By Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC
Yes! Nursing mothers can lose weight safely if they follow some basic guidelines.
Wait until your baby is two months old before dietingIts best not to do anything consciously to lose weight until after the second month. This gives your body enough time to successfully establish a healthy milk supply that is less likely to be adversely affected if your caloric intake is restricted. Breastfeeding your baby, on average, burns 200-500 calories per day (above what you needed to maintain your pre-pregnancy weight) so keep in mind that even without a weight loss program you are burning extra calories.
Breastfeed without restrictionResearch tells us that both more frequent breastfeeding and breastfeeding longer than six months increases maternal weight loss.
Eat at least 1500-1800 calories per dayWhile nursing, you should not consume less than 1500-1800 calories per day, and most women should stay at the high end of this range. Some mothers will require much more than this, but studies show that going below this number may put supply at risk.
Keep weight loss at less than 1.5 pounds per weekMost moms can safely lose up to 1.5 pounds per week or 6 pounds per month after the second month and not affect milk supply or babys well being. One study has suggested that short-term weight loss of 2.2 pounds (1 kg) per week is not a problem (in this study, moms dieted for 11 days).
Decrease the calories graduallyA sudden drop in calories can reduce milk supply. Some moms notice this during an illness, although dehydration and/or medication use could also be a factor in reduced milk supply when mom is sick. It has been hypothesized that a sudden calorie decrease can cause moms body to go into starvation mode and cut nonessential resources such as milk production.
Avoid quick-fix solutionsLiquid diets, low-carb diets, fad diets, weight loss medication, etc. are not recommended while breastfeeding.
Make dietary changes decrease your fat intake to 20-25% or less of total calories; keep your protein intake up to prevent loss of muscle mass (Recommended Intake of protein for nursing mothers is 65 grams/day for the first 6 months and 62 grams/day between 6 and 12 months).
Spread your calorie intake out instead of 2-3 meals, eat 3 smaller meals with snacks between. Your body will be less likely to go into starvation mode if you are eating small amounts throughout the day.
Exercise moderately so that you burn more fat while keeping lean muscle mass. Resistance/weight training is a good way to build muscle mass. A person with more muscle mass burns more calories, even when resting.
Weight Watchers and Body for Life are generally considered to be fine for breastfeeding mothers. Weight Watchers has a program specifically aimed at nursing mothers. As always, avoid cutting calories too abruptly or losing weight too quickly.
See Low carb diets and breastfeeding.
See Herbal weight loss products and breastfeeding.
@ other websites
Lovelady CA, et al. Weight change during lactation does not alter the concentrations of chlorinated organic contaminants in breast milk of women with low exposure. J Hum Lact 1999 Dec;15(4):307-15. The results of this study suggest that moderate weight loss (4.1 kg/9 lbs between 4 and 20 weeks postpartum) in lactating women with low exposure to environmental contaminants does not increase contaminant concentration in breast milk.
McCrory MA. Does dieting during lactation put infant growth at risk? Nutr Rev 2001 Jan;59(1 Pt 1):18-21. For some women, postpartum retention of weight gained during pregnancy may contribute to obesity. A recent 10-week randomized intervention showed that infants of initially overweight, lactating mothers who exercised and dieted to lose an average of 0.5 kg/week grew normally.
Lovelady CA, et al. The effect of weight loss in overweight, lactating women on the growth of their infants. N Engl J Med 2000 Feb 17;342(7):449-53. This study found that weight loss of approximately 0.5 kg (1.1 pound) per week between 4 and 14 weeks post partum in overweight women who are exclusively breast-feeding does not affect the growth of their infants.
McCrory MA, et al. Randomized trial of the short-term effects of dieting compared with dieting plus aerobic exercise on lactation performance (link is to full article). Am J Clin Nutr 1999 May;69(5):959-67. This study found that short-term weight loss (approximately 1 kg/2.2 pounds per week) through a combination of dieting and aerobic exercise appears safe for breast-feeding mothers and is preferable to weight loss achieved primarily by dieting because the latter reduces maternal lean body mass. Longer-term studies are needed to confirm these findings.
