Dr Kedar Padte
The fastest multiplying cells in the body are perhaps the cells that result in the formation of spermatozoa from the germinal cells in the testes. They are therefore the fastest to get affected when health is compromised. Similarly the female reproductive organs are also dysfunctional with ill health.
A common cause of ill health today is obesity. You dont want to believe it? Well, lets start by calculating your BMI.
BMI or Body mass index is calculated by simple formula ie
l BMI = Weight in kilograms
l Height in meter square
l Eg: A weight of 60 kg and height of 1.7 metres
l BMI = =
l BMI = 20.7, which is excellent
l BMI Chart for Adults
If ones weight is 80 kg and height 150 cm, then BMI=35.55. This BMI falls in the obese category.
The reproductive function is controlled by the hippocampus in the brain and initially by the pineal gland. These in turn send tropic hormones to the pituitary gland that release GnRH (gonatropin releasing hormone) from hypothalamus which releases Follicular Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and Luteinisms Hormone from the anterior pituitary gland.
FSH and LH act on ovaries and testes in females and males, respectively, and release sex steroids oestrogen and progesterone (in females) and testosterone (in males). These sex steroids are derived from cholesterol and cholesterol alone.
Being lipid, cholesterol can be exchanged by fat globules and the more obese the person, the more haywire the sexual function.
Also the fat (lipid) in the peripheral tissues can produce oestrone (a metabolite of oestrogen which can disturb the reproductive cycle in females and males. When oestrone (female hormone) is produced in excess in a male, a teenage boy can start developing breast tissue, a condition called gynaecomastia.
Gynaecomastia may require anti-oestrogen treatment in young boys or even adult males with drugs like letrozole, etc, or even surgical correction. The sexual drive (libido) of such boys is reduced to a minimum, and sperm count can go down (oligo-astheno teratozoospermia) or even become zero (azoospermia).
In young girls this excess adipose tissue has similar effects with excess oestrone resulting in shutting down of pituitary gland and anovulation. The intermediate condition of polycystic ovarian syndrome or syndrome X was discussed by us in this very column, and can cause hirsutism, acne, diabetes and hypertension.
Obesity in both sexes has serious sexual dysfunction due to:
l Social rejection
l Reduced self esteem
l Alteration in looks and figure
l Anovulation (girls)
l Reduced sperm count in boy
Complete reduction in libido or sex drive in both sexes.
To lose or not lose excess weight is a mind game that can be supported by medical treatment and accurate diagnosis.
Causes of obesity:
Diet: Improper eating habits, such as consuming deep fried foods, chips, burgers, cheese, butter ghee and oil are the main causes. Even large quantities of healthy food will cause obesity. The prime culprits are chocolates, ice cream, pastries, pizzas and soft drinks (gassy or not) besides samosas, batatawada or pattys. Alcohol and similar beverages also top the list. Inactivity is one of the most common cause of obesity.
Genetic: It important for parents not to blame the child for obesity unless they have ruled out conditions such as hypothyroidism, Prader-Willi syndrome, Cushings syndrome or the use of medication such as steroids (for asthma or arthritis and anti depressants as well).
Many quick weight loss programmes or diet meals are available in the market and online. Most have diets with dangerous preservatives (though the advertisement says no added preservatives) and chemicals that may reduce fat and also your health.
Dedicated dietician-trainer, parental guidance and creating will power to lose weight will help develop a good figure, self esteem, healthy lifestyle, social acceptance, stamina and a happy soul. Sound sleep, healthy breakfast, average lunch and minimal dinner will help.
Breakfast like a king, lunch like a commoner and dinner like a pauper is an old saying we must live by.
