Hypogonadism is a condition in which the body produces little or no sex hormones. Normally the sex glands known as gonads in the body produce sex hormones,testosterone and estrogen. In men the testes and in women the ovaries are the gonads.
The sex hormones produced by these glands are responsible for the sexual characteristics in men and women. They control testicular development, sperm production, growth of pubic hair and masculine features in men; and pubic hair, breast development, menstruation and feminine features in women. Hypogonadism or gonad deficiency in males results in low production of testosterone. It is also called as andropause.
Types Of Hypogonadism
The gonads produce sex hormones, but these gonads are controlled by thehypothalamus and the pituitary gland in the brain, which send messages to the glands to produce sex hormones. Based on this mechanism, hypogonadism can be mainly classified into:
Causes of Hypogonadism
The causes of hypogonadism depend on its types.
Causes Of Primary Hypogonadism
Causes Of Central Hypogonadism
Clinical Features of Hypogonadism
Clinical features may vary with sex and the age when the condition is detected.
In boys, the sexual characters like beard, muscle development and overall growth is affected. Symptoms commonly observed in men include:
In girls, menstruation is absent and sexual characters like breast development, growth and height is affected. Symptoms of hypogonadism commonly observed in women include:
Some symptoms related to central causes like brain tumors may be seen. For example, headache, vision disturbances or loss, hormone deficiency symptoms, milky discharges from the breast.
Diagnosis of Hypogonadism
The physician would initially perform
Clinical Examination This helps to detect sexual characters and their development, examine sex organs and breast development, body hair and muscle mass.
Hormone Tests These are done to detect hormone levels and determine the type and cause of the condition. These include
Other Tests May Include
Karyotype Test this may be helpful in finding any chromosomal defect.
Sometimes testicular tissue testing and testicular biopsy may be considered.
Pelvic Ultrasound This may be performed to identify any structural abnormality in ovaries or to detect PCOD.
MRI or CT Scan This may be considered to detect tumors or other abnormality in the brain or pituitary gland.
Treatment of Hypogonadism
The main aim of treatment is to provide the sex hormones that are lacking in the body, treat any other underlying cause and manage the existing symptoms. For boys and girls in the pre-pubertal age, treatment is given for appropriate commencement of puberty. Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is the mainstay of treatment.
Women are given replacement of estrogen and progesterone in the form of pill, skin patch. The exact treatment and type depends on the age and symptoms of the patient. Menstrual irregularities or infertility are treated with other hormones related to that function, in cases where positive outcomes can be expected.
Men can be given testosterone in the form of skin patch, gel, solution or injection, known as testosterone replacement therapy. Specific hormone treatment may be considered for triggering puberty or increasing sperm production depending on the symptoms.
Any underlying causes are treated appropriately. In case of pituitary gland tumors, medications, radiation therapy or surgery may be considered.
Prevention of Hypogonadism
All patients on HRT should follow the advice of their treating physician and need to be re-evaluated every 6 to 12 months. Lack of sex hormones can lead to other complaints like increased risk of heart disease and osteoporosis, due to thinning of bones. Consider taking vitamin, calcium or vitamin D supplements with medical advice.
For both men and women, it is important to maintain an ideal weight, consume a healthy balanced diet and exercise regularly to remain healthy and active.
Originally posted here:
Hypogonadism: Treatment, Causes, Clinical Features, Prevention
- Hypogonadism Causes + 6 Ways to Help Balance ... - Dr. Axe - March 8th, 2019
- OMIM Entry - # 241080 - WOODHOUSE-SAKATI SYNDROME - February 9th, 2019
- Male hypogonadism - You and Your Hormones - November 16th, 2018
- Low Testosterone (Male Hypogonadism) | Cleveland Clinic - October 10th, 2018
- Hypogonadism? | Go Ask Alice! - October 10th, 2018
- Endo Pharmaceuticals | Hypogonadism - August 8th, 2018
- Hypogonadism disease: Malacards - Research Articles, Drugs ... - July 25th, 2018
- Hypogonadism (Low Testosterone) | Men's Health Resource Center - June 24th, 2018
- Hypogonadism Treatment & Management: Approach Considerations ... - March 7th, 2018
- Hypogonadism: Practice Essentials, Background, Pathophysiology - February 11th, 2018
- Talk:Kallmann syndrome - Wikipedia - January 20th, 2018
- Healthier Andropause Build to Balance - January 20th, 2018
- Lilly pulls Axiron from Korean market | Righting Injustice - January 20th, 2018
- Diminished Androgen and Estrogen Receptors and Aromatase ... - January 20th, 2018
- Attention, Men: Doing This Every Day Could Lower Your ... - January 20th, 2018
- Hypogonadism - Definition, Causes, Symptoms and Treatment - January 6th, 2018
- Primary Hypogonadism VS Secondary Hypogonadism ... - January 1st, 2018
- Hypogonadism | Cleveland Clinic - December 28th, 2017
- Hypogonadism | Children's Hospital of Philadelphia - December 18th, 2017
- Male hypogonadism - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic - December 15th, 2017
- Hypogonadism Causes & Information | Cleveland Clinic - December 12th, 2017
- Hypogonadism - UCSF Medical Center - November 21st, 2017
- What is Hypogonadism? (with pictures) - November 15th, 2017
