The ketogenic diet is more popular than ever, but is keto safe? As word spreads about eating a high-fat and low-carb, more and more articles tout the benefits of a keto diet. And rightfully so: ketosis (your bodys fat-burning mode) can help you lose weight, upgrade your brain, soothe inflammation, and more.
That said, a lot of proponents of the keto diet dont talk about the negative side effects of keto or whether the keto diet is safe. There are a few possible safety issues to keep in mind when you follow a ketogenic diet.
In the early, early days, I would do hardcore keto for long periods of time, says Bulletproof founder Dave Asprey. At first, I felt good, but over time I developed problems from that, including leaky gut, food allergies, and my sleep quality went down, but if Im never in ketosis my life absolutely sucks.
This article will cover common problems with keto, how to avoid any dangerous side effects, and when it might be good to modify your keto diet by adding in extra carbs.
Generally, a ketogenic diet is perfectly safe. However, there are a few things to watch for when youre eating keto.
Carbs require water for storage. Fat does not. On a keto diet, you store less water, and your kidneys actively expel sodium instead of holding onto it. That means its easy to get dehydrated eating keto, especially during the first few weeks. With dehydration and low electrolytes, your muscles can start cramping, too.
Do this: Double down on magnesium, sodium, and potassium, your bodys three main electrolytes, and make sure you drink extra water. This is particularly important if you work out while on keto. Staying hydrated will also help you avoid symptoms of the keto flu.
A lot of people report struggling to process carbs when they eat a strict keto diet long-term, which makes sense. If you hardly ever eat carbs, you have no need to keep your insulin pathways running. Its like keeping the lights on during the daytime a waste of energy.
Your body seems to downregulate insulin (the hormone that tells your cells to use carbs for fuel) after youve been strict keto for a while. Some parts of your body thrive on glucose, like the glial cells in your brain that handle repair and immune function. If your cells are great at using fat for fuel and terrible at using carbs, you wont run at full power.
On an episode of the Bulletproof Radio podcast, Mark Sisson, author of The Keto Reset Diet, recommends using keto as a strategy, for a couple of weeks at a time, to reset your metabolism. This, he says, willimprove your metabolic flexibility and your metabolic efficiency.
In doing so, everything good in your life improves. You decrease inflammation. You increase your muscle mass. You increase the amount of energy you have There are a lot of things that happen as a result of this metabolic flexibility and this metabolic efficiency, explains Sisson. (Listen to Sisson talk about metabolic flexibility here.)
Another way to reach maximum metabolic flexibility is with a cyclical ketogenic diet, where you eat carbs one day a week in order to go in and out of ketosis regularly.
Do this: Experiment with carb cycling (aka cyclical keto) by eating 150 grams of quality carbs one day a week.
Download Now: 7-Day Cyclical Keto Diet Meal Plan & Recipe Book for Beginners
If youre eating fewer than 20 grams of carbs a day, it can be hard to get enough fiber. Low fiber intake can contribute to constipation, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and an increased risk of colon cancer. Plus,fiber boosts your fat-burning ability and strengthens your gut.
Do this: Be sure most of your carbs on a keto diet come from leafy, colorful, fiber-rich vegetables. (Even then, sometimes its tough to get enough fiber.) This is where a modified keto diet like thecyclical ketogenic diet(aka carb cycling) may be a better option. It gives you the flexibility to eat the types of foods our ancestors thrived on, like tubers, that support a healthy gut.
There isnt research on keto and sleep problems, but some people report waking up in the middle of the night on keto. If you find you have trouble sleeping on keto (and Bulletproof sleep hacks dont help), you may be better off eating some high-quality carbs at night.
These issues are common on strict keto, and are a big part of the reason why the Bulletproof Diet includes some quality carbs.
Do this: Take 1 teaspoon of raw honey before bed.
In addition to the potential problems with keto listed above, there are specific situations where you may do better on a modified keto diet that includes some carbs.
The jury is still out on keto and exercise. Some studies have found that keto-adapted athletes do just as well as high-carb athletes, while other studies find that keto athletes suffer decreased performance.
Do this: If you work out a lot and you find you dont have as much energy to push through tough workouts on a keto diet, consider trying targeted keto. With targeted keto, you selectively eat carbs to boost your workout performance, and end up back in ketosis a few hours later.
