So you eat a handful of almonds every day. Great as this way you are ensuring enough vitamin E that stimulates the production of natural killer cells, the ones that seek out and destroy germs, along with other potent nutrients from the popular nut. But now it's time to look beyond the tried and tested and expand our gamutof good foods based on some new nutrients that we now know as absolutely brilliant for us.
For example, we now know that we can get our daily dose of vitamin E from wheat germ too.
This too is full of vitamin E, and also contains a phytonutrient called L-ergothioneine, which is a super powerful antioxidant not destroyed by cooking and one that you can add safely to your cakes, cookies, porridge et al.
This antioxidant helps conserve and maintain the levels of other antioxidants such as vitamins E and C and glutathione, and also protects us from the damaging effects of environmental UV rays.
Talking of nuts, we already know that walnutis a super star nut as it is loaded with good quality protein, and myriad nutrients like selenium, phosphorous, zinc, manganese, magnesium, vitamin E and more. But not many know that some phytonutrients found in walnuts - for example, the quinone jug lone - are found in virtually no other commonly eaten foods.
Other phytonutrients - like the tannin tellimagrandin or the flavonol morin - are also rare and valuable.
Score walnuts for rare phytonutrients.
All these anti-inflammatory and antioxidant phytonutrients help explain the decreased risk of certain cancers - including prostate cancer and breast cancer - that walnut consumption is linked to.
If you want to score the right omega 3, stick to animal products (including dairy) from animals that are fed on green grass (and not grains) as this way you ensure CLA (conjugated Linoleic acid) in your diet, which is brilliant at fighting weight gain, particularly around the dangerous abdomen area. So when going for yoghurt, buttermilk, meat, butter, milk, eggs, avoid the grain fed source.
Then there's lecithin present in bee pollen whose importance has lately come to light. Lecithin helps dissolve and flush fat from the body and that is how bee pollen helps lowers low-density lipoproteins (LDL) faster than any other food while also increasing the helpful high-density lipoproteins (HDL).
The missing vitamins
Very few of us know the importance of vitamin K2, which is as essential for our bones and joints as the much publicised vitamin D. That is because it is essential for activating enzymes that are involved in transporting calcium from the arterial walls to the bones.
Score vitamin K2 from egg yolk.
It is also important to keep heart disease and diabetes away. Unlike Vitamin K1, which is found in green leafy vegetables, K2 is found in fermented foods, certain cheeses such as Brie and Gouda and grass-fed organic animal products (that is egg yolk, butter, dairy et al).
Biotin is a water soluble B vitamin that one can score from carrots, almonds, walnuts, strawberries, onions and egg yolk. It is needed for healthy nerve, metabolic, cardiovascular and digestive functions and also helps naturally thicken hair, nails and beautify our skin. It's a beauty vitamin.
Ever wonder what salmon, shrimp and lobster have in common? Their brilliant red colour is a result of Astaxanthin, the multi-talented antioxidant, which is the newest super star in the realm of anti-ageing.
It protects the cells from the most damaging forms of free radicals - improves skin elasticity and reduces the appearance of fine lines.
DMAE is a known cognitive enhancer.
There's another super star substance found in fish, sardines and salmon and that is DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol). DMAE is a known cognitive enhancer, that is, it helps boost memory and the body's problem-solving ability by improving nerve function.
Another bonus is that DMAE when eaten in larger amounts can increase muscle tone and therefore decrease the sagging of our skin too.
It's time to begin plating all new ingredients to score an even healthier body.
Also read: The truth about superfoods you need to know
See more here:
10 new nutrients you should be eating right away - DailyO
- Question about keto and metformin? MyFitnessPal.com - October 4th, 2019
- A Ketogenic Diet for Beginners The Ultimate Keto Guide ... - October 2nd, 2019
- Weight Loss, Loss weight fast, Diet Safely - Part 5 - September 12th, 2019
- Diabetes diet: Create your healthy-eating plan - Mayo Clinic - September 12th, 2019
- How Long Can Your Body Stay in Ketosis Safely? - September 12th, 2019
- How to diet - NHS - September 7th, 2019
- The Mayo Clinic Diet: A weight-loss program for life ... - September 6th, 2019
- The truth behind the most popular diet trends of the ... - July 27th, 2019
- Is the ketogenic diet safe for diabetics? ( ... - July 25th, 2019
- Ketosis for Seniors: What Should You Know? - Perfect Keto - July 22nd, 2019
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? How to Avoid Common Issues - June 21st, 2019
- drbdiet.com - Bernstein Diet & Health Clinics - May 21st, 2019
- What Is the Keto Diet (and Should You Try It)? Health ... - May 21st, 2019
- Calcium: An Important Mineral For Women - Women's Health - May 21st, 2019
- Beyonce Diet aka The Master Cleanse or Lemonade Diet - May 16th, 2019
- What should I feed my backyard chickens? RSPCA Knowledgebase - May 16th, 2019
- Eating a Plant-Based Diet: Safely Going Vegan | Nerd Fitness - April 25th, 2019
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe Long Term? Potential Dangers to ... - March 31st, 2019
