So you eat a handful of almonds every day. Great as this way you are ensuring enough vitamin E that stimulates the production of natural killer cells, the ones that seek out and destroy germs, along with other potent nutrients from the popular nut. But now it's time to look beyond the tried and tested and expand our gamutof good foods based on some new nutrients that we now know as absolutely brilliant for us.
For example, we now know that we can get our daily dose of vitamin E from wheat germ too.
This too is full of vitamin E, and also contains a phytonutrient called L-ergothioneine, which is a super powerful antioxidant not destroyed by cooking and one that you can add safely to your cakes, cookies, porridge et al.
This antioxidant helps conserve and maintain the levels of other antioxidants such as vitamins E and C and glutathione, and also protects us from the damaging effects of environmental UV rays.
Talking of nuts, we already know that walnutis a super star nut as it is loaded with good quality protein, and myriad nutrients like selenium, phosphorous, zinc, manganese, magnesium, vitamin E and more. But not many know that some phytonutrients found in walnuts - for example, the quinone jug lone - are found in virtually no other commonly eaten foods.
Other phytonutrients - like the tannin tellimagrandin or the flavonol morin - are also rare and valuable.
Score walnuts for rare phytonutrients.
All these anti-inflammatory and antioxidant phytonutrients help explain the decreased risk of certain cancers - including prostate cancer and breast cancer - that walnut consumption is linked to.
If you want to score the right omega 3, stick to animal products (including dairy) from animals that are fed on green grass (and not grains) as this way you ensure CLA (conjugated Linoleic acid) in your diet, which is brilliant at fighting weight gain, particularly around the dangerous abdomen area. So when going for yoghurt, buttermilk, meat, butter, milk, eggs, avoid the grain fed source.
Then there's lecithin present in bee pollen whose importance has lately come to light. Lecithin helps dissolve and flush fat from the body and that is how bee pollen helps lowers low-density lipoproteins (LDL) faster than any other food while also increasing the helpful high-density lipoproteins (HDL).
The missing vitamins
Very few of us know the importance of vitamin K2, which is as essential for our bones and joints as the much publicised vitamin D. That is because it is essential for activating enzymes that are involved in transporting calcium from the arterial walls to the bones.
Score vitamin K2 from egg yolk.
It is also important to keep heart disease and diabetes away. Unlike Vitamin K1, which is found in green leafy vegetables, K2 is found in fermented foods, certain cheeses such as Brie and Gouda and grass-fed organic animal products (that is egg yolk, butter, dairy et al).
Biotin is a water soluble B vitamin that one can score from carrots, almonds, walnuts, strawberries, onions and egg yolk. It is needed for healthy nerve, metabolic, cardiovascular and digestive functions and also helps naturally thicken hair, nails and beautify our skin. It's a beauty vitamin.
Ever wonder what salmon, shrimp and lobster have in common? Their brilliant red colour is a result of Astaxanthin, the multi-talented antioxidant, which is the newest super star in the realm of anti-ageing.
It protects the cells from the most damaging forms of free radicals - improves skin elasticity and reduces the appearance of fine lines.
DMAE is a known cognitive enhancer.
There's another super star substance found in fish, sardines and salmon and that is DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol). DMAE is a known cognitive enhancer, that is, it helps boost memory and the body's problem-solving ability by improving nerve function.
Another bonus is that DMAE when eaten in larger amounts can increase muscle tone and therefore decrease the sagging of our skin too.
It's time to begin plating all new ingredients to score an even healthier body.
