Portioning your weekly meals into plastic or even BPA-free containers packs some major risks. Among them is weight gain.
If your Sunday nights are dedicated to meal prepping for the week ahead, youre part of a mighty group of health nuts.
The planning ahead of meals is a main tip of weight loss coaches, food bloggers and nutritionists.
Indeed, meal preppings popularity has exploded on social media. On Instagram alone there are 5.5 million photos tagged #mealprep and 1.1 million tagged #foodprep.
While perfectly portioned-out food for seven days does make for the perfect #foodporn snapshot, meal preppers are onto an idea that at least in concept is good for your diet, according to research.
People who spend more time preparing meals are more likely to have healthier diets, according to a 2014 study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.
They eat more fresh fruits and vegetables.
They also eat at fast food restaurants only half as often as people who only spend less than an hour each day prepping and cooking their meals.
In addition, they spend less money on food.
More recently, a 2017 study of 40,000 adults in France found that people who meal prepped at least a few days at a time were less likely to be overweight and stuck more closely to nutritional guidelines.
The survey also found that meal prepping led to more food variety over the week.
Portion control is one key way food prepping helps people maintain a healthy weight or lose a few pounds.
A review of several studies around the role of portion control in weight management showed that eating the appropriate amount of food is directly linked.
One component of portion control that researchers stress is choosing the right portions of water-rich foods, like fruits and vegetables, and eating less energy-dense foods like most fast foods and candy.
If you prep your food, its easier to not only eat the right amount, but to avoid foods that are bad for you but oh-so-tempting.
However, if youre portioning food out into plastic containers, all of that healthy preparation could actually create a new barrier to staying trim.
Dr. Aly Cohen, a rheumatologist, as well as an integrative medicine and environmental health specialist who is on staff at the CentraState Medical Center, explained.
An effective diet is not just about healthy eating, managing sugar and carbohydrates, and exercise, she told Healthline. Reducing chemical exposure is also key because many of these chemicals can disrupt normal hormone function, impede weight loss, and even cause weight gain. Just because chemicals may not have an obvious effect, like causing a rash, doesnt mean they arent tinkering with your body.
Whipping up a big batch of healthy chili, scooping it out into several plastic containers, and quickly reheating it in the microwave come mealtime is one example of how a healthy meal prep turns into several dinners brimming with the harmful hormone-disrupting chemical bisphenol A (BPA).
BPA is found in polycarbonate plastic (plastic #7) and canned food linings, as well as many other things that we touch every day including our smartphones.
Most human exposure to BPA is through ingestion from canned products, but BPA can also be absorbed by touching paper that uses BPA to seal ink onto its surface [e.g., receipts, airplane and parking tickets, currency] and then touching your hands to your lips. BPA can also be absorbed in smaller amounts through the skin, Cohen said.
Cohen noted that BPA is pervasive 8 billion pounds of BPA are made every year since its one of the cheapest ways to make packaging.
BPA and if your plastic container is marked BPA-free similar, sometimes more harmful chemicals are lurking in your plastic food storage set of containers.
Heating up plastic containers by putting hot food in them or microwaving them can draw out BPA right into your food.
BPA was first discovered in 1891 and then rediscovered in 1936, according to Cohen.
It was used as an estrogen replacement drug for women, and it was also used to fatten poultry and cattle. In the 1940s it was discovered that linking the molecules together created a hard, clear, glass-like plastic, she said.
BPA can confuse the endocrine system, which regulates hormones, by mimicking estrogen.
Were regularly ingesting BPA, and therefore continually disrupting the messages that help our bodies function properly. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 90 percent of people have detectable levels of BPA in their systems.
To date, nearly 100 studies have been published tying BPA to various health problems, from diabetes and cardiovascular disease to infertility, according to the Endocrine Society and IPENs Introduction to Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals.
Some other effects of too much BPA exposure are directly contrary to weight loss and healthy eating goals.
