Deepa and Allen had had it with their unhealthy lifestyle. Being friends, they started on their new health regime together, right from controlling food portion sizes to counting calories to cutting out binge weekends. They even joined the same gym. Allen chose to weight / strength train, which he would supplement with cardio. Deepa felt weights are not for girls and decided to stick to the treadmill, cycle and cross-trainer bike.
A month on, Deepa had lost three kilos, and Allen just one. Allen was a bit disappointed, but his gut feeling said he was on the right track. Deepa was jubilant, and kept giving Allen the I told you so look, irritating him no end.
Advertisement opens in new window
Three months later, it was Alle's turn to laugh (which he didn't). Deepas weight loss hadstagnated. However, Allen was five kilos lighter and was looking a lot leaner and muscular. Hisstamina and strength had improved, and his blood pressure and cholesterol levels had decreased.
What happened here?
More Muscle Burns More Fat
Many physiological reasons helped Allen lose weight. The biggest factor was that he acquired muscle mass with weight and strength training. What appeared to be a loss of one kilo of body weight in the first month was actually a loss of two kilos of fat and gain of one kilo of muscle.Meanwhile, Deepa lost three kilos of fat and muscle combined, but didnt gain any new musclefibres.
How does that matter?
Well, increased basal metabolism is probably the most obvious advantage of acquiring muscles. Simply put, the more muscle you carry, the more calories you burn. So, as Allen built more muscle, the rate at which he burnt calories went up.
Advertisement opens in new window
Muscle is denser than fat. A kilo of muscle takes less space than a kilo of fat. The density of muscle is 1.06 kilo/liter of space while fat is 0.9196 kilo / litre of space. So when Allen lost 10 kilos of fat and gained 5 kilos of muscle, though he lost only 5 kilos on the scale, he had actually become about 6.1 litre smaller.
This is also why you must stop taking your weighing scale as the absolute measure. Learn to trust your mirror and how you feel in your body.
Strength Training Doesnt Make Women Mannish Allen tried to convince Deepa to strength train. She had her reservations. She wanted to look like Katrina Kaif, not Arnold Schwarzenegger. She was scared that her body would develop extreme bulges that would ruin her femininity.
Nothing is farther from the truth. Women cannot look or be as muscular as men because they have relatively minor quantities of testosterone in their bodies. The stereotypical image of the female a bodybuilder that you see on the Internet is, more often than not, of models who chronically (mis)use androgenic compounds, which are synthetic versions of testosterone.
Advertisement opens in new window
The Truth of the MatterIn reality, strength training is more important for women than men. It increases bone density andreduces the risk of osteoporosis. It elevates endorphins, which improves mood and reduces stress. It also enhances body composition, hence self-esteem.
The challenge is to approach strength training without preconceived notions. Strength training is not synonymous with bodybuilding or powerlifting. It is a training model that builds health, fitness and performance in everyday people like us. Exercise is indispensable in this day and age. And if you have to choose, strength training is perhaps the best option.
We will be back next week on how to start a strength-training program. Keep watching thisspace!
