By Bunmi Sofola
THE lives of everyone watching their weight were recently thrown into disarray when a leading food expert claimed that far from making us thinner, diet products containing artificial sweeteners may actually be responsible for weight gain.
For many of us, low-fat versions of our favourite foods yoghurt, fizzy drinks, spreads,biscuits, crisps and cheesemake us feel we can safely indulge in a little of what we want without piling on the pounds, by swapping natural sugars (at 40 calories a gram) for sugar substitutes that have just two calories.
But although chemical sweeteners were once thought to be the holy grail for dieters and diabetics, opinion has started to turn against them. So have we been misled for years about the ability of sweeteners to help us reduce our waistlines? Yes,says Professor Susan Swithers, who analysed scientific data from the past five years to produce her findings. Consuming artificial sweeteners not only adds to weight gain but, over time, is generally responsible for an increase in bad health out comes, says the professor, who is based at Purdue University, Indiana, in the US.
Our research followed people of different ages and weights (many werent overweight at the start), and those who drank a lot of diet sodas and other artificially sweetened foods were found to suffer Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke more often, and they tended to be more overweight. But Gavin Partington, of the British Soft Drinks Association, argues that Professor Swithers findings run contrary to decades of scientific research. So, whos right? Heres what experts say you need to know.
What are artificial sweeteners?
Unlike naturally occurring sweeteners such as sucrose (sugar) and fructose (fruit sugar), artificial sweeteners are synthetically manufactured to be non-nutritiveso they contain few or no calories. Five artificial sweeteners are permitted for use in the UK; aspartame, saccharin, acesulfame potassium (known as acesulfame K), cyclamate and sucralose.
Will you pile on the pounds?
Several studies show consuming low-calories artificial sweeteners makes people more likely to pile on weight than reduce it, according to Joanna BIythman,Britains leading investigative food journalist and author of: What To Eat. Our
bodies are designed to process natural foods, so expect calories along with a sweet taste, she says. So rather than helping us consume less sugar overall, by interfering with our satisfaction signals, artificial sweeteners cause us to crave even more
sweet food. A US study showed that while people who drank one to two cans of full-sugar fizzy drinks a day increased their risk of becoming overweight or obese by nearly 33 per cent over seven to eight years, those who replaced them with
diet alternatives had a 65-per cent risk. When you eat normal sugar, your taste buds tell the brain sugar is on its way,
says personal trainer James Duigan, of Bodyism, the celebrity London gym. So when the body receives a low-calorie artificial sweetener instead of sugar and the calories dont reach the stomach, the body is confused! Some sweeteners are
even thought to change hormonal activity, which can cause you to hold on to fat and lead to weight gain. Telling people to drink diet sodas could backfire as a public health message, Professor Swithers says. (The message to limit sugar
intake needs to be expanded to limit intake of all sweeteners, not just natural sugars.)
Do they give you a sweeter tooth?
Saccharin can be between 200 and 700 times sweeter than sugar, says James Duigan. Consuming a lot makes fruit and other naturally sugary foods cease to seem sweet, causing you to develop an even sweeter tooth. A sweet taste also
increases your appetite. A US. study two years ago found non-calorific sweeteners encouraged animals to eat more calorie-rich, sweet-tasting food, making them gain weight.
Are they bad for you in other ways?
A popular nutritional therapist, Dr. Marilyn Glenville is the author of Fat Around The Middle, and a specialist in womens health. She has serious concerns about ourconsumption of artificial sweeteners, and particularly about aspartame, one
of the most widely used chemical sweeteners, which is deemed safe by the European Food Standards Agency. It is 180 times sweeter than sugar and can
lead to pinge eating and cravings. Its also been linked to mood swings and depression because it alters levels of the brain chemical serotonin, says Dr. Glenville. There are also concerns that aspartame might be addictivepeople
who drink three to four cans of diet soft drinks every day, or regularly chew sugar-free gum, may experience withdrawal symptoms if they try to stop.
She always advises patients to avoid food or drinks containing artificial sweeteners and to check the small print on ingredients even with non-diet foods. Independent
studies on lab animals have suggested artificial sweeteners can pose serious health problems, including neurological issues, memory impairment and decreased liver function. Aspartame is one of the most researched ingredients I can think of,
says nutritionist Ian Marber. (And while some schools of thought believe it is carcinogenic, there is no proof of that. However, it taxes the liver and increases blood fat levels, which can lead to heart disease, diabetes and stroke risk, as well as weight gain.) Some research has even linked the consumption of artificially sweetened food and drinks to migraines and premature birth.
