Many women do not need treatment for their menopause symptoms. You may find that your symptoms go away by themselves. Or you may not find the symptoms uncomfortable. If you are bothered by your symptoms, talk to your doctor or nurse about ways to relieve them. You can work together to find a treatment that is right for you. Some women find that changing their eating habits and getting more physical activity can help. Others may need medicine to help relieve their symptoms.
If your menopause symptoms bother you, talk to your doctor or nurse. Your doctor or nurse can suggest medicines to help with your symptoms. All medicines have risks, and your doctor can help you figure out which medicines are best for you.
Menopausal hormone therapy is prescription medicine to help relieve your menopause symptoms, such as hot flashes and vaginal dryness, if they are severe enough to disrupt your daily life. Menopausal hormone therapy is sometimes called hormone therapy or hormone replacement therapy.
During menopause, your ovaries make very low levels of the hormones estrogen and progesterone. Menopausal hormone therapy replaces some of the hormones no longer made by your ovaries with artificial estrogen and progesterone.
Topical (TOP-ih-kuhl) hormone therapy is usually a low-dose estrogen cream applied directly to the vagina. It relieves vaginal dryness but does not help with other symptoms, such as hot flashes. It also is available as a vaginal ring, insert, and gel. The risks of topical hormone therapy are different from the risks of menopausal or hormone replacement therapy.
Menopausal hormone therapy, sometimes called hormone replacement therapy, is safe for some women, but it also has risks. That is why the FDA advises women who want to try menopausal hormone therapy to use the lowest dose that works for the shortest time needed.
Research shows that:1
Menopausal hormone therapy may not be safe for some women. You should discuss your risks with your doctor if you have:2
The FDA recommends that women take estrogen-only or estrogen plus progesterone menopausal hormone therapy at the lowest dose that works for the shortest time needed.
Talk to your doctor to weigh the risk and benefits of menopausal hormone therapy based on your symptoms, age, and risk factors.
Companies that make bioidentical hormone therapy use the term bioidentical to suggest that their products are exactly the same as natural hormones. Many of these companies also claim that their products are safer than menopausal hormone therapy. However, the FDA does not recognize this term or regulate these products. No studies have been done to evaluate how safe or effective these products are.
Read moreabout bioidentical hormone therapy. Talk to your doctor or nurse before trying any bioidentical hormone therapy.
Some women report relief for hot flashes and other menopause symptoms with complementary or alternative therapies. Talk to your doctor or nurse before taking any herbal or vitamin supplement. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not regulate supplements in the same way they regulate medicines. Many supplements can interfere with medicines and make them work incorrectly or not at all.
Some research studies show relief from premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms with these herbal supplements, but other studies do not. Many herbal supplements should not be used with other medicines. Some herbal supplements women use for menopause symptoms are:3
Research continues on these and other alternative ways of relieving menopause. Talk to your doctor or nurse before trying natural remedies.
This content is provided by the Office on Women’s Health.
Menopause treatment | womenshealth.gov
- Hormone Health | Benefits of Hormone Replacement Therapy ... - October 2nd, 2018
- Hormone Replacement - Absolute Pharmacy - October 1st, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy :Yes or No?: How to Make an ... - October 1st, 2018
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy | Natural Bio Health - October 1st, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy for Women | Natural Bio Health - October 1st, 2018
- Hormonal Therapy for Treating Breast Cancer | Breastcancer.org - October 1st, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy - San Antonio, TX - Infertility ... - October 1st, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy in Norman, Oklahoma | BHC - October 1st, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Greensboro - Coley Cosmetic - October 1st, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy - Baton Rouge, Lafayette - October 1st, 2018
- Hormone Therapy Clinic San Antonio | HRT for Women & Men - October 1st, 2018
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy | Your Wellness Center - August 25th, 2018
- Human Growth Hormone Replacement & HGH Injections - August 25th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) | International ... - August 25th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy | Hormonal Imbalance Treatment - April 28th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Doctors in New York - HRT ... - April 20th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy - Ideal Physician Weight Loss - March 29th, 2018
- Hormone replacement therapy - NHS Direct Wales - March 23rd, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy | HRT | Menopause | MedlinePlus - March 4th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy - Hormone Doctor | Elite HRT - January 10th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Cincinnati, OH | Blue Ash HRT - December 7th, 2017
- Hormone Replacement Therapy - Your Wellness Center - December 7th, 2017
- HRT: Hormone replacement therapy Q&A - WebMD Boots - December 3rd, 2017
