It's no surprise that our favorite celebs love to spill their diet secrets, given that they often work so hard to get those killer bodies! But how safe (or beneficial) are those weight loss remedies that aren't, you know, sweating it out at the gym?
We talked with Dr. Josh Axe, D.N.M., C.N.S., D.C., founder of DrAxe.com, best-selling author of Eat Dirt, and co-founder of Ancient Nutrition, to get the truth about some of the Internet's most searched diets and whether you should listen to the hype! Scroll down to hear his thoughts on apple cider vinegar, the bone broth detox, and more popular fads.
MORE: Khlo Kardashian, Jennifer Lopez, and More Stars Who Refuse to Eat These Super Common Foods
Whether youre dieting or not, regularly having small amounts of apple cider vinegar, or ACV, has numerous health benefits, including: better digestion, reduced acid reflux, enhanced detoxification, and blood sugar regulation. ACV contains a powerful substance acetic acid, which is beneficial for gut health and more. In terms of it being used as part of a diet to help someone lose weight, this approach might have certain advantages due to how ACV can help reduce cravings and improve nutrient absorption.
Id recommend starting with one or two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with water before your three biggest meals of the day, as this may help stabilize blood sugar levels, alkalize your digestive system and have other positive effects on your metabolism. You can also try starting the day with a cleansing mix of ACV, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon. Im a big fan of ACV, but I still like to remind people that theres no magic bullet when it comes to lasting weight loss. In general, consuming lots of one healthy ingredient should never take the place of an overall balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.
Fasting (abstaining from eating solid food) may seem like a recent trend, but in fact, its been practiced safely for thousands of years. As long as its not causing any negative side effects such as irregular menstrual cycles, lots of fatigue, or heavy brain fog then going for longer periods of time without food, even for an entire day, has been shown to have certain positive health effects.
Skipping a whole day of eating obviously has benefits for reducing calorie intake as well, but this isn't the only reason that fasting is helpful for weight loss or maintenance. Fasting helps deplete glycogen (energy stored in muscles), which means the body uses more stored fat for energy, plus it helps normalize blood sugar levels. It may also help regulate production of certain appetite hormones including leptin, the hormone that regulates fat storage in response to eating, and ghrelin, a hormone that increases hunger. Studies have also found links between fasting and longevity, due to how fasting may help lower oxidative stress. Bone broth is one of the best things to have while fasting (as well as on non-fasting days) because it prevents muscle wasting or dehydration, and supplies essential nutrients including amino acids and electrolytes to keep energy levels up.
Eating 3 square meals a day might be most common, but that doesnt mean its the only healthy way to eat. In fact, its now being shown in studies that for some people, eating many small meals all day long (also called grazing) may contribute to overeating, possibly because it never allows enough time for someone to feel truly hungry, decreasing their ability to be stay in touch with their true hunger versus fullness signals.
Everyone is a bit different in terms of how often and when they get hungry, so theres no hard-and-fast rule as to which number of meals is best. Eating only one meal per day might seem extreme, and it certainly can be very uncomfortable for some people, but for others it might provide substantial benefits and seem pretty manageable, especially if practiced only several days per week. Staying flexible and in touch with your appetite cues should really be the ultimate goal.
Eating plenty of protein, healthy fats, and veggies while keeping carb and sugar intake low is one of the most reliable ways to lose weight, often pretty quickly. Another name for a very low-carb, low-sugar diet is the Ketogenic Diet which has recently become very popular, followed by celebrities such as Halle Berry, but has actually been practiced since around the 1920s. The keto diet works by forcing the body to burn fat for energy instead of carbohydrates, a process called ketosis.
Ketosis is only possible when carb intake is kept very, very low around 25-30 grams of net carbs per day (the amount thats left when fiber is subtracted). Foods like meat, fish, oils, and non-starchy veggies are either very-low carb or no-carb, so they should make up the bulk of calories on plans like the keto diet. Dairy products, grains, fruit, legumes, and added sugars have more carbs, so they are either strictly limited or avoided all together. Most people will be able to achieve similar results to Kim if they follow a Moderate Keto Diet," sticking to about 60-75 grams of net carbs daily which allows for a bit more flexibility.