Are natural sugars better for you?
Nutritionist Ian Marber says there is a widely held belief that naturally occurring sugars, like
honey or agave syrup, are healthier than white sugar. But that isnt necessarily the case, he says. Natural sugars are not harmless. I see people who wouldnt touch a can of Coke, cover their breakfast in organic agave syrup. Too much of any sweetener can make you gain weight).
Any healthier alternatives?
James Duigan believes xylitol and the plant-based sweetener stevia are the best options. His tip for anyone trying to cut back on the sweet stuff altogether?
Cinnamon. Its a wonder ingredient, he says. (It tastes great, reduces cravings for sweet stuff, and helps regulate your blood sugar levels. I stir it into my coffee
and eat it on yoghurtyou can add it to your breakfast porridge.)
Full-sugar or diet drinks?
JAMES DUIGANS advice is to steer clear of fizzy drinks completely. If you want a healthy drink to quench your thirst, you cant do better than a long, cool glass of water, he says.
- The truth behind the most popular diet trends of the ... - July 27th, 2019
- Is the ketogenic diet safe for diabetics? ( ... - July 25th, 2019
- Ketosis for Seniors: What Should You Know? - Perfect Keto - July 22nd, 2019
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? How to Avoid Common Issues - June 21st, 2019
- drbdiet.com - Bernstein Diet & Health Clinics - May 21st, 2019
- What Is the Keto Diet (and Should You Try It)? Health ... - May 21st, 2019
- Calcium: An Important Mineral For Women - Women's Health - May 21st, 2019
- Beyonce Diet aka The Master Cleanse or Lemonade Diet - May 16th, 2019
- What should I feed my backyard chickens? RSPCA Knowledgebase - May 16th, 2019
- Eating a Plant-Based Diet: Safely Going Vegan | Nerd Fitness - April 25th, 2019
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe Long Term? Potential Dangers to ... - March 31st, 2019
- Weight loss: Choosing a diet that's right for you - Mayo ... - March 30th, 2019
- Ketogenic Diet Benefits (& How to Do It Right) | Wellness Mama - March 12th, 2019
- Are low carb diets safe to follow? | All Natural Ideas - March 12th, 2019
- Find Out How to Diet Safely - Food Without Fire - March 9th, 2019
- Keto Diet for Women: Food List & Tips to Overcome Side ... - March 8th, 2019
- 11 Fruits can you Eat Safely in a Ketogenic Diet - Cool ... - March 7th, 2019
- HCG Diet | HCG Drops | HCG Diet Information | Your HCG - March 6th, 2019
- All About Cat Diets How and Why to Put Your Cat on a ... - February 12th, 2019
- Foods You Can Safely Eat Past The Due Dates | ActiveBeat - January 28th, 2019
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe for People with Diabetes? - Dr ... - December 20th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? 4 Potential Dangers to Be Aware Of ... - December 19th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Really Safe? - thedailymeal.com - December 19th, 2018
- The Vegan Diet Done Safely - Parsley Health - November 18th, 2018
- Ketogenic diet: Is the ultimate low-carb diet good for you ... - October 31st, 2018
- Keto Diet Beginners Guide: Understanding the Ketogenic Diet - October 2nd, 2018
- Is the Keto diet Safe? 10 Myth-Busting Arguments for the ... - August 8th, 2018
- Diet - Safety Talk Ideas - August 6th, 2018
- The Carnivore Diet: Can Eating Only Meat Supercharge Your ... - August 1st, 2018
- Diet and Weight Loss Safety Tips (UPDATE: Jul 2018) | 2 ... - July 26th, 2018
- What Is the Keto Diet, and Is It Safe? - May 24th, 2018
- How to Safely and Effectively Come Off the Keto Diet ... - May 7th, 2018
- Care Guide: Diet - April 2nd, 2018
- Eat Wheat: A Scientific and Clinically-Proven Approach to ... - March 16th, 2018
- Can Probiotics Make It Safely To Your Intestines? - February 19th, 2018
- How to safely and healthily use supplements in your diet ... - February 17th, 2018
- Liquid Diet: Facts About Plans and Effectiveness - February 17th, 2018
- 11 Low Carb Vegetables That You Can Safely Eat on the ... - February 7th, 2018
