August 2, 2017
Models, athletes and celebrities swear by the ketogenic keto diet to help shed those unwanted pounds. The keto diet encourages eating more cheese, butter and bacon; its a low-carb, high-fat diet akin to the Atkins Diet created in 1972 by cardiologist Robert C. Atkins. The latest fad diet has amassed a following of devoted supporters, including Tim Tebow, LeBron James and Kim Kardashian, but does it really work?
Carol Johnston, professor and associate director of the nutrition program in the School of Nutrition and Health PromotionThe School of Nutrition and Health Promotion is part of the College of Health Solutions. at Arizona State University, explains why the low-carb, high-fat diet is so popular, how it works, and what dieters should be eating to lose weight.
Question: Does the science behind the keto diet make sense? Would nearly eliminating carbs while increasing fat consumption help a person to lose weight?
Answer: The short answer is yes. There is mounting evidence that suggests calorie restricted, low-carbohydrate, high-protein diets are effective for weight loss, and the keto diet is an extreme version of this. Low-carb diets can be more satiating, allowing dieters to feel full longer, eat less, and thus experience greater weight loss success. However, calorie restricted, high-carb diets are also effective for weight loss.
Overwhelmingly, the most important factor in weight loss success is diet adherence. In research trials, most individuals who lose weight regain most of it within a year, regardless of which diet they were on. The downside of many of the fad diets you see today is the lack of emphasis on long-term lifestyle changes, which is necessary for long-term weight loss success.
Q: In your opinion, why is this diet so popular?
A: The keto diet is popular because it is easy to follow and on the surface seems effective. In the first few days after starting the keto diet, a person can experience a significant loss of water weight. When carb intake is restricted for a few days, glycogen stores in the muscle are reduced. Glycogen is responsible for water retention, so when its levels fall, so do our water levels. To the average person, the diet appears to be working. The number on the scale is going down. But, since most of this weight lost is water weight, it will return when the person consumes carbs again. While most people rely on scales to monitor weight loss and think any weight loss is good, the goal is actually to lose fat, which isnt always reflected on the scale. Additionally, the elevated levels of satiety feeling full may help people stick to the diet longer and experience greater weight loss success.
The keto diet encourages eating more cheese, butter and bacon.
Q: Is the keto diet healthy?
A: Keto diets have safely been used as an effective therapy for epilepsy for years. There are some risks associated with an extremely low-carb, high-fat diet, including elevated blood triglycerides (linked to elevated cardiovascular risk), increased urinary uric acid (which may lead to the formation of kidney stones), and lethargy. Adults on a low-carb diet are also at risk for adverse impacts to their bone health.
Q: Were always hearing about the evils of carbohydrates when it comes to losing weight. How important are carbs to our health and what role do they play in weight loss?
A: Carbs play a critical role in our health. We get energy either by burning glucose from carbs, or by burning fat. The keto diet focuses on the latter. Though carb-restricting diets are popular, carbs are actually less likely to convert into body fat than dietary fat.
Carbs are important for our brain and muscle health. Our brains rely entirely on glucose for energy productionthey cant get it from fatmaking the consumption of some carbs necessary. Our muscles can use either glucose or fat for energy, but during high-intensity exercise, they prefer glucose.
When we eat more carbs than we need, they convert to body fat, which contributes to obesity. In general, average Americansthose with a relatively sedentary lifestyleconsume more carbs and calories than they actually need. Athletes, on the other hand, need to keep their carb intake elevated to support their energy output. Balance between energy intake and output is key to maintaining a healthy weight.
Q: For people who are trying to lose weight what foods should they avoid? What foods should they include in their diet?
A: Energy dense-foods should be avoided (gravies, dressings, sauces, sweets, pastries, cakes, cookies, sugary drinks, etc.) and low energy, nutrient-rich foods should be prominent in the diet (unprocessed plant foods, low fat dairy and lean, unprocessed meats).
Q: What should people know about the effectiveness or safety of fad diets like Atkins, keto, liquid diets, paleo, calorie restriction, etc.?