Answers have been edited for length.
How Do Celebrities Stay in Shape? See Their Craziest Weight Loss Hacks!
Khlo Kardashian Dishes on Her Sisters' Diets Admits "I Wouldn't Last a Day!"
EXCLUSIVE: Mama June Reveals Her Best Diet Tips Find out How She Slimmed Down!
- The truth behind the most popular diet trends of the ... - July 27th, 2019
- Is the ketogenic diet safe for diabetics? ( ... - July 25th, 2019
- Ketosis for Seniors: What Should You Know? - Perfect Keto - July 22nd, 2019
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? How to Avoid Common Issues - June 21st, 2019
- drbdiet.com - Bernstein Diet & Health Clinics - May 21st, 2019
- What Is the Keto Diet (and Should You Try It)? Health ... - May 21st, 2019
- Calcium: An Important Mineral For Women - Women's Health - May 21st, 2019
- Beyonce Diet aka The Master Cleanse or Lemonade Diet - May 16th, 2019
- What should I feed my backyard chickens? RSPCA Knowledgebase - May 16th, 2019
- Eating a Plant-Based Diet: Safely Going Vegan | Nerd Fitness - April 25th, 2019
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe Long Term? Potential Dangers to ... - March 31st, 2019
- Weight loss: Choosing a diet that's right for you - Mayo ... - March 30th, 2019
- Ketogenic Diet Benefits (& How to Do It Right) | Wellness Mama - March 12th, 2019
- Are low carb diets safe to follow? | All Natural Ideas - March 12th, 2019
- Find Out How to Diet Safely - Food Without Fire - March 9th, 2019
- Keto Diet for Women: Food List & Tips to Overcome Side ... - March 8th, 2019
- 11 Fruits can you Eat Safely in a Ketogenic Diet - Cool ... - March 7th, 2019
- HCG Diet | HCG Drops | HCG Diet Information | Your HCG - March 6th, 2019
- All About Cat Diets How and Why to Put Your Cat on a ... - February 12th, 2019
- Foods You Can Safely Eat Past The Due Dates | ActiveBeat - January 28th, 2019
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe for People with Diabetes? - Dr ... - December 20th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? 4 Potential Dangers to Be Aware Of ... - December 19th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Really Safe? - thedailymeal.com - December 19th, 2018
- The Vegan Diet Done Safely - Parsley Health - November 18th, 2018
- Ketogenic diet: Is the ultimate low-carb diet good for you ... - October 31st, 2018
- Keto Diet Beginners Guide: Understanding the Ketogenic Diet - October 2nd, 2018
- Is the Keto diet Safe? 10 Myth-Busting Arguments for the ... - August 8th, 2018
- Diet - Safety Talk Ideas - August 6th, 2018
- The Carnivore Diet: Can Eating Only Meat Supercharge Your ... - August 1st, 2018
- Diet and Weight Loss Safety Tips (UPDATE: Jul 2018) | 2 ... - July 26th, 2018
- What Is the Keto Diet, and Is It Safe? - May 24th, 2018
- How to Safely and Effectively Come Off the Keto Diet ... - May 7th, 2018
- Care Guide: Diet - April 2nd, 2018
- Eat Wheat: A Scientific and Clinically-Proven Approach to ... - March 16th, 2018
- Can Probiotics Make It Safely To Your Intestines? - February 19th, 2018
- How to safely and healthily use supplements in your diet ... - February 17th, 2018
- Liquid Diet: Facts About Plans and Effectiveness - February 17th, 2018
- 11 Low Carb Vegetables That You Can Safely Eat on the ... - February 7th, 2018
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe for Everyone? - Diagnosis:Diet - January 20th, 2018
- Best Weight Loss Pills For Women Reviewed - Top 8 Best ... - December 25th, 2017
- Safe Diets and Healthful Weight Loss - healthline.com - November 6th, 2017
- Can I diet while breastfeeding? KellyMom.com - October 15th, 2017
- How to Use Diet Pills Safely: 12 Steps (with Pictures ... - October 13th, 2017