BPA passes through a persons system fairly quickly, but detoxifying still isnt easy.
Despite the fact that BPA has a short half-life of six hours, which means an exposure will wash out over a day or so, people continue to have high blood levels, Cohen noted.
There are two problems with BPA, added Laura Vandenberg, PhD, a spokesperson for the Endocrine Society, and an assistant professor of environmental health at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. One is that we are constantly exposed in our environment, so the levels never really seem to drop. Even in people that have been fasting, metabolite levels in urine are still detected. The second problem is that, if exposures occur during a vulnerable period of development, like fetal development, the effects can be permanent even if exposures cease.
For adult meal-planning fanatics, constant re-exposure to BPA may mean that meal prepping is actually sabotaging your diet.
BPA is so ubiquitous, that humans are continuously exposed, making BPA pseudo-persistent, Cohen said. Whats interesting in terms of weight is that BPA can turn stem cells into fat cells and make fat cells turn larger. Thats not great news for our waistlines let alone our overall health.
A study published in Environmental Health Perspectives in 2015 was the first study to prove that BPA-glucuronide (BPA-G), which accounts for 80 to 90 percent of the metabolites your liver produces when processing BPA, doesnt just get excreted from your body.
The researchers showed that BPA is an active agent that can prompt cells to become fat cells.
Thats not the only proven way that BPA exposure can interfere with your weight goals.
A recent study published in Endocrinology found that BPA exposure makes it much harder for you to feel full.
While meal prepping helps with portion control, the BPA in the plastic food storage containers may ironically be causing people to want to eat larger portions.
Even buying plastic containers marked BPA-free doesnt protect you from the harmful effects of plastic.
Some BPA-free products can actually release estrogen-simulating chemicals that are more potent than BPA.
Many products are now labeled BPA-free. However, BPA is often replaced with bisphenol S [BPS] and bisphenol F [BPF], which are less studied but appear to have similar hormone-disrupting effects, Rebecca Fuoco, MPH, director of Health Research Communication Strategies, told Healthline.
That means scientists and activists that study toxic chemicals like BPA and push to remove them from everyday products often end up spending a lot of time trying to figure out whats in the new compound.
When a chemical is found to be harmful, manufacturers change the molecule ever so slightly and put it out to market again, noted Cohen. From BPA came BPS, BPF, and BP-FB, which are molecules that have been found thus far to have more harmful effects than the chemical they were designed to replace also known as regrettable substitutions. Researchers are essentially playing whack-a-mole, because plastics and their ingredients are proprietary and considered trade secrets, so the recipes and ingredients are not shared with researchers or consumers.
In 2012, 4.7 million metric tons of BPA, valued at about $8 billion, was estimated to have been produced, according to GlobalData.
And reports of the harmful effects arent slowing production. The demand for BPA has risen 6 to 10 percent annually.
Oleoresin is a vegetable-based alternative that can add about two cents to the cost of manufacturing of cans, according to Cohen.
So far, it has only been used in a small percentage of cans on the market.
Our government has given more priority to manufacturers than to consumers. The vast majority of food packing ingredients are going out to market without ever being tested for toxicity, Cohen said.
In addition, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) still considers BPA to be safe, stating on its website that their research has showed that BPA is rapidly metabolized and eliminated through feces and urine.
On the other hand, regulatory agencies in Europe have recently re-evaluated BPA. Last week, there was widespread agreement by countries in the European Union that this chemical should be labeled a human endocrine disruptor.
For Americans, though, toxic chemicals like BPA remain a concern.
We shouldnt expect individual consumers to have detailed knowledge of chemistry to make safe decisions for themselves or their families. Safety decisions should be made by regulators using the best available evidence. I will continue to push for improved regulations that use modern data to protect public health, Vandenberg told Healthline.
Even though BPA-riddled plastic containers are out there, Vandenberg and Cohen noted that people can still make small changes over time that add up.
Here are some ways to ensure your food containers arent keeping you from losing weight.