If you have an autoimmune condition like hypothyroidism or Hashimotos, you may be better off doing a cyclical ketogenic diet. Cutting carbs too much can decrease thyroid hormone production in some people,, although other research has found that keto is fine for your thyroid, and the decreased inflammation from keto could actually be good for it. This is another example of individual variation.
Do this: If you have an autoimmune disease, work with your doctor to find out how keto affects you.
Its worth noting that nutrition varies a lot from person to person. Some people do really well on a full keto diet, while others do much better when they eat more carbs. The key is to experiment and see how you feel. Find your ideal carb intake today, and play around until you find a diet that works well for you.
If youve got more questions, read our FAQ guide to keto here.
Thanks for reading!
Sign-up for the Bulletproof mailing list and receive the latest news and updates!
Follow this link:
Is the Keto Diet Safe? How to Avoid Common Issues
- drbdiet.com - Bernstein Diet & Health Clinics - May 21st, 2019
- What Is the Keto Diet (and Should You Try It)? Health ... - May 21st, 2019
- Calcium: An Important Mineral For Women - Women's Health - May 21st, 2019
- Beyonce Diet aka The Master Cleanse or Lemonade Diet - May 16th, 2019
- What should I feed my backyard chickens? RSPCA Knowledgebase - May 16th, 2019
- Eating a Plant-Based Diet: Safely Going Vegan | Nerd Fitness - April 25th, 2019
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe Long Term? Potential Dangers to ... - March 31st, 2019
- Weight loss: Choosing a diet that's right for you - Mayo ... - March 30th, 2019
- Ketogenic Diet Benefits (& How to Do It Right) | Wellness Mama - March 12th, 2019
- Are low carb diets safe to follow? | All Natural Ideas - March 12th, 2019
- Find Out How to Diet Safely - Food Without Fire - March 9th, 2019
- Keto Diet for Women: Food List & Tips to Overcome Side ... - March 8th, 2019
- 11 Fruits can you Eat Safely in a Ketogenic Diet - Cool ... - March 7th, 2019
- HCG Diet | HCG Drops | HCG Diet Information | Your HCG - March 6th, 2019
- All About Cat Diets How and Why to Put Your Cat on a ... - February 12th, 2019
- Foods You Can Safely Eat Past The Due Dates | ActiveBeat - January 28th, 2019
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe for People with Diabetes? - Dr ... - December 20th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? 4 Potential Dangers to Be Aware Of ... - December 19th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Really Safe? - thedailymeal.com - December 19th, 2018
- The Vegan Diet Done Safely - Parsley Health - November 18th, 2018
- Ketogenic diet: Is the ultimate low-carb diet good for you ... - October 31st, 2018
- Keto Diet Beginners Guide: Understanding the Ketogenic Diet - October 2nd, 2018
- Is the Keto diet Safe? 10 Myth-Busting Arguments for the ... - August 8th, 2018
- Diet - Safety Talk Ideas - August 6th, 2018
- The Carnivore Diet: Can Eating Only Meat Supercharge Your ... - August 1st, 2018
- Diet and Weight Loss Safety Tips (UPDATE: Jul 2018) | 2 ... - July 26th, 2018
- What Is the Keto Diet, and Is It Safe? - May 24th, 2018
- How to Safely and Effectively Come Off the Keto Diet ... - May 7th, 2018
- Care Guide: Diet - April 2nd, 2018
- Eat Wheat: A Scientific and Clinically-Proven Approach to ... - March 16th, 2018
- Can Probiotics Make It Safely To Your Intestines? - February 19th, 2018
- How to safely and healthily use supplements in your diet ... - February 17th, 2018
- Liquid Diet: Facts About Plans and Effectiveness - February 17th, 2018
- 11 Low Carb Vegetables That You Can Safely Eat on the ... - February 7th, 2018
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe for Everyone? - Diagnosis:Diet - January 20th, 2018
- Best Weight Loss Pills For Women Reviewed - Top 8 Best ... - December 25th, 2017
- Safe Diets and Healthful Weight Loss - healthline.com - November 6th, 2017
- Can I diet while breastfeeding? KellyMom.com - October 15th, 2017
- How to Use Diet Pills Safely: 12 Steps (with Pictures ... - October 13th, 2017
