Estrogen: An Unlikely Player
As most men approach middle age, the seemingly inevitable starts to occur: we gain weight around the waistline, sexual desire starts to wane, were unable to lift as much weight at the gym, and we seem to simply have a harder time keeping up with the younger guys.
And most of us doctors included think that loss of testosterone is the main culprit. Not totally true. Were learning that another hormone plays a key role in the development of some of these symptoms of aging in men. And its an unlikely player. That hormone is estrogen.
When most of us think of estrogen, we think of women. Thats because estrogen is a key hormone in womens health. And the loss of estrogen in women at menopause causes big physiological changes. Weight gain, skin dryness, wrinkles, heart attacks, bone loss and osteoporosis, loss of sexual sensation and dementia are just some of the effects of loss of estrogen in women.
Yet estrogen is proving to play a serious role in the aging of men, too. A study published in the New England Journal of Medicinedemonstrated that in men, while low testosterone is the main culprit in loss of muscle strength, loss of estrogen is a big cause of that mid-section weight gain, the infamous pot-belly. And it seems that loss of both testosterone and estrogen together contributes to diminished sex drive and sexual function in men.
But Wait.Isnt Estrogen Harmful to Men?
The answer to this question seems to be related to where the estrogen comes from. So lets talk about that for a moment.
In healthy men, estrogen, specifically estradiol (a form of estrogen), comes from testosterone. There is an enzyme, aromatase, that converts a certain amount of a mans testosterone to estradiol. So as a healthy mans testosterone levels rise or fall, estradiol levels tend to rise and fall as well. The average estradiol level of an adult male is about 75 pg/mL. But men can make estrogen another way as well. In obese men, there is an increased concentration of a different form of estrogen, estrone. This estrone gets converted to estradiol (as opposed to conversion of testosterone to estradiol). So high estrogen in obese men is due to another reason than high estrogen in healthy men. It is important to not confuse two, because they play out very differently with regard to our health.
The Protective Effect of Estrogen in Men
High endogenous estrogen levels in normal men is protective against coronary artery disease, Type 2 Diabetes, and prostate cancer. (This is not true, however, in obese men with high estrogen levels because the estrogen produced in visceral fat is estrone, which then converts to estradiol versus the aromatization of testosterone to estradiol.)
As men age, testosterone levels fall, and so do estrogen levels. This contributes to the accumulation of excess fat in men and their lack of sex drive and sexual function. They also begin to lose the protection against heart disease, Type 2 Diabetes, and prostate cancer that estrogen provides.
Estrogen deficiency has also been implicated in the pathogenesis of osteoporosis in men. A study published in Osteoporosis Int.demonstrated that 38% of men with osteoporosis had undetectable serum estradiol levels. This as well as more recent studies show that estrogen deficiency, not androgen (e.g. testosterone) deficiency is much more prevalent in male osteoporosis.
Additionally, estradiol levels in men are inversely correlated with sperm DNA damage, suggesting that estradiol may have a protective effect on sperm DNA.
So How Do Men Maintain Optimal Estrogen Levels as They Age?
One of the goals of hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is to restore hormone levels back to the optimal levels of a young adult. For estrogen in men, this means restoring levels to about 75 pg/mL. The best way to achieve this in men is by optimizing testosterone levels. Some of the testosterone will be converted to estrogen, therefore maintaining adequate levels.
To get started, you should have your testosterone and estrogen levels checked by a physician who specializes in hormone optimization. Its a simple blood test. Once you know if youre deficient, you can discuss options to optimize your levels so you can look and feel as good as possible while at the same time significantly decreasing your risk for chronic degenerative diseases.
To schedule an evaluationwith Dr. Mike Carragher, call1-323-874-9355.
See the original post:
You’ve Heard About "Low T" But What About "Low E"?
- Low T Treatment in Texas & Illinois | SynergenX Health ... - February 18th, 2019
- The Lowdown on Low-T - Discover Health - Rush University ... - February 18th, 2019
- The Low T Scam? - Testosterone Centers of Texas - Low T ... - February 18th, 2019
- Low T 99 - Testosterone Therapy: Bellevue, Seattle, Tacoma ... - December 31st, 2018
- Men, Low T, and the Facts | Lifespan - October 1st, 2018
- Denver Low T Medical Clinic and Testosterone Therapy Center - August 6th, 2018
- Low T 99 - 10 Photos - Health & Medical - 1239 120th Ave NE ... - April 23rd, 2018
- Low Testosterone Treatment - Carolina Men's Clinic - April 23rd, 2018
- Low T-Helper (CD4) Cell Level - Symptoms and Diagnosis - March 2nd, 2018
- ED Clinic Nashville TN, Erectile Dysfunction Treatment, Low T - February 10th, 2018
- Low-Testosterone (Low-T) - Controversy Over ... - AARP - January 11th, 2018
- Low testosterone symptoms | Effects of low testosterone - January 11th, 2018
- About Low Testosterone | Low T Center - December 29th, 2017
