How easy is it for seniors to get around the North Shore safely and effortlessly?
Not so easy said seniors at a recent event Seniors on the Go sponsored by the City of North Vancouver Library and the City of North Vancouver Seniors Action Table.
Seniors spoke about lack of sidewalks, dangerous intersections, the speed and noise of vehicles, poor lighting, bikes and skateboards on sidewalks and limits to accessibility (expanded patio table areas, sandwich boards).
Seniors complained about dips in the curbs at crosswalks as a problem for people who are sight impaired and the slow clearing of snow off sidewalks.
They were concerned about lack of benches in some areas and when there were benches the lack of covers or shelters from the weather.
They also talked about poor transportation options and issues with bus availability and accessibility.
Yet physical activity is positively linked with physical and mental health, disease prevention and management, emotional and social well-being, and autonomy and independence (Health Canada, 2002).
Physical activity is linked with maintaining or losing weight, enhancing mobility, flexibility and balance, improving sleep and boosting mood and self-confidence.
In the 2017 report Raising the Profile of the Community-based Seniors Services Sector in B.C.: A Review of the Literature, authors Laura Kadowaki and Marcy Cohen say that multiple studies have connected physical activity with decreased healthcare utilization and costs.
For example, exercise programs have been found to reduce the risk of falls, which is the number one cause of injury-related hospitalizations for seniors in Canada, costing the health-care system two billion additional dollars a year.
According to Annwen Loverin, executive director of Silver Harbour Seniors Activity Centre and one of the speakers at the Seniors on the Go event, half of the seniors on the North Shore are less likely to go out if they dont have access to a car.
In order for seniors to be active it means that the outdoor environment has to be age and ability friendly. Seniors need to feel that they can get around safely, without too many distractions, and without hazards.
At the Seniors on the Go event Daniel Watson, transportation planner for the city spoke about creating a plan which will look at ways to make the City of North Vancouver more walkable.
He talked about creating pedestrian corridors, more sidewalks, and better intersection controls.
Natalie Corbo, city transportation demand management co-ordinator, talked about the Look Think Go campaign to educate people in using safe travel practices.
The campaign hopes to influence pedestrians, cyclists and drivers about courteous, safe and focused ways to be safe while on the go.
Two enthusiastic representatives from the RCMP spoke about how to be safe on the streets.
They talked about safety in numbers, dressing to be seen, making eye contact with drivers dont assume drivers see you, walking on well-lit streets, varying your route (bad guys check peoples routines), watching driveways to make sure no one is exiting and watching for obstacles on paths.
They also said make sure you have time to cross the street.
At crosswalks, cross only when the walk sign is visible - not taking a chance on making it when the countdown has started.
They advised seniors to take some extra responsibility.
As one officer said, You might be doing everything right but the other person might not.
If walking is a problem for seniors they can choose senior friendly transportation options which, as Loverin says, are available, acceptable, accessible, adaptable and affordable.
These include public transportation, options such as the Go Bus, West Vancouver Shuttle Bus, Capilano Seniors Hub Bus, and individualized rides, HandyDART, home care companies, taxis and car shares.
She suggests that seniors use public transit whenever possible as it is cheapest and easiest.
Loverin also suggests seniors make an effort to get to know and practise how to use public transportation before they are unable to drive.
The transportation services that Loverin spoke about can be found in the Seniors Directory at issuu.com/nsnfeatures/docs/seniors_directory_2017.
Physical activity is important for seniors on the North Shore so get out and move. Youll be happier and healthier if you do.
Margaret Coates is the co-ordinator of Lionsview Seniors Planning Society. She has lived on the North Shore for 47 years and has worked for and with seniors for 20 of those years. email@example.com
Read the original here:
OLDER AND WISER: It's important to get up and move around - North Shore News
- How Much Weight Is Safe to Lose in a Month? | Weight Loss ... - September 14th, 2019
- Losing Weight After 60 Is Hard Here Are 9 Ways to Drop ... - July 22nd, 2019
- How to Lose 10 Pounds Without Starving (Or Putting It ... - July 21st, 2019
- Weight loss: 6 strategies for success - Mayo Clinic - July 9th, 2019
- 5 Ways Saxenda Helps with Weight Loss & How to use it Safely - May 19th, 2019
- Top 10 Weight Loss Programs 2019 - Reviews, Costs & Features - May 16th, 2019
- Weight Management | Weight Loss | Henry Ford Health System ... - May 16th, 2019
- 13 Easy Ways to Lose Water Weight (Fast and Safely) - April 25th, 2019
- Losing weight guide | healthdirect - April 5th, 2019
- How to lose weight safely - Food and nutrition | NHS inform - March 15th, 2019
- Alcohol and Losing Weight | Is Alcohol Bad for Weight Loss? - March 13th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Safely and Healthily Losing Weight Fast - March 12th, 2019
- Rapid Weight Loss: Is It Safe? Does It Work? - webmd.com - February 23rd, 2019
- Losing weight safely? | Yahoo Answers - February 22nd, 2019
- Autorotation - Wikipedia - February 9th, 2019
- Top 5 Natural Appetite Suppressants to Help Lose Weight ... - January 31st, 2019
