KARE 11 Staff , KARE 12:38 PM. CDT August 17, 2017
Content provided by HealthPartners
While it is important for people of all ages to pay attention to their bodies year-round, the stats show that men are not taking their health as seriously as women. But they should.
In fact, men are 24 percent less likely to visit the doctor for regular check-ups than women. Additionally, they are 22 percent more likely than women to neglect their cholesterol tests. Thats a key reason why men suffer heart attacks more frequently in their 50s than women.
Larry Richmond, MD, is a family medicine doctor withPark Nicollet Clinic in Plymouth. He has some practical, easy tips to help men stay healthy, and warns of potentially dangerous warnings that should be checked out.
Why are men less likely to make regular visits to the doctor?
Dr. Richmond: That is a great question. For some who are in good health, they may not think it is necessary. But the reality is that men of every decade need routine checkups. There are conditions that should potentially be checked.
Another reason could be the comfort factor. Maybe they arent comfortable with the idea of getting an exam or a blood draw. Or maybe they have the dread factor, thinking they are going to learn some bad news or get a lecture. That couldnt be further from the truth. We are not here to make people feel bad; we want to help you stay healthy.
What is the number one condition that men are most likely to ignore?
Dr. Richmond: Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of men. Unfortunately, it can affect men in their 40s and younger. The good news is that it can be prevented.
Cancer takes the No. 2 spot, and there are also important screening tests based on age and family history for this.
What are some of the warning signs for heart disease?
Dr. Richmond: People who smoke, dont exercise, have a family history of heart disease, have high blood pressure, or have unhealthy cholesterol or blood sugar levels are all at highest risk. I highly recommend having a physical exam to assess for these risks. Chest pain and difficulty breathing can be signs of current heart disease. I recommend being seen as soon as possible for any chest symptoms.
What types of things can men do to combat these symptoms?
Dr. Richmond: To start, weight management is key. Dont get caught up with shortcuts like energy drinks or weight loss supplements. These have no benefit, and can actually cause health issues like unhealthy heart rhythms. Instead, keep it basic: focus on portions, and stick with sustainable and very specific exercise goals.
The idea of eliminating your favorite foods long-term just isnt realistic. On top of that, Ive had many patients who get going on a commercial weight loss program, or jump into a temporary 60-day challenge program, lose the weight, but end up gaining it all back.
Lifestyle choices are the key to success. Everything in current medical literature suggests that being a non-smoker, active and maintaining a healthy body weight is the best way to minimize heart disease, diabetes, stroke, kidney disease, and even anxiety and depression.
Another condition men are often concerned with but are nervous to ask about is low testosterone. Is this something you can talk about during a regular check-up?
Dr. Richmond: Absolutely. However, the first thing you should know is that routine or baseline testing for low testosterone isnt necessary. Most men do not have low testosterone. There are medications that can help treat this, but there are risks associated with these treatments. Honestly, avoiding alcohol and maintaining a healthy body weight are two easy ways you can combat this.
Find a primary care doctor at:
HealthPartnersInternal MedicineorFamily Medicine
Park NicolletInternal MedicineorFamily Medicine
Stillwater Medical GroupInternal MedicineorFamily Medicine
HealthPartners Central Minnesota Clinic
Hudson Hospital & Clinic
Westfields Hospital & Clinic
Amery Hospital & Clinic
Go here to read the rest:
Real Men Wear Gowns: Why men aren't taking their health seriously - KARE
- Weight Loss and Testosterone | TRTMD Men's Health Clinic - June 23rd, 2019
- Testosterone For Women's Weight Loss - It's Not All About ... - June 21st, 2019
- The Keto Diet Plan and Weight Loss for Men Revive Low T ... - May 11th, 2019
