Maybe it seems as ifTeen Momhas been around longer than 10 years because, when you're watching somebody grow up, it's hard to imagine they weren't always there.
And, oh yeah, their kids have gone from babies to tweens, too.
Amber Portwood, Maci Bookhouse, Catelynn Lowell and Farrah Abrahamand maybe not even MTV, for that mattercouldn't have known what they were signing up for, other than an opportunity and a little cash, when they agreed to let camerasinto their lives for16 and Pregnant.
"This is the real secret life of the American teenager,"Tony DiSanto, then President of Programming at MTV, said in announcing the six-episode docu-series, made in collaboration with theNational Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy.
MTV, a pioneer among reality-TV programmers, had guessed right again.
More than 71 million people tuned in over the course of the show,was regularly tops in viewers ages 12 to 34 in its time slot across all cable networks, and turned into the second-most streamed MTV show online, afterThe Hills.
And so, a few months later,Teen Mompremiered on Dec. 8, 2009, featuring four of the six girls from16 and Pregnantwho, within months, had become some of the most talked-about reality TV stars. And still are, for that matter.
Frankly, they've all had tumultuous rides, butthe now 29-year-old from Anderson, Ind., may have had the road studded with the most potholes.
She and then-boyfriend Gary Shirley welcomed their daughter Leah on Nov. 12, 2008. It was an immediate reality check for both of them and, despite the occasional sweet moment, they argued constantly, especially over money. Portwood, who would later admit she was abusing prescription drugs at the time, angrily took her frustrations out on Shirley, who moved out in 2010.
In June 2011 Portwood pleaded guilty todomestic battery and was sentenced to two years of probation and anger-management counseling. But a search of her house turned up drugs, resulting in another guilty pleain January 2012 and a suspended sentence, plus rehab.
After skipping a drug test and eventually dropping rehab, she went to jail that summerand in hindsight it may have been the best thing for her.
"It was time for me to stop partying and realize that even though I'm 21, I'm not a normal 21-year-oldI'm a mother," she wrote in a letter from jail that was read during a Teen Momreunion special that September. "Which means I have to grow up quicker and start acting like a mother."
While behind bars, she earned her high school diploma and completed a substance abuse program, then was released early, on Nov. 4, 2013, for good behavior.
In 2017 she opened up about previously avoiding medication, as a recovering addict, that she actually needed to treatbipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder. By then she had realized that she needed meds, but was "very proud to say" she was managingher conditions on a low dose.
In the meantime, boyfriend Matt Baierhad proposed in 2015, but theTeen Momaudience, while hoping for Amber's forever-happiness, didn't trust him. Baier releasing a tell-all book didn't help matters, and after they decided not to make a sex tape (they had a legit offer), and a trip to Marriage Bootcamp: Reality Stars 10Family Edition 2 didn't improve anything, they broke up for good in 2017.
However, she met Andrew Glennon later that year and they welcomed son James Andrew Glennon on May 8, 2018.
Portwood and Shirley went back and forth to court over custody for years, finally settling their differences.
"[Leah's]getting older and it's becoming to the point where she kind of decides when she wants to go back and forth and what she wants to do, which is a great thing," Portwood, who has shared custody,told Us Weekly last year. "It's easier that way, you know?"
Now Maci McKinney, the 28-year-old from Chattanooga, Tenn., also tried to make it work early on with Ryan Edwards, the father of her sonBentley Cadence Edwards, born Oct. 27, 2008(instances of people naming their kids Maci and Bentley ticked upwards thanks to Teen Mom). But after a brief engagement, they went their separate ways in 2010.
Maci dated childhood friend Kyle Kingand they even bought a house together, but that ended in 2012 after she caught him doing what, as far as she was concerned, amounted cheatingthough he maintained he didn't cheat, that he was just chatting with other women online.
