Consumption of energy-dense foods may raise the risk of obesity-related cancers regardless of an individual’s weight, a new study finds.
Writing in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, nutritional interventions targeting energy density as well as other dietary approaches can reduce the cancer burden, researchers suggested.
The findings add to the literature that discuss how the ratio of energy to food weight, otherwise known as dietary energy density (DED), contributes to cancer risk.
Much coverage establishes a proven link between obesity and certain types of cancer. A high intake of dietary components such as saturated fat and a high glycaemic load, among others, are considered a reliable indicator of weight and waist circumference gain.
However, according to lead investigator Dr Cynthia Thomson, professor of Health Promotion Sciences at the University of Arizona, the findings suggest that weight management alone may not protect against obesity-related cancers should women favour a diet pattern indicative of high energy density.”
Diet is thought to play a significant role in cancer risk. Current research shows that an estimated 30% of cancers could be prevented through nutritional modifications.
Just this morning, the UK announced plans to target foods with a high calorie count as it updated the countrys childhood obesity plan, which previously focused on sugar reduction.
Public Health England (PHE) will now consider evidence on childrens calorie consumption, focusing on cutting calorie count in high-DED foods such ready meals, pizzas, burgers, savoury snacks and sandwiches.
Led by Dr Thomson, researchers drew on data detailing 90,000 postmenopausal women aged 50 to 79 years.
Their eating habits were self-reported using a food frequency questionnaire and medical records were inspected for any obesity-related cancers during the follow-up period.
The team found that women who consumed a diet higher in DED were 10% more likely to develop an obesity-related cancer, independent of body mass index.
Additional findings revealed that the increased risk appeared limited to women who were of a normal weight at enrolment in the study
The demonstrated effect in normal-weight women in relation to risk for obesity-related cancers is novel and contrary to our hypothesis,” said Dr Thomson.
“Among normal-weight women, higher DED may be a contributing factor for obesity-related cancers,” she added.
“Importantly, DED is a modifiable risk factor. Nutrition interventions targeting energy density as well as other diet-related cancer preventive approaches are warranted to reduce cancer burden among postmenopausal women.”
A number of notable studies have assessed the role of DED in weight management.
A study of more than 89,000 Europeans suggested a role of DED in relation to gains in central adiposity among adults of normal body weight at the start of the study.
In addition, a systematic review suggested a consistent relationship between DED and excess adiposity and adult weight gain, but not BMI or central obesity.
In our study, DED was associated with higher BMI and waist circumference, the study explained.
However, risk was demonstrated in women with normal BMI. Among normal-weight women, those in the highest and lowest DED quintiles had mean waist circumference of 75.8 and 74.0 centimetres (cm), respectively.
The study highlighted the significance of this finding, pointing out that few normal-weight participants (less than 2%) became obese during follow-up of the main study period (around 10 years).
The study argued that weight gain alone could not explain the elevated cancer risk shown in the results.
Body composition data that could inform on adiposity and the role of lean mass are limited in numbers within women, thereby precluding robust evaluation in relation to DED and obesity-related cancer risk.
Source:Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Published online ahead of print: doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2017.06.010
Association between Dietary Energy Density and Obesity-Associated Cancer: Results from the Womens Health Initiative.
Authors: Cynthia Thomson et al.
- North Carolina Weight & Wellness: Obesity Medicine ... - January 14th, 2019
- Weight Management Center | Wake Forest Baptist Health - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management | University of Maryland Medical Center - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management Program | NYU Langone Health - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management | Office of Work-Life at Columbia University - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Loss Centers in Washington - Yelp - December 23rd, 2018
- Delta Medical Weight Management Center - dmwmc.com - October 30th, 2018
- Weight Management for Your Life: Ten Steps to Prepare You ... - September 29th, 2018
- Weight Loss Management Center at UWMC - Roosevelt | UW ... - September 28th, 2018
- Weight Loss | Washington University Physicians - September 28th, 2018
- Weight Management Resources - Verywell Fit - September 28th, 2018
- Plainfield NJ Family Physician Doctors - Weight Management ... - August 30th, 2018
- Weight Loss Specialist | Weight Loss Coach | ACE - August 20th, 2018
- SmartFitWeightLoss.com - August 5th, 2018
- Weight Management Olympia Compounding Pharmacy - April 6th, 2018
- Medical Weight Loss Clinic | Medical Weight Management ... - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management | Reading Hospital - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management Louisville, Kentucky (KY), Norton Healthcare - March 13th, 2018
- Center for Weight & Wellness - Lifespan - March 13th, 2018
