Here are some New Years resolutions that are better than losing your quarantine pounds. (eda can, iStock via Getty Images)
Every year around this time, we set resolutions. We have no real intention of keeping these promises, but kid ourselves for a week or two.And, honestly, it feels nice.
Many times, we include a goal to lose weight. This year, that particular resolution will be even more top-of-mind for some, given the effects that the pandemic has had on the poor, sad little bodies we live in.
But losing weight is not a good resolution. Dont get me wrong: I am all about being physically and mentally healthy, eating well, exercising and journaling. But ones overall health is far greater than what a scale says. Body shaming ourselves and others for how we look is trash.
Lets leave all the trash in 2020.
So some of us at The Know came up with 10 resolutions to consider in the new year, ones that are significantly better for you than losing your quarantine weight.
Weve all picked up too many hobbies while in quarantine, and cannot possibly keep them up. Its too much! For example, at one point or another this year I have decided to become a piano player, chef, artist, astronomer, author, botanist, furniture-flipper and TikTok influencer. I was not successful at any of these endeavors. But more importantly, I did not enjoy half of them. So I gave them up. And thats OK! Im not about to waste my evening stabbing at keys while trying to master a Mozart sonata just so I can justify buying a keyboard.
Did I exist yesterday, a week ago, a month ago? Did you? I couldnt say. It doesnt matter. Time isnt real. Lets lean in.
So, you dont like Taylor Swift. You think Kristen Stewart cant act. You full-heartedly believe In-N-Out Burger is mediocre. Thats nice, but no one cares. Stop getting mad at people who get excited about things just because you dont share their joy. They found happiness in a sea of sadness. Stop drowning them in negativity.
We bought a skeleton from Target to celebrate Halloween this year. Hes now sitting under our Christmas tree. When the Christmas tree leaves, hell stay. He is our skeleton now, and our skeleton can stay forevermore. So keep your Christmas lights up until January. Heck, keep them up until July. Why not? As previously discussed, time doesnt exist.
Some days, I dress up to work at home so I can cosplay as a normal person. Other times, I wear the same running shorts two days in a row. Have my clothing choices impacted my productivity? No. When we return to our newsroom, I plan to present management with a petition to normalize sweatpant use. I encourage you to do the same.
If you havent started therapy, youre really missing out. Its all the rage these days. Treat yourself by setting up an appointment with someone who is paid to hear you talk about yourself as you cry. (This is not meant to belittle the benefits of therapy, honest.)
Many a Coloradan was already leading a dehydrated life before the pandemic. And then we started having multiple breakdowns a week. Add this to our significantly increased hand sanitizer usage and our bodies have turned into ashy raisins. Rectify this by drinking more water. The best way to pick up a new habit is totie it to an existing one. In this instance, drink a glass of water every time you cry. Your emotional and physical self will thank you.
My therapist shout out to Resolution No. 6! once described our energy levels as spoons. We only have a finite number of spoons, and once you run out, youre out. For example, if you use up all those spoons at work, youll have no spoons left for activities after work, such as playing a rousing game of thefun, family-favorite Spoons. As you go about your days, think of your spoons and how you plan to use them. And if you need to be lazy so you can stock up on more spoons, do it!
Obviously, you shouldnt join a real cult. But consider joining a fandom! Everyone needs friends who support them, and its nice when those friends share your interests. These cults fandomscan take many forms. I enjoy astrology, so force all my friends to download the Co-Star app so I can stalk their birth charts (shout out to my fellow Tauruses!). My fiance loves the K-Pop band BTS so spends half her time sending concert videos to fellow stans. My mom was in Greek Life in college so does weekly Zoom calls with her sorority sisters. Go find yourself a nice community of people who share your random fanaticism and make some friends. But, like, dont join an actual cult.
If theres one thing this pandemic has taught us, its that we need to support one another. Order takeout from local restaurants. Buy a book from a local independent bookstore. Get a record from a local musician. Pay for local journalism. And wear a mask.
Elizabeth Hernandez and Josie Sexton contributed to this fascinating report.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter, In The Know, to get entertainment news sent straight to your inbox.
