Obesity and its related diseases are among todays most visible yet most neglected public health problems in Western countries. And rapid urbanisation in Asian countries and the adoption of Western lifestyles are setting the stage for an Asian obesity epidemic, too.
A behavioural risk factor survey conducted by Hong Kongs Centre for Health Protection in April showed that 38.8 per cent of the population aged from 18 to 64 were classified as being overweight or obese, with 20.7 per cent obese. More men (48.2 per cent) than women (30.5 per cent) were classified as overweight or obese. Nearly one in two Hongkongers aged 55 to 64 were overweight or obese.
According to the World Health Organisation, being overweight or obese can cause adverse effects on blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides and insulin resistance, all of which can increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases, type 2 diabetes, and cancer.
Mortality rates increase with weight, as measured by body mass index (BMI, a measure of weight relative to height kg/m2). For Chinese adults in Hong Kong, a BMI from 23kg/m2 to 25kg/m2 is classified as overweight and 25kg/m2 or above is classified as obese. This is caused by a combination of increased availability, bigger portions, and more high-calorie foods.
So what can you do to reduce your risk of developing obesity related diseases?
Your weight depends on the number of calories you consume, how many you store, and how many you burn up. These factors are influenced by a combination of genes and the environment. Your metabolism and your food choices have an impact on your physiology. It is crucial that you make healthy lifestyle changes to help achieve and maintain your ideal weight.
While physical activity is important for your weight, mood and overall well-being, it might not always result in rapid weight loss. A successful change to your diet might.
In my experience as a nutritionist, dietary changes are especially important at the beginning of any new weight-loss plan. Some clients who dedicate hours to exercising each day sometimes get discouraged when the weight doesnt fall off.
A formerly overweight client managed to lose weight, keep it off and most importantly feel transformed with improved energy and mood by following a tailor-made, reduced-calorie meal plan consisting mainly of the key components suggested below.
By eliminating refined carbohydrates, sugar and gluten, she was able to pinpoint which foods got in the way of losing weight, and understand how certain foods affected her, physically and emotionally. Digestive issues such as bloating and constipation no longer affect her daily activities.
Focus on making gradual changes to your diet, such as eating more phytonutrient-rich vegetables, skipping calorific late-night snacks, and cutting back on refined carbohydrates.
You may have heard it many times eat lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein. The real challenge is changing your habits to make those healthy choices part of your everyday routine without feeling deprived or depressed.
Here are four practical dietary tips to shed weight while staying satisfied.
Eat your omega 3s
Not all fats are bad for you. While you should limit saturated and trans fats, unsaturated fats such as polyunsaturated omega 3 fats are healthy in moderation. Including small amounts of these fats as part of a reduced-calorie diet may help make your meals more satisfying and make losing weight easier, according to a study published in Appetite.
A review article published in Nutrients also noted that omega 3 fats might help with weight loss by reducing appetite and increasing fat burning, especially when combined with a reduced-calorie diet and exercise. Omega 3 fat is commonly found in fish such as mackerel, salmon, ocean trout and sardines. It can also be found in nuts and seeds, some of the best sources being flaxseeds and walnuts. Grab a nutty smoothie after your workout for a quick dose of waistline-friendly omega 3.
Load up on Vitamin B
B vitamins such as folate, vitamins B6 and B12 play an important role in helping your body metabolise nutrients (namely carbohydrates, protein and fat), converting the food you eat into energy, and helping with appetite control, which may be beneficial for weight loss.
Whole grains, poultry, eggs, beans and leafy greens are good sources of B vitamins. These foods are also generally lower in calories.
Good food, good mood
Microorganisms found in yogurt and other cultured foods such as miso, tempeh and fermented vegetables may help your bodys bacterial environment inside and out, thereby improving your digestion and absorption of food and nutrients, consequently assisting in weight loss.
Opt for protein-rich Greek yogurt, which helps you feel fuller longer and boosts your bodys energy expenditure. A healthy gut is key to your mood, as the gastrointestinal tract can activate neural pathways and central nervous system signalling systems in the brain.
