A Comprehensive Approach
NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital offers a weight management program for adults that’s customized to each patient’s individual health needs and lifestyles. What makes this program different from other weight management programs is that each patient is guided by a board-certified physician and qualified team whose recommendations come specifically from the patient’s needs and health risks.
The comprehensive weight management program is built on the belief that excess weight and related health risks are best managed through a partnership between a patient, the patient’s family, and their healthcare team. NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital has partnered with MetroFit to provide you with a health care team made up of board-certified internists, bariatric surgeons, endocrinologists, registered nurses, behavioral health counselors, psychologists, registered dietitians, and fitness trainers.
Interested in a weight management program for children? Learn more about the pediatric weight management program here.
First, the prospective participant is either referred to the program by a primary physician or takes the initiative to ask for more information and/or make an initial appointment by calling 718-780-6212.
Every patient receives a full health exam during the first visit. The physician may refer a patient for additional specialized testing if necessary. After the exam, the physician and patient discuss program components which include the following:
A registered dietitian reviews the patient’s medical, family, social, and diet history. S/he then devises an individualized diet plan, working with food preferences, habits, and lifestyle, to create a balanced and healthy eating plan to encourage weight loss. The dietitian is available for regular follow-up consultation, which is encouraged.
Fitness is encouraged as part of a healthy lifestyle. Participants are required to join one of the fitness plans. Our certified fitness trainer will customize a plan to be carried out under supervised conditions. Private and group sessions are available.
A licensed counselor conducts a psychological evaluation. The counselor discusses various factors that may or may not influence eating disorders and patient participation in the program.
Appropriate referrals to other medical specialists such as a cardiologist, pulmonologist, endocrinologist, or orthopedist may be made, as indicated. The program’s medical or surgical director will coordinate with the specialist(s) to best manage the medical problems and optimize medical treatment during the weight-loss program.
Non-surgical and surgical options may be discussed. Basically, non-surgical weight loss means losing weight through conventional methods such as diet and exercise. For most people pursuing a healthy weight, the non-surgical methods make up the most appropriate way to get started on a path to better health.
Patients who decide to pursue non-surgical weight loss can expect:
Patients who, with the guidance and support of a physician, choose a surgical form of treatment can expect excellent care through our Surgical Weight Reduction Program, which has been accredited as a “Center of Excellence” for bariatric surgery.
Weight loss surgery is generally reserved for those who have not been able to lose weight through a conventional weight loss program, one based on diet and exercise, and who have…
NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital offers both gastric bypass surgery and gastric banding surgery, the two most common bariatric (weight reduction) procedures. These operations are actually components of an integrated program that includes diet, physical activity, and behavioral and social support, before and after the surgery.
People who desire the surgery and who, on medical assessment, are determined to be appropriate candidates for it, receive extensive preoperative education regarding this permanent rearrangement of their digestive system. In order to obtain a safe, permanent weight loss, it is critically important that potential surgical patients be fully informed about the benefits, as well as the side effects, and potential complications of the surgery. Learn more about the surgeries.
Patients who pursue the non-surgical option will continue to follow up with their medical team monthly at first and then on a less frequent but regular basis. During the follow-up visits, the team will closely monitor the weight loss and supervise your diet and exercise. The physician will monitor any underlying medical conditions and adjust medication as needed.
Patients who choose the surgical option may lose as much as 30%-80% of excess body weight. These patients require close follow-up care with the surgeon so that their weight and nutrition status can be monitored and so that any potential nutritional deficiencies can be corrected. After surgery, with the close guidance and monitoring of a physician, most people are able to reduce or discontinue some of the medication they are taking for hypertension, type-2 diabetes, and hyperlipidemia.
Go here to see the original:
Weight Management Program – NYP.org
- North Carolina Weight & Wellness: Obesity Medicine ... - January 14th, 2019
- Weight Management Center | Wake Forest Baptist Health - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management | University of Maryland Medical Center - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management Program | NYU Langone Health - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management | Office of Work-Life at Columbia University - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Loss Centers in Washington - Yelp - December 23rd, 2018
- Delta Medical Weight Management Center - dmwmc.com - October 30th, 2018
- Weight Management for Your Life: Ten Steps to Prepare You ... - September 29th, 2018
- Weight Loss Management Center at UWMC - Roosevelt | UW ... - September 28th, 2018
- Weight Loss | Washington University Physicians - September 28th, 2018
- Weight Management Resources - Verywell Fit - September 28th, 2018
- Plainfield NJ Family Physician Doctors - Weight Management ... - August 30th, 2018
- Weight Loss Specialist | Weight Loss Coach | ACE - August 20th, 2018