- Hormone Replacement Therapy and Natural Alternatives Dr ... - November 2nd, 2017
- hormone replacement therapy - North American Menopause ... - November 2nd, 2017
- Hormone Replacement Therapy for Menopause - webmd.com - October 13th, 2017
- Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men: What to Know - September 27th, 2017
- Vaginal estrogen not tied to cancer or heart disease risks - Reuters - September 7th, 2017
- Making your way through Menopause - WOWT - September 7th, 2017
- Menopause updates - ModernMedicine - September 6th, 2017
- Edina clinic ranked in top 10 in state - The Sun Current - September 6th, 2017
- 10 questions every woman should ask about menopause - New York Daily News - September 4th, 2017
- Does Post-Menopausal Hormone Replacement Heighten Sexual Function? - MedPage Today - September 4th, 2017
- 'Trans identities are identities, and not a condition,' says advocacy ... - CBC.ca - September 4th, 2017
- Hormone pellets offer menopause symptom relief - WZVN-TV - September 4th, 2017
- Novo Nordisk A/S (NYSE:NVO) Closed 7.1% Above Its 50 Day Moving Average - Modern Readers - September 4th, 2017
- 10 Transgender People Share What They Wish They Knew Before Transitioning - SELF - August 29th, 2017
- Queer Student Union revamps for fall semester - College Heights Herald - August 29th, 2017
- Transgender bathroom battle could be headed back to Supreme Court - Washington Examiner - August 29th, 2017
- Wales' first transgender healthcare clinic set for Cardiff - BBC News - August 26th, 2017
- A tale of transition - QNotes - August 26th, 2017
- Transgender YouTubers had their videos grabbed to train facial recognition software - The Verge - August 23rd, 2017
- How I regenerated along with 'Doctor Who' - Syfy - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 23rd, 2017
- Being on the brink of puberty is scary and expensive for this transgender kid and her family - KRCU - August 23rd, 2017
- HRT skin patch 'has less stroke risk' than pills, study - Gears Of Biz - August 21st, 2017
- Being on the brink of puberty is scary and expensive for this transgender kid and her family - KBIA - August 21st, 2017
- Md. Medicaid should cover trans-specific care - Baltimore Sun - August 13th, 2017
- What's the Cultural Impact of Transgender Characters on TV? - Newsweek - August 13th, 2017
- Transitioning: Controversy, corrections and new-found peace, Misty Lane is finally finding happiness with herself - Douglas Budget - August 13th, 2017
- Niwot author pioneers interventions for Autoimmune Disease - Left Hand Valley Courier - August 13th, 2017
- Why Some Are Saying Marijuana May Increase Stroke And Heart Failure - The Fresh Toast - August 11th, 2017
- Top five misconceptions about menopause - Starts at 60 - August 11th, 2017
- Women more at risk of stroke. - Story | WeAreCentralPA | WTAJ - WTAJ - August 11th, 2017
- Jillian Bearden Starts the Colorado Classic as the First US Transgender Woman in a Pro Tour - Bicycling - August 10th, 2017
- Stroke Rates Drop for US Men, But Not Women - Sioux City Journal - August 10th, 2017
- I was an intersex child who had surgery. Don't put other kids through this. - kgw.com - August 9th, 2017
- Transgender candidate faces off against longtime conservative - W*USA 9 - August 9th, 2017
- Parents and Doctors, Hold Off on This 'Devastating' Surgery - Newser - August 9th, 2017
- Perimenopause Problems: How Changing Hormones Exacerbate ADHD Symptoms - ADDitude - August 9th, 2017
- RI requires coverage for 'fertility preservation' by private insurers - The Providence Journal - August 4th, 2017
- Transgender man gives birth to baby boy - New Haven Register - August 4th, 2017
- Trump's military ban isn't just attacking trans service members it's attacking healthcare for all transgender people - HelloGiggles - August 2nd, 2017
- She's one of the Army's first transitioned transgender soldiers and ... - NavyTimes.com - August 2nd, 2017
- Anti-aging and aesthetics industry facts may surprise you - Los Angeles Post-Examiner - August 1st, 2017
- What The Heck Is Vaginal Laser Therapy, And Should You Try It? - Prevention.com - July 31st, 2017
- Estroven Sleep Cool for menopause is the answer to my prayers - ChicagoNow (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Industry Players to Show High Growth Rate by 2024 - Monotone Critic - July 31st, 2017
- Health Scan: Diabetics who fast must get medical advice - The Jerusalem Post - July 31st, 2017
- Former Inmate Empowers Transgender Women in Colombian Prisons - NBCNews.com - July 10th, 2017
- Chemotherapy could trigger spread of cancer, research suggests - Blasting News - July 8th, 2017
- Caster Semenya could be forced to undertake hormone therapy for future Olympics - The Guardian - July 8th, 2017
- Norman area doctors: Women often ignore signs of heart attack - Norman Transcript - June 30th, 2017
- Thyroid Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Overview, Industry ... - MilTech - June 30th, 2017
- Should I Seek Hormone Replacement Therapy? Here's The Answer! - AXcess News - June 29th, 2017
- Thyroid Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Overview, Industry Top Manufactures, Market Size, Industry Growth ... - satPRnews (press release) - June 29th, 2017
- Is Fat But Fit A Big Fat Myth? - HuffPost - June 28th, 2017
- Mac Engel: It's time for baseball to allow the use of PEDs - Winona Daily News - June 28th, 2017
- Hair dyes may be linked to increased breast cancer risk, study shows - WSPA.com - June 27th, 2017
- Osteoarthritis is more common among women than men. Blame it on gender differences - Hindustan Times - June 27th, 2017
- Nutrients for Women's Health - Natural Products INSIDER - June 24th, 2017