Weight management is a buzz term we often hear in news reports, research studies and articles. The concept of weight management, although it is intended to be more about balancing a wide range of factors, sounds much more like the focus is on just that — weight and controlling the number on the scale.
In reality, weight management is less about what the scale says and more about how we are working (or struggling) to bring about a balance that results in successful lifestyle management. In other words, its not about an isolated number on a scale. While that number can provide some initial information, it is a single piece to a much larger and more complicated puzzle. In absence of other important pieces of information, the number on the scale defines this: our individual relationship with the Earths gravitational pull. I dont know about you, but to me, that isnt enough to define health or happiness or contentment.
Instead, lets start thinking about our individual lives through a holistic and comprehensive view. This means examining all factors that can influence personal health and well-being, and many of these factors are much more difficult to quantify. For example, acute and chronic stress levels, quality of sleep and environmental and psychosocial factors are not directly measurable. They require more of a qualitative investigation.
The quantifiable pieces of information are easy to obtain a quick trip the doctors office will include measurements such as height, weight, blood pressure and resting heart rate. While these are all critical pieces to the health puzzle, they do not reflect the root causes (i.e., high cortisol levels, poor sleep, depression, imbalanced biochemistry, etc.) of elevated or abnormal numbers. This is where you can begin thinking about the answers to questions like the following:
1. How is your sleep? Tell me how many hours of sleep you get (on average a night) and how rested you feel upon waking.
2. Whats your physical activity level like? How active are you throughout the work day?
3. Whats your work or home environment like? How often do you experience high levels of stress?
4. Have you had a body composition test performed to evaluate your body fat percentage as it relates to your lean mass?
5. How often do you take time for you to engage in a hobby or a joyful activity?
Its unlikely this entire conversation will take place in a physicians office, but the more information you gather, the greater likelihood you will have of solving whatever ailments youre experiencing. The point is this: Know the numbers, but also search for possible contributing factors and take the focus off the scale.
You can start by examining your own lifestyle inventory by paying closer attention to sleep, hydration levels, mood/emotional well-being, stress, overall quality of food intake (i.e., too much sugar or too little protein), energy levels (this is related to not only sleep and exercise but food and hormones), and how often you engage in an activity or hobby that you enjoy and that provides a sense of peace and renewal.
Theres no one right way to examine lifestyle. Choose a method that works with you and, most important, doesnt cause additional stress or anxiety. A simple journal can help uncover certain patterns and areas in need of attention as well as areas that are balanced.
Evaluating quality of life and optimal levels of health involves more than numbers and categories. Its about achieving balance, and in order to achieve balance, we have to know what areas of daily life are out of sync. Managing lifestyle factors will ultimately result in a healthy harmony we all wish to experience.
Erin Nitschke is a health and human performance educator, NSCA-CPT and ACE Health Coach. She can be reached at email@example.com.
Go here to read the rest:
Health Bites: A lifestyle approach to health – Casper Star-Tribune Online
- North Carolina Weight & Wellness: Obesity Medicine ... - January 14th, 2019
- Weight Management Center | Wake Forest Baptist Health - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management | University of Maryland Medical Center - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management Program | NYU Langone Health - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management | Office of Work-Life at Columbia University - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Loss Centers in Washington - Yelp - December 23rd, 2018
- Delta Medical Weight Management Center - dmwmc.com - October 30th, 2018
- Weight Management for Your Life: Ten Steps to Prepare You ... - September 29th, 2018
- Weight Loss Management Center at UWMC - Roosevelt | UW ... - September 28th, 2018
- Weight Loss | Washington University Physicians - September 28th, 2018
- Weight Management Resources - Verywell Fit - September 28th, 2018
- Plainfield NJ Family Physician Doctors - Weight Management ... - August 30th, 2018
- Weight Loss Specialist | Weight Loss Coach | ACE - August 20th, 2018
- SmartFitWeightLoss.com - August 5th, 2018
- Weight Management Olympia Compounding Pharmacy - April 6th, 2018
- Medical Weight Loss Clinic | Medical Weight Management ... - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management | Reading Hospital - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management Louisville, Kentucky (KY), Norton Healthcare - March 13th, 2018
- Center for Weight & Wellness - Lifespan - March 13th, 2018
- MUSC Health Weight Management Center | Charleston SC - February 27th, 2018
- Weight Management - County of Sonoma, California - February 5th, 2018