- SmartFitWeightLoss.com - August 5th, 2018
- Weight Management Olympia Compounding Pharmacy - April 6th, 2018
- Medical Weight Loss Clinic | Medical Weight Management ... - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management | Reading Hospital - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management Louisville, Kentucky (KY), Norton Healthcare - March 13th, 2018
- Center for Weight & Wellness - Lifespan - March 13th, 2018
- MUSC Health Weight Management Center | Charleston SC - February 27th, 2018
- Weight Management - County of Sonoma, California - February 5th, 2018
- Weight Management - dTERRA Product Line | dTERRA ... - February 5th, 2018
- Weight Management Resources - Verywell - December 28th, 2017
- Weight Management-Topic Overview - WebMD - December 1st, 2017
- The Institute for Weight Management - Hackensack, NJ - November 10th, 2017
- How Avocado Can Help with Weight Management - October 13th, 2017
- Weight Management | Compounding Pharmacy - Absolute Pharmacy - September 20th, 2017
- Can ventolin inhaler cause weight loss - Ventolin expectorant capsule price philippines - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Veterans' lives, health honored at wellness event in Butler - New Castle News - August 27th, 2017
- Healthy eating the best way to lose weight - Tahlequah Daily Press - August 27th, 2017
- Weight-loss firm makes apparent Stamford exit - The Advocate - August 27th, 2017
- The Role of Body Composition in Weight Management - Natural Products INSIDER - August 24th, 2017
- Get fit: The 5 best exercises for fat loss - Daily Commercial - August 24th, 2017
- Reimagining the Weight Loss Category - Natural Products INSIDER - August 24th, 2017
- These Are The Best Foods For Weight Loss - Huffington Post Australia - August 24th, 2017
- 5 local resources to help control diabetes - Twin Falls Times-News - August 20th, 2017
- Weight not a factor as energy dense foods appear to up cancer risk - FoodNavigator.com - August 18th, 2017
- Infrared Sauna Benefits Include Pain Management, Weight Loss - Metro US - August 18th, 2017
- The best exercise for weight loss, according to science - NEWS.com.au - August 13th, 2017
- Family Health News Has Positive Experience at Weight ... - Benzinga - Benzinga - August 11th, 2017
- Lifestyle-modification programs for weight management in Arab states lack in effectiveness - Medical Xpress - August 10th, 2017
- Exercise as a Weight-Loss Strategy - New York Times - August 9th, 2017
- Research Behind Top Weight Management Ingredients - Natural Products INSIDER - August 9th, 2017
- Lifestyle-modification programs for weight management in Arab states lack in effectiveness - Gears Of Biz - August 9th, 2017
- Diet Soda Linked to Weight Gain, Not Weight Loss - Olive Oil Times - Olive Oil Times - August 9th, 2017
- The 15-Minute Cardio Workout Perfect for Beginners Trying to Lose Weight - Shape Magazine - August 9th, 2017
- Weight Management Supplements | eBay - August 7th, 2017
- An easy, healthy way to control your weight - Thegardenisland.com - August 7th, 2017
- Newly Published Study Shows Supplementation Of Capsicum Extract Helps Increase Metabolic Rate - Markets Insider - August 7th, 2017
- Elicina Participates in Successful Weight Management, Sports ... - Benzinga - August 3rd, 2017
- Ask a Specialist: How Weight Loss Surgery Can Treat Type 2 Diabetes - KHON2 - August 3rd, 2017
- Diet Doc Offers Customized Weight Loss Solutions Amid Mediterranean Diet Doubts - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 3rd, 2017
- UFC willing to add new ABC weight classes 'when the time is right' - MMAmania.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Asthma inhaler weight loss - Ipratropium bromide and albuterol sulfate side effects - Van Wert independent - July 11th, 2017
- Weight Management Clinic Scarborough - Weight Management ... - July 7th, 2017
- Conversation Cards a Useful Tool in Pediatric Weight Management - Newswise (press release) - July 7th, 2017
- 7 ways to follow a low-carb diet the right way - Today.com - July 7th, 2017
- Apple Cider Vinegar Weight Loss - ACV Weight Loss - Woman's Day - WomansDay.com (blog) - July 6th, 2017
- Nolvadex for steroid users - Diabex side effects weight loss - Longboat Key News - July 6th, 2017
- VIVUS Settles with Teva on Weight Management Drug Generic - Zacks.com - July 6th, 2017
- Weight Management Ingredients - Natural Products INSIDER - July 5th, 2017
- Acai berry cancer - Acai berry weight loss cleanse - Antioch Herald - July 4th, 2017
- The Role of Meal Replacements in Weight Loss - TAPinto.net - July 4th, 2017
- Why Big Pharma Is Struggling to Profit From the Obesity Epidemic - Bloomberg - July 4th, 2017
- Dr. Steven Edelman Part 6, Type 2 Diabetes and Weight Management - Diabetes In Control - July 2nd, 2017
- 7 Lifestyle Changes That Can Affect Your Weight Management Goals - South Florida Reporter - July 2nd, 2017
- Medically Managed Weight Loss: A Nonsurgical Approach to a ... - Newswise (press release) - June 29th, 2017
- EnteroMedics Announces Affordable vBloc Therapy Program for Weight Loss Patients - PR Newswire (press release) - June 28th, 2017
- Does dieting or fitness trackers work better for weight loss - Bangor Daily News - June 28th, 2017
- Global Weight Management Market Size Is Expected To Reach USD 314.7 Bn By 2024 - Technorati - June 27th, 2017
- How Do You Lose Weight With Jenny Craig? A Dietitian Explains - POPSUGAR - June 27th, 2017
- 'Short term' weight control approaches call for new interventions ... - FoodNavigator.com - June 27th, 2017
- Meal Prepping May Actually Be Sabotaging Your Diet - HuffPost - June 27th, 2017
- Think positive attitude for great fitness and weight loss results - Shawnee News Star - June 25th, 2017
- Health Bites: A lifestyle approach to health - Casper Star-Tribune Online - June 24th, 2017
- Follow These 9 Simple Steps To Set Yourself Up For Weight-Loss Success - Women's Health - June 24th, 2017
- 'Keto' diet good for quick weight loss, but caution advised - Theadanews - June 24th, 2017
- 'Keto' diet good for quick weight loss, but caution advised - Tahlequah Daily Press - June 22nd, 2017
- Weight Management | Summit Health - June 22nd, 2017
- Weight Management - prochange.com - June 22nd, 2017