Hypogonadism (hi-po-go-na-dizm) also known as low testosterone (Low T),occurs when the body does not produce enough male sex hormones (androgen deficiency), specifically testosterone, and it can result in sexual impotence, infertility, loss of muscle mass and strength, reduction in bone density, mood changes and fat accumulation. It can develop from a testicular disorder at any age or it can result from disease, injury or drug abuse.
There are two basic types of male hypogonadism, which both result in decreases in sperm and testosterone production.
Primary hypogonadism is low testosterone due to a dysfunction or defect in the testes.
Secondary hypogonadism is low testosterone due to a dysfunction or defect in the pituitary gland or hypothalamus (the parts of the brain that signal the testicles to produce testosterone).
What is Testosterone?
Testosterone is the most important sex hormone in the male body. It is needed for masculine growth and development during puberty, and the development of male characteristics such as body and facial hair, muscle growth, strength and a deep voice. Normal levels of testosterone also influence the production of sperm, promote sexual function and sex drive. The brain and the testicles work together to keep testosterone levels within a normal range. When levels of testosterone are below normal, the brain signals the testicles to make more. When testosterone levels are too high, the brain signals for the testicles to make less.
TESTOSTERONE & AGING
The ability to produce testosterone declines as men age, resulting in a condition called hypogonadismor Low Testosterone (Low T). This loss of testosterone may lead to uncomfortable and distressing symptoms. Researchers estimate that hypogonadism affects from 2-6 million men in the United States with only 5% receiving treatment.*
Low T may affect a mans interest in sex, his ability to perform sexually and it can result in sexual impotence, infertility, loss of muscle mass and strength, reduction in bone density, mood changes and fat accumulation. Causes of Low T vary, and some men are born with the condition, while others develop it later in life. Low T is characterized by low levels of testosterone and presents such symptoms such as decreased sexual desire, erectile dysfunction, decreased energy and depression.
Its normal for a mans sex drive to slowly decline from its peak in his teens and 20s, but libido and sex drive vary widely among men and also for an individual over time. It is affected by stress, sleep, general health and opportunities for sex. Men may not recognize a problem until a partner considers it an issue or the man recognizes he cannot function sexually.
In Puberty:Hypogonadism may delay puberty or inhibit development. You may notice the following symptoms:
In Adulthood:Hypogonadismmay alter physical characteristics, cause health problems or impair reproductive function. You may notice the following symptoms.
Some men may also experience the following signs and symptoms:
CAUSES OF HYPOGONADISM IN MEN INCLUDE:
GET SCREENEDYou may want to ask your healthcare provider to check you for low testosterone levels if you experience symptoms associated with Low T. A primary care provider checks testosterone levels with a blood test to determine if you have Low T and determine if testosterone therapy is right for you. You might also ask your healthcare provider about a referral to an endocrinologist or urologist who specializes in treating Low T.
In order to get the best treatment, its important that you become a proactive partner in your healthcare. Here are some questions you can ask your healthcare provider about Low Testosterone.
If you do experience symptoms of Low Testosterone and are diagnosed by a healthcare provider, the good news is that the condition very often is treatable.
There are several FDA-approved testosterone replacement therapies, including:
Gels and SolutionsTestosterone gels and solutions are applied directly to the skin and are absorbed into the body. These generally require daily application.
PatchesPatches allow testosterone to be absorbed by the skin. Patches are applied daily, typically to the back, abdomen, upper arm or thigh.
InjectionsTestosterone injections, usually in the upper buttock, are typically given every 1-2 weeks. However, there are some long-acting injections that can be administered every 10 weeks.
Buccal TabletIn your mouth, the tablet is applied to the gum, where testosterone is absorbed over a 12-hour period. They are taken twice daily.
PelletsPellets are implanted under the skin near the hip during a surgical procedure by a healthcare provider.
REMEMBER:Regular checkups and age-appropriate screening, including low testosterone, can improve your health and extend your life.
Testosterone therapy should not be used in men with carcinoma of the breast or known or suspected carcinoma of the prostate. Geriatric patients treated with androgens may be at an increased risk for the development ofprostatic hyperplasiaand prostatic carcinoma.