But onward and upward. Maci soon met motocross racer Taylor McKinney. She didn't know who he was and, even though he quickly learned she was on TV, "He just treated me like I was Maci, some girl he'd met with his friends," she wrote in her 2016 memoirBulletproof."It was a breath of fresh air to be around someone new who didn't give a s--t about the TV show I was on."
Maci had been diagnosed withpolycystic ovary syndrome, which may have made it more difficult for her to get pregnant, but she and Taylorwelcomed daughterJayde Carter McKinney on May 29, 2015, and sonMaverick Reed McKinneyon May 31, 2016. They got married in Florida that October.
Robby Klein / @robbysphotos
Dealing with Bentley's dad hasn't been easy, and Maci and Taylor secured a two-year restraining order against Edwardsin 2018 after, they alleged, heleft voicemails threatening togo to their house and take Bentley.
Maci also accused Edwards of showing up totheir son's baseball game under the influence of heroin. (He was in rehab in 2017.) An attorney for Edwards explained that his client agreed to stay 100 feet away from Maci and Taylor andtheir two kids, which allowed him more freedom to be with Bentley.
"This gives Ryan a lot more protection against any false allegations, allows him to avoid getting arrested without a hearing first, and allows him to be around his son most importantly," the lawyer said.
Maci told E! News this past June, on the eve ofTeen Mom's (by thenTeen Mom O.G.) eighth season premiere, that Taylor had been very supportive throughout all these issues with Ryan and, "through therapy and counseling, him understanding that when I'm talking about it or being affected by it, it's okay for him to not do anything but just be there and that's helped a lot."
She reflected, "I could look at Taylor now and think back to when we first started dating or before we were married and he's still the same person but he's also different in many ways. When you think of everything we've been through, it's pretty incredible that we still love each other."
No one started off with a more fraught journey than the 28-year-old from Council Bluffs, Iowa, whogave birth to daughter Sophia on Feb. 23, 2009two months after the baby's father, Derek Underwood, was killed in a car crash.
They had broke up by then, but there was never any chance to reconcile.
"The last time I saw Derek was when I was five months pregnant," Farrah revealed on a 2016 episode of Teen Mom O.G. "My dad and Derek pulled knives on each other and called the cops on each other and it was really sad."
Derek's stepmother, Debra Underwood, insisted to Radar Online in 2016 that Farrahwas athoughtful, attentive mom who brought Sophia to visit her paternal grandparents and took the child toDerek's grave site every year, real-life behavior that didn't necessarily cohere with the image of a drama queenwhomade a sex tape with a porn star, overhauled her face and body with plastic surgery, and regularly feuded with fellowTeen Momstars.
"When Farrah calls, we're here...I think if you treat Farrah with respect, she treats you with respect," Debra said.
Farrah left her mother's homein 2011 and enrolled at the Fort Lauderdale Institute of Art to get an associate degree in culinary art and management. She attempted a musical career and got to work on a memoir.
In her 2012 bookMy Teenage Dream Ended, she lamented losing Derek andwrote of explosive fights with her mom, Debra Danielson (who wascharged with domestic assault in January 2010 for allegedly choking and hitting her daughter during an untelevised argument about, according to the police report, "child care issues as well as other problems."She pleaded to a lesser charge and was given a 30-day suspended jail sentence).
After reconciling enough so that Farrah was her mom's maid of honor when she remarried in November 2017, Danielson caused another riff by accusing Farrah of instigating the 2010 fight in her own memoir,Vapor: A True Story of How I Fell Victim to Catfishing.
"I love her and always wish her the best," Farrah told Radar in response to the book. "...Mothers should be the one person in this crazy world who they can confide in and celebrate with rather than continually receive cruel behavior."
Farrah leftTeen Mom O.G. in 2017 and subsequently sued MTV, accusing the network of firing her because she was continuing to pursue adult entertainment opportunities; in a statement, MTV wished her the best and said that her claims were "without merit."
She dropped the claim last year after the two sides reached a settlement.
