The ketogenic diet, or keto diet, claims to turn your body into a fat burning machine through restricting all forms of carbohydrates to an extremely low level. You can find more detailed information on what the diet looks like and where it came from here. It seems like a buttery, fat-filled fast track to weight loss but is it safe?
Many experts tout the benefits of the keto diet, ranging from diabetes prevention to blood pressure. However, registered dietitian Jackie Arnett Elnahar explained that many, if not all, of these benefits have been proven in studies involving patients with a chronic illness epilepsy or Alzheimers, for instance. They have not been proven for the average dieter.
Studies have shown great improvement in epilepsy and neuroprotective benefits for Parkinsons, Elnahar asserts. In spite of the advantages for some, it is not recommended for the general public.
There are some perceived benefits for those without a chronic illness. For instance, MusclePharm’s registered dietitian Kristen Bell explained, Because this diet is high in fat and so low in carbs, most will feel a decrease in cravings, and tend to feel full and more satisfied for longer periods of time.
But this temporary satiation comes at a very real cost.
What are some health risks of the keto diet?Ketogenic diets do have potential concerns and lack of scientific information on the long-term effects, registered dietitian and Arivale coach Ginger Hultin told The Daily Meal. Specifically, there is a possibility of kidney damage, nutritional deficiencies, and side effects including constipation, dehydration, fatigue, and nausea with this diet.
There still is not enough long-term research to confirm that the diet doesnt pose more serious health concerns. We dont know the long-term effects of eating extremely high-fat diets, registered dietitian Cheryl Mussatto explains, which go against the current chronic disease prevention recommendations.
But in the short term, some studies and some personal experiences have revealed that going keto has a number of undesired consequences.
Reducing carb intake to such a low level each day by the elimination of healthy food groups like grains and most fruits can result in nutrient deficiencies, says Mussatto, making it mandatory to use a multivitamin supplement to make up the difference. However, many keto dieters are not aware that they need to supplement to maintain a semblance of perfect health.
Mussatto also mentioned that for those on the keto diet, Constipation can become a problem due to the lack of fiber, along with other digestive issues. A dietary fiber supplement might be something to consider, as well.
What is the keto flu?Many keto dieters experience what is often referred to as the keto flu a temporary spate of flu-like symptoms that occur at the onset of the keto diet.
This wont last longer than a week for most, Bell explains, but you may experience nausea, runny nose, fatigue, and muscle weakness. For this reason, experts recommend being cautious with high-intensity exercise when you first start the diet. Exercise may become more difficult during this period when you are feeling weak and tired.
Are there any groups of people who should never try the keto diet? According to registered dietitians Cheryl Mussatto and Bari Stricoff, yes. They advised that you should not try the keto diet if you are in any of the following categories:
So, health risks considered, does the diet work? A person who follows a ketogenic diet will most likely lose some weight, Mussatto admits. However, once a person stops eating this way and goes back to how they were eating, the weight will come right back on and then some.
And all the experts we queried agreed that the diet is extremely difficult to follow.
Any diet that cuts out entire food groups often results in decreased sustainability, explained registered dietitian Bari Stricoff, and the weight lost will eventually be gained back over time if not more!
Stricoff described the likely cause of the short-term weight loss many people experience on the keto diet initially water weight.
When you stop consuming carbohydrates, your body will deplete your glycogen (stored glucose) for energy, Stricoff explains, The glycogen molecules are held in water, so when the glycogen is depleted, water loss occurs, and weight loss can result.
But when the extreme nature of the diet pushes people off the wagon, glycogen stores are replenished, and weight gain may occur.
If you dont lose weight on the keto diet, or any other diet for that matter, never fear you can accept your body at its natural, comfortable weight. You dont need to follow extreme diets or pose any risk to your health to feel confident and okay. Follow these simple tips to get started on feeling less insecure in your body right now.