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe for Everyone? - Diagnosis:Diet - January 20th, 2018
- Best Weight Loss Pills For Women Reviewed - Top 8 Best ... - December 25th, 2017
- Safe Diets and Healthful Weight Loss - healthline.com - November 6th, 2017
- Can I diet while breastfeeding? KellyMom.com - October 15th, 2017
- How to Use Diet Pills Safely: 12 Steps (with Pictures ... - October 13th, 2017
- How to Lose Weight Quickly and Safely (for Teen Girls) - October 13th, 2017
- Chinese red viagra sildenafil citrate - Viagra and red bull safe - Red ant viagra review - Black Hills Today - September 6th, 2017
- The What IF Plan: all you need to know about the new DNA weight loss programme - Evening Standard - September 6th, 2017
- Coca-Cola Offering $1 Million for Natural Sugar Substitute - Newsmax - September 6th, 2017
- 'Global event' in Ames this fall to focus on digital literacy - Radio Iowa - September 6th, 2017
- All the Apps and Websites You Need When You Have a Kid With Food Allergies - Lifehacker Australia - September 6th, 2017
- Cheap female viagra pills - Name of female viagra tablet - Twin Cities Arts Reader - September 4th, 2017
- 'Diet guidelines biased against poor nations' - The News International - September 4th, 2017
- World-renowned Alzheimer's expert takes state fair stage - KARE - September 4th, 2017
- 10 new nutrients you should be eating right away - DailyO - September 4th, 2017
- Why West's low-fat diet advice could be deadly for Asia's poor, because they'll likely eat even more carbs - South China Morning Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Battling the deerfly - Stowe Today - September 2nd, 2017
- Levitra professional mail order - Levitra professional pills - Laughlin Entertainer - September 2nd, 2017
- A Bountiful Assortment - PetProductNews.com - September 2nd, 2017
- Don't talk about diets in front of your daughters, deputy head at top London school warns parents - Evening Standard - September 1st, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Capital FM Kenya (press release) (blog) - September 1st, 2017
- Sponsor spotlight: Harbor Square Athletic Club Healthy Lifestyle Tip good protein sources - My Edmonds News - September 1st, 2017
- Viagra soft tabs uk buy - Viagra soft tab generic - Forward Florida - September 1st, 2017
- The Most Weight You Can Safely Lose In A Month By Only ... - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines 'biased against poor nations' - New Vision - August 30th, 2017
- Nutrition: Tips to a healthful State Fair - Duluth News Tribune - August 30th, 2017
- How does a high-salt diet affect your body? - Reports Healthcare - August 30th, 2017
- Healthcare Startup Claims It Can Defeat Diabetes With Nutrition Alone - Futurism - August 30th, 2017
- Buy kamagra soft usa - Forward Florida - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Geo News, Pakistan - August 29th, 2017
- Men who get fit in middle age can halve their risk of strokes - Telegraph.co.uk - August 29th, 2017
- Can you really lose your belly fat with just 15 minutes of HIIT a day? Yes. - Metro - August 29th, 2017
- Viagra capsule in hindi - Viagra capsules price in india - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Extension Connection: Petscaping Your Yard - Canton Daily Ledger - August 27th, 2017
- Ketogenic diet loved for fast results, but does it work? - Gears Of Biz - August 27th, 2017
- The case for complete streets - Prince Rupert Northern View - August 27th, 2017
- How Conor McGregor's Weight Loss Ahead of His Big Fight May Harm His Body - Scientific American - August 27th, 2017
- 5 Tips For Traveling Safely With Food Allergies - POPSUGAR - August 26th, 2017
- 7 Things You've Always Wondered About a Colonoscopy - SELF - August 26th, 2017
- We Talked With an Expert About Whether You Can Actually Lose Weight With the Apple Cider Vinegar Diet or Bone ... - Life & Style Weekly - August 26th, 2017
- Stayin' Alive: The Big 'D' with Jeordan Hill - Buffalo Rising - August 23rd, 2017
- Vaginal seeding birth trend could do more harm than good - Netdoctor - August 23rd, 2017