Hypogonadism is a condition that causes decreased function of the gonads, which are the testis in males and the ovaries in females, and the production of hormones that play a role in sexual development during puberty. You may be born with the condition or it can develop later in life from injury or infection. Some types of hypogonadism can be treated with hormone replacement therapy.
There are two forms of the condition primary hypogonadism resulting from problems of the testis or ovary and central hypogonadism caused by problems with the pituitary or hypothalamic glands. Central hypogonadism leads to decreased levels of luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulating hormones (FSH), released by the pituitary gland.
The condition may have genetic, menopausal autoimmune and viral causes or may develop after cancer treatments such as radiation and chemotherapy.
Fasting, weight loss, eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa, and bulimia, and stressful conditions can cause the condition.
In children before puberty, hypogonadism causes no symptoms. In adolescents, it can delay or prevent exual development.
Adult women with the condition may stop menstruating or develop infertility, loss of libido, vaginal dryness and hot flashes. Prolonged periods of hypogonadism can cause osteoporosis.
Men with the condition may experience loss of libido, erectile dysfunction and infertility.
To diagnose hypogonadism, tests may be performed to check hormone levels estogren in females and testosterone in males. In addition, levels of luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulating hormones (FSH) will be tested. LH and FSH are pituitary hormones that are stimulated by the gonads.
Other tests may measure thyroid hormones, sperm count and prolactin, a hormone released by the pituitary gland that stimulates breast development and milk production Tests also may be performed to test for anemia and possible genetic causes of symptoms.
For women, your doctor may request a sonogram of your ovaries.
If pituitary disease is suspected, a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan or computed tomography (CT) scan may be performed to examine the the pituitary gland.
Hormone replacement therapy has proven to be effective treatment for hypogonadism in men and pre-menopausal women.
Estrogen may be administered in the form of a patch or pill. Testosterone can be given by a patch, a product soaked in by the gums, a gel or by injection.
For women who have not had their uterus removed, a combination of estrogen and progesterone is often recommended to decrease the chance of developing endometrial cancer. Low-dose testosterone may be added for women with hypogonadism who have a low sex drive.
Other hormones may be prescribed to restore fertility in men and women.
Reviewed by health care specialists at UCSF Medical Center.
Hypogonadism – UCSF Medical Center
- Low Testosterone (Male Hypogonadism) | Cleveland Clinic - October 10th, 2018
- Hypogonadism? | Go Ask Alice! - October 10th, 2018
- Endo Pharmaceuticals | Hypogonadism - August 8th, 2018
- Hypogonadism disease: Malacards - Research Articles, Drugs ... - July 25th, 2018
- Hypogonadism (Low Testosterone) | Men's Health Resource Center - June 24th, 2018
- Hypogonadism Treatment & Management: Approach Considerations ... - March 7th, 2018
- Hypogonadism: Practice Essentials, Background, Pathophysiology - February 11th, 2018
- Talk:Kallmann syndrome - Wikipedia - January 20th, 2018
- Healthier Andropause Build to Balance - January 20th, 2018
- Lilly pulls Axiron from Korean market | Righting Injustice - January 20th, 2018
- Diminished Androgen and Estrogen Receptors and Aromatase ... - January 20th, 2018
- Attention, Men: Doing This Every Day Could Lower Your ... - January 20th, 2018
- Hypogonadism - Definition, Causes, Symptoms and Treatment - January 6th, 2018
- Primary Hypogonadism VS Secondary Hypogonadism ... - January 1st, 2018
- Hypogonadism | Cleveland Clinic - December 28th, 2017
- Hypogonadism | Children's Hospital of Philadelphia - December 18th, 2017
- Male hypogonadism - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic - December 15th, 2017
- Hypogonadism Causes & Information | Cleveland Clinic - December 12th, 2017
- What is Hypogonadism? (with pictures) - November 15th, 2017
- Causes of secondary hypogonadism in males - uptodate.com - November 15th, 2017
- Induction of fertility in men with secondary hypogonadism - November 4th, 2017
- Hypogonadism Testosterone Therapy Treatment | Ageonics Medical - October 18th, 2017
- Hypogonadism, Male | ARUPConsult Lab Test Selection - October 18th, 2017
- Hypogonadism: Types, Causes, & Symptoms - healthline.com - October 13th, 2017
- Hypogonadism Information | Mount Sinai - New York - October 8th, 2017
- Low Testosterone | Hormone Health Network - October 5th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Drug Market Analysis, Share and Size, Trends ... - satPRnews (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- Jury Punishes AbbVie for False Advertising in First MDL Verdict - Legal Examiner - September 6th, 2017