Go here to see the original:
The Strength Of Strength Training - Outlook India
- Weight Loss and Testosterone | TRTMD Men's Health Clinic - June 23rd, 2019
- Testosterone For Women's Weight Loss - It's Not All About ... - June 21st, 2019
- The Keto Diet Plan and Weight Loss for Men Revive Low T ... - May 11th, 2019
- How to use Testosterone Cream for Women to Boost Weight Loss ... - April 15th, 2019
- Low Testosterone & Wellness Center | Allen, TX - April 9th, 2019
- Weight Loss Glen Allen VA - Rejuvenate MD | HRT - April 8th, 2019
- Testosterone Weight Loss Case Study: 20 # Lost with ... - March 6th, 2019
- How Increasing Testosterone Helps Weight Loss In Men Over 40 - November 23rd, 2018
- The Untold Testosterone Story for Women | Dr. Tami - May 31st, 2018
- Pregnenolone Weight Loss Regimen: The Master Hormone for ... - February 21st, 2018
- Fitness for Weight Loss Blog - February 8th, 2018
- Dr. Marlowe's Weight Loss Institute. 400 Clarice Ave ... - February 8th, 2018
- Testosterone and Weight Loss -How do they affect each other? - January 31st, 2018
- Synergenx Health, Testosterone & Weight Loss - Yelp - December 25th, 2017
- Testosterone and Rapid Weight Loss | Iron Man Magazine - December 6th, 2017
- Testosterone - Medical Center Weight Loss Clinic - San ... - October 6th, 2017
- Testosterone and Weight Loss - October 1st, 2017
- Weight and cancer risk - MyDaytonDailyNews - September 6th, 2017
- How to ensure your body gets the right balance of hormones - Economic Times - September 6th, 2017
- Day or night ... why anytime is the right time for getting a good workout - Belfast Telegraph - September 6th, 2017
- Chemotherapy drugs for colon cancer - Clenbuterol cycle for female weight loss - Magnetic Media (press release) - September 3rd, 2017
- Five ways to overcome testosterone decline - The Sport Review - September 3rd, 2017
- polycystic ovarian syndrome: A common cause of female infertility - NIGERIAN TRIBUNE (press release) (blog) - September 2nd, 2017
- How obesity can lead to erectile dysfunction - TheHealthSite - September 2nd, 2017
- A story of 'enduranz' - Business Mirror - August 31st, 2017
- Why you need to go off keto - Mumbai Mirror - August 28th, 2017
- Here Are The Answers To The Most Asked Question About Bodybuilding Steroids - MensXP.com - August 25th, 2017
- Obesity and its implications on sexual heath - The Navhind Times - August 25th, 2017
- How food can help, harm fertility - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - August 25th, 2017
- Male hair loss: Three ways to reduce YOUR risk of going bald - Express.co.uk - August 25th, 2017
- Bigelow Center presents free talk by Dr. Woznitzer - Fairfield Sun - August 24th, 2017
- Real Men Wear Gowns: Why men aren't taking their health seriously - KARE - August 18th, 2017
- SEXUAL HEALTH: It's no laughing matter - Daily Nation - August 18th, 2017
- Researchers Track an Unlikely Culprit in Weight Gain - New York Times - August 11th, 2017
- Top health benefits of green chillies - The Statesman - August 11th, 2017
- The best time of the day for your team to be productive - Human Resources Online - August 11th, 2017
- Man flu is real, but women get more autoimmune diseases and allergies - Medical Xpress - August 7th, 2017
- Albuterol sulfate overdose treatment - How fast does albuterol work for weight loss - Hayati Magazine (blog) - August 2nd, 2017
- Myth 1: Weightlifting Makes You Bulk Up - POPSUGAR Australia - August 2nd, 2017
- Fitness trends - Daily News & Analysis - August 2nd, 2017
- Trying to conceive? Think about your diet - Independent Online - August 2nd, 2017
- FINA Announces Three Doping Suspensions - SwimSwam - July 31st, 2017
- Can Testosterone Help You Lose Weight? | Men's Fitness - July 31st, 2017
- Trying to conceive? Think about what you're eating - Stuff.co.nz - July 31st, 2017
- AbbVie Ordered to Pay $150 Million Damages in 'Low-T' Trial - Bloomberg - July 31st, 2017
- What military recruiters aren't telling women: You'll face disproportionate health risks - Los Angeles Times - July 31st, 2017
- The Top 5 Myths About Weightlifting That Need to Be Busted - POPSUGAR - July 31st, 2017
- 7 Beets Benefits For Your Health, From Losing Weight To Better Sex - Medical Daily - July 31st, 2017
- What Men should Know About Testosterone and Weight Loss - July 10th, 2017
- 5 'No Brainer' Rules Of Starting A Weight Loss Journey For Beginners - MensXP.com - July 10th, 2017
- Why Can't I Get Rid Of My Belly Fat? Here Are 7 Reasons - Huffington Post Australia - July 10th, 2017
- Vitamin D Deficiency in Men - Reports Healthcare - July 8th, 2017
- Amazing Weight Loss & Wellness - Flower Mound, TX | (972 ... - July 8th, 2017
- Does when we eat matter - Independent.ie - July 8th, 2017