Also read: The truth about superfoods you need to know
See more here:
10 new nutrients you should be eating right away - DailyO
- Intermittent Fasting with Cannabis: Can You Use CBD and Marijuana on the IF Diet Plan? - HealthMJ - January 15th, 2020
- Is It Safe to Eat Mango If You Have Diabetes? - Healthline - January 15th, 2020
- Thousands of people in Yorkshire living without cookers, washing machines and fridges - Yorkshire Post - January 15th, 2020
- This Is Your Body On Red Meat - HuffPost - January 15th, 2020
- How to choose a 2020 diet based on science - Inverse - January 15th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting is the most searched diet trend of 2019 - Irish Mirror - January 15th, 2020
- Health Department cites 2 teen treatment facilities on Big Island - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - January 15th, 2020
- High blood pressure: Adding this shrub to your tea could lower your reading - Express - January 15th, 2020
- New State of the Science Medical Program Targets the Obesity Epidemic - Yahoo Finance - January 15th, 2020
- 'The Biggest Loser' is coming back. Here's what you need to know about the controversial weight-loss show. - INSIDER - January 15th, 2020
- Overspill of fat shown to cause Type 2 Diabetes - Devdiscourse - January 7th, 2020
- What have the Raptors learned from this stretch of injuries? - Raptors Republic - January 7th, 2020
- Zoho CEO slammed for being guest at RSS event, he retorts that he works as per conscience - The News Minute - January 7th, 2020
- GROWING OLD UNGRACEFULLY: Last Food Rant of the Year - Lost Coast Outpost - January 6th, 2020
- Processing, pkg and dvpt of space foods | FNB News - fnbnews.com - January 6th, 2020
- Is It Moral To Oppose The Use Of Pesticides? - Science 2.0 - January 6th, 2020
- How to gain weight safely and healthily - cosmopolitan.com - January 5th, 2020
- Henry Cavill Prepared for Shirtless 'The Witcher' Scenes in This Extreme and Dangerous Way - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 5th, 2020
- Veganuary: What hopeful vegans need to know before giving up meat in 2020 - Inverse - January 5th, 2020
- Anorexia is the deadliest mental illness. Why is the NHS still not taking it seriously? - The Guardian - January 5th, 2020
- How to shave hundreds of calories off your favourite meals to lose weight in 2020 - Birmingham Live - January 5th, 2020
- Study reveals what causes type 2 diabetes and how to reverse it - Medical News Today - January 5th, 2020
- Things You Should Probably Never Order at a Restaurant - 24/7 Wall St. - January 5th, 2020
- Vets reveal the 10 common mistakes people make with their pets - INSIDER - January 5th, 2020
- Business Ideas for 2020: Premium and tailored pet food - Startups.co.uk - January 2nd, 2020
- The Safe and Doable Guide to Losing 100+ Pounds in a Year - LIVESTRONG.COM - January 1st, 2020
- Best and worst diets to follow in the year 2020 - TheHealthSite - January 1st, 2020
- A better you in 2020: Earth-care - The Register-Guard - January 1st, 2020
- New Year and New Decade resolutions for Denver, by Denverites you know or should know - Denverite - January 1st, 2020
- Perihelion Day' Is When Earth Is Closest to the Sun so Why Is It So Cold? - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 1st, 2020
- Local leaders offer their Happy New Year wishes - Wilkes Barre Times-Leader - January 1st, 2020
- Leave These Nutrition Myths Behind in 2019 - Lifehacker Australia - December 31st, 2019
- Why We Ditched Corporate to Empower Women & Girls - SWAAY - December 31st, 2019
- How to tell when babies can eat baby food, and which foods to start with - INSIDER - December 31st, 2019
- Asheville food trends: What experts got right, wrong, and what's up for 2020 - Citizen Times - December 31st, 2019
- Best supplements for weight loss: Taking this supplement could help you lose weight - Express - December 30th, 2019
- Is sugar in fruit good or bad for your health? - The New Times - December 30th, 2019
- Yearly Planner 2020: We have reviewed six planners available online and here's what we think - Indulgexpress - December 30th, 2019
- Fat from your liver may enter the pancreas and trigger type 2 diabetes - TheHealthSite - December 30th, 2019
- 'Is Butter a Carb?' and Other Questions to Stop Asking Now That Keto Is Canceled - Jezebel - December 27th, 2019