Dewey KG. Effects of maternal caloric restriction and exercise during lactation (link is to full article). J Nutr 1998 Feb;128(2 Suppl):386S-389S. Studies suggest that, for women who are not underweight initially, lactation is not adversely affected by moderate rates of weight loss (no more than 2 kg/4.4 pounds per month) achieved by either caloric restriction or exercise. A short period of more rapid weight loss is not harmful to lactation. It is unknown, however, whether there are risks associated with longer periods of rapid weight loss.
Journal search on dieting and exercise during lactation
Read more from the original source:
Can I diet while breastfeeding? KellyMom.com
- The truth behind the most popular diet trends of the ... - July 27th, 2019
- Is the ketogenic diet safe for diabetics? ( ... - July 25th, 2019
- Ketosis for Seniors: What Should You Know? - Perfect Keto - July 22nd, 2019
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? How to Avoid Common Issues - June 21st, 2019
- drbdiet.com - Bernstein Diet & Health Clinics - May 21st, 2019
- What Is the Keto Diet (and Should You Try It)? Health ... - May 21st, 2019
- Calcium: An Important Mineral For Women - Women's Health - May 21st, 2019
- Beyonce Diet aka The Master Cleanse or Lemonade Diet - May 16th, 2019
- What should I feed my backyard chickens? RSPCA Knowledgebase - May 16th, 2019
- Eating a Plant-Based Diet: Safely Going Vegan | Nerd Fitness - April 25th, 2019
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe Long Term? Potential Dangers to ... - March 31st, 2019
- Weight loss: Choosing a diet that's right for you - Mayo ... - March 30th, 2019
- Ketogenic Diet Benefits (& How to Do It Right) | Wellness Mama - March 12th, 2019
- Are low carb diets safe to follow? | All Natural Ideas - March 12th, 2019
- Find Out How to Diet Safely - Food Without Fire - March 9th, 2019
- Keto Diet for Women: Food List & Tips to Overcome Side ... - March 8th, 2019
- 11 Fruits can you Eat Safely in a Ketogenic Diet - Cool ... - March 7th, 2019
- HCG Diet | HCG Drops | HCG Diet Information | Your HCG - March 6th, 2019
- All About Cat Diets How and Why to Put Your Cat on a ... - February 12th, 2019
- Foods You Can Safely Eat Past The Due Dates | ActiveBeat - January 28th, 2019
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe for People with Diabetes? - Dr ... - December 20th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? 4 Potential Dangers to Be Aware Of ... - December 19th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Really Safe? - thedailymeal.com - December 19th, 2018
- The Vegan Diet Done Safely - Parsley Health - November 18th, 2018
- Ketogenic diet: Is the ultimate low-carb diet good for you ... - October 31st, 2018
- Keto Diet Beginners Guide: Understanding the Ketogenic Diet - October 2nd, 2018
- Is the Keto diet Safe? 10 Myth-Busting Arguments for the ... - August 8th, 2018
- Diet - Safety Talk Ideas - August 6th, 2018
- The Carnivore Diet: Can Eating Only Meat Supercharge Your ... - August 1st, 2018
- Diet and Weight Loss Safety Tips (UPDATE: Jul 2018) | 2 ... - July 26th, 2018
- What Is the Keto Diet, and Is It Safe? - May 24th, 2018
- How to Safely and Effectively Come Off the Keto Diet ... - May 7th, 2018
- Care Guide: Diet - April 2nd, 2018
- Eat Wheat: A Scientific and Clinically-Proven Approach to ... - March 16th, 2018
- Can Probiotics Make It Safely To Your Intestines? - February 19th, 2018
- How to safely and healthily use supplements in your diet ... - February 17th, 2018
- Liquid Diet: Facts About Plans and Effectiveness - February 17th, 2018
- 11 Low Carb Vegetables That You Can Safely Eat on the ... - February 7th, 2018
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe for Everyone? - Diagnosis:Diet - January 20th, 2018
- Best Weight Loss Pills For Women Reviewed - Top 8 Best ... - December 25th, 2017
