Nurse clinics can focus care on a particular area of practice, as per the nurses specialised knowledge and experience, such as weight management (ACN 2015).
Nurse-led healthy weight programs have been delivered in various settings. For example, in North Carolina, there was a healthy weight program delivered by nurses (with teacher assistance) to adolescents in school (Dupart et al. 2017).
Similarly, nurse-led weight management programs have been delivered to Midwestern suburban primary-school-aged children (Kubik & Lee 2013).
Yaeger et al. (2018) focused on a nurse-led risk factor modification program in achieving weight loss in obese adults with atrial fibrillation patients. This intervention (Yeager et al. 2018) focused on lifestyle modifications, goal-setting and regular phone calls to successfully assist people who are obese with AF to lose weight.
Yardley et al. (2014) convey that weight management programs can also be web-based, with support from practice nurses in the primary healthcare context.
Dupart et al. (2017) outline a school-based healthy weight intervention for adolescents that focused on education regarding nutrition and exercise. The intervention involved twice-weekly meetings for seven weeks, with meetings lasting 45 to 60 minutes each.
Kubik and Lee (2013) found in their study of young, suburban school children, that the people who showed more interest in the weight management program were:
Health professionals caring for clients who are obese (a body mass index of 30kg/m2 or more (Yaeger et al. 2018)) with and suffering from atrial fibrillation (AF) may potentially be interested in weight management programs led by nurses or specialist medical officers. As Yaeger et al. (2018) suggest, weight loss reportedly improves arrythmia outcomes for obese patients with AF.
Nurses, or specifically mental health nurses, may be in an optimal position to deliver weight management programs to people with mental health conditions (Nugent & Duckworth, 2016).
Nugent and Duckworth (2016) explain that people with mental illness could also be interested in weight management programs as they may have an increased risk of overweight-related non-communicable diseases. Hence, carers and health professionals treating people with mental health conditions may be interested in establishing nurse-led weight management programs.
Yaeger et al. (2018) state that a regular practical approach to weight management generally involves:
Petit Francis et al. (2017) revealed in their systematic review that the more successful nurse-led weight management interventions also involved:
Dupart et al. (2017) highlighted data collection points in their study at the baseline, post-intervention (at completion), and post-intervention (3 months later).
Yaeger et al. (2018) gathered data via biweekly phone calls for the first two months of the intervention, and then monthly phone calls for 12 months.
The data collected was for the purpose of assessing weight loss and goal-setting-adherence (Yaeger et al. 2018).
The systematic review by Petit Francis et al. (2017) showed that some studies complete follow-up for up to two years post-intervention.
Petit Francis et al. (2017) found in the systematic review of randomised trials that nurse-delivered weight management interventions successfully led to weight loss or BMI reduction in 65% of studies.
Dupart et al. (2017) found that the 7-week school-based weight management intervention was cost-effective and positively received by stakeholders. However, Yaeger et al. (2018) describe that some weight management strategies can use many resources and not be very realistic.
Yardley et al. (2014) found that web-based weight management interventions with practice-nurse support for clients can be practical solutions for primary healthcare settings. It is not believed that automated web-based weight management programs can be effective without human support, such as that of nurses (Yardley et al. 2014).
Aboueid et al. (2018) state that primary healthcare management of obesity can be limited if there is not enough access to allied health teams, time and other resources. It appeared that clients preferred weight management activities that involved referrals to health professionals and health education resources (Aboueid et al., 2018).
Read the original here:
Nurse-Led Weight Management Programs - ausmed.com
- Weight Management At The University Of Kansas Health System - July 12th, 2019
- New Jersey Weight Loss Surgery | RWJBarnabas Health - June 2nd, 2019
- Weight Loss Programs | Nebraska Weight Management Institute - May 21st, 2019
- Weight Management - Terrebonne General Medical Center - May 20th, 2019
- Weight Management - UChicago Medicine - May 19th, 2019
- Jersey Medical Weight Loss Center: Weight Loss Physicians ... - May 17th, 2019
- Carolina Weight Loss Institute - April 30th, 2019
- Advanced Medical Weight Loss & Wellness Center in Las ... - April 10th, 2019
- Weight Management - Fort HealthCare - April 10th, 2019
- Achieve Your Goals with This Weight Management Checklist ... - April 6th, 2019
- Essay on The Importance of Weight Management - 594 Words - March 21st, 2019
- Weight Management - Regional Health Orthopedic & Specialty ... - March 8th, 2019
- Weight Management - MedicineNet - February 9th, 2019
- CORE Weight Management - Wellness Pet Food - January 29th, 2019
- Parkinson's Foundation: Better Lives. Together. - January 23rd, 2019
- Weight Management | Summit Medical Group - January 23rd, 2019
- Weight Management Services - umms.org - January 23rd, 2019
- Weight Management Program - The LIFT - January 23rd, 2019