In the meantime, Farrah and Sophia are constant companions, whether they're on a red carpet or traveling to Paris together, and the 10-year-old is serving up poses right alongside her mom.
But while one look at the comments on her Instagram posts prove that Farrahand her approach to parenting remaincontroversial, she's not neglecting the reality of her and her daughter's situation.
"We do a lot of family therapy because of her not having her father and also being in the public eye," she revealed on Heather McDonald'sJuicy Scooppodcast in October. Farrah said that Sophiawas being home-schooled online, in part to avoid bullies.
But "Sophia doesn't pay attention to cyber bullying," the proud mom said. "She is just totally overcoming it."
Now she'sCatelynn Baltierra, the only one of the O.G. four who stayed with her boyfriend fromSixteen and Pregnant.
She and Taylor Baltierra were also the only couple to put their child, a daughter, up for adoptionin spite of the objections from both of their families (which they shared, Tyler's dad, Butch, having married Catelynn's mom, April, after meeting once their kids were datingand Tyler lived with his mom). Only kids themselves, it was an unfathomably hard choice, but they stuck with it and held on to each other for support.
Theyhad daughter NovaLee Reign in January 2015 and got married that August.
Since then, they've had their problems (they've been together since seventh grade, after all), but remain committed.
Catelynn hasundergone treatment for depressionseveral times, including early last year after she suffered a miscarriage in late 2017, and both of them struggled. Tyler sought to make a big lifestyle change, quitting smoking and eventually showing off his 40-pound weight loss in June 2018.
"Happy anniversary to my husband!" Catelynn wrote that August. "We have had some really rough times and some amazing times. I wouldn't want to go through this life with anyone but you!!!! Happy 3 years and I can't wait for many more! I love you."
Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images
The next month they revealed that they were expecting again, but bythe end of 2018, they were on a trial separation, living in different houses for 30 days while they focused individually on their mental health.
When daughter Vaeda Luma was born on Feb. 21, they wereback together, and they've said the time apart made them stronger.
"I think the biggest misconception people had about the trial separation was that like, 'Oh my God, since you're gonna live separate and do this then you're automatically going to get a divorce, or you're automatically gonna wanna see other people,'" Catelynn told E! News in June. "And it wasn't even like that. I feel like when we said the word 'separation' people blew it out of proportion of what it really was. It wasn't as severe as how people were thinking it was."
Brittni Marie Photography/Four 13 Photography
Catelynn and Tyler, notably, have also continued to have inevitably emotionalannual visits with their firstborn, Carly,whowas adopted by Brandon and Teresa Davis. Carly also knows both of her sisters.
"At the end of the day, regardless of what's going on personally with me and [Catelynn] or Brandon and Theresa, seeing all those girls together, it's like, this is what it's all about," Tyler said on the latest season of Teen Mom OG. "Whatever we have to do to make sure this happens all the time, it is important for the kids."
These kids, they grow up so fast.