- Safe Diets and Healthful Weight Loss - healthline.com - November 6th, 2017
- How to Use Diet Pills Safely: 12 Steps (with Pictures ... - October 13th, 2017
- How to Lose Weight Quickly and Safely (for Teen Girls) - October 13th, 2017
- Chinese red viagra sildenafil citrate - Viagra and red bull safe - Red ant viagra review - Black Hills Today - September 6th, 2017
- The What IF Plan: all you need to know about the new DNA weight loss programme - Evening Standard - September 6th, 2017
- Coca-Cola Offering $1 Million for Natural Sugar Substitute - Newsmax - September 6th, 2017
- 'Global event' in Ames this fall to focus on digital literacy - Radio Iowa - September 6th, 2017
- All the Apps and Websites You Need When You Have a Kid With Food Allergies - Lifehacker Australia - September 6th, 2017
- Cheap female viagra pills - Name of female viagra tablet - Twin Cities Arts Reader - September 4th, 2017
- 'Diet guidelines biased against poor nations' - The News International - September 4th, 2017
- World-renowned Alzheimer's expert takes state fair stage - KARE - September 4th, 2017
- 10 new nutrients you should be eating right away - DailyO - September 4th, 2017
- Why West's low-fat diet advice could be deadly for Asia's poor, because they'll likely eat even more carbs - South China Morning Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Battling the deerfly - Stowe Today - September 2nd, 2017
- Levitra professional mail order - Levitra professional pills - Laughlin Entertainer - September 2nd, 2017
- A Bountiful Assortment - PetProductNews.com - September 2nd, 2017
- Don't talk about diets in front of your daughters, deputy head at top London school warns parents - Evening Standard - September 1st, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Capital FM Kenya (press release) (blog) - September 1st, 2017
- Sponsor spotlight: Harbor Square Athletic Club Healthy Lifestyle Tip good protein sources - My Edmonds News - September 1st, 2017
- Viagra soft tabs uk buy - Viagra soft tab generic - Forward Florida - September 1st, 2017
- The Most Weight You Can Safely Lose In A Month By Only ... - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines 'biased against poor nations' - New Vision - August 30th, 2017
- Nutrition: Tips to a healthful State Fair - Duluth News Tribune - August 30th, 2017
- How does a high-salt diet affect your body? - Reports Healthcare - August 30th, 2017
- Healthcare Startup Claims It Can Defeat Diabetes With Nutrition Alone - Futurism - August 30th, 2017
- Buy kamagra soft usa - Forward Florida - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Geo News, Pakistan - August 29th, 2017
- Men who get fit in middle age can halve their risk of strokes - Telegraph.co.uk - August 29th, 2017
- Can you really lose your belly fat with just 15 minutes of HIIT a day? Yes. - Metro - August 29th, 2017
- Viagra capsule in hindi - Viagra capsules price in india - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Extension Connection: Petscaping Your Yard - Canton Daily Ledger - August 27th, 2017
- Ketogenic diet loved for fast results, but does it work? - Gears Of Biz - August 27th, 2017
- The case for complete streets - Prince Rupert Northern View - August 27th, 2017
- How Conor McGregor's Weight Loss Ahead of His Big Fight May Harm His Body - Scientific American - August 27th, 2017
- Watch it! Artificial sweeteners can make you fat - Vanguard - August 26th, 2017
- 5 Tips For Traveling Safely With Food Allergies - POPSUGAR - August 26th, 2017
- 7 Things You've Always Wondered About a Colonoscopy - SELF - August 26th, 2017
- We Talked With an Expert About Whether You Can Actually Lose Weight With the Apple Cider Vinegar Diet or Bone ... - Life & Style Weekly - August 26th, 2017
- Stayin' Alive: The Big 'D' with Jeordan Hill - Buffalo Rising - August 23rd, 2017
- Vaginal seeding birth trend could do more harm than good - Netdoctor - August 23rd, 2017