The term Andropause is to men what Menopause is to women. Andropause is a gradual but consistent decline in the sex hormones of middle-aged men. Andropause is a very real health phenomenon affecting millions of men in the world, but it is not officially recognized by the World Health Organization. The medical profession and the publics awareness of andropause today are similar to their ignorance of menopause a few decades ago. As a result, men suffering from the effects of andropause are unable to find much-needed help and guidance (1).
Andropause plays out over a longer period of time than menopause. Hormonal shifts such as a decline in testosterone levels begin taking place starting in a mans mid-30s, and continue until his 50s or later. These shifts, taking place over decades, mean that the day-to-day changes in men are subtle. By the time symptoms are evidentshowing up as loss of muscle mass, decreased athletic performance, poor mental function, or diminished sex drivea slow sapping of vitality and vigor have occurred, and the pathology is already in place.
Andropause is best defined as a state in which males cease to be androgen, or male hormone, dominant. In other words, the male body and brain, which should operate predominantly on androgens, no longer do. Thus, they fall under the influence of the relatively dominant, increased estrogen levels.
Of the ten most common causes of death in males, five are directly related to this decline in androgen dominance. These five causes of death, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, suicide (depression) and Alzheimers disease are major players in health risks for men, and proper management of mens health in their middle years can play a significant role in prevention and treatment of these disease patterns.
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is a very common andropause disorder, and most men wrestle with this complaint at some point during their later lives. All men will have increased proliferation of their prostate tissues; nearly 60% of men between 40 and 59 have an enlarged prostate. So the question for men is not How do I avoid prostate enlargement? but How do I keep an enlarged prostate from causing me problems? The answer lies in good management of andropause.
The gradual presentation of andropause makes many men accept their symptoms as part of normal aging, which prevents them from seeking care for a decline that can respond well to intervention.
Conventional medical treatment typically consists of medications to treat presenting symptoms such as high cholesterol, diabetes, depression, or erectile dysfunction. Fully 62% of the top 50 most prescribed drugs relate to the pathophysiology and metabolic effects of andropause.
For BPH, drug treatments, transurethral microwave radiation (heating the prostate to at least 111 degrees Fahrenheit), transurethral needle ablation, high intensity ultrasound and surgery are standard interventions.
There are many contributing factors that increase risk for andropause symptoms. Inflammation, insulin resistance or diabetes, low testosterone, obesity, declining mental function, and impaired circulation all work in an interrelated fashion to cause a shift from androgen dominance.
Supporting brain function, specifically acetylcholine activity, increasing blood flow to the brain and peripheral vascular system (erectile dysfunction is generally a vascular, neurologic or psychogenic issue, not an endocrine problem), regulating blood sugar metabolism, controlling inflammation, and enhancing digestion are among the goals of therapy at OHS. A thorough health history intake, physical examination according to Oriental Medicine principles, and possibly looking at laboratory blood tests will help to make clear the priorities for each man. Treatment is usually multi-faceted, involving:
Acupuncture to improve circulation and clarify an Oriental medical diagnosis, which will aid in refining an intervention for more rapid and patient-specific results;Dietary counseling to improve blood sugar metabolism, help reduce inflammation, support energy production, and help achieve optimal weight maintenance; Herbal and nutritional supplementation can target specific metabolic pathways and speed the process of balancing blood sugar metabolism, the endocrine system, brain function and digestion.
Historically, men tend to be poor at self-care, and are often reluctant to seek medical care whether it is from a conventional or a complementary provider. But more and more men are realizing the benefits of preventive care. As men live longer, they find it increasingly important to maintain optimal energy, acute mental function, balanced emotional states, and high physical strength and stamina. Tackling the health issues of andropause head-on, and addressing the multiple systems involved in the aging process, significantly reduces the risk of many age-related diseases while making a full and vital life, long into old age, a reality.
1. Harrison J. Talking about my generation: a state of the art review of health information for men in the andropause. Health Info Libr J. 2011 Sep;28(3):161-70.
Wang X, Stocco DM. The decline in testosterone biosynthesis during male aging: a consequence of multiple alterations. Mol Cell Endocrinonol. 2005 Jun 30:238(1-2):1-7. This study discusses, among other things, age related increases in COX 2 enzymes (inflammatory enzymes inhibited by NSAIDS) which may cause a reduction in testosterone concentrations.