- Intuitive eating: What is it, and can it help with weight loss? - TODAY - July 30th, 2020
- Meal logging & lesson completion tied to greater weight loss among Livongo DPP users - MobiHealthNews - July 30th, 2020
- The Best Fiber Sources to Lose Weight, Including Belly Fat - Prevention.com - July 30th, 2020
- Heart health by the numbers: 5 easy ways to keep tabs on your ticker - Gaston Gazette - July 30th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Estimated to be Driven by Innovation and Industrialization 2017 to 2026 - eRealty Express - July 30th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting & Keto: Should You Combine These Two Diets? - Prevention.com - July 30th, 2020
- The balance between weight gain and weight loss is figured out by what time you eat - Drew Reports News - July 30th, 2020
- Weight loss: Replace your dinner with this nutritious Barley Soup - Times of India - July 30th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Market Future Growth Prospect with COVID-19 Pandemic Impact Till 2026 | Weight Watchers, Abbott Nutrition, The... - July 30th, 2020
- For Preventing and Managing Diabetes, Education is Key - Prince William Living - July 30th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Share, Trends, With Expected Grow To 2028 | Apollo Endosurgery, Jenny Craig, eDiets.com, Johnson Health Tech... - July 28th, 2020
- Doctors in England to Be Offered Incentives to Help People Lose Weight - Medscape - July 28th, 2020
- The Lightness of Being a Couch Potato May Work to Keep Us Fat - The New York Times - July 28th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Share, Growth Analysis, Trends (Impact of Covid-19) Forecast 2025 | Herbalife, Technogym,... - July 28th, 2020
- Massive Growth Of Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Size By 2019 to 2026 |Strong Revenue and Competitive Outlook - Bandera County Courier - July 25th, 2020
- Is It Really Safe To Return To The Gym? - Forbes - July 25th, 2020
- Feel Full Longer and Keep Pounds down with Fiber! - The Great Courses Daily News - July 25th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Segmentation By Qualitative And Quantitative Research Incorporating Impact Of Economic and Non-Economic... - July 25th, 2020
- Forces Beyond Their Control Dash Dreams Of U.S. Olympic Athletes Then And Now - NPR - July 25th, 2020
- Best supplements for weight loss: A supplement proven to reduce fat and lower cholesterol - Express - July 25th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Management Product Market Structure Analysis for the Period 2025 - Market Research Posts - July 25th, 2020
- Why Walking Might Be One of the Best Exercises For Health - Discover Magazine - July 25th, 2020
- New prescription pill that could help you lose weight approved by FDA - The Star Online - July 25th, 2020
- 7 Impressive Health Benefits Of Aerobic Exercise Other Than Weight Loss - NDTV - July 25th, 2020
- Excess weight can increase risk of serious illness and death from COVID-19 - Leamington Observer - July 25th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Weight Management Diets Market Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - Express Journal - July 7th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- Biomega Unveils Whitepaper on Role of Salmon Peptides in Supporting Cardiovascular Health - Pet Business Magazine - July 7th, 2020
- Coronavirus: How will the pandemic and lockdown change us? - World Economic Forum - July 7th, 2020
- Dom Sibley inspired to lose weight by work ethic of senior England players - The Guardian - July 7th, 2020
- What Is The Sirtfood DietAnd Can It Help You Lose Weight? - Pulse Nigeria - July 7th, 2020
- GPs in the UK could soon get paid to send obese patients to slimming classes - Mirror Online - July 7th, 2020
- All You Need To Know About Circuit Training Diet and Eating Right - Femina - July 7th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting: All You Need to Know - Techstory - July 7th, 2020
- New NICE indicators are interesting because they are likely to make it into QOF - Pulse - July 7th, 2020
- MON AM News: UW-Madison to test if persons significant other helps their weight loss process; Holiday weekend brings record COVID-19 cases -... - July 6th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Projected to be Resilient by 2026 - Jewish Life News - July 6th, 2020
- Trending: Weight Loss and Weight Management Product Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 | Atkins... - July 6th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Weight Management Supplements Market to Witness Amway, Nestle SA, Herbalife, Abbott Nutrition, Atkins, Glanbia,... - July 6th, 2020
- 5 Potential opponents for Sage Northcutts return to the ONE Circle - Sportskeeda - July 6th, 2020