A: Any diet that restricts calories will typically result in weight loss if a person sticks with it. What is important when following a calorie-restricted diet (about 500 less calories per day) is that it has healthful attributes a diet composed of plant-based, unprocessed foods with low fat content such as the Mediterranean diet. (Note, 500 calories equates to two 12 ounce sodas and a large chocolate chip cookie!)
Photos courtesy of Pixabay.com
Read the original here:
The Keto diet: Is eating more fat the key to weight loss? - Arizona State University
- Losing Weight After 60 Is Hard Here Are 9 Ways to Drop ... - July 22nd, 2019
- How to Lose 10 Pounds Without Starving (Or Putting It ... - July 21st, 2019
- Weight loss: 6 strategies for success - Mayo Clinic - July 9th, 2019
- 5 Ways Saxenda Helps with Weight Loss & How to use it Safely - May 19th, 2019
- Top 10 Weight Loss Programs 2019 - Reviews, Costs & Features - May 16th, 2019
- Weight Management | Weight Loss | Henry Ford Health System ... - May 16th, 2019
- 13 Easy Ways to Lose Water Weight (Fast and Safely) - April 25th, 2019
- Losing weight guide | healthdirect - April 5th, 2019
- How to lose weight safely - Food and nutrition | NHS inform - March 15th, 2019
- Alcohol and Losing Weight | Is Alcohol Bad for Weight Loss? - March 13th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Safely and Healthily Losing Weight Fast - March 12th, 2019
- Rapid Weight Loss: Is It Safe? Does It Work? - webmd.com - February 23rd, 2019
- Losing weight safely? | Yahoo Answers - February 22nd, 2019
- Autorotation - Wikipedia - February 9th, 2019
- Top 5 Natural Appetite Suppressants to Help Lose Weight ... - January 31st, 2019
- Ayurvedic Home Remedies For Weight Loss - Pitta Ayurveda - January 31st, 2019
- Start the NHS weight loss plan - NHS - January 14th, 2019
- Pointers on Losing Weight Safely - December 15th, 2018
- How to Safely Lose Weight During Pregnancy - healthline.com - December 6th, 2018
- How Can I Lose Weight Safely? - kidshealth.org - November 22nd, 2018
- PCOS Diet: Stop Counting Calories and Start Losing Weight ... - June 29th, 2018
- Lose weight - Live Well - NHS Choices - May 21st, 2018
- Underactive Pituitary Gland (Hypopituitarism) - Healthline - March 5th, 2018
- The Pituitary Society | Glossary of Terms Related to ... - March 5th, 2018
- Hypopituitary: Pituitary Gland Disorder Causes & Treatments - March 5th, 2018
- List At Least 5 Tips And Guidelines For Losing Weight Safely - February 28th, 2018
- Weight Loss Help in Little Rock AR Lose A Pound A Day Safely - January 29th, 2018
- How to lose weight fast, but safely - Healthy tips for ... - December 7th, 2017
- 5 Ways to Lose Weight Safely - wikiHow - October 15th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight Fast and Safely - webmd.com - October 13th, 2017
- Hurricane Irma could follow in Hugo's deadly and destructive footsteps - Winston-Salem Journal - September 6th, 2017
- Lasix potassium sparing diuretic - Relex lasik thailand - Does lasix cause diabetes - GrungeCake (press release) (blog) - September 5th, 2017
- Nikkei falls to 1-week lows as North Korea tensions persist - Reuters - September 5th, 2017
- Millennials Down on Opioids - National Pain Report - September 4th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight While Breastfeeding Without Losing Your ... - September 4th, 2017
- How to Safely Use Weight Loss Shakes - wikiHow - August 25th, 2017
- Ask a Geriatrician: How can I prevent falls? - The Daily Progress - August 25th, 2017
- How Can I Lose Weight Safely? - August 19th, 2017
- Body & Mind Medical Weight Loss Center's Jump Start to Health Program Delivers Visible Results With 10-Day ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 8th, 2017
- This is the diet Guy Sebastian did to look ripped on the cover of Men's Health - NEWS.com.au - August 8th, 2017