To learn more about Hypogonadism visit the following pages
MedscapeCleveland ClinicMedline PlusWhat Men Should Know About Testosterone
The following professional and patient care organizations are available as resources for further information about low Testosterone and testosterone replacement therapy:
American Academy of Family Healthcare providers (AAFP)11400 Tomahawk Creek ParkwayLeawood, KS 66211913-906-6000www.aafp.org
American Osteopathic Association (AOA)142 E. Ontario St.Chicago, IL 60611-2864800-621-1773www.osteopathic.org
American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE)1000 Riverside Avenue, Suite 205Jacksonville, FL 32204904-353-7878www.aace.com
American Society for Reproductive Medicine1209 Montgomery HighwayBirmingham, AL 35216205-978-5000www.asrm.org
American Urologic Association (AUA)1000 Corporate BoulevardLinthicum, MD 21090410-689-3700www.auanet.org
The Endocrine Society8401 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 900Chevy Chase, MD 20815301-941-0200www.endo-society.org
The Hormone Foundation8401 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 900Chevy Chase, MD 20815800-HORMONEwww.hormone.org
Sexual Medicine Society of North America, Inc.1111 North Plaza Drive, Suite 550Schaumburg, IL 60173847-517-7225www.smsna.org
Continue reading here:
Hypogonadism (Low Testosterone) | Men's Health Resource Center
- Hypogonadism | California Center for Pituitary Disorders - April 13th, 2019
- hypogonadism | Definition, Causes, Symptoms, & Treatment ... - April 10th, 2019
- Male hypogonadism Disease Reference Guide - Drugs.com - March 27th, 2019
- Hypogonadism Causes + 6 Ways to Help Balance ... - Dr. Axe - March 8th, 2019
- OMIM Entry - # 241080 - WOODHOUSE-SAKATI SYNDROME - February 9th, 2019
- Hypogonadism: Treatment, Causes, Clinical Features, Prevention - December 28th, 2018
- Male hypogonadism - You and Your Hormones - November 16th, 2018
- Low Testosterone (Male Hypogonadism) | Cleveland Clinic - October 10th, 2018
- Hypogonadism? | Go Ask Alice! - October 10th, 2018
- Endo Pharmaceuticals | Hypogonadism - August 8th, 2018
- Hypogonadism disease: Malacards - Research Articles, Drugs ... - July 25th, 2018
- Hypogonadism Treatment & Management: Approach Considerations ... - March 7th, 2018
- Hypogonadism: Practice Essentials, Background, Pathophysiology - February 11th, 2018
- Talk:Kallmann syndrome - Wikipedia - January 20th, 2018
- Healthier Andropause Build to Balance - January 20th, 2018
- Lilly pulls Axiron from Korean market | Righting Injustice - January 20th, 2018
- Diminished Androgen and Estrogen Receptors and Aromatase ... - January 20th, 2018
- Attention, Men: Doing This Every Day Could Lower Your ... - January 20th, 2018
- Hypogonadism - Definition, Causes, Symptoms and Treatment - January 6th, 2018
- Primary Hypogonadism VS Secondary Hypogonadism ... - January 1st, 2018
- Hypogonadism | Cleveland Clinic - December 28th, 2017
- Hypogonadism | Children's Hospital of Philadelphia - December 18th, 2017
- Male hypogonadism - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic - December 15th, 2017
- Hypogonadism Causes & Information | Cleveland Clinic - December 12th, 2017
- Hypogonadism - UCSF Medical Center - November 21st, 2017
- What is Hypogonadism? (with pictures) - November 15th, 2017
- Causes of secondary hypogonadism in males - uptodate.com - November 15th, 2017
- Induction of fertility in men with secondary hypogonadism - November 4th, 2017
- Hypogonadism Testosterone Therapy Treatment | Ageonics Medical - October 18th, 2017
- Hypogonadism, Male | ARUPConsult Lab Test Selection - October 18th, 2017
- Hypogonadism: Types, Causes, & Symptoms - healthline.com - October 13th, 2017
- Hypogonadism Information | Mount Sinai - New York - October 8th, 2017
- Low Testosterone | Hormone Health Network - October 5th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Drug Market Analysis, Share and Size, Trends ... - satPRnews (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- Jury Punishes AbbVie for False Advertising in First MDL Verdict - Legal Examiner - September 6th, 2017
- 'Bachelorette' Star Michael Nance Died From Cocaine, Heroin & Pill Overdose - Radar Online - August 31st, 2017
- Male hypogonadism - Treatment - Mayo Clinic - August 30th, 2017
- Wives of 3 of 4 patients treated for hypogonadism conceive - Times of India - August 25th, 2017