- Weight loss: Choosing a diet that's right for you - Mayo ... - March 30th, 2019
- Ketogenic Diet Benefits (& How to Do It Right) | Wellness Mama - March 12th, 2019
- Are low carb diets safe to follow? | All Natural Ideas - March 12th, 2019
- Find Out How to Diet Safely - Food Without Fire - March 9th, 2019
- Keto Diet for Women: Food List & Tips to Overcome Side ... - March 8th, 2019
- 11 Fruits can you Eat Safely in a Ketogenic Diet - Cool ... - March 7th, 2019
- HCG Diet | HCG Drops | HCG Diet Information | Your HCG - March 6th, 2019
- All About Cat Diets How and Why to Put Your Cat on a ... - February 12th, 2019
- Foods You Can Safely Eat Past The Due Dates | ActiveBeat - January 28th, 2019
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe for People with Diabetes? - Dr ... - December 20th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? 4 Potential Dangers to Be Aware Of ... - December 19th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Really Safe? - thedailymeal.com - December 19th, 2018
- The Vegan Diet Done Safely - Parsley Health - November 18th, 2018
- Ketogenic diet: Is the ultimate low-carb diet good for you ... - October 31st, 2018
- Keto Diet Beginners Guide: Understanding the Ketogenic Diet - October 2nd, 2018
- Is the Keto diet Safe? 10 Myth-Busting Arguments for the ... - August 8th, 2018
- Diet - Safety Talk Ideas - August 6th, 2018
- The Carnivore Diet: Can Eating Only Meat Supercharge Your ... - August 1st, 2018
- Diet and Weight Loss Safety Tips (UPDATE: Jul 2018) | 2 ... - July 26th, 2018
- What Is the Keto Diet, and Is It Safe? - May 24th, 2018
- How to Safely and Effectively Come Off the Keto Diet ... - May 7th, 2018
- Care Guide: Diet - April 2nd, 2018
- Eat Wheat: A Scientific and Clinically-Proven Approach to ... - March 16th, 2018
- Can Probiotics Make It Safely To Your Intestines? - February 19th, 2018
- How to safely and healthily use supplements in your diet ... - February 17th, 2018
- Liquid Diet: Facts About Plans and Effectiveness - February 17th, 2018
- 11 Low Carb Vegetables That You Can Safely Eat on the ... - February 7th, 2018
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe for Everyone? - Diagnosis:Diet - January 20th, 2018
- Best Weight Loss Pills For Women Reviewed - Top 8 Best ... - December 25th, 2017
- Safe Diets and Healthful Weight Loss - healthline.com - November 6th, 2017
- Can I diet while breastfeeding? KellyMom.com - October 15th, 2017
- How to Use Diet Pills Safely: 12 Steps (with Pictures ... - October 13th, 2017
- How to Lose Weight Quickly and Safely (for Teen Girls) - October 13th, 2017
- Chinese red viagra sildenafil citrate - Viagra and red bull safe - Red ant viagra review - Black Hills Today - September 6th, 2017
- The What IF Plan: all you need to know about the new DNA weight loss programme - Evening Standard - September 6th, 2017
- Coca-Cola Offering $1 Million for Natural Sugar Substitute - Newsmax - September 6th, 2017
- 'Global event' in Ames this fall to focus on digital literacy - Radio Iowa - September 6th, 2017
- All the Apps and Websites You Need When You Have a Kid With Food Allergies - Lifehacker Australia - September 6th, 2017
- Cheap female viagra pills - Name of female viagra tablet - Twin Cities Arts Reader - September 4th, 2017
- 'Diet guidelines biased against poor nations' - The News International - September 4th, 2017
- World-renowned Alzheimer's expert takes state fair stage - KARE - September 4th, 2017
- Why West's low-fat diet advice could be deadly for Asia's poor, because they'll likely eat even more carbs - South China Morning Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Battling the deerfly - Stowe Today - September 2nd, 2017
- Levitra professional mail order - Levitra professional pills - Laughlin Entertainer - September 2nd, 2017
- A Bountiful Assortment - PetProductNews.com - September 2nd, 2017
- Don't talk about diets in front of your daughters, deputy head at top London school warns parents - Evening Standard - September 1st, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Capital FM Kenya (press release) (blog) - September 1st, 2017
- Sponsor spotlight: Harbor Square Athletic Club Healthy Lifestyle Tip good protein sources - My Edmonds News - September 1st, 2017
- Viagra soft tabs uk buy - Viagra soft tab generic - Forward Florida - September 1st, 2017
- The Most Weight You Can Safely Lose In A Month By Only ... - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines 'biased against poor nations' - New Vision - August 30th, 2017
- Nutrition: Tips to a healthful State Fair - Duluth News Tribune - August 30th, 2017
- How does a high-salt diet affect your body? - Reports Healthcare - August 30th, 2017
- Healthcare Startup Claims It Can Defeat Diabetes With Nutrition Alone - Futurism - August 30th, 2017
- Buy kamagra soft usa - Forward Florida - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Geo News, Pakistan - August 29th, 2017
- Men who get fit in middle age can halve their risk of strokes - Telegraph.co.uk - August 29th, 2017
- Can you really lose your belly fat with just 15 minutes of HIIT a day? Yes. - Metro - August 29th, 2017
- Viagra capsule in hindi - Viagra capsules price in india - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Extension Connection: Petscaping Your Yard - Canton Daily Ledger - August 27th, 2017
- Ketogenic diet loved for fast results, but does it work? - Gears Of Biz - August 27th, 2017
- The case for complete streets - Prince Rupert Northern View - August 27th, 2017