- Weight Management - Health & Nutrition - Youngevity - January 23rd, 2019
- North Carolina Weight & Wellness: Obesity Medicine ... - January 14th, 2019
- Weight Management Center | Wake Forest Baptist Health - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management | University of Maryland Medical Center - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management Program | NYU Langone Health - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management | Office of Work-Life at Columbia University - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Loss Centers in Washington - Yelp - December 23rd, 2018
- Delta Medical Weight Management Center - dmwmc.com - October 30th, 2018
- Weight Management for Your Life: Ten Steps to Prepare You ... - September 29th, 2018
- Weight Loss Management Center at UWMC - Roosevelt | UW ... - September 28th, 2018
- Weight Loss | Washington University Physicians - September 28th, 2018
- Weight Management Resources - Verywell Fit - September 28th, 2018
- Plainfield NJ Family Physician Doctors - Weight Management ... - August 30th, 2018
- Weight Loss Specialist | Weight Loss Coach | ACE - August 20th, 2018
- SmartFitWeightLoss.com - August 5th, 2018
- Weight Management Olympia Compounding Pharmacy - April 6th, 2018
- Medical Weight Loss Clinic | Medical Weight Management ... - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management | Reading Hospital - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management Louisville, Kentucky (KY), Norton Healthcare - March 13th, 2018
- Center for Weight & Wellness - Lifespan - March 13th, 2018
- MUSC Health Weight Management Center | Charleston SC - February 27th, 2018
- Weight Management - County of Sonoma, California - February 5th, 2018
- Weight Management - dTERRA Product Line | dTERRA ... - February 5th, 2018
- Weight Management Program - NYP.org - January 3rd, 2018
- Weight Management Resources - Verywell - December 28th, 2017
- Weight Management-Topic Overview - WebMD - December 1st, 2017
- The Institute for Weight Management - Hackensack, NJ - November 10th, 2017
- How Avocado Can Help with Weight Management - October 13th, 2017
- Weight Management | Compounding Pharmacy - Absolute Pharmacy - September 20th, 2017
- Can ventolin inhaler cause weight loss - Ventolin expectorant capsule price philippines - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Veterans' lives, health honored at wellness event in Butler - New Castle News - August 27th, 2017
- Healthy eating the best way to lose weight - Tahlequah Daily Press - August 27th, 2017
- Weight-loss firm makes apparent Stamford exit - The Advocate - August 27th, 2017
- The Role of Body Composition in Weight Management - Natural Products INSIDER - August 24th, 2017
- Get fit: The 5 best exercises for fat loss - Daily Commercial - August 24th, 2017
- Reimagining the Weight Loss Category - Natural Products INSIDER - August 24th, 2017
- These Are The Best Foods For Weight Loss - Huffington Post Australia - August 24th, 2017
- 5 local resources to help control diabetes - Twin Falls Times-News - August 20th, 2017
- Weight not a factor as energy dense foods appear to up cancer risk - FoodNavigator.com - August 18th, 2017
- Infrared Sauna Benefits Include Pain Management, Weight Loss - Metro US - August 18th, 2017
- The best exercise for weight loss, according to science - NEWS.com.au - August 13th, 2017
- Family Health News Has Positive Experience at Weight ... - Benzinga - Benzinga - August 11th, 2017
- Lifestyle-modification programs for weight management in Arab states lack in effectiveness - Medical Xpress - August 10th, 2017
- Exercise as a Weight-Loss Strategy - New York Times - August 9th, 2017
- Research Behind Top Weight Management Ingredients - Natural Products INSIDER - August 9th, 2017
- Lifestyle-modification programs for weight management in Arab states lack in effectiveness - Gears Of Biz - August 9th, 2017
- Diet Soda Linked to Weight Gain, Not Weight Loss - Olive Oil Times - Olive Oil Times - August 9th, 2017
- The 15-Minute Cardio Workout Perfect for Beginners Trying to Lose Weight - Shape Magazine - August 9th, 2017
- Weight Management Supplements | eBay - August 7th, 2017
- An easy, healthy way to control your weight - Thegardenisland.com - August 7th, 2017
- Newly Published Study Shows Supplementation Of Capsicum Extract Helps Increase Metabolic Rate - Markets Insider - August 7th, 2017
- Elicina Participates in Successful Weight Management, Sports ... - Benzinga - August 3rd, 2017
- Ask a Specialist: How Weight Loss Surgery Can Treat Type 2 Diabetes - KHON2 - August 3rd, 2017
- Diet Doc Offers Customized Weight Loss Solutions Amid Mediterranean Diet Doubts - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 3rd, 2017
- UFC willing to add new ABC weight classes 'when the time is right' - MMAmania.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Asthma inhaler weight loss - Ipratropium bromide and albuterol sulfate side effects - Van Wert independent - July 11th, 2017
- Weight Management Clinic Scarborough - Weight Management ... - July 7th, 2017
- Conversation Cards a Useful Tool in Pediatric Weight Management - Newswise (press release) - July 7th, 2017
- 7 ways to follow a low-carb diet the right way - Today.com - July 7th, 2017
- Apple Cider Vinegar Weight Loss - ACV Weight Loss - Woman's Day - WomansDay.com (blog) - July 6th, 2017
- Nolvadex for steroid users - Diabex side effects weight loss - Longboat Key News - July 6th, 2017
- VIVUS Settles with Teva on Weight Management Drug Generic - Zacks.com - July 6th, 2017