See the article here:
Is the Keto Diet Really Safe? – thedailymeal.com
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe for People with Diabetes? - Dr ... - December 20th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? 4 Potential Dangers to Be Aware Of ... - December 19th, 2018
- The Vegan Diet Done Safely - Parsley Health - November 18th, 2018
- Ketogenic diet: Is the ultimate low-carb diet good for you ... - October 31st, 2018
- Keto Diet Beginners Guide: Understanding the Ketogenic Diet - October 2nd, 2018
- Is the Keto diet Safe? 10 Myth-Busting Arguments for the ... - August 8th, 2018
- Diet - Safety Talk Ideas - August 6th, 2018
- The Carnivore Diet: Can Eating Only Meat Supercharge Your ... - August 1st, 2018
- Diet and Weight Loss Safety Tips (UPDATE: Jul 2018) | 2 ... - July 26th, 2018
- What Is the Keto Diet, and Is It Safe? - May 24th, 2018
- How to Safely and Effectively Come Off the Keto Diet ... - May 7th, 2018
- Care Guide: Diet - April 2nd, 2018
- Eat Wheat: A Scientific and Clinically-Proven Approach to ... - March 16th, 2018
- Can Probiotics Make It Safely To Your Intestines? - February 19th, 2018
- How to safely and healthily use supplements in your diet ... - February 17th, 2018
- Liquid Diet: Facts About Plans and Effectiveness - February 17th, 2018
- 11 Low Carb Vegetables That You Can Safely Eat on the ... - February 7th, 2018
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe for Everyone? - Diagnosis:Diet - January 20th, 2018
- Best Weight Loss Pills For Women Reviewed - Top 8 Best ... - December 25th, 2017
- Safe Diets and Healthful Weight Loss - healthline.com - November 6th, 2017
- Can I diet while breastfeeding? KellyMom.com - October 15th, 2017
- How to Use Diet Pills Safely: 12 Steps (with Pictures ... - October 13th, 2017
- How to Lose Weight Quickly and Safely (for Teen Girls) - October 13th, 2017
- Chinese red viagra sildenafil citrate - Viagra and red bull safe - Red ant viagra review - Black Hills Today - September 6th, 2017
- The What IF Plan: all you need to know about the new DNA weight loss programme - Evening Standard - September 6th, 2017
- Coca-Cola Offering $1 Million for Natural Sugar Substitute - Newsmax - September 6th, 2017
- 'Global event' in Ames this fall to focus on digital literacy - Radio Iowa - September 6th, 2017
- All the Apps and Websites You Need When You Have a Kid With Food Allergies - Lifehacker Australia - September 6th, 2017
- Cheap female viagra pills - Name of female viagra tablet - Twin Cities Arts Reader - September 4th, 2017
- 'Diet guidelines biased against poor nations' - The News International - September 4th, 2017
- World-renowned Alzheimer's expert takes state fair stage - KARE - September 4th, 2017
- 10 new nutrients you should be eating right away - DailyO - September 4th, 2017
- Why West's low-fat diet advice could be deadly for Asia's poor, because they'll likely eat even more carbs - South China Morning Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Battling the deerfly - Stowe Today - September 2nd, 2017
- Levitra professional mail order - Levitra professional pills - Laughlin Entertainer - September 2nd, 2017
- A Bountiful Assortment - PetProductNews.com - September 2nd, 2017
- Don't talk about diets in front of your daughters, deputy head at top London school warns parents - Evening Standard - September 1st, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Capital FM Kenya (press release) (blog) - September 1st, 2017
- Sponsor spotlight: Harbor Square Athletic Club Healthy Lifestyle Tip good protein sources - My Edmonds News - September 1st, 2017
- Viagra soft tabs uk buy - Viagra soft tab generic - Forward Florida - September 1st, 2017
- The Most Weight You Can Safely Lose In A Month By Only ... - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines 'biased against poor nations' - New Vision - August 30th, 2017