(Columnist is a well-known gynaecologist practising in Panaji. Send in your queries to email@example.com)
Read more from the original source:
Obesity and its implications on sexual heath – The Navhind Times
- The Untold Testosterone Story for Women | Dr. Tami - May 31st, 2018
- Pregnenolone Weight Loss Regimen: The Master Hormone for ... - February 21st, 2018
- Fitness for Weight Loss Blog - February 8th, 2018
- Dr. Marlowe's Weight Loss Institute. 400 Clarice Ave ... - February 8th, 2018
- Testosterone and Weight Loss -How do they affect each other? - January 31st, 2018
- Synergenx Health, Testosterone & Weight Loss - Yelp - December 25th, 2017
- Testosterone and Rapid Weight Loss | Iron Man Magazine - December 6th, 2017
- Testosterone - Medical Center Weight Loss Clinic - San ... - October 6th, 2017
- Testosterone and Weight Loss - October 1st, 2017
- Weight and cancer risk - MyDaytonDailyNews - September 6th, 2017
- How to ensure your body gets the right balance of hormones - Economic Times - September 6th, 2017
- Day or night ... why anytime is the right time for getting a good workout - Belfast Telegraph - September 6th, 2017
- Chemotherapy drugs for colon cancer - Clenbuterol cycle for female weight loss - Magnetic Media (press release) - September 3rd, 2017
- Five ways to overcome testosterone decline - The Sport Review - September 3rd, 2017
- polycystic ovarian syndrome: A common cause of female infertility - NIGERIAN TRIBUNE (press release) (blog) - September 2nd, 2017
- How obesity can lead to erectile dysfunction - TheHealthSite - September 2nd, 2017
- A story of 'enduranz' - Business Mirror - August 31st, 2017
- Why you need to go off keto - Mumbai Mirror - August 28th, 2017
- Here Are The Answers To The Most Asked Question About Bodybuilding Steroids - MensXP.com - August 25th, 2017
- How food can help, harm fertility - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - August 25th, 2017
- Male hair loss: Three ways to reduce YOUR risk of going bald - Express.co.uk - August 25th, 2017
- Bigelow Center presents free talk by Dr. Woznitzer - Fairfield Sun - August 24th, 2017
- Real Men Wear Gowns: Why men aren't taking their health seriously - KARE - August 18th, 2017
- SEXUAL HEALTH: It's no laughing matter - Daily Nation - August 18th, 2017
- Researchers Track an Unlikely Culprit in Weight Gain - New York Times - August 11th, 2017
- Top health benefits of green chillies - The Statesman - August 11th, 2017
- The Strength Of Strength Training - Outlook India - August 11th, 2017
- The best time of the day for your team to be productive - Human Resources Online - August 11th, 2017
- Man flu is real, but women get more autoimmune diseases and allergies - Medical Xpress - August 7th, 2017
- Albuterol sulfate overdose treatment - How fast does albuterol work for weight loss - Hayati Magazine (blog) - August 2nd, 2017
- Myth 1: Weightlifting Makes You Bulk Up - POPSUGAR Australia - August 2nd, 2017
- Fitness trends - Daily News & Analysis - August 2nd, 2017
- Trying to conceive? Think about your diet - Independent Online - August 2nd, 2017
- FINA Announces Three Doping Suspensions - SwimSwam - July 31st, 2017
- Can Testosterone Help You Lose Weight? | Men's Fitness - July 31st, 2017
- Trying to conceive? Think about what you're eating - Stuff.co.nz - July 31st, 2017
- AbbVie Ordered to Pay $150 Million Damages in 'Low-T' Trial - Bloomberg - July 31st, 2017
- What military recruiters aren't telling women: You'll face disproportionate health risks - Los Angeles Times - July 31st, 2017
- The Top 5 Myths About Weightlifting That Need to Be Busted - POPSUGAR - July 31st, 2017
- 7 Beets Benefits For Your Health, From Losing Weight To Better Sex - Medical Daily - July 31st, 2017
- What Men should Know About Testosterone and Weight Loss - July 10th, 2017
- 5 'No Brainer' Rules Of Starting A Weight Loss Journey For Beginners - MensXP.com - July 10th, 2017
- Why Can't I Get Rid Of My Belly Fat? Here Are 7 Reasons - Huffington Post Australia - July 10th, 2017
- Vitamin D Deficiency in Men - Reports Healthcare - July 8th, 2017
- Amazing Weight Loss & Wellness - Flower Mound, TX | (972 ... - July 8th, 2017
- Does when we eat matter - Independent.ie - July 8th, 2017