- How to use Testosterone Cream for Women to Boost Weight Loss ... - April 15th, 2019
- Low Testosterone & Wellness Center | Allen, TX - April 9th, 2019
- Weight Loss Glen Allen VA - Rejuvenate MD | HRT - April 8th, 2019
- Testosterone Weight Loss Case Study: 20 # Lost with ... - March 6th, 2019
- How Increasing Testosterone Helps Weight Loss In Men Over 40 - November 23rd, 2018
- The Untold Testosterone Story for Women | Dr. Tami - May 31st, 2018
- Pregnenolone Weight Loss Regimen: The Master Hormone for ... - February 21st, 2018
- Fitness for Weight Loss Blog - February 8th, 2018
- Dr. Marlowe's Weight Loss Institute. 400 Clarice Ave ... - February 8th, 2018
- Testosterone and Weight Loss -How do they affect each other? - January 31st, 2018
- Synergenx Health, Testosterone & Weight Loss - Yelp - December 25th, 2017
- Testosterone and Rapid Weight Loss | Iron Man Magazine - December 6th, 2017
- Testosterone - Medical Center Weight Loss Clinic - San ... - October 6th, 2017
- Testosterone and Weight Loss - October 1st, 2017
- Weight and cancer risk - MyDaytonDailyNews - September 6th, 2017
- How to ensure your body gets the right balance of hormones - Economic Times - September 6th, 2017
- Day or night ... why anytime is the right time for getting a good workout - Belfast Telegraph - September 6th, 2017
- Chemotherapy drugs for colon cancer - Clenbuterol cycle for female weight loss - Magnetic Media (press release) - September 3rd, 2017
- Five ways to overcome testosterone decline - The Sport Review - September 3rd, 2017
- polycystic ovarian syndrome: A common cause of female infertility - NIGERIAN TRIBUNE (press release) (blog) - September 2nd, 2017
- How obesity can lead to erectile dysfunction - TheHealthSite - September 2nd, 2017
- A story of 'enduranz' - Business Mirror - August 31st, 2017
- Why you need to go off keto - Mumbai Mirror - August 28th, 2017
- Here Are The Answers To The Most Asked Question About Bodybuilding Steroids - MensXP.com - August 25th, 2017
- Obesity and its implications on sexual heath - The Navhind Times - August 25th, 2017
- How food can help, harm fertility - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - August 25th, 2017
- Male hair loss: Three ways to reduce YOUR risk of going bald - Express.co.uk - August 25th, 2017
- Bigelow Center presents free talk by Dr. Woznitzer - Fairfield Sun - August 24th, 2017
- SEXUAL HEALTH: It's no laughing matter - Daily Nation - August 18th, 2017
- Researchers Track an Unlikely Culprit in Weight Gain - New York Times - August 11th, 2017
- Top health benefits of green chillies - The Statesman - August 11th, 2017
- The Strength Of Strength Training - Outlook India - August 11th, 2017
- The best time of the day for your team to be productive - Human Resources Online - August 11th, 2017
- Man flu is real, but women get more autoimmune diseases and allergies - Medical Xpress - August 7th, 2017
- Albuterol sulfate overdose treatment - How fast does albuterol work for weight loss - Hayati Magazine (blog) - August 2nd, 2017
- Myth 1: Weightlifting Makes You Bulk Up - POPSUGAR Australia - August 2nd, 2017
- Fitness trends - Daily News & Analysis - August 2nd, 2017
- Trying to conceive? Think about your diet - Independent Online - August 2nd, 2017
- FINA Announces Three Doping Suspensions - SwimSwam - July 31st, 2017
- Can Testosterone Help You Lose Weight? | Men's Fitness - July 31st, 2017
- Trying to conceive? Think about what you're eating - Stuff.co.nz - July 31st, 2017
- AbbVie Ordered to Pay $150 Million Damages in 'Low-T' Trial - Bloomberg - July 31st, 2017
- What military recruiters aren't telling women: You'll face disproportionate health risks - Los Angeles Times - July 31st, 2017
- The Top 5 Myths About Weightlifting That Need to Be Busted - POPSUGAR - July 31st, 2017
- 7 Beets Benefits For Your Health, From Losing Weight To Better Sex - Medical Daily - July 31st, 2017
- What Men should Know About Testosterone and Weight Loss - July 10th, 2017
- 5 'No Brainer' Rules Of Starting A Weight Loss Journey For Beginners - MensXP.com - July 10th, 2017
- Why Can't I Get Rid Of My Belly Fat? Here Are 7 Reasons - Huffington Post Australia - July 10th, 2017
- Vitamin D Deficiency in Men - Reports Healthcare - July 8th, 2017
- Amazing Weight Loss & Wellness - Flower Mound, TX | (972 ... - July 8th, 2017
- Does when we eat matter - Independent.ie - July 8th, 2017