Youve probably heard your diet impacts weight loss more than your Aaptiv fitness routine. See: 80 percent diet, 20 percent exercise or abs are made in the kitchen.
Yet, without much elaboration, it can be hard to tell if these sayings are simply catchy or hold any truth.
So, we talked with three professionals to see if what you eat truly impacts weight loss more than exerciseand if so, by how much?
In order to set this straight, we need to take a quick look at what needs to happen for our bodies to lose weight. In order to lose weight, an energy [aka calorie] deficit needs to be created, says Maya Feller, MS, RD, CDN, and CLC of Maya Feller Nutrition. This deficit can come from reducing calories, increasing exercise, or both.
If the bottom line is simply a caloric deficit, for most, cleaning up a diet is much easier than attempting to burn off all the necessary calories with exercise alone.
Carrie Dennett, MPH, RDN, and owner of Nutrition by Carrie adds to that. One possibility [why diet has more impact than exercise] is that most people dont burn as many calories as we think through exercise, so its easy to out eat your exercise, she says.
This can happen mindlessly, or simply by falling into the mental trap of Ive been working out consistently, so I deserve this scone. Thats not to say that you shouldnt treat yourselfonly that those treats shouldnt consistently out-do your workout efforts.
You cant outrun an unhealthy diet, says Samantha Hass, Registered Dietitian at New York Citys F-Factor. People tend to overestimate calories burned in the gym and underestimate their caloric intake, which negates any calories burned.
You should never use exercise as a reason to not take care of your health, or see fitness as a penance for certain food choices you regret. Accurately measure your caloric input and output if weight loss is your goal. Decouple your food intake and exercise altogether. Doing so will guarantee that key deficit.
Its easy to get stuck in the eat less, lose more mindset. But the quality of the food actually matters more than the quantity. Recent studies have suggested that diet quality over quantity produces better weight loss outcomes, says Feller.
In my clinical experience working with patients in the areas of weight management, I have seen the best outcomes with regard to sustained weight loss achieved when the emphasis is on modifying food-related behaviors and focusing on adhering to a nutrition pattern based on consuming well balanced, whole, and minimally processed foods while incorporating regular physical activity.
Basically, whole, unprocessed foods will not only make you feel really good but help you lose weight, too. A positive relationship with food with also prevents you from spiraling into a crash diet.
We also know that engaging in positive nutrition-related behavior can be an indicator of improved quality of life as we age, says Feller. The phrase, you are what you eat holds a significant amount of truth.
All that said, a good diet cant provide the essential health benefits of physical activity. Research shows that cardiorespiratory fitness is associated with better health at all body weights, Dennett says. And maintaining or building muscle with resistance or strength training is also vitally important for health.
Plus, we know the benefits of working out extend far beyond weight loss. Working out is important, as there are a number of benefits, such as aiding blood pressure and blood sugar control, improved mood, and energy balance, Feller says.
Hass also recommends doing cardio consistently for its mood-boosting power and ability to improve heart health. Moreover, she advises those who want to lose weight to strength train.
[These] exercises create a lean physique and build lean muscle, which will boost metabolism and keep it going while not increasing your appetite like cardio does, she says.
Its good to note that, at rest, a pound of muscle burns more calories than a pound of fat. When you do strength training and weight resistant activities that build lean muscle, you continue burning calories, even when you stop the activity, Hass notes.
Everything considered, both healthy diet and consistent exercise play key roles in weight loss. But your diet does outweigh your fitness routine.
That doesnt mean you should cut your workouts short! Aaptiv has the perfect range of workouts with all different time limits so you can get a workout in where it fits in your schedule.
Exercise to be strong and fit and flexible, says Dennett. And eat to nourish and satisfy your body and feel energized.
Overall, the key to living a healthy lifestyle is balance. So, work to find the appropriate caloric deficit for your weight loss goals. Then, divide the work to maintain it between both your diet and your exercise.
