A new study out of the Cleveland Clinic found that obesity robs us of more years of our lives than any other preventable health issue. That means that of all the top lifestyle-related killers that are in our power to modify or treat including smoking, high blood pressure and high cholesterol obesity shortens life the most.
That is bad news for the 13 million adults aged 65 and over who are obese, which is more than a third of that age group. While a few extra pounds on older adults are not a health issue and may even be beneficial, too much excess weight can contribute to a variety of health problems, including inflammation, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, certain cancers, joint problems and even cognitive impairment.
Additionally, obese older adults are admitted to the hospital and emergency room more than their non-obese counterparts.
The good news is that while obesity can lead to lost years or unhealthy years, you have the power to get those years back. Even losing as little as 3% of your total body weight can make a difference if you maintain it.
Usually, people who have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or more are considered obese and those with a BMI between 25 and 29.9 are overweight. Your BMI is an estimate of your body fat based on height and weight.
However, there are other factors to consider in addition to, or instead of, your BMI.
Dr. Tiffany Lowe-Payne, a family practitioner in Raleigh, N.C., with a board certification in obesity medicine, says that defining obesity can be tricky for older adults.
With age, we tend to lose muscle mass, which weighs more than fat. So, while your weight or BMI may not change, your body fat stores may increase as well as your risk for obesity-related diseases. On the other hand, older adults often lose inches in their height and may be classified as obese because their BMI has increased but their weight has stayed the same.
You need to look at multiple factors. We look at waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio, explains Lowe-Payne. (Abdominal fat increases the risk for heart disease.) We can track those measurements over time to see if patients have reduced their health risks even if the number on the scale is the same.
Some adults have always had weight issues. Others find the number on the scale climbs as their metabolism and energy levels slow and their eating habits change or perhaps, unwisely, dont.
Lifestyle changes may be a factor as well. If youre a widow or widower, you may not cook or visit the grocery store as frequently as in the past. Registered dietitian Maureen Janowski, a certified specialist in gerontological nutrition and fellow of The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics explains that fear of falling or low energy levels may prevent older adults from shopping regularly for fresh produce and healthy food.
Instead, they may stock up on unhealthy processed foods that have a longer shelf life or resort to fast-food options. Additionally, medications for other health issues, such as heart disease and high blood pressure, may cause weight gain.
Lowe-Payne points out that menopause for women and declining testosterone levels for men can alter hormonal balances that can also contribute to weight gain.
While the health benefits of losing weight for younger people are clear cut, there is some debate in the medical community when it comes to excess weight in older adults. In some cases, obesity or some excess weight is thought to be protective.
In some individuals, especially those with heart disease, we see that excess weight can stop them from having an acute cardiac episode, says Lowe-Payne.
The problem is that losing weight leads to muscle loss. Older adults are already prone to losing muscle mass, a condition called sarcopenia. Low muscle tone can lead to falls, low energy and less activity. In fact, Janowski says that she doesnt counsel her patients to lose weight unless they are very obese. For overweight adults, I tell them to maintain their weight and stay active, she says.
Excess weight can also be protective in the case of prolonged hospitalization or illness, which usually leads to weight and muscle loss. But the amount of excess weight that is helpful is still in question, says Lowe-Payne.
We dont know how much excess weight is beneficial and we also dont know exactly why its beneficial, she says.
Losing weight for older adults can be slightly more complicated than your basic eat less, exercise more formula. Lowe-Payne strongly advises working with a doctor to determine a safe and effective exercise and weight-loss plan. Additionally, a physician can review your medications to see if any may cause weight gain. Some general guidelines to help older people lose weight effectively and safely include:
Cardiovascular exercise: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise every week.If you havent exercised before or in a while, its important to start slowly. Its not necessary to strap on running shoes or grab a tennis racquet. Lowe-Payne says walking or even gardening can be beneficial.
Strength training: Its important to make sure that any weight-loss program includes strength training (at least twice a week, recommends the CDC) to prevent muscle loss. Again, no need to bench press dozens of pounds. Simple exercise bands or even lifting household items such as soup cans will have an effect, says Janowski.
Protein: Its essential for preserving and building muscles, and some research suggests that older adults need more protein than their younger counterparts. Try eating a serving of protein at every meal, including yogurt or eggs for breakfast.