- Nutrition: Tips to a healthful State Fair - Duluth News Tribune - August 30th, 2017
- How does a high-salt diet affect your body? - Reports Healthcare - August 30th, 2017
- Healthcare Startup Claims It Can Defeat Diabetes With Nutrition Alone - Futurism - August 30th, 2017
- Buy kamagra soft usa - Forward Florida - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Geo News, Pakistan - August 29th, 2017
- Men who get fit in middle age can halve their risk of strokes - Telegraph.co.uk - August 29th, 2017
- Can you really lose your belly fat with just 15 minutes of HIIT a day? Yes. - Metro - August 29th, 2017
- Viagra capsule in hindi - Viagra capsules price in india - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Extension Connection: Petscaping Your Yard - Canton Daily Ledger - August 27th, 2017
- Ketogenic diet loved for fast results, but does it work? - Gears Of Biz - August 27th, 2017
- The case for complete streets - Prince Rupert Northern View - August 27th, 2017
- How Conor McGregor's Weight Loss Ahead of His Big Fight May Harm His Body - Scientific American - August 27th, 2017
- Watch it! Artificial sweeteners can make you fat - Vanguard - August 26th, 2017
- 5 Tips For Traveling Safely With Food Allergies - POPSUGAR - August 26th, 2017
- 7 Things You've Always Wondered About a Colonoscopy - SELF - August 26th, 2017
- We Talked With an Expert About Whether You Can Actually Lose Weight With the Apple Cider Vinegar Diet or Bone ... - Life & Style Weekly - August 26th, 2017
- Stayin' Alive: The Big 'D' with Jeordan Hill - Buffalo Rising - August 23rd, 2017
- Vaginal seeding birth trend could do more harm than good - Netdoctor - August 23rd, 2017
- Newquay's Blue Reef Aquarium stonefish twins are new stars - Cornwall Live - August 23rd, 2017
- Meet the meat-free Hong Kong parents on a vegan mission - South China Morning Post - August 20th, 2017
- How to have a berry good time foraging this summer - CBC.ca - August 20th, 2017
- Expired viagra risks - Red ant viagra - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Is It Safe to Lose Weight While You're Pregnant? - Mommyish (blog) - August 17th, 2017
- Ignore the clickbait: Metformin still prescribed for diabetics - STLtoday.com - August 17th, 2017
- Bodybuilder Mom Dies from Eating Too Much Protein - Mommyish (blog) - August 17th, 2017
- Diet Doc Explains Why Customized Dieting is More Effective than the Popular Keto Diet - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 17th, 2017
- Westchester Playa Neighborhood Council Votes Against PDR Safety Projects - Streetsblog Los Angeles (blog) - August 17th, 2017
- Dr. Roach: Ignore the clickbait: Metformin still prescribed for diabetics - LubbockOnline.com - August 17th, 2017
- Programmable pressure cooker makes meals in minutes, now $120 off - Digital Trends - August 17th, 2017
- How to stay safe in the sun this summer - The Independent - August 17th, 2017
- What's A Safe Amount Of Weight To Lose In A Week? - Huffington Post Australia - August 14th, 2017
- Female-owned Red Mountain Weight Loss sets milestone - AZ Big Media - August 14th, 2017
- World's most deadly fish have made themselves at home in the Westcountry - Devon Live - August 14th, 2017
- Endometriosis and Diet: What You Can Do About It - Care2.com - August 13th, 2017
- Impossible Burger blowback: Will irrational fears of biotechnology ... - Genetic Literacy Project - August 13th, 2017
- With political help, lobbies put chemicals in our diet; BJP must honour its pledge to keep GM food out - Mainstream - August 13th, 2017
- What Can Kill Cats and How to Prevent Cat Diseases and Accidents - Catster - August 11th, 2017
- A Crown Point man lost 50 pounds ... for his son - nwitimes.com - August 11th, 2017