The HCG Diet What is it?
The HCG Diet, which was first described by Dr. A.T. W. Simeons in 1954, is comprised of a very low-calorie diet (500 calories/day) combined with HCG hormone injections over an 8 week period. HCG is human chorionic gonadotropin. It is the hormone that is tested for in pregnancy and is commonly prescribed for infertility.
Multiple double-blind studies (1, 2) on the effects of HCG on weight loss have been published since Dr. Simeons wrote his book describing the HCG Diet. All of the studies have the same conclusion. The weight loss that occurs with the HCG Diet is solely because of calorie restrictions and has nothing to do with the HCG hormone. It stands to reason that anyone who restricts their intake to 500 calories/day for an extended period of time is going to lose weight. However, it is the opinion of most bariatric physicians that this caloric intake is not safe.
Because no legitimate studies have shown that the HCG hormone to affect weight loss, it is not approved for weight loss by the FDA. Though it is legal for a doctor to prescribe HCG off-label, in most states it is a violation to advertise a drug for an off-label use. In Texas, it is not legal to advertise HCG for weight loss.
At Houston Weight Loss and Lipo Centers, we only use FDA approved appetite suppressants, such as phentermine, in our medical weight loss program.
Most low-calorie diets prescribed by weight loss specialists have a minimum of 1000 calories/day. Eating a balanced diet of 1000 calories per day gives most persons an adequate amount of the recommended daily allowances of vitamins and nutrients. In certain cases, bariatric physicians recommend below 1000 calories per day. These diets are called very low-calorie diets or VLCDs. The most common VLCD is 800 calorie per day and is administered with specially formulated shakes. These shakes meet the recommended daily allowances of essential vitamins and nutrients. Trying to meet the recommended daily allowances eating regular food (without using these special shakes) is difficult and usually leaves a patient vitamin and protein deficient. Protein deficiency this can lead to muscle wasting which could lower your BMR and actually make it more difficult to maintain your weight in the future.
Furthermore, 500 calories per day is not sustainable. Those who specialize in weight management know that the key to long-term success is permanent diet and lifestyle changes. Changes like always choosing good carbs over high glycemic carbs. Or always trying to walk for 30 minutes after dinner. These are sustainable changes one could make in their way of life. No person can implement a 500 calorie per day diet into their lifestyle long term. As mentioned above, even doing this short term is not a good idea.
Most clinics that prescribe the HCG Diet tell their patients that they will be able to keep the weight off because HCG resets your metabolism. There is absolutely no scientific evidence of this. If this were true, all a person would have to do is come in for their HCG shot on a regular basis and they would lose weight. The truth is if any resetting of metabolism is going on, the 500 calorie/day diet is actually lowering the metabolic rate because your body is going into starvation mode.
Many patients also are buying homeopathic HCG over the internet. These substances have little or no HCG in them and even if they did would have no effect on weight loss. The websites selling these homeopathic HCG hormones are scams. It is not legal to sell any form HCG or HCG hormone stimulator over the counter.
At Houston Weight Loss and Lipo Centers, we use only FDA approved appetite suppressants along with low-calorie diets. Our goal is always to help our patients lose weight safely and lose weight fast. We are also dedicated to teaching our patients permanent lifestyle changes that can be made to help them keep the weight off.
Call the Houston Weight Loss Centers Now for a complimentary consultation!* 713-225-9355
To better help you with the registration and check-in process, we have uploaded forms and directions to our offices. Please download and fill out your personal health history before your first appointment.
*Individual Results May Vary
Read more from the original source:
HCG Diet | Houston Weight Loss Clinic
- HCG Diet Success Program - Lose 30-40 Lbs in Next 40 Days - December 29th, 2018
- HCG diet Coach - hCG Protocol | hCG Weight Loss - November 1st, 2018
- SAUNA-HCG Diet Indy & Weight Lose Fast - Supervision ... - July 23rd, 2018
- HCG Diet - Rapid Weight Loss Centers - May 13th, 2018
- Best HCG Drops Reviews 2018 Updated - Safe Weight Loss ... - April 28th, 2018
- HCG Diet Weight Loss Center in Everett Washington - Everett HCG Diet ... - April 11th, 2018
- 5 Best Selling HCG Diet Drops For Weight Loss: Buy The ... - April 6th, 2018
- HCG Diet Drops - HCG Diet - March 30th, 2018
- 156 HCG Diet Recipes for Maximum Weight Loss - HCG Diet - March 20th, 2018
- hCG Diet Information - Johannesburg Based Diet Weight Loss ... - February 15th, 2018
- Medical Weight Loss - Hormone Replacement Therapy and HCG ... - February 15th, 2018
- Hickory Weight Loss Medical Weight Loss using HCG ... - January 29th, 2018
- HCG Diet - Weight Loss | Body Solutions Rx Weight Loss ... - January 8th, 2018
- Everett HCG Diet | HCG Diet Weight Loss Center in Everett ... - December 25th, 2017
- hCG for Weight Loss Hendersonville TN, HCG Diet, HCG ... - December 22nd, 2017
- HCG Diet Program | Weight Loss Wilmington NC | Metro MediSpa - December 22nd, 2017
- 500 Cal diet w/HCG verses 500 Cal diet without - Weight ... - November 18th, 2017
- Hcg Diet Info - The Hcg Diet Plan Authority - Hcg Diet for ... - November 13th, 2017
- The hCG Diet Plan Dangers and Misleading Weight Loss ... - November 8th, 2017
- HCG Diet Virginia | Physician Supervised Weight Loss - October 24th, 2017
- Weight Loss Hendersonville TN, HCG Diet, Anti Aging, Diet ... - October 17th, 2017
- Review of HCG for Weight Loss: Injections and Drops - October 13th, 2017
- What is Hyperemesis Gravidarum? - Ahmedabad Mirror - September 6th, 2017
- HCG Diet Drops For Weight Loss : Everything You Should ... - September 4th, 2017
- What is hyperemesis gravidarum? Pregnant Kate Middleton again suffering rare severe morning sickness condition - Mirror.co.uk - September 4th, 2017
- The hCG Diet helped this woman lose 85 pounds, but this inspired her to keep the weight off - Yahoo Health - September 2nd, 2017
- weight loss program - Shape Magazine: Diet, fitness and ... - August 25th, 2017
- Ageless Wellness utilizes unique Ideal Protein protocol for weight loss - The Citizen.com - August 18th, 2017
- hCG Diet | hCG Protocol | hCG Weight Loss | hCG Diet ... - August 14th, 2017
- All-day morning sickness - Jamaica Observer - August 4th, 2017
- Effect of drugs on the brain ppt - Creatine kinase total serum high - The Maravi Post - July 31st, 2017
- 'There's nothing more annoying than a friend on a diet' - 9Honey - July 31st, 2017
- HCG Drops Review | (UPDATED) Diet Drops an Answer to ... - July 9th, 2017