- Low Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low T ... - Men's T Clinic - November 12th, 2017
- low t | eBay - November 12th, 2017
- Low Testosterone (Low T) Treatments - onhealth.com - November 2nd, 2017
- Low-T (Low Testosterone) Quiz: Symptoms, Signs & Treatment - October 22nd, 2017
- Erectile Dysfunction/Low T Men's Health Georgia - September 4th, 2017
- 10 easy ways to transform old band T-shirts into something new - Alternative Press - August 30th, 2017
- AbbVie Hit With $150 Million Loss in Low-T Cardiac Trial - Lexology (registration) - August 19th, 2017
- Low T Center returning to sponsor Sorenson - ESPN - August 18th, 2017
- Older men with 'low T' can improve their sex lives with testosterone therapy, study says - Men's Fitness - August 18th, 2017
- Center for Men | Tulsa Men's Clinic | Tulsa Low T - August 17th, 2017
- `Make Men Great Again' Speakers Bash Trans People While Pumping Up America's Girly Men - Southern Poverty Law Center - August 10th, 2017
- Doctors Address Low Testosterone Ads - CBS St. Louis - August 9th, 2017
- Low T - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Ehormones - August 2nd, 2017
- What does a low T cell count mean? DoctorNDTV Queries - August 2nd, 2017
- Column: Testosterone treatment reserved for men with symptoms ... - The Daily Courier - July 5th, 2017
- Testosterone treatment reserved for men with symptoms - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - July 5th, 2017
- Low T Trial: Testosterone Gel Increases Plaque in Arteries - DrugWatch.com - June 2nd, 2017
- Low Testosterone Treatment in St. Louis | Low T Revolution - May 9th, 2017
- Derrike Cope is Back in the Saddle with Low T Center - PR Newswire (press release) - April 8th, 2017
- Testosterone Therapy Is Popular, but Studies Are Mixed - New York Times - March 28th, 2017
- 5 uncommon signs of low testosterone - Bel Marra Health - March 25th, 2017
- Doctors Say Some May Be Suffering From 'Male Menopause' - CBS Pittsburgh / KDKA - March 25th, 2017
- Low Testosterone MDL 2545 - US Recall News (press release) - March 15th, 2017
- Could It Be...Low T? - Huffington Post - March 1st, 2017
- Testosterone Therapy Improves Bone Mineral Density In Men With Low T - MedicalResearch.com (blog) - February 23rd, 2017
- Testosterone Therapy May Have Benefits, But Risks Too - HealthDay - February 23rd, 2017
- 'Low T' Tx Studies Yield Mixed Findings for Heart - MedPage Today - February 21st, 2017
- Testosterone treatment improves bone density, anemia in men over 65 - Medical Xpress - February 21st, 2017
- Low Testosterone ( Low T ) Treatments - MedicineNet - January 30th, 2017
- Low T | Healthy Habits Wellness Clinic - January 30th, 2017
- New study adds caution to testosterone therapy for "low T ... - January 3rd, 2017
- Mantality - Low Testosterone Treatments - January 3rd, 2017
- Low T Center Careers and Employment | Indeed.com - November 28th, 2016
- Low T Medical Clinic and Low Testosterone Therapy - November 28th, 2016
- Low T - October 2nd, 2016
- Low Testosterone (Low T) Center - Henderson, NV - August 18th, 2016
- Low Testosterone Denver - October 24th, 2015
- Low Testosterone - Renew Man - August 26th, 2015
- Boost Your Low Testosterone! Increase Low T Levels Naturally - August 1st, 2015
- 9 Warning Signs of Low Testosterone - Healthline - May 22nd, 2015
- Low Testosterone (Low-T): Facts About Symptoms and Testing - May 22nd, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low T Center - May 22nd, 2015
- Common Side Effects of Low Testosterone in Men - May 22nd, 2015
- Low Testosterone (Low T) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment ... - May 22nd, 2015
- Low T Natural Treatment Aurora - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Victor Marx--- Low T Center Ambassador - Video - May 2nd, 2015
- Low T Treatment Injections Aurora - Video - May 2nd, 2015
- Treatments For Low T Aurora - Video - April 30th, 2015
- Low T Treatment Options Aurora - Video - April 30th, 2015
- Low T Center and Rick Fairless' Strokers Dallas Team Up - Video - April 22nd, 2015
- Genobank Grundschulen Cup 2015 Low T Ball GS Liebenau - Video - March 19th, 2015
- Are Low T Drugs Putting Patients At High Risk - Video - March 14th, 2015
- How Even Borderline Low T Might Affect Your Health - Video - March 13th, 2015
- Q&A #3 | Talking to Friends & Family About Depersonalization, My Dog, Low T & Depression + MORE - Video - March 10th, 2015
- Center for Men | 918-622-2500 | Find Tulsa Low T Clinics - Video - March 8th, 2015
- Tulsa Low T | Center for Men | 918-622-2500 - Video - March 8th, 2015
- Tulsa Low T | 918-622-2500 | Center for Men - Video - March 8th, 2015
- Center for Men | Find Tulsa Low T Clinics | 918-622-2500 - Video - March 8th, 2015
- 918-622-2500 | Center for Men | Find Tulsa Low T Clinics - Video - March 8th, 2015
- Low T? qt - Video - March 8th, 2015
- 918-622-2500 | Tulsa Low T | Center for Men - Video - March 7th, 2015
- Center for Men | 918-622-2500 | Tulsa Low T - Video - March 7th, 2015
- Center for Men | Tulsa Low T | 918-622-2500 | - Video - March 7th, 2015
- 918-622-2500 | Center for Men | Tulsa Low T - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Vlog update... Health, Blood Clot, Low T improving? ,modeling, catfish - Video - March 6th, 2015
- ALT Prince uf Darkness - Super Skeet Fighter Alphamale IV (Low T Edit) - Video - February 19th, 2015
- Valentine's Day is an important day for men's health - Video - February 18th, 2015