- Weight Management - dTERRA Product Line | dTERRA ... - February 5th, 2018
- Weight Management Program - NYP.org - January 3rd, 2018
- Weight Management Resources - Verywell - December 28th, 2017
- Weight Management-Topic Overview - WebMD - December 1st, 2017
- The Institute for Weight Management - Hackensack, NJ - November 10th, 2017
- How Avocado Can Help with Weight Management - October 13th, 2017
- Weight Management | Compounding Pharmacy - Absolute Pharmacy - September 20th, 2017
- Can ventolin inhaler cause weight loss - Ventolin expectorant capsule price philippines - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Veterans' lives, health honored at wellness event in Butler - New Castle News - August 27th, 2017
- Healthy eating the best way to lose weight - Tahlequah Daily Press - August 27th, 2017
- Weight-loss firm makes apparent Stamford exit - The Advocate - August 27th, 2017
- The Role of Body Composition in Weight Management - Natural Products INSIDER - August 24th, 2017
- Get fit: The 5 best exercises for fat loss - Daily Commercial - August 24th, 2017
- Reimagining the Weight Loss Category - Natural Products INSIDER - August 24th, 2017
- These Are The Best Foods For Weight Loss - Huffington Post Australia - August 24th, 2017
- 5 local resources to help control diabetes - Twin Falls Times-News - August 20th, 2017
- Weight not a factor as energy dense foods appear to up cancer risk - FoodNavigator.com - August 18th, 2017
- Infrared Sauna Benefits Include Pain Management, Weight Loss - Metro US - August 18th, 2017
- The best exercise for weight loss, according to science - NEWS.com.au - August 13th, 2017
- Family Health News Has Positive Experience at Weight ... - Benzinga - Benzinga - August 11th, 2017
- Lifestyle-modification programs for weight management in Arab states lack in effectiveness - Medical Xpress - August 10th, 2017
- Exercise as a Weight-Loss Strategy - New York Times - August 9th, 2017
- Research Behind Top Weight Management Ingredients - Natural Products INSIDER - August 9th, 2017
- Lifestyle-modification programs for weight management in Arab states lack in effectiveness - Gears Of Biz - August 9th, 2017
- Diet Soda Linked to Weight Gain, Not Weight Loss - Olive Oil Times - Olive Oil Times - August 9th, 2017
- The 15-Minute Cardio Workout Perfect for Beginners Trying to Lose Weight - Shape Magazine - August 9th, 2017
- Weight Management Supplements | eBay - August 7th, 2017
- An easy, healthy way to control your weight - Thegardenisland.com - August 7th, 2017
- Newly Published Study Shows Supplementation Of Capsicum Extract Helps Increase Metabolic Rate - Markets Insider - August 7th, 2017
- Elicina Participates in Successful Weight Management, Sports ... - Benzinga - August 3rd, 2017
- Ask a Specialist: How Weight Loss Surgery Can Treat Type 2 Diabetes - KHON2 - August 3rd, 2017
- Diet Doc Offers Customized Weight Loss Solutions Amid Mediterranean Diet Doubts - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 3rd, 2017
- UFC willing to add new ABC weight classes 'when the time is right' - MMAmania.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Asthma inhaler weight loss - Ipratropium bromide and albuterol sulfate side effects - Van Wert independent - July 11th, 2017
- Weight Management Clinic Scarborough - Weight Management ... - July 7th, 2017
- Conversation Cards a Useful Tool in Pediatric Weight Management - Newswise (press release) - July 7th, 2017
- 7 ways to follow a low-carb diet the right way - Today.com - July 7th, 2017
- Apple Cider Vinegar Weight Loss - ACV Weight Loss - Woman's Day - WomansDay.com (blog) - July 6th, 2017
- Nolvadex for steroid users - Diabex side effects weight loss - Longboat Key News - July 6th, 2017
- VIVUS Settles with Teva on Weight Management Drug Generic - Zacks.com - July 6th, 2017
- Weight Management Ingredients - Natural Products INSIDER - July 5th, 2017
- Acai berry cancer - Acai berry weight loss cleanse - Antioch Herald - July 4th, 2017
- The Role of Meal Replacements in Weight Loss - TAPinto.net - July 4th, 2017
- Why Big Pharma Is Struggling to Profit From the Obesity Epidemic - Bloomberg - July 4th, 2017
- Dr. Steven Edelman Part 6, Type 2 Diabetes and Weight Management - Diabetes In Control - July 2nd, 2017
- 7 Lifestyle Changes That Can Affect Your Weight Management Goals - South Florida Reporter - July 2nd, 2017
- Medically Managed Weight Loss: A Nonsurgical Approach to a ... - Newswise (press release) - June 29th, 2017
- EnteroMedics Announces Affordable vBloc Therapy Program for Weight Loss Patients - PR Newswire (press release) - June 28th, 2017
- Does dieting or fitness trackers work better for weight loss - Bangor Daily News - June 28th, 2017
- Global Weight Management Market Size Is Expected To Reach USD 314.7 Bn By 2024 - Technorati - June 27th, 2017
- How Do You Lose Weight With Jenny Craig? A Dietitian Explains - POPSUGAR - June 27th, 2017
- 'Short term' weight control approaches call for new interventions ... - FoodNavigator.com - June 27th, 2017
- Meal Prepping May Actually Be Sabotaging Your Diet - HuffPost - June 27th, 2017
- Think positive attitude for great fitness and weight loss results - Shawnee News Star - June 25th, 2017
- Follow These 9 Simple Steps To Set Yourself Up For Weight-Loss Success - Women's Health - June 24th, 2017
- 'Keto' diet good for quick weight loss, but caution advised - Theadanews - June 24th, 2017
- 'Keto' diet good for quick weight loss, but caution advised - Tahlequah Daily Press - June 22nd, 2017
- Weight Management | Summit Health - June 22nd, 2017
- Weight Management - prochange.com - June 22nd, 2017