable," explains Amy Helms, LMSW, MS, CEDRD-S, RD, LD. These can include diets that cut too many calories or plans that are not "compatible" with your lifestyle. "A plan that is too calorically restrictive will work against you in the long run," she explains. "Our bodies adapt to function on fewer calories, making weight regain just about inevitable."
Additionally, a big cut in calories is a primer for overeating or even binge eating. "For some this may lead to one more failed diet while for others it can lead to disordered eating," she points out. And, while low carbohydrate, high protein, and intermittent fasting methods may be effective in the short-term, they simply aren't sustainable for most people.
Here are 12 diets you should never try, according to health expertsand some you should. Read on, and to ensure your health and the health of others, don't miss these Sure Signs You've Already Had Coronavirus.
While a meat-fueled, no-carb diet may help you lose weight, it can negatively impact your overall health, according to Allen Conrad, BS, DC, CSCSof Montgomery County Chiropractic Center in North Wales, PA. "The Atkins Diet was an idea to include high fat and red meats as a primary component of your meals, and the concept was that you would lose weight this way. The problem with diets like this is that high concentrations of red meat and unsaturated fats can cause many health problems, including heart disease and high cholesterol," he explains. Studies have shown that diets high in red meat and trans fats should be avoided due to their long lasting health concerns.
Keto was the most highly-hyped diet in 2019, but Dr. Conrad isn't a fan. "The concept involves eating low carbohydrate meals with the goal of losing weight. By putting the body into a state of ketosis, the idea is that your body will store less body fat, and you can drop a few pounds," he explains. However, the problem with the ketogenic diet is that this puts additional stress on your internal organs, which need carbs to work, he explains. Additionally, he points to studies that have shown that prolonged low carbohydrate diets were dangerous and could lead to premature death.
The Snake Dieta fad diet comprised of prolonged fasting periods (the initial two fasting periods are 48 hours and 72 hours) with low carbohydrate, high fat meals consumed in between the fasting periodsslithered around social media in 2019, with followers claiming dramatic weight loss results. However, experts hope the diet will shed in popularity in the upcoming year. "The safety and long-term effects are not known as is the case with most fad diets, which are, after all, a fadshort-lived and without scientific basis," says Ania Jastreboff, MD, Ph.D., Yale Medicine endocrinologist and director of the Weight Management&Obesity Prevention.
RELATED: I'm a Doctor and This Vitamin May Reduce Your COVID Risk
Juicing supporters boast that it helps cleanse your body of toxins and "build up" from unhealthy food in your body. "What it really is: fruits and veggies that have been stripped of their fiber and packed into a very expensive compostable bottle," explains certified personal trainer and sports nutritionist Holly Roser. "Our bodies are great at cleansing, through our liver and kidneys so the idea of juice removing toxins, is void of scientific backing." If you want to up your fruit and veggie intake, she suggests adding them to your diet in food form. However, if you prefer drinking them, she suggests blending them in a shake or smoothie, "so you're not missing the skin of the fruit or full fiber of the greens."
Product for Whole 30 diet. Healthy food
The Whole30 is meant to help you identify foods that cause you digestive or inflammation issues. Using it to lose weight isn't ideal. For instance, the plan bans legumessomething Roser finds questionable. "Legumes are packed with protein and have zero cholesterol, an amazing alternative to meat. They are an ideal choice to lose weight and live a healthy life with such an impressive nutrition profile," she explains.
And when the diet is overin this case, in just 30 daysyou will likely go back to your old habits. Despite the drawbacks, she does appreciate how the diet encourages people to cook real food instead of consuming processed food. And giving up alcohol is always a good idea. But, "in the end, it's impossible to keep up, like all diets, and people gain weight once they're off it."
Health care, fitness, healthy nutrition diet concept
Detox is one of those "health" buzzwords that are everywhere these daysfrom detox diets to detox shakes and detox waters. The idea behind "detoxification" is that by following these diets or consuming these products, your body will be cleansed of "toxins," and that in turn will help improve health and promote weight loss, but it's a little more complicated, explains Melissa Nieves, RD, Healthy Meals Supreme. "The concept of detoxification by external means such as diets and detox products is misleading," she explains. "The body itself is detoxifying, every day, at all times. That's what the kidneys and liver are for! In fact, if we were really so full of toxins, we would be hospitalized, not walking around drinking detox shakes!" While the body does detoxify itself, she explains we can help the process by staying hydrated and eating a high fiber diet.