Slow down and savour each bite
With hectic schedules, most time-poor Hongkongers eat way too quickly, and consume too many calories before realising we have eaten more than enough to satisfy our hunger. It takes about 20 minutes for the Im full signal sent by the gut hormones and stretch receptors in your stomach to reach your brain.
A feeling of fullness translates into eating less, thereby helping shed unwanted weight. Try stretching out your mealtimes by chewing a little longer than usual, putting down your fork or chopsticks between each bite, and taking small sips of water.
Not only does eating slowly and mindfully help you eat less, it also enhances the pleasure of the dining experience.
Michelle Lau is a certified nutritionist and nutrition educator, and the founder of Nutrilicious (facebook.com/nutriliciousss), a Hong Kong-based nutrition consultancy company
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet | VegNews - April 26th, 2019
- 4 Tips For Losing Weight as You Age | Weight Loss ... - February 26th, 2019
- 6 tips for losing weight when you have diabetes | Best ... - September 20th, 2018
- The 3 Best Tips to Lose Weight - Verywell Fit - September 7th, 2018
- 13 Tips For Losing Weight Without Going Broke | MyFitnessPal - June 3rd, 2018
- Tips For Losing Weight - theonion.com - November 13th, 2017
- Frankie Essex shares her top five tips for losing weight and reveals ditching ketchup helped her lose two stone - The Sun - August 28th, 2017
- After being embarrassed on a flight, this woman lost 100 pounds - Today.com - August 4th, 2017
- 16 Tips for Losing Weight with PCOS - Erika Volk Fitness - July 31st, 2017
- 14 Weird Ways to Lose Weight Without Exercising That Actually Work - KDRV - June 14th, 2017
- Lena Dunham Writes Very Lena Dunham Tips for Losing Weight - StyleCaster - May 8th, 2017
- Expert tips on kickstarting weight loss - NEWS.com.au - April 15th, 2017
- Top 10 Tips For Losing Weight - Eastern Daily News - February 21st, 2017
- 5 Tips for Losing Weight - Real Simple - December 25th, 2016
- Tips for losing weight healthily | Eat For Health - November 28th, 2016
- 1000+ ideas about Losing Weight Tips on Pinterest | Weight ... - November 21st, 2016
- 5 Tips for Losing Weight Fast - YouTube - November 4th, 2015
- Anorexia Tips for Losing Weight Fast By Pro Ana Tips ... - October 22nd, 2015
- Easy Tips for Losing Weight and Changing Diet - October 13th, 2015
- 10 Tips for Losing Weight While Breastfeeding - YouTube - October 13th, 2015
- 9 Simple Tips for Losing Weight After 50 - Video - April 22nd, 2015
- WOMEN WEIGHT LOSS NUTRITION TIPS - Video - April 10th, 2015
- WOMEN WEIGHT LOSS, RECOVERY, SUPPLEMENTS WB - Video - April 10th, 2015
- How to lose weight fast healthy tips for losing weight! - Video - April 2nd, 2015
- How to lose weight fast tips for losing weight in a week! - Video - April 2nd, 2015
- Green tea best tips for losing weight! - Video - April 2nd, 2015
- Weight Loss Tips - My Top 3 Tips For Losing Weight Fast - Video - March 31st, 2015
- 6 Tips For Losing Weight That Men Over 40 Should Know! | Men Over 50 - Video - March 31st, 2015
- Green tea tips for losing weight! - Video - March 31st, 2015
- The 3 Week Diet Plan Review - Video - March 24th, 2015
- Top Five Tips For Losing Weight Fast - Video - March 23rd, 2015
- 3 Tips For Losing Weight and Gaining Lean Muscle - Video - March 19th, 2015
- 6 Tips For Losing Weight Fast - For Men Over 40! | Men Over 50 - Video - March 18th, 2015
- Tips for losing weight and getting fit - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Healthy Eating Tips for Losing Weight Eat more starchy foods & Eat plenty of fruit and veggies - Video - February 18th, 2015