- Causes of secondary hypogonadism in males - uptodate.com - November 15th, 2017
- Induction of fertility in men with secondary hypogonadism - November 4th, 2017
- Hypogonadism Testosterone Therapy Treatment | Ageonics Medical - October 18th, 2017
- Hypogonadism, Male | ARUPConsult Lab Test Selection - October 18th, 2017
- Hypogonadism: Types, Causes, & Symptoms - healthline.com - October 13th, 2017
- Hypogonadism Information | Mount Sinai - New York - October 8th, 2017
- Low Testosterone | Hormone Health Network - October 5th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Drug Market Analysis, Share and Size, Trends ... - satPRnews (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- Jury Punishes AbbVie for False Advertising in First MDL Verdict - Legal Examiner - September 6th, 2017
- 'Bachelorette' Star Michael Nance Died From Cocaine, Heroin & Pill Overdose - Radar Online - August 31st, 2017
- Male hypogonadism - Treatment - Mayo Clinic - August 30th, 2017
- Wives of 3 of 4 patients treated for hypogonadism conceive - Times of India - August 25th, 2017
- Pipeline Landscape of Male Hypogonadism Covering Therapeutic Assessment and Drug Portfolio in 2017 - Digital Journal - August 17th, 2017
- Testosterone therapy improves sexual functions - INDIA New England - India New England - August 17th, 2017
- Lipocine resubmits NDA for LPCN 1021 in hypogonadism - The Pharma Letter (registration) - August 14th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Sales Market Research Report 2017 to 2022 - The Donohue Report - August 14th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Market Growth Forecast Analysis by ... - Green Mountain Outlook - August 14th, 2017
- Global Male Hypogonadism Market 2017 Allergan Plc., Endo International Plc., Ferring, AbbVie Inc. - DailyCommerceNews - August 10th, 2017
- Here's What Lipocine Inc. (NASDAQ:LPCN)'s Latest Announcement Means For Shareholders - Market Exclusive - August 10th, 2017
- Lipocine (LPCN) Resubmits NDA for Oral Testosterone Product Candidate, LPCN 1021, for Treatment of Hypogonadism - StreetInsider.com - August 9th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Market Research Report 2017 To 2022 - Equity Insider (press release) - August 4th, 2017
- Research details developments in the male hypogonadism - market ... - WhaTech - August 2nd, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Market Deep Research Study with Forecast by 2025 - Digital Journal - July 12th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Pipeline Report, H1 2017 - Therapeutics Review of 15 Companies & Drug Profiles - Research ... - Business Wire (press release) - July 11th, 2017
- Buy kamagra oral jelly australia - Kamagra oral jelly for sale in usa - Longboat Key News - July 6th, 2017
- Estradiol for the mitigation of adverse effects of androgen deprivation therapy. - UroToday - July 4th, 2017
- Man, 34, 'DOUBLES the size of his penis in nine months thanks to hormone injections' - The Sun - July 4th, 2017
- Hormone Treatments Helps Man's Penis DOUBLE In Size - YourTango - June 24th, 2017
- Low Testosterone Treatments | Houston TX - June 24th, 2017
- Infertility - Causes - NHS Choices - June 24th, 2017
- Nasal Testosterone Gel Shown to Normalize Androgen Levels, Improve Erectile Function & Mood in Hypogonadal Men - UroToday - June 24th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Market predicts rise in demand by 2016-2024 - People Today 24 - June 24th, 2017
- Hypogonadism in testicular cancer patients is associated with risk factors of cardiovascular disease and the ... - UroToday - June 2nd, 2017
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy May Protect Against Stroke, Heart Attack in Hypogonadism - Endocrinology Advisor - May 8th, 2017
- TRT and heart health: Conflicting findings published - ModernMedicine - March 18th, 2017
- Testosterone therapy has positive effects on anthropometric measures, metabolic syndrome components (obesity, lipid ... - UroToday - March 18th, 2017
- Efficacy and safety of testosterone replacement gel for treating hypogonadism in men: Phase III open-label studies. - UroToday - March 18th, 2017
- USADA notifies Ben Rothwell of potential anti-doping violation, putting UFC 211 status in jeopardy - MMAjunkie.com - March 8th, 2017
- Denosumab is really effective in the treatment of osteoporosis secondary to hypogonadism in prostate carcinoma ... - UroToday - March 8th, 2017
- You & Your Hormones | Endocrine conditions | Male hypogonadism - December 29th, 2016
- Hypergonadotropic hypogonadism - Wikipedia - November 25th, 2016
- Late-onset hypogonadism - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2016
- Hypogonadism No Moustache! No Beard - November 15th, 2016
- Hypogonadism - Wikipedia - October 29th, 2016
- Male hypogonadism Causes - Mayo Clinic - October 13th, 2015
- Male Hypogonadism - Cleveland Clinic - October 7th, 2015
- Hypogonadism Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes ... - October 5th, 2015
- Causes of secondary hypogonadism in males UpToDate - September 11th, 2015
- Hypogonadism | Disorders | Knowledge Base - August 26th, 2015
- Hypergonadotropic hypogonadism - Wikipedia, the free ... - July 31st, 2015
- hypogonadism | pathology | Britannica.com - July 23rd, 2015
- Low Testosterone in Men | Hypogonadism - June 18th, 2015
- Male hypogonadism: Symptoms and treatment - June 15th, 2015
- Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism - Wikipedia, the free ... - May 27th, 2015
- What is Male Hypogonadism? Learn Hormone.org's ... - May 27th, 2015
- Hypogonadism: Types, Causes, & Symptoms Healthline - May 24th, 2015
- Prevalence, Diagnosis and Treatment of Hypogonadism in ... - May 22nd, 2015