Run, don't walk, away from the HCG diet, a meal plan that consists of just 500 calories a day and supplements or injections of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG)the hormone that is produced by women during pregnancyseveral times a week. "People do lose weight on this diet, but it's really because they're eating such a small amount of calories a day," points out Nieves. "This type of diet is not sustainable, because who's going to be able to eat such a small amount of food for long periods of time?" Additionally, it's dangerous! Eating so little will lower your metabolism, making it harder to reach a healthy weight in the long-run. It also puts you at risk for malnutrition, can trigger eating disorders, and lead to muscle and tissue loss, "especially in vital organs such as the heart, since the body starts using its protein as energy under starvation conditions." Also, she points out, that the hCG hormone has only been approved as part of fertility treatmentsnot weight loss. "Only small studies have been done so far on the efficacy of using hCG for weight loss, using small sample sizes," she explains. "We don't have enough evidence of the potential health risks of using this hormone, nor whether it really works for weight loss."
baby food in glass jars
Nieves hopes people will grow up when it comes to the Baby Food Diet! "This fad diet is supposed to help you lose weight by cutting calories and controlling portions. It involves replacing one or two meals or snacks a day with baby food. Each jar can range from 20-100 calories," she explains. Again, the reason people lose weight on this diet is due to the small amount of calories consumed each day. But like any other fad diet, it has its drawbacks. These include putting you at risk for malnutrition, "since the nutrient requirements in these foods are specifically set for babies." It is also incredibly difficult to sustain, "since their taste, and the fact that you're not "chewing" your food, is difficult for an adult to get used to," and won't keep you full and satisfied due to their low fiber and protein content. "Also, diets should be pleasurable and practical. It should also help you make and sustain healthy eating habits," she adds. "The Baby Food Diet just doesn't cut it here!"
peeling hard boiled eggs with hands easily over a bowl of eggs to be peeled
You could lose up to 24 pounds in two weeks by eating boiled eggsall day longclaim followers of this restrictive diet. "This is another diet that cuts out a lot of food groups and restricts your food choices to, well, mostly eggs," points out Nieves. While following this diet, which is very low in carbohydrates and high in protein, can help you shed excess pounds, the results are basically short term. "Many people have trouble sticking with this diet, mostly due to taste boredom," she explains. She also points out that it is not a dietary plan to be followed by individuals with diabetes, cholesterol problems, or heart issues.
Paleo foods - fish chicken leeks cabbage grapes melon nuts
Eating like a caveman is so B.C.or at least it should be, according to Heather Campbell, MS, RDN, LD, consultant dietitian. "Any diet that requires complete omission or serious restriction of entire food groups like carbohydrates or dairy can be problematic and create opportunities for nutrition deficiencies," she explains. "When your body isn't properly fueled with a balance of all of the needed nutrients, then it will be impossible to create sustainable changes you're looking for." While Keto may lead to initial results, she points out that it's not creating a lifestyle you can continue into the future, "then you're less likely to see permanent positive change in your health."
paleo vegetable variety
What do you get when you take the trendy caveman-style Paleo diet and remove almost everything that involves animal products? One of the worst diets of the year, according to health experts. This super restrictive diet only allows things like fruit, nuts, vegetables, seeds, and limited legumes. While it bands all dairy products, you are allowed to eat a tad of meat, so there's that at least. But in general, the super restrictive eating method is difficult to sustain.
RELATED: 11 Symptoms of COVID You Never Want to Get
Plant based raw food vegan food cooking background
If a diet seems too good to be true, it probably is! "Many fad diets don't have peer-reviewed science to back them up at all, like avoiding acidic foods for the Alkaline Diet, or using supplements or drinks to remove toxins from the body," explains Campbell, who points out that people with healthy and functioning organ systems, have an adequate detoxification system already built in. "One way to support your body's natural ability to remove toxins is to focus on healthy habits like drinking enough water, making half of every plate fruits and vegetables, and eating adequate sources of lean protein."