- 'Bachelorette' Star Michael Nance Died From Cocaine, Heroin & Pill Overdose - Radar Online - August 31st, 2017
- Male hypogonadism - Treatment - Mayo Clinic - August 30th, 2017
- Wives of 3 of 4 patients treated for hypogonadism conceive - Times of India - August 25th, 2017
- Pipeline Landscape of Male Hypogonadism Covering Therapeutic Assessment and Drug Portfolio in 2017 - Digital Journal - August 17th, 2017
- Testosterone therapy improves sexual functions - INDIA New England - India New England - August 17th, 2017
- Lipocine resubmits NDA for LPCN 1021 in hypogonadism - The Pharma Letter (registration) - August 14th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Sales Market Research Report 2017 to 2022 - The Donohue Report - August 14th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Market Growth Forecast Analysis by ... - Green Mountain Outlook - August 14th, 2017
- Global Male Hypogonadism Market 2017 Allergan Plc., Endo International Plc., Ferring, AbbVie Inc. - DailyCommerceNews - August 10th, 2017
- Here's What Lipocine Inc. (NASDAQ:LPCN)'s Latest Announcement Means For Shareholders - Market Exclusive - August 10th, 2017
- Lipocine (LPCN) Resubmits NDA for Oral Testosterone Product Candidate, LPCN 1021, for Treatment of Hypogonadism - StreetInsider.com - August 9th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Market Research Report 2017 To 2022 - Equity Insider (press release) - August 4th, 2017
- Research details developments in the male hypogonadism - market ... - WhaTech - August 2nd, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Market Deep Research Study with Forecast by 2025 - Digital Journal - July 12th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Pipeline Report, H1 2017 - Therapeutics Review of 15 Companies & Drug Profiles - Research ... - Business Wire (press release) - July 11th, 2017
- Buy kamagra oral jelly australia - Kamagra oral jelly for sale in usa - Longboat Key News - July 6th, 2017
- Estradiol for the mitigation of adverse effects of androgen deprivation therapy. - UroToday - July 4th, 2017
- Man, 34, 'DOUBLES the size of his penis in nine months thanks to hormone injections' - The Sun - July 4th, 2017
- Hormone Treatments Helps Man's Penis DOUBLE In Size - YourTango - June 24th, 2017
- Low Testosterone Treatments | Houston TX - June 24th, 2017
- Infertility - Causes - NHS Choices - June 24th, 2017
- Nasal Testosterone Gel Shown to Normalize Androgen Levels, Improve Erectile Function & Mood in Hypogonadal Men - UroToday - June 24th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Market predicts rise in demand by 2016-2024 - People Today 24 - June 24th, 2017
- Hypogonadism in testicular cancer patients is associated with risk factors of cardiovascular disease and the ... - UroToday - June 2nd, 2017
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy May Protect Against Stroke, Heart Attack in Hypogonadism - Endocrinology Advisor - May 8th, 2017
- TRT and heart health: Conflicting findings published - ModernMedicine - March 18th, 2017
- Testosterone therapy has positive effects on anthropometric measures, metabolic syndrome components (obesity, lipid ... - UroToday - March 18th, 2017
- Efficacy and safety of testosterone replacement gel for treating hypogonadism in men: Phase III open-label studies. - UroToday - March 18th, 2017
- USADA notifies Ben Rothwell of potential anti-doping violation, putting UFC 211 status in jeopardy - MMAjunkie.com - March 8th, 2017
- Denosumab is really effective in the treatment of osteoporosis secondary to hypogonadism in prostate carcinoma ... - UroToday - March 8th, 2017
- You & Your Hormones | Endocrine conditions | Male hypogonadism - December 29th, 2016
- Hypergonadotropic hypogonadism - Wikipedia - November 25th, 2016
- Late-onset hypogonadism - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2016
- Hypogonadism No Moustache! No Beard - November 15th, 2016
- Hypogonadism - Wikipedia - October 29th, 2016
- Male hypogonadism Causes - Mayo Clinic - October 13th, 2015
- Male Hypogonadism - Cleveland Clinic - October 7th, 2015
- Hypogonadism Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes ... - October 5th, 2015
- Causes of secondary hypogonadism in males UpToDate - September 11th, 2015
- Hypogonadism | Disorders | Knowledge Base - August 26th, 2015
- Hypergonadotropic hypogonadism - Wikipedia, the free ... - July 31st, 2015
- hypogonadism | pathology | Britannica.com - July 23rd, 2015
- Low Testosterone in Men | Hypogonadism - June 18th, 2015
- Male hypogonadism: Symptoms and treatment - June 15th, 2015
- Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism - Wikipedia, the free ... - May 27th, 2015
- What is Male Hypogonadism? Learn Hormone.org's ... - May 27th, 2015
- Hypogonadism: Types, Causes, & Symptoms Healthline - May 24th, 2015
- Prevalence, Diagnosis and Treatment of Hypogonadism in ... - May 22nd, 2015
- Male hypogonadism Tests and diagnosis - Mayo Clinic - May 22nd, 2015
- Hypogonadism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 20th, 2015
- Hypogonadism (Medical Condition) - Video - April 20th, 2015
- Overcome Hypogonadism Subliminal Track + Binaural Beat - Video - March 6th, 2015