Meal-prepping in plastic is still better than no meal prepping at all, if it helps you eat healthier.
These chemicals are ubiquitous theyre everywhere. You should do the best you can. Cutting chemicals out of your life is a journey, not a race. Every day I learn something new and try to add it into my life, Cohen said.
This story was originally published on Healthline.com.
View original post here:
Meal Prepping May Actually Be Sabotaging Your Diet – HuffPost
- North Carolina Weight & Wellness: Obesity Medicine ... - January 14th, 2019
- Weight Management Center | Wake Forest Baptist Health - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management | University of Maryland Medical Center - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management Program | NYU Langone Health - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management | Office of Work-Life at Columbia University - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Loss Centers in Washington - Yelp - December 23rd, 2018
- Delta Medical Weight Management Center - dmwmc.com - October 30th, 2018
- Weight Management for Your Life: Ten Steps to Prepare You ... - September 29th, 2018
- Weight Loss Management Center at UWMC - Roosevelt | UW ... - September 28th, 2018
- Weight Loss | Washington University Physicians - September 28th, 2018
- Weight Management Resources - Verywell Fit - September 28th, 2018
- Plainfield NJ Family Physician Doctors - Weight Management ... - August 30th, 2018
- Weight Loss Specialist | Weight Loss Coach | ACE - August 20th, 2018
- SmartFitWeightLoss.com - August 5th, 2018
- Weight Management Olympia Compounding Pharmacy - April 6th, 2018
- Medical Weight Loss Clinic | Medical Weight Management ... - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management | Reading Hospital - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management Louisville, Kentucky (KY), Norton Healthcare - March 13th, 2018
- Center for Weight & Wellness - Lifespan - March 13th, 2018
- MUSC Health Weight Management Center | Charleston SC - February 27th, 2018
- Weight Management - County of Sonoma, California - February 5th, 2018
- Weight Management - dTERRA Product Line | dTERRA ... - February 5th, 2018
- Weight Management Program - NYP.org - January 3rd, 2018
- Weight Management Resources - Verywell - December 28th, 2017
- Weight Management-Topic Overview - WebMD - December 1st, 2017
- The Institute for Weight Management - Hackensack, NJ - November 10th, 2017
- How Avocado Can Help with Weight Management - October 13th, 2017
- Weight Management | Compounding Pharmacy - Absolute Pharmacy - September 20th, 2017
- Can ventolin inhaler cause weight loss - Ventolin expectorant capsule price philippines - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Veterans' lives, health honored at wellness event in Butler - New Castle News - August 27th, 2017
- Healthy eating the best way to lose weight - Tahlequah Daily Press - August 27th, 2017
- Weight-loss firm makes apparent Stamford exit - The Advocate - August 27th, 2017
- The Role of Body Composition in Weight Management - Natural Products INSIDER - August 24th, 2017
- Get fit: The 5 best exercises for fat loss - Daily Commercial - August 24th, 2017
- Reimagining the Weight Loss Category - Natural Products INSIDER - August 24th, 2017
- These Are The Best Foods For Weight Loss - Huffington Post Australia - August 24th, 2017
- 5 local resources to help control diabetes - Twin Falls Times-News - August 20th, 2017
- Weight not a factor as energy dense foods appear to up cancer risk - FoodNavigator.com - August 18th, 2017
- Infrared Sauna Benefits Include Pain Management, Weight Loss - Metro US - August 18th, 2017
- The best exercise for weight loss, according to science - NEWS.com.au - August 13th, 2017
- Family Health News Has Positive Experience at Weight ... - Benzinga - Benzinga - August 11th, 2017