- How to Lose Weight Quickly and Safely (for Teen Girls) - October 13th, 2017
- Chinese red viagra sildenafil citrate - Viagra and red bull safe - Red ant viagra review - Black Hills Today - September 6th, 2017
- The What IF Plan: all you need to know about the new DNA weight loss programme - Evening Standard - September 6th, 2017
- Coca-Cola Offering $1 Million for Natural Sugar Substitute - Newsmax - September 6th, 2017
- 'Global event' in Ames this fall to focus on digital literacy - Radio Iowa - September 6th, 2017
- All the Apps and Websites You Need When You Have a Kid With Food Allergies - Lifehacker Australia - September 6th, 2017
- Cheap female viagra pills - Name of female viagra tablet - Twin Cities Arts Reader - September 4th, 2017
- 'Diet guidelines biased against poor nations' - The News International - September 4th, 2017
- World-renowned Alzheimer's expert takes state fair stage - KARE - September 4th, 2017
- 10 new nutrients you should be eating right away - DailyO - September 4th, 2017
- Why West's low-fat diet advice could be deadly for Asia's poor, because they'll likely eat even more carbs - South China Morning Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Battling the deerfly - Stowe Today - September 2nd, 2017
- Levitra professional mail order - Levitra professional pills - Laughlin Entertainer - September 2nd, 2017
- A Bountiful Assortment - PetProductNews.com - September 2nd, 2017
- Don't talk about diets in front of your daughters, deputy head at top London school warns parents - Evening Standard - September 1st, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Capital FM Kenya (press release) (blog) - September 1st, 2017
- Sponsor spotlight: Harbor Square Athletic Club Healthy Lifestyle Tip good protein sources - My Edmonds News - September 1st, 2017
- Viagra soft tabs uk buy - Viagra soft tab generic - Forward Florida - September 1st, 2017
- The Most Weight You Can Safely Lose In A Month By Only ... - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines 'biased against poor nations' - New Vision - August 30th, 2017
- Nutrition: Tips to a healthful State Fair - Duluth News Tribune - August 30th, 2017
- How does a high-salt diet affect your body? - Reports Healthcare - August 30th, 2017
- Healthcare Startup Claims It Can Defeat Diabetes With Nutrition Alone - Futurism - August 30th, 2017
- Buy kamagra soft usa - Forward Florida - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Geo News, Pakistan - August 29th, 2017
- Men who get fit in middle age can halve their risk of strokes - Telegraph.co.uk - August 29th, 2017
- Can you really lose your belly fat with just 15 minutes of HIIT a day? Yes. - Metro - August 29th, 2017
- Viagra capsule in hindi - Viagra capsules price in india - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Extension Connection: Petscaping Your Yard - Canton Daily Ledger - August 27th, 2017
- Ketogenic diet loved for fast results, but does it work? - Gears Of Biz - August 27th, 2017
- The case for complete streets - Prince Rupert Northern View - August 27th, 2017
- How Conor McGregor's Weight Loss Ahead of His Big Fight May Harm His Body - Scientific American - August 27th, 2017
- Watch it! Artificial sweeteners can make you fat - Vanguard - August 26th, 2017
- 5 Tips For Traveling Safely With Food Allergies - POPSUGAR - August 26th, 2017
- 7 Things You've Always Wondered About a Colonoscopy - SELF - August 26th, 2017
- We Talked With an Expert About Whether You Can Actually Lose Weight With the Apple Cider Vinegar Diet or Bone ... - Life & Style Weekly - August 26th, 2017
- Stayin' Alive: The Big 'D' with Jeordan Hill - Buffalo Rising - August 23rd, 2017
- Vaginal seeding birth trend could do more harm than good - Netdoctor - August 23rd, 2017
- Newquay's Blue Reef Aquarium stonefish twins are new stars - Cornwall Live - August 23rd, 2017
- Meet the meat-free Hong Kong parents on a vegan mission - South China Morning Post - August 20th, 2017
- How to have a berry good time foraging this summer - CBC.ca - August 20th, 2017