- 6 Reasons Learning to Swim Can Be Highly Useful - Swimming World Magazine - July 6th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market Size, Analysis, Trends and Segmented Data by Top Companies and Opportunities 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Thrive Patch for Weight Loss? Here's Everything You Need to Know - Health Writeups - July 6th, 2020
- Exclusive: Taapsee Pannu's Nutritionist shares about acid reflux and the RIGHT way to treat it - PINKVILLA - July 6th, 2020
- Mobile Streams tries its arm at an SaaS offering - Proactive Investors UK - July 6th, 2020
- Swimming makes you hungrier and likely to eat more at the next meal: New research - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - July 6th, 2020
- CardieX strengthens partnership and collaboration deal with US-based inHealth Medical - Proactive Investors Australia - July 6th, 2020
- City Briefs: Filtronic; OptiBiotix; and more | TheBusinessDesk.com - The Business Desk - July 6th, 2020
- Trimming the Fat: Weight Loss Strategies for the Overweight Horse - United States Eventing Association - June 20th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss Supplements Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast To 2026 - Medic Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Novo Nordisk successfully completes AM833 phase 2 trial and phase 1 combination trial with AM833 and semaglutide in obesity - GlobeNewswire - June 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Supplements Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2025 - Galus Australis - June 20th, 2020
- Herd health can be improved Wyoming Livestock Roundup - Wyoming Livestock Roundup - June 20th, 2020
- The Alkaline Diet: Is There Evidence That It Benefits Our Health? - Discover Magazine - June 20th, 2020
- Obalon Announces First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Business Update - GlobeNewswire - June 20th, 2020
- If You've Got $5,000 to Invest, These 5 Top Stocks Are the Real Deal - Motley Fool - June 20th, 2020
- 10 Pieces of Kit That Will Help You Drop Weight and Gain Muscle at Home - Men's health UK - June 20th, 2020
- Trending News: Weight Control Market Overview and Competitive Landscape 2020 to 2025: Abbott Nutrition, Bio-Synergy, Ajinomoto - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- Functional Carbohydrates Market to Exhibit Rapid Surge in Consumption in the COVID-19 Crisis - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- Whale-watching boat noise found to disrupt mother and calf resting times - The Guardian - June 20th, 2020
- Future of Weight Management Reviewed in a New Study Medic Report - Medic Insider - June 19th, 2020
- Sales of Weight Loss Services to Accelerate from Key End use Industries Buoyed By High Demand During COVID 19 Pandemic - Cole of Duty - June 19th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 19th, 2020
- If you think you can eat salads to lose weight, read this! - Times of India - June 19th, 2020
- 'Why I Opened The First LGBTQ Gym In The Nation' - Women's Health - June 19th, 2020
- Xeris Pharmaceuticals Announces Positive Topline Results from the Phase 2 Comparative Study of a Novel Pramlintide-insulin Co-formulation (XP-3924) in... - June 19th, 2020
- International Yoga Day 2020: Yoga asanas PM Modi swears by and how you can do them - TheHealthSite - June 19th, 2020
- Functional Food Ingredients Market Analysis, Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast up to 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 19th, 2020
- The GOLO Diet: What it is and can it help with weight loss? - TODAY - June 18th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Beverages Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2026 - Flagler Times - June 18th, 2020
- NeonMind Files Patent Application for Therapeutic Use of DMT - Yahoo Finance - June 18th, 2020
- Drink This Kadi Patta (Curry Leaf) Juice Every Morning To Promote Weight Loss And Detox - NDTV Food - June 18th, 2020
- Why WW International Stock Jumped Today - The Motley Fool - June 18th, 2020
- Health Experts Explain the Link Between Chronic Illness and Healthy Eating - Prevention.com - June 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Market 2020-2025: by Key Manufacturers with Countries, Type, Application and Forecast Till 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Theres A New Fermented, Zero Calories Sugar On The Market (and It Actually Tastes Like Real Sugar) - Forbes - June 18th, 2020
- Global Minimally Invasive Weight Loss (Bariatric) Devices 2020 Industry Analysis, Segments, Value Chain and Key Trends 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Body Fat Measurement Market to witness major growth in coming years - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Global Weight Control Supplements Market 2020 Business Outlook with COVID-19 Scenario Analysis and Forecast 2026 - Weekly Wall - June 18th, 2020
- Trending 2020 Report on Corporate Wellness Management Market Share, Growth, Demand, Trends, Region Wise Analysis of Top Players and Forecasts - Cole... - June 18th, 2020