- 'More pressure on new mums to lose weight' Amy Childs slammed ... - goodtoknow - August 4th, 2017
- Family beach vacation spawns a marital battle - The Seattle Times - August 4th, 2017
- Losing weight safely - Business Mirror - August 3rd, 2017
- FAT BUSTER: He did this when he hit 100 kilos! - Times of India - July 31st, 2017
- OLDER AND WISER: It's important to get up and move around - North Shore News - July 31st, 2017
- Kris Harris: Unleash you're fitness animal - Longmont Times-Call - July 31st, 2017
- Trichomoniasis zithromax treatment - Medicine infographic - Van Wert independent - July 11th, 2017
- Propecia hair products - Propecia safe or not - Van Wert independent - July 9th, 2017
- Green Park Care Home placed in special measures by the Care Quality Commission after residents found to be at risk ... - Warrington Guardian - July 9th, 2017
- Samoa Joe Can't Be Stopped - Deadspin - July 9th, 2017
- 3rd time's the charm for SpaceX comsat launch - WSAW - July 8th, 2017
- 5 important hydration tips to stay safe in the heat - WRAL.com - July 5th, 2017
- SpaceX finally launches Falcon 9 rocket - WDEF News 12 - July 5th, 2017
- Diet Doc Examines the Drawbacks of the 'Coffee Diet' - GlobeNewswire (press release) - July 5th, 2017
- What is anorexia nervosa? Signs, symptoms and treatment options for the common disorder - The Sun - July 4th, 2017
- The one preventable health problem that's most likely to kill you - MarketWatch - June 30th, 2017
- Medically Managed Weight Loss: A Nonsurgical Approach to a Healthier Weight - Newswise (press release) - June 30th, 2017
- Chaotic Messaging: When Eating Disorders Enter the Media - Jewish Link of New Jersey - June 30th, 2017
- Four-star recruits haven't changed Pete - KTVB - June 29th, 2017
- The Best Way to Lose Weight Safely - livescience.com - June 28th, 2017
- How to Lose Water Weight - WomansDay.com (blog) - June 28th, 2017
- Netflix's 'To the Bone' Could Be Harmful to Those With Anorexia - SELF - June 28th, 2017
- I Tried A Diet And Fitness Plan Based On My DNA And Couldn't Believe The Results - BuzzFeed News - June 28th, 2017
- How to lose those last 5 pounds - Today.com - June 28th, 2017
- Shonda Rhimes Hated the Newfound Attention She Got After Losing Weight - SELF - June 28th, 2017
- Sharing decision to have weight loss surgery is purely personal choice - Billings Gazette - June 28th, 2017
- Could the hCG Diet Be 'Life Threatening'? - Yahoo Health - June 28th, 2017
- Holly Willoughby looks awkward as giggling Loose Woman Nadia Sawalha comments on her weight loss - The Sun - June 28th, 2017
- Diet Doc Weight Loss Program Offers Greater Customized Results Than The 'Blood Type Diet' - GlobeNewswire (press release) - June 27th, 2017
- Protein gels to stop deadly effects of muscle wasting due to cancer - Independent.ie - June 27th, 2017
- Don't 'Eat for Two' While Pregnant - Healthline - June 25th, 2017
- Levitra soft tabs 20mg - Queens Tribune - June 25th, 2017
- Big Blue View Mailbag: Dwayne Harris, Donte Deayon, More Roster Questions - Big Blue View - June 24th, 2017
- Many roads, one truth for cyclists - San Francisco Chronicle - June 22nd, 2017
- 7 Lifesaving Habits To Keep Heart Disease Away - Information Nigeria - June 21st, 2017
- The ST Guide To... losing weight and getting fit - The Straits Times - June 17th, 2017
- Losing weight? Vegetarian diets help shed twice as many pounds - SHEmazing - June 14th, 2017
- UFC Gym Santa Clarita's Functional Fitness Program Offers A Unique Workout Method For Community - KHTS Radio - June 14th, 2017
- Daniel Cormier on new CSAC weight rules: 'I have to be careful' - MMA Fighting - June 10th, 2017
- Operation Transformation star Karl Henry teaming up with TV3's Sinead Desmond to bring 18 hillwalkers up four ... - Irish Mirror - June 8th, 2017