Female hand poured sugar into coffee, cappuccino
The best diet is one that emphasizes lean proteins, healthy fats and belly-filling fibers. The best new titles on the market that promote just that are: Sugar Free 3, during which you can eat all you want while giving up added sugars for just three weeks; The Goodful Cookbook, featuring simple and balanced recipes; and How Not to Diet, which speaks for itself. As for yourself: To get through this pandemic at your healthiest, don't miss these 35 Places You're Most Likely to Catch COVID.
- Weight Management Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2025 | Atkins, Brunswick, Ethicon Wall Street Call - Reported Times - November 30th, 2020
- The One Thing All Successful Weight Loss Diets Have in Common - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 20th, 2020
- 90 Day Fiance Stars Darcey Silva And Stacey Silva Are Getting HCG Injections To Lose Weight - Reality Tea - October 31st, 2020
- The Youth Fountain Offers Trusculpt Non-Invasive Body Sculpting - Press Release - Digital Journal - October 17th, 2020
- Want to maintain good health? Scrap those quick-fix diets - Times of India - October 16th, 2020
- Take the leap! Start your weight loss journey at Riverside Spine and Physical Medicine - Clarksville Now - September 8th, 2020
- Why Does My Stomach Hurt? 32 Causes Of Stomach Pain And Bloat - Women's Health - August 11th, 2020
- Weight Management Market New Investments Expected to boost the Demand by 2025 - Apsters News - June 30th, 2020
- HCG Diet And Exercise - 3 Tips For Faster Weight Loss (in ... - May 19th, 2020
- HCG Diet - Milwaukee Medical Weight Loss & Medispa - May 19th, 2020
- FAD DIETS Are they worth your time, effort and hunger? Are they safe? Lets see. - Gizmo Posts 24 - May 13th, 2020
- Want to lose weight fast? Pick the diet that suits you best - TheHealthSite - May 6th, 2020
- What Happens in the First Week of the Carnivore Diet? - The Good Men Project - March 9th, 2020
- HCG Weight Loss Diet: What Every Woman Needs to Know About ... - February 15th, 2020
- Genuine HCG Regimen - Along the Boards - February 7th, 2020
- How These Practitioners Can Help with New Year, New You Goals - Milwaukee Magazine - January 8th, 2020
- Doctor Creates All-Natural Patch to CURB the Appetite and Maintain Weight Loss - GlobeNewswire - January 3rd, 2020
- How to Mix HCG Injections: The Ultimate Guide - Science Times - December 25th, 2019
- EXCLUSIVE: Inside Meghan Edmonds Anorexic Looking Body! - All About The Tea - December 18th, 2019
- HCG Diet Plan: Get to Know the *REAL* Hcg Diet | HCG Diet ... - October 20th, 2019
- HCG Diet Plan - Comprehensive Menu & Meal Guide (Updated 2019) - October 20th, 2019
- Weight Loss Clinics | Lose Weight Fast | hCG Weight Loss ... - October 13th, 2019
- Not Losing Weight on the HCG Diet - Part 1 - hcgchica.com - October 12th, 2019
- HCG Injections | HCG Drops | Lose 10KGs in 30 Days With ... - October 11th, 2019
- Colin F Watson - HCG Diet Expert - HCG Coaching & Online ... - October 4th, 2019
- HCG Diet | HCG Diet Information | Your HCG Diet - October 4th, 2019
- HCG Diet Food List | Approved HCG Diet Foods - October 4th, 2019
- Medical Weight Loss Clinic in Utah | MD Diet Weight Loss ... - October 4th, 2019
- Benefits of hCG for Men on Testosterone Production ... - October 4th, 2019
- About HCG Diet - HCG Diet - October 2nd, 2019
- Effective & Safe Weight Loss Plan | The hCG Diet Australia - October 2nd, 2019
- Hcg Diet Average Weight Loss - How much will I lose? | HCG ... - September 7th, 2019
- How Much HCG Injections Dosage for Weight Loss ... - July 1st, 2019
- Average Weight Loss on the hCG Diet During 21 or 40 Days - June 21st, 2019