Zitzmann M. Testosterone deficiency, insulin resistance and the metabolic syndrome. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2009 Dec;5(12):673-81. Epub 2009 Oct 27. . . . central obesity and insulin resistance are acknowledged as important causative factors (in metabolic syndrome). The amount of visceral adipose tissue is inversely associated with testosterone concentrations. Low testosterone levels are associated with insulin resistance and high testosterone concentrations are linked with insulin sensitivity.
Carreau S, et al. The Promoter(s) of the aromatase gene in male testicular cells. Reprod Bil. 2004 Mar;4(1):23-34. In human adipose tissue, the primary promoter of aromatase gene expression (is). . , driven by class I cytokines IL-6 and TNF alpha (this means that testosterones will drop and estrogen levels will rise, a bad scenario for males).
Gouras GK, et al. Testosterone reduces neuronal secretion of Alzheimers B-amyloid peptides. PNAS. 2000;97(3):1202-1205.
Moffat SD. Effects of testosterone on cognitive brain aging in elderly men. Ann NY Acad Sci. 2005;1055:80-92.
Giltav EJ, Haider A, Saad F, Gooren LJ. C-reactive protein levels and aging male symptoms in hypogonadal men treated with testosterone supplementation. Andrologia, 2008 Dec;40(6):398-400.
Andropause | Oriental Health Solutions
- The 'male menopause' - NHS - June 24th, 2019
- Andropause | Integrative Health Solutions - May 26th, 2019
- Andropause - Dr.Tan & Partners - May 26th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Andropause + 5 Causes of Low ... - April 30th, 2019
- What Are the Symptoms of Andropause? - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause - Male Menopause - My Second Spring - April 30th, 2019
- 6 Midlife Crisis Stages by Jim Conway - Andropause ... - March 23rd, 2019
- Andropause | Psychology Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 11th, 2019
- Andropause Symptoms in Men | BioTE Medical - March 7th, 2019
- What Is Andropause and How Can You Treat It ... - February 8th, 2019
- Andropause or Male Menopause: What Causes It? - HealthXchange - February 2nd, 2019
- Andropause - Women's International Pharmacy - September 15th, 2018
- Are You Experiencing Andropause? - PornHub.com - September 11th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy / Andropause Olympia ... - May 30th, 2018
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health ... - May 27th, 2018
- Andropause - Male Menopause with Low Testosterone Levels - May 25th, 2018
- Midlife Crisis - Andropause Society - Testosterone Deficiency - May 14th, 2018
- Andropause & Testosterone Treatment Singapore | Men's Health - April 26th, 2018
- Top 8 Andropause Natural Treatment Options ... - April 26th, 2018
- Andropause Symptoms | Andropause Symptoms - April 2nd, 2018
- Andropause and Mental health Issues Psychological ... - February 18th, 2018
- Advanced Health and Vitality - February 9th, 2018
- Night Sweats In Men | Help For Night Sweats - January 31st, 2018
- Male Andropause Hormone Testing | ZRT Laboratory - November 18th, 2017
- Is Andropause Real? - Doctor Murray - October 7th, 2017
- Is Menopause Misery a Disease? - South Florida Reporter - September 4th, 2017
- Super kamagra - Super kamagra usa - Forward Florida - August 31st, 2017
- Anatomy and physiology of ageing 8: the reproductive system - Nursing Times - August 29th, 2017
- Do men go through menopause? - Bel Marra Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Kamagra soft tablets - Kamagra soft tabs - Filipino Express - August 20th, 2017
- Viagra super active canada - Best over the counter viagra alternative - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Buy kamagra oral jelly sydney australia - Bournville Village - August 8th, 2017
- Risks of taking expired viagra - Viagra and red bull safe - The Maravi Post - August 2nd, 2017
- Jury: AbbVie should pay $150M for Androgel marketing; AbbVie ... - Cook County Record - July 31st, 2017
- AndroGel Testosterone Lawsuit Plaintiff Awarded $150 Million for ... - RX Injury Help (press release) (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Golden Lion Review (UPDATED 2017): Don't Buy Before You Read This! - Diets In Review (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system | www.qgazette ... - Western Queens Gazette - July 8th, 2017