- How to Lose Weight Quickly and Safely (for Teen Girls) - October 13th, 2017
- Chinese red viagra sildenafil citrate - Viagra and red bull safe - Red ant viagra review - Black Hills Today - September 6th, 2017
- The What IF Plan: all you need to know about the new DNA weight loss programme - Evening Standard - September 6th, 2017
- Coca-Cola Offering $1 Million for Natural Sugar Substitute - Newsmax - September 6th, 2017
- 'Global event' in Ames this fall to focus on digital literacy - Radio Iowa - September 6th, 2017
- All the Apps and Websites You Need When You Have a Kid With Food Allergies - Lifehacker Australia - September 6th, 2017
- Cheap female viagra pills - Name of female viagra tablet - Twin Cities Arts Reader - September 4th, 2017
- 'Diet guidelines biased against poor nations' - The News International - September 4th, 2017
- World-renowned Alzheimer's expert takes state fair stage - KARE - September 4th, 2017
- 10 new nutrients you should be eating right away - DailyO - September 4th, 2017
- Why West's low-fat diet advice could be deadly for Asia's poor, because they'll likely eat even more carbs - South China Morning Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Battling the deerfly - Stowe Today - September 2nd, 2017
- Levitra professional mail order - Levitra professional pills - Laughlin Entertainer - September 2nd, 2017
- A Bountiful Assortment - PetProductNews.com - September 2nd, 2017
- Don't talk about diets in front of your daughters, deputy head at top London school warns parents - Evening Standard - September 1st, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Capital FM Kenya (press release) (blog) - September 1st, 2017
- Sponsor spotlight: Harbor Square Athletic Club Healthy Lifestyle Tip good protein sources - My Edmonds News - September 1st, 2017
- Viagra soft tabs uk buy - Viagra soft tab generic - Forward Florida - September 1st, 2017
- The Most Weight You Can Safely Lose In A Month By Only ... - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines 'biased against poor nations' - New Vision - August 30th, 2017
- Nutrition: Tips to a healthful State Fair - Duluth News Tribune - August 30th, 2017
- How does a high-salt diet affect your body? - Reports Healthcare - August 30th, 2017
- Healthcare Startup Claims It Can Defeat Diabetes With Nutrition Alone - Futurism - August 30th, 2017
- Buy kamagra soft usa - Forward Florida - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Geo News, Pakistan - August 29th, 2017
- Men who get fit in middle age can halve their risk of strokes - Telegraph.co.uk - August 29th, 2017
- Can you really lose your belly fat with just 15 minutes of HIIT a day? Yes. - Metro - August 29th, 2017
- Viagra capsule in hindi - Viagra capsules price in india - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Extension Connection: Petscaping Your Yard - Canton Daily Ledger - August 27th, 2017
- Ketogenic diet loved for fast results, but does it work? - Gears Of Biz - August 27th, 2017
- The case for complete streets - Prince Rupert Northern View - August 27th, 2017
- How Conor McGregor's Weight Loss Ahead of His Big Fight May Harm His Body - Scientific American - August 27th, 2017
- Watch it! Artificial sweeteners can make you fat - Vanguard - August 26th, 2017
- 5 Tips For Traveling Safely With Food Allergies - POPSUGAR - August 26th, 2017
- 7 Things You've Always Wondered About a Colonoscopy - SELF - August 26th, 2017
- Stayin' Alive: The Big 'D' with Jeordan Hill - Buffalo Rising - August 23rd, 2017
- Vaginal seeding birth trend could do more harm than good - Netdoctor - August 23rd, 2017