- Solar Eclipse December 2019: How does it affect the sleep and the dietary patterns? - Republic World - Republic World - December 27th, 2019
- Did we really survive 2019? It's hard to tell - CalvinAyre.com - December 27th, 2019
- Eating to Heal the Mind - PsychCentral.com - December 27th, 2019
- Warning: This column contains spoilers (and is that really my problem?) - The London Free Press - December 27th, 2019
- Overspill of fat to pancreas shown to cause Type 2 Diabetes - Specialty Medical Dialogues - December 27th, 2019
- Surya Grahan 2019 in India: How to watch annular Solar Eclipse today and what precautions should you take - Times of India - December 26th, 2019
- Streetsies 2019: The Best Transportation Project of the Year - Streetsblog St. Louis - December 26th, 2019
- Excess Fat That Spills From the Liver into the Pancreas May Cause Type 2 Diabetes - Interesting Engineering - December 26th, 2019
- Epilepsy and the keto diet: Can diet help with seizures? - Medical News Today - December 25th, 2019
- 10 health recommendations for successful New Year's resolutions - Midland Daily News - December 25th, 2019
- Tackling Inflammation to Fight Age-Related Ailments - The New York Times - December 25th, 2019
- State of the US pet food and treat industry, 2019 - Pet Food Processing - December 25th, 2019
- Fitness, focus and fun - The New Indian Express - December 25th, 2019
- Every Seed Has a Story - Food Tank - December 25th, 2019
- What is the Mediterranean Diet? Plan, Food List, and Using It for Weight Loss - Parade - December 21st, 2019
- We tried Tom Bradys TB12 workout. Heres what it was like - The Boston Globe - December 21st, 2019
- 'I Used Kelsey Wells' PWR Program And Lost 50 Pounds In A Year' - Women's Health - December 21st, 2019
- The secret to healthy ageing - Starts at 60 - December 21st, 2019
- Healthy Sports Parenting Starts with These Tips - Chicago Health - December 21st, 2019
- SlimFast Goes Bananas Adding To Its Advanced Nutrition Line With Exciting New Flavor: Bananas & Cream - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2019
- Should You Have Curd In Winter? Know The Benefits And Downsides - Doctor NDTV - December 18th, 2019
- 2019 Was An Extremely Deadly Year For NYC Cyclists. Here Are Their Stories - Gothamist - December 18th, 2019
- Winter gear to keep your fleets and drivers from freezing - American Trucker - December 14th, 2019
- Latest Tesla Autopilot crash will be the 12th investigated by NHTSA - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 14th, 2019
- Intermittent Fasting Is (Unsurprisingly) The Most Searched Diet Of 2019 - mindbodygreen.com - December 13th, 2019
- Is Canned Tuna Healthy? Nutritionists Weigh In - Women's Health - December 13th, 2019
- A prosecco diet exisits - here's everything to know - Now To Love - December 13th, 2019
- Gal Gadot Looks Stronger Than Ever in the First Trailer for Wonder Woman 1984 - Prevention.com - December 13th, 2019
- Pregnancy Found by Israeli and Dutch Researchers to be Safe for Women with Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Breaking Israel News - December 13th, 2019
- Drive safely. Wild animals' lives are at stake - Vancouver Courier - December 13th, 2019
- Cork woman: The secret to living to 100 is... - Echo Live - December 13th, 2019
- Eye on the pies! Vets warn pet owners to keep edible festive hazards out of paws' reach - PoliticsHome.com - December 13th, 2019
- AINsight: Diabetes and Flying | Business Aviation - Aviation International News - December 13th, 2019
- Ederra Bella Plastic Surgery and Medical Spa in Johns Creek, Georgia, is Now Offering the Innovative CoolSculpting Procedure for Patients - Yahoo... - December 13th, 2019
- Everything you should never do when at a work Christmas party from romping in cupboard to shots - The Sun - December 13th, 2019
- Tabu on her suitable boy - Telegraph India - December 13th, 2019
- UFC 245 Predictions: Bleacher Report Main Card Staff Picks - Bleacher Report - December 13th, 2019
- Is HIIT The Best Way To Lose Weight? We Asked Experts To Weigh In - mindbodygreen.com - December 5th, 2019
- Diet Plan For Kareena's Recent Look Revealed By Her Nutritionist - NDTV News - December 3rd, 2019
- As Aspen ski icon Klaus Obermeyer turns 100, he reflects on how he stays so fit and positive - The Colorado Sun - December 3rd, 2019