Read the original post:
Is Diet Really More Effective Than Exercise for Weight ...
- How to Exercise on a Keto Diet | KetoDiet Blog - August 21st, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Calendar Template | 2019 Calendar ... - August 3rd, 2019
- Nutrition, Exercise & Sleep - National Sleep Foundation - July 29th, 2019
- Top Four Ways to Exercise When on a Ketogenic Diet - July 13th, 2019
- Cherry Creek Medical Weight Loss - Colorado Weight Loss - June 5th, 2019
- Dementia: Exercise, diet, healthy lifestyle can prevent it ... - May 19th, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Tips For Incontinence URINARY ... - April 26th, 2019
- Is It the Diet, the Exercise, or Both? | NutritionFacts.org - April 17th, 2019
- How To Create The Perfect Diet Plan For Your Workout Goal - April 16th, 2019
- Diet + Fitness - CNN - April 3rd, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise - Mindful by Sodexo - March 9th, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise: The Truth About Weight Loss - WebMD - February 28th, 2019
- Is Exercise Pointless? (Why You Cant Out Train A Bad Diet) - February 10th, 2019
- Donald Trump's Physical Exam Shows Hes in 'Very Good ... - February 8th, 2019
- Can You Exercise While On The Keto Diet? | Bioketo - February 3rd, 2019
- CRON-diet - Wikipedia - January 17th, 2019
- Reverse PCOS Naturally Through Diet and Exercise | Sepalika - September 24th, 2018
- Diet and Exercise for Heart Disease Prevention - September 24th, 2018
- Diet & Exercise Diary: Hinkler books: 9781743087800 ... - August 6th, 2018
- The Fully Raw Diet: 21 Days to Better Health, with Meal ... - July 9th, 2018
- Diet, Exercise & Health | Fisher Center for Alzheimer's ... - June 5th, 2018
- PCOS and Exercise: How much and how often? | PCOS Diet Support - May 27th, 2018
- 2-Week Diet & Exercise Plan | Applied Nutrition | Health Tips - May 25th, 2018
- Should You Exercise While On The HCG Diet? - May 17th, 2018
- Diet or exercise for weight loss? - Business Insider - May 17th, 2018
- Dieting - Wikipedia - May 17th, 2018
- Successful Weight Loss: Top 10 Tips On ... - The Diet Channel - May 17th, 2018
- The relationship between diet and exercise Steven Low - April 28th, 2018
- Exercise and Eating Healthy - April 19th, 2018
- Diet Vs Exercise: Which Matters More For Weight Loss ... - January 12th, 2018
- Exercise and Anti Inflammation Diet to Live Longer - December 29th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight Fast Without Diet Pills Or Exercise - October 13th, 2017
- Benefit to improving diet and exercise at the same time ... - October 1st, 2017
- 3 Day Military Diet & Exercise: Best Workout Plan for ... - September 20th, 2017
- PCOS and Exercise - The Benefits | PCOS Diet Support - September 20th, 2017
- Diet and Exercise | County Health Rankings & Roadmaps - September 20th, 2017
- Not just diet and exercise: lifestyle changes needed to shed the kilos if you're overweight or obese - South China Morning Post - September 5th, 2017
- Weight loss: How to slim your waist without exercise or dieting ... - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- Weight loss news: Men find THIS type of exercise harder than women - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- Rebel Wilson weight loss: Pitch Perfect's 'Fat Amy' shed the pounds doing THIS exercise - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- 10 ways to build your best body starting today - Body and Soul - September 4th, 2017
- 5 Myths About Exercise Debunked - Inc.com - September 4th, 2017
- Start the Week Off Right: Four exercise and nutrition myths - Quad City Times - September 4th, 2017
- 5 common workout myths and what to do instead, according to the personal trainer who eats only 2 meals a day - Evening Standard - September 4th, 2017
- 30 ways to add years to your life that aren't 'diet and exercise' - WYFF Greenville - September 3rd, 2017