- 7-day diet plan for weight loss: Here is what to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner to lose fat - Times Now - January 15th, 2021
- Tips for that post-holiday diet and how to lose weight after the holidays - ABC 4 - January 15th, 2021
- Five ways you lose all that holiday weight - Yahoo Canada Shine On - January 15th, 2021
- Sherri Shepherd and HealthyWage Partner to Pay $10,000 to Dieters Achieving Weight Loss Goal - Black Enterprise - January 15th, 2021
- This Tea May Help You Lose Weight While Sleeping - Researchers Reveal - NDTV Food - January 15th, 2021
- Local dieticians give advice on how to lose weight and keep it off - 69News WFMZ-TV - January 15th, 2021
- Americans blame mindless eating and weight gain on doom-scrolling and boredom - Yahoo Entertainment - January 15th, 2021
- If Youre Planning On Losing Weight In 2021, Think Before You Tell Me About It - Refinery29 - January 15th, 2021
- Weight loss transformation of Bollywood celebrities that left us stunned - Yahoo Finance UK - January 15th, 2021
- 21 Ways to Get a Flat Belly After 40, According to Experts | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - January 15th, 2021
- If You Want To Keep Your New Years Resolution, Stop Doing These 3 Things - CBS Denver - January 15th, 2021
- Genes and diet can play a role in developing Type 2 diabetes - Norton Healthcare - January 15th, 2021
- Is jogging good for weight loss? Here are 5 cardio exercises that will keep your weight in check - Times Now - January 15th, 2021
- Add more of this vitamin in your diet to lose weight in winter - Times of India - January 3rd, 2021
- Green tea may help you lose weight by boosting your metabolism, powering your workout, and more - Insider - INSIDER - January 3rd, 2021
- Weight loss: How to lose weight fast - top fat burning snacks - Express - January 3rd, 2021
- 'I Counted Calories And Did Resistance Training To Lose 60 PoundsAnd I've Kept It Off For 3 Years' - Women's Health - January 3rd, 2021
- Lose weight and enjoy food in 2021 with exclusive recipes from cookery sensations Pinch of Nom - The Sun - January 3rd, 2021
- 'I had a son I needed to be around for': Edmonton father develops own weight loss app - Edmonton Journal - January 3rd, 2021
- 'Why I will never resolve to lose weight again' - 9Honey - January 3rd, 2021
- Weight loss: "I replaced refined oils with cold-pressed oils" - Times of India - January 3rd, 2021
- Jerry Brewer: Tallying up a year of loss - A lot of pounds, too many loved ones, countless connections - The Spokesman-Review - January 3rd, 2021
- 6 foods that boost your metabolism and may help you lose weight - Yahoo News - January 3rd, 2021
- 'At 180kgs, I decided to quit dieting. Quit trying to lose weight. Hopefully forever.' - Mamamia - January 3rd, 2021
- Eastern Panhandle health officials offer new years resolution advice - Martinsburg Journal - January 3rd, 2021
- Soft Belly Fat vs Hard Belly Fat: Which is more difficult to lose and why? - TheHealthSite - January 3rd, 2021
- If you added some pandemic pounds in 2020, try setting goals and changing habits in 2021 - Anchorage Daily News - January 3rd, 2021
- Six reasons why you are not losing weight - The Standard - December 17th, 2020
- 7 ways to stay motivated on your weight loss journey, according to a dietitian - Insider - INSIDER - December 17th, 2020
- Want to lose weight fast? Add these Ayurvedic herbs to your diet - TheHealthSite - December 17th, 2020
- Weight loss: I followed 16 hours of daily fasting and walked every day - Times of India - December 17th, 2020
- 7 reasons to stop complimenting others on weight loss - KSL.com - December 17th, 2020
- New Survey Finds 71 Million Americans Have Gained Weight Throughout the Pandemic - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Weight loss: Biggest celebrity weight loss stories of 2020 - Times of India - December 17th, 2020
- New survey finds 71 million Americans have gained weight during the COVID-19 pandemic - Boston Herald - December 17th, 2020
- Still carrying extra lockdown weight? Here's five great offers to help... - Cambridge Independent - December 17th, 2020
- 71 Million Americans Have Gained Weight Throughout the Pandemic - Essence - December 17th, 2020
- In 2021, say goodbye to restrictive diets and hello to Noom - CNN - December 17th, 2020
- Marvel Star Chris Pratt Admitted He Had Body Image Issues Before Losing Weight for 'Guardians of the Galaxy' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 17th, 2020
- Fennel Seeds for Gas and Bloating: We Take a Long, Hard Sniff - Greatist - December 17th, 2020
- Walking vs. running: Weight loss, heart health, and more - Medical News Today - December 10th, 2020