- MUSC Health Weight Management Center | Charleston SC - February 27th, 2018
- Weight Management - County of Sonoma, California - February 5th, 2018
- Weight Management - dTERRA Product Line | dTERRA ... - February 5th, 2018
- Weight Management Program - NYP.org - January 3rd, 2018
- Weight Management Resources - Verywell - December 28th, 2017
- Weight Management-Topic Overview - WebMD - December 1st, 2017
- The Institute for Weight Management - Hackensack, NJ - November 10th, 2017
- How Avocado Can Help with Weight Management - October 13th, 2017
- Weight Management | Compounding Pharmacy - Absolute Pharmacy - September 20th, 2017
- Can ventolin inhaler cause weight loss - Ventolin expectorant capsule price philippines - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Veterans' lives, health honored at wellness event in Butler - New Castle News - August 27th, 2017
- Healthy eating the best way to lose weight - Tahlequah Daily Press - August 27th, 2017
- Weight-loss firm makes apparent Stamford exit - The Advocate - August 27th, 2017
- The Role of Body Composition in Weight Management - Natural Products INSIDER - August 24th, 2017
- Get fit: The 5 best exercises for fat loss - Daily Commercial - August 24th, 2017
- Reimagining the Weight Loss Category - Natural Products INSIDER - August 24th, 2017
- These Are The Best Foods For Weight Loss - Huffington Post Australia - August 24th, 2017
- 5 local resources to help control diabetes - Twin Falls Times-News - August 20th, 2017
- Infrared Sauna Benefits Include Pain Management, Weight Loss - Metro US - August 18th, 2017
- The best exercise for weight loss, according to science - NEWS.com.au - August 13th, 2017
- Family Health News Has Positive Experience at Weight ... - Benzinga - Benzinga - August 11th, 2017
- Lifestyle-modification programs for weight management in Arab states lack in effectiveness - Medical Xpress - August 10th, 2017
- Exercise as a Weight-Loss Strategy - New York Times - August 9th, 2017
- Research Behind Top Weight Management Ingredients - Natural Products INSIDER - August 9th, 2017
- Lifestyle-modification programs for weight management in Arab states lack in effectiveness - Gears Of Biz - August 9th, 2017
- Diet Soda Linked to Weight Gain, Not Weight Loss - Olive Oil Times - Olive Oil Times - August 9th, 2017
- The 15-Minute Cardio Workout Perfect for Beginners Trying to Lose Weight - Shape Magazine - August 9th, 2017
- Weight Management Supplements | eBay - August 7th, 2017
- An easy, healthy way to control your weight - Thegardenisland.com - August 7th, 2017
- Newly Published Study Shows Supplementation Of Capsicum Extract Helps Increase Metabolic Rate - Markets Insider - August 7th, 2017
- Elicina Participates in Successful Weight Management, Sports ... - Benzinga - August 3rd, 2017
- Ask a Specialist: How Weight Loss Surgery Can Treat Type 2 Diabetes - KHON2 - August 3rd, 2017
- Diet Doc Offers Customized Weight Loss Solutions Amid Mediterranean Diet Doubts - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 3rd, 2017
- UFC willing to add new ABC weight classes 'when the time is right' - MMAmania.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Asthma inhaler weight loss - Ipratropium bromide and albuterol sulfate side effects - Van Wert independent - July 11th, 2017
- Weight Management Clinic Scarborough - Weight Management ... - July 7th, 2017
- Conversation Cards a Useful Tool in Pediatric Weight Management - Newswise (press release) - July 7th, 2017
- 7 ways to follow a low-carb diet the right way - Today.com - July 7th, 2017
- Apple Cider Vinegar Weight Loss - ACV Weight Loss - Woman's Day - WomansDay.com (blog) - July 6th, 2017
- Nolvadex for steroid users - Diabex side effects weight loss - Longboat Key News - July 6th, 2017
- VIVUS Settles with Teva on Weight Management Drug Generic - Zacks.com - July 6th, 2017
- Weight Management Ingredients - Natural Products INSIDER - July 5th, 2017
- Acai berry cancer - Acai berry weight loss cleanse - Antioch Herald - July 4th, 2017
- The Role of Meal Replacements in Weight Loss - TAPinto.net - July 4th, 2017
- Why Big Pharma Is Struggling to Profit From the Obesity Epidemic - Bloomberg - July 4th, 2017
- Dr. Steven Edelman Part 6, Type 2 Diabetes and Weight Management - Diabetes In Control - July 2nd, 2017
- 7 Lifestyle Changes That Can Affect Your Weight Management Goals - South Florida Reporter - July 2nd, 2017
- Medically Managed Weight Loss: A Nonsurgical Approach to a ... - Newswise (press release) - June 29th, 2017
- EnteroMedics Announces Affordable vBloc Therapy Program for Weight Loss Patients - PR Newswire (press release) - June 28th, 2017
- Does dieting or fitness trackers work better for weight loss - Bangor Daily News - June 28th, 2017
- Global Weight Management Market Size Is Expected To Reach USD 314.7 Bn By 2024 - Technorati - June 27th, 2017
- How Do You Lose Weight With Jenny Craig? A Dietitian Explains - POPSUGAR - June 27th, 2017
- 'Short term' weight control approaches call for new interventions ... - FoodNavigator.com - June 27th, 2017
- Meal Prepping May Actually Be Sabotaging Your Diet - HuffPost - June 27th, 2017
- Think positive attitude for great fitness and weight loss results - Shawnee News Star - June 25th, 2017
- Health Bites: A lifestyle approach to health - Casper Star-Tribune Online - June 24th, 2017
- Follow These 9 Simple Steps To Set Yourself Up For Weight-Loss Success - Women's Health - June 24th, 2017
- 'Keto' diet good for quick weight loss, but caution advised - Theadanews - June 24th, 2017
- 'Keto' diet good for quick weight loss, but caution advised - Tahlequah Daily Press - June 22nd, 2017
- Weight Management | Summit Health - June 22nd, 2017
- Weight Management - prochange.com - June 22nd, 2017