Hydration: Its important to stay hydrated for health reasons and also because thirst is sometimes confused with hunger. Drinking water all day long can help you feel fuller and prevent dehydration. You can jazz up your water by adding lemon, lime or another type of fruit for a boost of flavor.
Portion control: A simple way to remember how much of each type of food you need per meal, or what constitutes a portion, is to use the U.S Department of Agriculture My Plate visual. Fill half your lunch or dinner plate with fruits and vegetables, a quarter with whole grains such as quinoa or brown rice and the other quarter with a lean protein. If you buy packaged goods, read the label so you understand the portion sizes.
- 5 Ways Saxenda Helps with Weight Loss & How to use it Safely - May 19th, 2019
- Top 10 Weight Loss Programs 2019 - Reviews, Costs & Features - May 16th, 2019
- Weight Management | Weight Loss | Henry Ford Health System ... - May 16th, 2019
- 13 Easy Ways to Lose Water Weight (Fast and Safely) - April 25th, 2019
- Losing weight guide | healthdirect - April 5th, 2019
- How to lose weight safely - Food and nutrition | NHS inform - March 15th, 2019
- Alcohol and Losing Weight | Is Alcohol Bad for Weight Loss? - March 13th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Safely and Healthily Losing Weight Fast - March 12th, 2019
- Rapid Weight Loss: Is It Safe? Does It Work? - webmd.com - February 23rd, 2019
- Losing weight safely? | Yahoo Answers - February 22nd, 2019
- Autorotation - Wikipedia - February 9th, 2019
- Top 5 Natural Appetite Suppressants to Help Lose Weight ... - January 31st, 2019
- Ayurvedic Home Remedies For Weight Loss - Pitta Ayurveda - January 31st, 2019
- Start the NHS weight loss plan - NHS - January 14th, 2019
- Pointers on Losing Weight Safely - December 15th, 2018
- How to Safely Lose Weight During Pregnancy - healthline.com - December 6th, 2018
- How Can I Lose Weight Safely? - kidshealth.org - November 22nd, 2018
- PCOS Diet: Stop Counting Calories and Start Losing Weight ... - June 29th, 2018
- Lose weight - Live Well - NHS Choices - May 21st, 2018
- Underactive Pituitary Gland (Hypopituitarism) - Healthline - March 5th, 2018
- The Pituitary Society | Glossary of Terms Related to ... - March 5th, 2018
- Hypopituitary: Pituitary Gland Disorder Causes & Treatments - March 5th, 2018
- List At Least 5 Tips And Guidelines For Losing Weight Safely - February 28th, 2018
- Weight Loss Help in Little Rock AR Lose A Pound A Day Safely - January 29th, 2018
- How to lose weight fast, but safely - Healthy tips for ... - December 7th, 2017
- 5 Ways to Lose Weight Safely - wikiHow - October 15th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight Fast and Safely - webmd.com - October 13th, 2017
- Hurricane Irma could follow in Hugo's deadly and destructive footsteps - Winston-Salem Journal - September 6th, 2017
- Lasix potassium sparing diuretic - Relex lasik thailand - Does lasix cause diabetes - GrungeCake (press release) (blog) - September 5th, 2017
- Nikkei falls to 1-week lows as North Korea tensions persist - Reuters - September 5th, 2017
- Millennials Down on Opioids - National Pain Report - September 4th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight While Breastfeeding Without Losing Your ... - September 4th, 2017
- How to Safely Use Weight Loss Shakes - wikiHow - August 25th, 2017
- Ask a Geriatrician: How can I prevent falls? - The Daily Progress - August 25th, 2017
- How Can I Lose Weight Safely? - August 19th, 2017
- Body & Mind Medical Weight Loss Center's Jump Start to Health Program Delivers Visible Results With 10-Day ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 8th, 2017
- This is the diet Guy Sebastian did to look ripped on the cover of Men's Health - NEWS.com.au - August 8th, 2017
- The Keto diet: Is eating more fat the key to weight loss? - Arizona State University - August 8th, 2017