- Lifestyle-modification programs for weight management in Arab states lack in effectiveness - Medical Xpress - August 10th, 2017
- Exercise as a Weight-Loss Strategy - New York Times - August 9th, 2017
- Research Behind Top Weight Management Ingredients - Natural Products INSIDER - August 9th, 2017
- Lifestyle-modification programs for weight management in Arab states lack in effectiveness - Gears Of Biz - August 9th, 2017
- Diet Soda Linked to Weight Gain, Not Weight Loss - Olive Oil Times - Olive Oil Times - August 9th, 2017
- The 15-Minute Cardio Workout Perfect for Beginners Trying to Lose Weight - Shape Magazine - August 9th, 2017
- Weight Management Supplements | eBay - August 7th, 2017
- An easy, healthy way to control your weight - Thegardenisland.com - August 7th, 2017
- Newly Published Study Shows Supplementation Of Capsicum Extract Helps Increase Metabolic Rate - Markets Insider - August 7th, 2017
- Elicina Participates in Successful Weight Management, Sports ... - Benzinga - August 3rd, 2017
- Ask a Specialist: How Weight Loss Surgery Can Treat Type 2 Diabetes - KHON2 - August 3rd, 2017
- Diet Doc Offers Customized Weight Loss Solutions Amid Mediterranean Diet Doubts - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 3rd, 2017
- UFC willing to add new ABC weight classes 'when the time is right' - MMAmania.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Asthma inhaler weight loss - Ipratropium bromide and albuterol sulfate side effects - Van Wert independent - July 11th, 2017
- Weight Management Clinic Scarborough - Weight Management ... - July 7th, 2017
- Conversation Cards a Useful Tool in Pediatric Weight Management - Newswise (press release) - July 7th, 2017
- 7 ways to follow a low-carb diet the right way - Today.com - July 7th, 2017
- Apple Cider Vinegar Weight Loss - ACV Weight Loss - Woman's Day - WomansDay.com (blog) - July 6th, 2017
- Nolvadex for steroid users - Diabex side effects weight loss - Longboat Key News - July 6th, 2017
- VIVUS Settles with Teva on Weight Management Drug Generic - Zacks.com - July 6th, 2017
- Weight Management Ingredients - Natural Products INSIDER - July 5th, 2017
- Acai berry cancer - Acai berry weight loss cleanse - Antioch Herald - July 4th, 2017
- The Role of Meal Replacements in Weight Loss - TAPinto.net - July 4th, 2017
- Why Big Pharma Is Struggling to Profit From the Obesity Epidemic - Bloomberg - July 4th, 2017
- Dr. Steven Edelman Part 6, Type 2 Diabetes and Weight Management - Diabetes In Control - July 2nd, 2017
- 7 Lifestyle Changes That Can Affect Your Weight Management Goals - South Florida Reporter - July 2nd, 2017
- Medically Managed Weight Loss: A Nonsurgical Approach to a ... - Newswise (press release) - June 29th, 2017
- EnteroMedics Announces Affordable vBloc Therapy Program for Weight Loss Patients - PR Newswire (press release) - June 28th, 2017
- Does dieting or fitness trackers work better for weight loss - Bangor Daily News - June 28th, 2017
- Global Weight Management Market Size Is Expected To Reach USD 314.7 Bn By 2024 - Technorati - June 27th, 2017
- How Do You Lose Weight With Jenny Craig? A Dietitian Explains - POPSUGAR - June 27th, 2017
- 'Short term' weight control approaches call for new interventions ... - FoodNavigator.com - June 27th, 2017
- Think positive attitude for great fitness and weight loss results - Shawnee News Star - June 25th, 2017
- Health Bites: A lifestyle approach to health - Casper Star-Tribune Online - June 24th, 2017
- Follow These 9 Simple Steps To Set Yourself Up For Weight-Loss Success - Women's Health - June 24th, 2017
- 'Keto' diet good for quick weight loss, but caution advised - Theadanews - June 24th, 2017
- 'Keto' diet good for quick weight loss, but caution advised - Tahlequah Daily Press - June 22nd, 2017
- Weight Management | Summit Health - June 22nd, 2017
- Weight Management - prochange.com - June 22nd, 2017