- Pipeline Landscape of Male Hypogonadism Covering Therapeutic Assessment and Drug Portfolio in 2017 - Digital Journal - August 17th, 2017
- Testosterone therapy improves sexual functions - INDIA New England - India New England - August 17th, 2017
- Lipocine resubmits NDA for LPCN 1021 in hypogonadism - The Pharma Letter (registration) - August 14th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Sales Market Research Report 2017 to 2022 - The Donohue Report - August 14th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Market Growth Forecast Analysis by ... - Green Mountain Outlook - August 14th, 2017
- Global Male Hypogonadism Market 2017 Allergan Plc., Endo International Plc., Ferring, AbbVie Inc. - DailyCommerceNews - August 10th, 2017
- Here's What Lipocine Inc. (NASDAQ:LPCN)'s Latest Announcement Means For Shareholders - Market Exclusive - August 10th, 2017
- Lipocine (LPCN) Resubmits NDA for Oral Testosterone Product Candidate, LPCN 1021, for Treatment of Hypogonadism - StreetInsider.com - August 9th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Market Research Report 2017 To 2022 - Equity Insider (press release) - August 4th, 2017
- Research details developments in the male hypogonadism - market ... - WhaTech - August 2nd, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Market Deep Research Study with Forecast by 2025 - Digital Journal - July 12th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Pipeline Report, H1 2017 - Therapeutics Review of 15 Companies & Drug Profiles - Research ... - Business Wire (press release) - July 11th, 2017
- Buy kamagra oral jelly australia - Kamagra oral jelly for sale in usa - Longboat Key News - July 6th, 2017
- Estradiol for the mitigation of adverse effects of androgen deprivation therapy. - UroToday - July 4th, 2017
- Man, 34, 'DOUBLES the size of his penis in nine months thanks to hormone injections' - The Sun - July 4th, 2017
- Hormone Treatments Helps Man's Penis DOUBLE In Size - YourTango - June 24th, 2017
- Low Testosterone Treatments | Houston TX - June 24th, 2017
- Infertility - Causes - NHS Choices - June 24th, 2017
- Nasal Testosterone Gel Shown to Normalize Androgen Levels, Improve Erectile Function & Mood in Hypogonadal Men - UroToday - June 24th, 2017
- Male Hypogonadism Market predicts rise in demand by 2016-2024 - People Today 24 - June 24th, 2017
- Hypogonadism in testicular cancer patients is associated with risk factors of cardiovascular disease and the ... - UroToday - June 2nd, 2017
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy May Protect Against Stroke, Heart Attack in Hypogonadism - Endocrinology Advisor - May 8th, 2017
- TRT and heart health: Conflicting findings published - ModernMedicine - March 18th, 2017
- Testosterone therapy has positive effects on anthropometric measures, metabolic syndrome components (obesity, lipid ... - UroToday - March 18th, 2017
- Efficacy and safety of testosterone replacement gel for treating hypogonadism in men: Phase III open-label studies. - UroToday - March 18th, 2017
- USADA notifies Ben Rothwell of potential anti-doping violation, putting UFC 211 status in jeopardy - MMAjunkie.com - March 8th, 2017
- Denosumab is really effective in the treatment of osteoporosis secondary to hypogonadism in prostate carcinoma ... - UroToday - March 8th, 2017
- You & Your Hormones | Endocrine conditions | Male hypogonadism - December 29th, 2016
- Hypergonadotropic hypogonadism - Wikipedia - November 25th, 2016
- Late-onset hypogonadism - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2016
- Hypogonadism No Moustache! No Beard - November 15th, 2016
- Hypogonadism - Wikipedia - October 29th, 2016
- Male hypogonadism Causes - Mayo Clinic - October 13th, 2015
- Male Hypogonadism - Cleveland Clinic - October 7th, 2015
- Hypogonadism Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes ... - October 5th, 2015
- Causes of secondary hypogonadism in males UpToDate - September 11th, 2015
- Hypogonadism | Disorders | Knowledge Base - August 26th, 2015
- Hypergonadotropic hypogonadism - Wikipedia, the free ... - July 31st, 2015
- hypogonadism | pathology | Britannica.com - July 23rd, 2015
- Low Testosterone in Men | Hypogonadism - June 18th, 2015
- Male hypogonadism: Symptoms and treatment - June 15th, 2015
- Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism - Wikipedia, the free ... - May 27th, 2015