- Lose The Weight With Sonya Jones - thejournal-news.net - December 10th, 2020
- 'Pressured to lose weight', Sport News & Top Stories - The Straits Times - December 10th, 2020
- Eat well to stay well is the favourite recipe to your weight loss success - Belfast Telegraph - December 10th, 2020
- Ghislaine Maxwell Losing Weight and Hair in Prison on Jeffrey Epstein Charges: Lawyer - Newsweek - December 10th, 2020
- Lorry driver so overweight he had to be carried by forklift loses half his body weight - Wales Online - December 10th, 2020
- Why 'Little House on the Prairie' Star Melissa Sue Anderson Was Told to Lose Weight When She Was Cast as Mary Ingalls - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 10th, 2020
- How to Safely Exercise in the Dark - msnNOW - December 10th, 2020
- Ability to lose weight is not affected by age - Medical News Today - December 9th, 2020
- Lose Weight and Stay Sane This Season! The Energy Balance Equation - The Great Courses Daily News - December 9th, 2020
- 4 Simple Lifestyle Changes You Can Make To Lose Weight By The Holidays - SheFinds - December 9th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting: The Beginners Guide to Time-Restricted Eating, 5:2 Diets, and Other Forms of Intermittent Fasting - GQ - December 9th, 2020
- What are probiotic foods and how they help lose weight and belly fat - Times of India - December 9th, 2020
- Weight loss: Reset these hormones to lose stubborn belly fat - TheHealthSite - December 9th, 2020
- Weight Loss: All The Reasons Why You Should Be Eating Eggs In Winter - NDTV - December 9th, 2020
- Losing weight and raising pounds for the East Cheshire Hospice - In Your Area - December 9th, 2020
- How To Lose Weight In Unprecedented Times With Nico Dandini, Fitness Professional And Coach At Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning - Yahoo Finance - December 9th, 2020
- It's never too late to ramp up your retirement savingshere's how to get started later in life - MarketWatch - December 9th, 2020
- Did Aamir Khan drop Vijay Sethupati from Laal Singh Chaddha for not losing weight, here's the truth - IBTimes India - December 9th, 2020
- Peloton star Tunde Oyeneyin shares her tips for self-care and staying disciplined: 'Focus on what you want to gain' - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 9th, 2020
- 7 common reasons why you're not losing weight and tips to help you shed stubborn pounds - Insider - INSIDER - December 8th, 2020
- Here's Everything You Need to Know About Losing Weight by Walking - News18 - December 8th, 2020
- Reverse Dieting: Can it Actually Help You Lose Weight? - News18 - December 8th, 2020
- Try this healthy way to lose weight - Times of India - December 8th, 2020
- Important Things to Consider When Choosing a Weight Loss Plan - ABCmoney.co.uk - December 8th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I started having jeera water, chia seeds water, green tea and black coffee - Times of India - December 8th, 2020
- One item to add to your wellness tool kit this holiday season! - 100 Mile House Free Press - December 8th, 2020
- Gen Z teens dieting and worrying about weight 'more than previous generations' - Wales Online - December 8th, 2020
- Peloton star Tunde Oyeneyin shares her tips for self-care and staying disciplined: 'Focus on what you want to gain' - Yahoo Canada Shine On - December 8th, 2020
- TikTok investigating videos promoting starvation and anorexia - The Guardian - December 8th, 2020
- Gaining weight can be difficult but here are the safest ways to do it - The Conversation UK - November 27th, 2020
- 7 Low-Carb Diet Foods That Can Help You Lose Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 27th, 2020
- Health tips for men: Lifestyle changes that will help you lose weight and improve your overall health - fingerlakes1.com - November 27th, 2020
- Age No Barrier to Weight Loss in Those With Morbid Obesity - Medscape - November 27th, 2020
- Age Doesn't Matter When It Comes to Losing Weight, Study - Science Times - November 27th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I have a hot cup of amla jeera water every morning - Times of India - November 27th, 2020
- Weight loss: "My IT career made me pile on 25 kilos! Here is how I lost it and became a bodybuilder" - Times of India - November 27th, 2020
- 3 inspiring tips that helped this woman lose 95 kilograms - 7NEWS.com.au - November 27th, 2020
- Jeff Dana of Prolean Wellness will show you how to lose weight during the holidays - Yahoo News - November 27th, 2020
- 5 Smoothie Rules You Must Follow to Lose Weight - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - November 27th, 2020