- Junk food fan's shock after learning his 'terrible' diet has aged his body by a staggering 22 YEARS - The Sun - September 3rd, 2017
- When diets fail, Rujuta Diwekar's exercise guide comes to the rescue - Economic Times - September 3rd, 2017
- Losing weight gets personal: Combining diet and behavioral changes may help - Washington Post - September 3rd, 2017
- Jessie James Decker Reveals the Fitness and Diet Secrets to Her Super Hot Bikini Body! - E! Online - September 1st, 2017
- Nathalie Emmanuel's Diet and Exercise Regime Helps Her On-Set Stamina - Hollywood.com - August 30th, 2017
- Weight loss: Man loses over three stone by swapping fizzy drinks for THIS - Express.co.uk - August 30th, 2017
- Nathalie Emmanuel's diet and exercise regime helps her on-set stamina - Belfast Telegraph - August 29th, 2017
- How I Got This Body: Less Fad Dieting and Diet Coke, More Seltzer and Fitspo Friends - Washingtonian.com - August 29th, 2017
- Cutting the carbs: Everything you need to know about the South Beach Diet - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 29th, 2017
- Calorie reduction + exercise = better muscle function in older adults - Medical Xpress - August 29th, 2017
- Emilia Clarke's trainer reveals what she does to stay in such great shape - INSIDER - August 28th, 2017
- Weight loss diet: Eating THIS before exercise could affect how your body burns fat - Express.co.uk - August 28th, 2017
- Diet and exercise - Journal Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- The key to weight loss: THIS could be the best way to combat obesity - Express.co.uk - August 28th, 2017
- The only two exercises you need to do to get rid of belly fat fast - Daily Star - August 28th, 2017
- Weight loss: This is the best trick YOU can do to lose weight without even trying - Express.co.uk - August 27th, 2017
- 5 Easy Ways To Spring Clean Your Diet - Huffington Post Australia - August 27th, 2017
- Weight loss: THIS is the best exercise you can do at home to lose belly fat - Express.co.uk - August 27th, 2017
- A Coach's Wife: Trying to comprehend the mixed-up business of diet and exercise - Daily Herald - August 27th, 2017
- Tia Mowry on her 5-second style and why she'll never give up comfort foods - Yahoo Food - August 27th, 2017
- Report: Diet, Exercise Help Diabetics Maintain Normal Lifestyle - CBS Philly - August 26th, 2017
- Fit For Life: Train and Eat! Not - Exercise and Diet - GoLocalProv - August 26th, 2017
- Weight loss: How to lose weight and blast belly fat with walking - Express.co.uk - August 26th, 2017
- 83% of people lose weight on THIS diet without exercising - Daily Star - August 26th, 2017
- Bob Harper Shares All the Ways His Life Has Changed Following His Heart Attack - POPSUGAR - August 26th, 2017
- Intensive lifestyle change: It works, and it's more than diet and exercise - Harvard Health (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Kristina Dropped 102 Pounds by "Doing Zero Exercise" in the First Year - POPSUGAR - August 21st, 2017
- 25-year-old supermodel Kate Upton says weightlifting completely changed her body and outlook on fitness - INSIDER - August 21st, 2017
- Jennifer Aniston Dishes on Her Diet and Exercise Secrets (Grab a Pen and Take Notes, People!) - Closer Weekly - August 20th, 2017
- Study: A red wine component has similar anti-aging benefits to diet and exercise - PhillyVoice.com - August 19th, 2017
- Health and exercise myths and tips - Inquirer.net - August 18th, 2017
- The Secret Behind Demi Lovato's Confidence and Happiness? This Routine - POPSUGAR - August 18th, 2017
- What Marilyn Monroe actually ate every day - HarpersBAZAAR.co.uk (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Prevent cardiovascular disease - adding this to diet could be as good as exercise - Express.co.uk - August 17th, 2017
- Quality of life increases with diet & exercise - The Coastal Journal - August 17th, 2017