- 'More pressure on new mums to lose weight' Amy Childs slammed ... - goodtoknow - August 4th, 2017
- Family beach vacation spawns a marital battle - The Seattle Times - August 4th, 2017
- Losing weight safely - Business Mirror - August 3rd, 2017
- FAT BUSTER: He did this when he hit 100 kilos! - Times of India - July 31st, 2017
- OLDER AND WISER: It's important to get up and move around - North Shore News - July 31st, 2017
- Kris Harris: Unleash you're fitness animal - Longmont Times-Call - July 31st, 2017
- Trichomoniasis zithromax treatment - Medicine infographic - Van Wert independent - July 11th, 2017
- Propecia hair products - Propecia safe or not - Van Wert independent - July 9th, 2017
- Green Park Care Home placed in special measures by the Care Quality Commission after residents found to be at risk ... - Warrington Guardian - July 9th, 2017
- Samoa Joe Can't Be Stopped - Deadspin - July 9th, 2017
- 3rd time's the charm for SpaceX comsat launch - WSAW - July 8th, 2017
- 5 important hydration tips to stay safe in the heat - WRAL.com - July 5th, 2017
- SpaceX finally launches Falcon 9 rocket - WDEF News 12 - July 5th, 2017
- Diet Doc Examines the Drawbacks of the 'Coffee Diet' - GlobeNewswire (press release) - July 5th, 2017
- What is anorexia nervosa? Signs, symptoms and treatment options for the common disorder - The Sun - July 4th, 2017
- Medically Managed Weight Loss: A Nonsurgical Approach to a Healthier Weight - Newswise (press release) - June 30th, 2017
- Chaotic Messaging: When Eating Disorders Enter the Media - Jewish Link of New Jersey - June 30th, 2017
- Four-star recruits haven't changed Pete - KTVB - June 29th, 2017
- The Best Way to Lose Weight Safely - livescience.com - June 28th, 2017
- How to Lose Water Weight - WomansDay.com (blog) - June 28th, 2017
- Netflix's 'To the Bone' Could Be Harmful to Those With Anorexia - SELF - June 28th, 2017
- I Tried A Diet And Fitness Plan Based On My DNA And Couldn't Believe The Results - BuzzFeed News - June 28th, 2017
- How to lose those last 5 pounds - Today.com - June 28th, 2017
- Shonda Rhimes Hated the Newfound Attention She Got After Losing Weight - SELF - June 28th, 2017
- Sharing decision to have weight loss surgery is purely personal choice - Billings Gazette - June 28th, 2017
- Could the hCG Diet Be 'Life Threatening'? - Yahoo Health - June 28th, 2017
- Holly Willoughby looks awkward as giggling Loose Woman Nadia Sawalha comments on her weight loss - The Sun - June 28th, 2017
- Diet Doc Weight Loss Program Offers Greater Customized Results Than The 'Blood Type Diet' - GlobeNewswire (press release) - June 27th, 2017
- Protein gels to stop deadly effects of muscle wasting due to cancer - Independent.ie - June 27th, 2017
- Don't 'Eat for Two' While Pregnant - Healthline - June 25th, 2017
- Levitra soft tabs 20mg - Queens Tribune - June 25th, 2017
- Big Blue View Mailbag: Dwayne Harris, Donte Deayon, More Roster Questions - Big Blue View - June 24th, 2017
- Many roads, one truth for cyclists - San Francisco Chronicle - June 22nd, 2017
- 7 Lifesaving Habits To Keep Heart Disease Away - Information Nigeria - June 21st, 2017
- The ST Guide To... losing weight and getting fit - The Straits Times - June 17th, 2017
- Losing weight? Vegetarian diets help shed twice as many pounds - SHEmazing - June 14th, 2017
- UFC Gym Santa Clarita's Functional Fitness Program Offers A Unique Workout Method For Community - KHTS Radio - June 14th, 2017
- Daniel Cormier on new CSAC weight rules: 'I have to be careful' - MMA Fighting - June 10th, 2017
- Operation Transformation star Karl Henry teaming up with TV3's Sinead Desmond to bring 18 hillwalkers up four ... - Irish Mirror - June 8th, 2017
- This fat pig is 80 pounds overweight. Its Billerica owner is under ... - Lowell Sun - June 7th, 2017
- Rapid Weight Loss Hypnosis Myths About Rapid Weight Loss And Fast Dieting - Good Herald - June 7th, 2017
- Wu-Yi Tea Diet a Less Expensive and Convenient Diet Regimen Alternative - Good Herald - June 7th, 2017