- Ayurvedic Home Remedies For Weight Loss - Pitta Ayurveda - January 31st, 2019
- Start the NHS weight loss plan - NHS - January 14th, 2019
- Pointers on Losing Weight Safely - December 15th, 2018
- How to Safely Lose Weight During Pregnancy - healthline.com - December 6th, 2018
- How Can I Lose Weight Safely? - kidshealth.org - November 22nd, 2018
- PCOS Diet: Stop Counting Calories and Start Losing Weight ... - June 29th, 2018
- Lose weight - Live Well - NHS Choices - May 21st, 2018
- Underactive Pituitary Gland (Hypopituitarism) - Healthline - March 5th, 2018
- The Pituitary Society | Glossary of Terms Related to ... - March 5th, 2018
- Hypopituitary: Pituitary Gland Disorder Causes & Treatments - March 5th, 2018
- List At Least 5 Tips And Guidelines For Losing Weight Safely - February 28th, 2018
- Weight Loss Help in Little Rock AR Lose A Pound A Day Safely - January 29th, 2018
- How to lose weight fast, but safely - Healthy tips for ... - December 7th, 2017
- 5 Ways to Lose Weight Safely - wikiHow - October 15th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight Fast and Safely - webmd.com - October 13th, 2017
- Hurricane Irma could follow in Hugo's deadly and destructive footsteps - Winston-Salem Journal - September 6th, 2017
- Lasix potassium sparing diuretic - Relex lasik thailand - Does lasix cause diabetes - GrungeCake (press release) (blog) - September 5th, 2017
- Nikkei falls to 1-week lows as North Korea tensions persist - Reuters - September 5th, 2017
- Millennials Down on Opioids - National Pain Report - September 4th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight While Breastfeeding Without Losing Your ... - September 4th, 2017
- How to Safely Use Weight Loss Shakes - wikiHow - August 25th, 2017
- Ask a Geriatrician: How can I prevent falls? - The Daily Progress - August 25th, 2017
- How Can I Lose Weight Safely? - August 19th, 2017
- Body & Mind Medical Weight Loss Center's Jump Start to Health Program Delivers Visible Results With 10-Day ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 8th, 2017
- This is the diet Guy Sebastian did to look ripped on the cover of Men's Health - NEWS.com.au - August 8th, 2017
- The Keto diet: Is eating more fat the key to weight loss? - Arizona State University - August 8th, 2017
- 'More pressure on new mums to lose weight' Amy Childs slammed ... - goodtoknow - August 4th, 2017
- Family beach vacation spawns a marital battle - The Seattle Times - August 4th, 2017
- Losing weight safely - Business Mirror - August 3rd, 2017
- FAT BUSTER: He did this when he hit 100 kilos! - Times of India - July 31st, 2017
- Kris Harris: Unleash you're fitness animal - Longmont Times-Call - July 31st, 2017
- Trichomoniasis zithromax treatment - Medicine infographic - Van Wert independent - July 11th, 2017
- Propecia hair products - Propecia safe or not - Van Wert independent - July 9th, 2017
- Green Park Care Home placed in special measures by the Care Quality Commission after residents found to be at risk ... - Warrington Guardian - July 9th, 2017
- Samoa Joe Can't Be Stopped - Deadspin - July 9th, 2017
- 3rd time's the charm for SpaceX comsat launch - WSAW - July 8th, 2017
- 5 important hydration tips to stay safe in the heat - WRAL.com - July 5th, 2017
- SpaceX finally launches Falcon 9 rocket - WDEF News 12 - July 5th, 2017
- Diet Doc Examines the Drawbacks of the 'Coffee Diet' - GlobeNewswire (press release) - July 5th, 2017
- What is anorexia nervosa? Signs, symptoms and treatment options for the common disorder - The Sun - July 4th, 2017
- The one preventable health problem that's most likely to kill you - MarketWatch - June 30th, 2017
- Medically Managed Weight Loss: A Nonsurgical Approach to a Healthier Weight - Newswise (press release) - June 30th, 2017
- Chaotic Messaging: When Eating Disorders Enter the Media - Jewish Link of New Jersey - June 30th, 2017
- Four-star recruits haven't changed Pete - KTVB - June 29th, 2017
- The Best Way to Lose Weight Safely - livescience.com - June 28th, 2017
- How to Lose Water Weight - WomansDay.com (blog) - June 28th, 2017
- Netflix's 'To the Bone' Could Be Harmful to Those With Anorexia - SELF - June 28th, 2017
- I Tried A Diet And Fitness Plan Based On My DNA And Couldn't Believe The Results - BuzzFeed News - June 28th, 2017
- How to lose those last 5 pounds - Today.com - June 28th, 2017
- Shonda Rhimes Hated the Newfound Attention She Got After Losing Weight - SELF - June 28th, 2017
- Sharing decision to have weight loss surgery is purely personal choice - Billings Gazette - June 28th, 2017
- Could the hCG Diet Be 'Life Threatening'? - Yahoo Health - June 28th, 2017
- Holly Willoughby looks awkward as giggling Loose Woman Nadia Sawalha comments on her weight loss - The Sun - June 28th, 2017
- Diet Doc Weight Loss Program Offers Greater Customized Results Than The 'Blood Type Diet' - GlobeNewswire (press release) - June 27th, 2017
- Protein gels to stop deadly effects of muscle wasting due to cancer - Independent.ie - June 27th, 2017
- Don't 'Eat for Two' While Pregnant - Healthline - June 25th, 2017
- Levitra soft tabs 20mg - Queens Tribune - June 25th, 2017
- Big Blue View Mailbag: Dwayne Harris, Donte Deayon, More Roster Questions - Big Blue View - June 24th, 2017
- Many roads, one truth for cyclists - San Francisco Chronicle - June 22nd, 2017
- 7 Lifesaving Habits To Keep Heart Disease Away - Information Nigeria - June 21st, 2017
- The ST Guide To... losing weight and getting fit - The Straits Times - June 17th, 2017
- Losing weight? Vegetarian diets help shed twice as many pounds - SHEmazing - June 14th, 2017
- UFC Gym Santa Clarita's Functional Fitness Program Offers A Unique Workout Method For Community - KHTS Radio - June 14th, 2017
- Daniel Cormier on new CSAC weight rules: 'I have to be careful' - MMA Fighting - June 10th, 2017