- Healthy Eating Tips for Losing Weight Eat breakfast, Drink plenty of water & Cut out alcohol - Video - February 14th, 2015
- Healthy Eating Tips for Losing Weight Eat plenty of fish & Cut down on the salt - Video - February 14th, 2015
- Fat Torching Cardio, Best Exercise To Lose Weight, Exercise To Lose Weight, Tips For Losing Weight - Video - February 6th, 2015
- Tips To Lose Weight - Tips For Losing Weight Fast - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Tips for losing weight A Beginner's Guide to Online Diet Programs - Video - January 22nd, 2015
- Day 7: 22 Days to a Healthier YOU! - Video - January 14th, 2015
- Day 3: 22 Days to a Healthier YOU! - Video - January 7th, 2015
- Day 2: 22 Days to a Healthier YOU! - Video - January 6th, 2015
- Tips For Losing Weight This Winter Part 2 - Video - January 2nd, 2015
- 10 Tips For Losing Weight This Winter part 1 - Video - January 1st, 2015
- 100 Best Tips For Losing Weight - Video - December 30th, 2014
- Tips For Losing Weight And Introduction To IIFYM - Video - December 15th, 2014
- Fitness And Food Tips For Losing Weight And Feeling Great! - Video - December 7th, 2014
- Fitness And Food Tips For Losing Weight And Feeling Great! JJ VIrgin - Video - December 7th, 2014
- Tips for losing weight fast. Quickest way to lose weight in a week - Video - December 5th, 2014
- Benefits of Pomegranate - Video - November 15th, 2014
- benefits of Arugula - Video - November 15th, 2014
- Diet lemon peel to lose weight - Video - November 15th, 2014
- 3 tips for losing weight & taking care of yourself after babies. - Video - November 3rd, 2014
- Good Tips for Losing Weight From Limes - Video - November 2nd, 2014
- Tips for Losing Weight (Part 1) - Video - October 3rd, 2014
- how to lose weight fast for women, how to lose 5 pounds in 10 days, losing weight fast, CLICK BELOW - Video - September 29th, 2014
- 30 Day Weight Loss Challenge Aug | 10 Tips For Losing Weight - Video - August 10th, 2014
- Dr Oz Tips For Losing Weight Quickly Using Garcinia Cambogia Supplements - Video - July 7th, 2014
- best tips for losing weight Guide - Video - July 6th, 2014
- top tips for losing weight Guide - Video - July 6th, 2014
- top tips for losing weight Tips - Video - July 6th, 2014
- 9 Tips for Losing Weight by Power Walking - Video - June 14th, 2014
- Top 5 Fitness Myths - Best Tips for Losing Weight for Good - Staying Fit While Traveling - Video - June 1st, 2014
- 5 Easy Tips for Losing Weight - How To Lose Weight Fast For Women - Video - May 26th, 2014
- Listening to your body! Tips for losing weight. - Video - April 29th, 2014
- Diet tips for losing weight - Video - April 10th, 2014
- Dian Thomas talks Johnny Carson, her dramatic weight loss - Video - April 10th, 2014
- 6 WEEK WEIGH IN RESULTS! Weight Loss Vlog With TIPS FOR LOSING WEIGHT! ride2health - Video - March 3rd, 2014
- 3 Simple Tips For Losing Weight - Video - January 29th, 2014
- GCN's Top Ten Ways To Lose Weight Through Cycling - Video - January 15th, 2014
- 5 Tips for Losing weight/Staying healthy in college - Video - January 11th, 2014
- 3 Tips for Losing Weight During the Holidays and Gift Ideas - Hitch Fit - Video - December 17th, 2013
- Diet Tips for Losing Weight Fast Part 1 - Video - December 16th, 2013
- Honolulu HI 96826 The Dr's Choice Protocol (Tips For Losing Weight) - Video - October 13th, 2013
- See now good diet tips for losing weight - Video - October 13th, 2013
- Tips For Losing Weight The Dr's Choice Weight Loss Diet Hawwaii has Tips For Losing Weight - Video - October 13th, 2013
- See now diet tips for losing weight fast - Video - October 12th, 2013
- See now diet tips for losing weight - Video - October 11th, 2013
- Confession: I've Gained Weight | Tips for Losing Weight | Weight Loss Tips - Video - September 26th, 2013