- How to Determine Your hCG Dosage for Weight Loss - June 21st, 2019
- The HCG Diet Plan | Rapid Weight Loss in Wilmington NC ... - June 5th, 2019
- HCG Diet - Soboba Medical Weight Loss Group - May 19th, 2019
- HCG Diet Recipes - HCG Weight Loss Recipes - May 19th, 2019
- How To Lose The Most Weight With The HCG Diet | Your HCG Diet - April 22nd, 2019
- The 800 Calorie HCG Diet Plan & Weight Loss - April 20th, 2019
- Boston HCG Diet - Rosy Sandhu, M.D. - HCG Weight Loss ... - March 31st, 2019
- The Right Way to Use HCG For Weight Loss (Not the HCG Diet) - March 13th, 2019
- Dr. Shauna Wright - Denver HCG Doctor - HCG Diet Denver - March 11th, 2019
- HCG and Weight Loss: What is the HCG diet protocol ... - February 7th, 2019
- HCG Weight Loss Las Vegas - TrimBody M.D - January 28th, 2019
- Loakhnauth Ramkishun, M.D. - Orlando HCG Diet and Weight ... - January 24th, 2019
- The Ultimate HCG Diet Plan - HCG Diet - January 20th, 2019
- HCG Diet Success Program - Lose 30-40 Lbs in Next 40 Days - December 29th, 2018
- HCG diet Coach - hCG Protocol | hCG Weight Loss - November 1st, 2018
- SAUNA-HCG Diet Indy & Weight Lose Fast - Supervision ... - July 23rd, 2018
- HCG Diet | Houston Weight Loss Clinic - July 23rd, 2018
- HCG Diet - Rapid Weight Loss Centers - May 13th, 2018
- Best HCG Drops Reviews 2018 Updated - Safe Weight Loss ... - April 28th, 2018
- HCG Diet Weight Loss Center in Everett Washington - Everett HCG Diet ... - April 11th, 2018
- 5 Best Selling HCG Diet Drops For Weight Loss: Buy The ... - April 6th, 2018
- HCG Diet Drops - HCG Diet - March 30th, 2018
- 156 HCG Diet Recipes for Maximum Weight Loss - HCG Diet - March 20th, 2018
- hCG Diet Information - Johannesburg Based Diet Weight Loss ... - February 15th, 2018
- Medical Weight Loss - Hormone Replacement Therapy and HCG ... - February 15th, 2018
- Hickory Weight Loss Medical Weight Loss using HCG ... - January 29th, 2018
- HCG Diet - Weight Loss | Body Solutions Rx Weight Loss ... - January 8th, 2018
- Everett HCG Diet | HCG Diet Weight Loss Center in Everett ... - December 25th, 2017
- hCG for Weight Loss Hendersonville TN, HCG Diet, HCG ... - December 22nd, 2017
- HCG Diet Program | Weight Loss Wilmington NC | Metro MediSpa - December 22nd, 2017
- 500 Cal diet w/HCG verses 500 Cal diet without - Weight ... - November 18th, 2017
- Hcg Diet Info - The Hcg Diet Plan Authority - Hcg Diet for ... - November 13th, 2017
- The hCG Diet Plan Dangers and Misleading Weight Loss ... - November 8th, 2017
- HCG Diet Virginia | Physician Supervised Weight Loss - October 24th, 2017
- Weight Loss Hendersonville TN, HCG Diet, Anti Aging, Diet ... - October 17th, 2017
- Review of HCG for Weight Loss: Injections and Drops - October 13th, 2017
- What is Hyperemesis Gravidarum? - Ahmedabad Mirror - September 6th, 2017
- HCG Diet Drops For Weight Loss : Everything You Should ... - September 4th, 2017
- What is hyperemesis gravidarum? Pregnant Kate Middleton again suffering rare severe morning sickness condition - Mirror.co.uk - September 4th, 2017
- The hCG Diet helped this woman lose 85 pounds, but this inspired her to keep the weight off - Yahoo Health - September 2nd, 2017
- weight loss program - Shape Magazine: Diet, fitness and ... - August 25th, 2017
- Ageless Wellness utilizes unique Ideal Protein protocol for weight loss - The Citizen.com - August 18th, 2017
- hCG Diet | hCG Protocol | hCG Weight Loss | hCG Diet ... - August 14th, 2017
- All-day morning sickness - Jamaica Observer - August 4th, 2017
- Effect of drugs on the brain ppt - Creatine kinase total serum high - The Maravi Post - July 31st, 2017
- 'There's nothing more annoying than a friend on a diet' - 9Honey - July 31st, 2017