- Dumaguing: Do men undergo menopause? | SunStar - Sun.Star - July 7th, 2017
- Andropause: Male 'Menopause' - Jewish Link of New Jersey - July 6th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system - Western Queens Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- What Are the Signs of Male Menopause? - July 3rd, 2017
- Men, your biological clocks are ticking too - Mumbai Mirror - Mumbai Mirror - June 24th, 2017
- Rawlings suffering from andropause at age 70 - Mallam Issah - GhanaWeb - June 24th, 2017
- Testosterone Support Still Going Strong in Men's Supplements ... - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2017
- The Physical Pain Of Aging Is Not Inevitable - Forbes - June 17th, 2017
- What is Ostarine and Why are Weightlifters Taking It? - The Barbell Spin (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Bayer levitra professional pro - Cheap levitra professional - Levitra professional overnight delivery - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- Online video poker ratings - Gambling site - Casino games online in usa - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- No download casinos for mac - Best line casino - Best rated us online casino - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Leading American Male Health Clinics Released in New Report - Digital Journal - June 2nd, 2017
- French kiss video - Chatham ontario - Widowed women - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Shim Clinic Providing STD and HIV Testing Facilities at its Centers in Singapore - satPRnews (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Boost sex drive: These are the five supplements EVERY man should be taking - Express.co.uk - May 26th, 2017
- Millendo Therapeutics Announces MLE4901 Data Presentations at ... - Business Wire (press release) - May 16th, 2017
- Why Is The Risk Of Getting Cancer Higher Than It Used To Be? - Forbes - May 12th, 2017
- Physical Exercise for Men With Andropause - satPRnews (press release) - May 12th, 2017
- Of men's physical problems - The Herald - May 12th, 2017
- Successful Aging and the important role hormones play - Glendale Star - May 12th, 2017
- Low libido? This may be the reason - Bel Marra Health - May 3rd, 2017
- 9 Surprising Facts About Your Sex Drive (and Your Partner's!) - The Good Men Project (blog) - April 30th, 2017
- Male Menopause: The Hidden Cause of Mid-Life Marriage Meltdown - The Good Men Project (blog) - April 28th, 2017
- Worried about low T? Treatments unlikely to deliver what they promise -- and could hurt you - Genetic Literacy Project - April 26th, 2017
- Dr. Paul Clayton, SSO of Gencor and Researcher of Testofen, is Interviewed on FiveHundo.com - Yahoo Finance - April 26th, 2017
- Is male menopause real? Low testosterone level signs and treatment tips - Bel Marra Health - April 24th, 2017
- A sports car with an attractive price - Reflejos - April 24th, 2017
- Depressed and Craving Carbs? - Newsmax - April 21st, 2017
- Irritable Male Syndrome: The First Hidden Cause of Mid-Life Marriage Meltdown - The Good Men Project (blog) - April 16th, 2017
- Can osteoporosis be reversed? 14 natural ways to treat osteoporosis - Bel Marra Health - April 8th, 2017
- The one thing every man should do for his health - Bel Marra Health - April 1st, 2017
- Mood swings in men (irritable male syndrome): Causes, symptoms, and prevention - Bel Marra Health - March 22nd, 2017
- Voveran sr navartis - Voveran sr novartis - Novartis voveran sr 100 - 5685 Completed ORDERS Today! - Barnsdalltimes - March 19th, 2017
- 'I'm applying for disability': Not-so-Average artist's life takes a new turn - The Province - March 15th, 2017
- Hot flashes after eating or drinking: Causes and treatment tips - Bel Marra Health - March 11th, 2017
- Managing menopause | UDaily - University of Delaware - UDaily - March 8th, 2017
- Not much advantage to testosterone replacement - Midland Daily News - March 8th, 2017
- Case Closed: Testosterone Does Not Boost Cognition | ALZFORUM - Alzforum - February 25th, 2017
- Zynev Warning Review - Don't Buy Before You Read This! - Diets In Review (blog) - February 16th, 2017
- What's in store: Chronos - bestofneworleans.com - February 15th, 2017
- Estremera: Suicide | SunStar - Sun.Star - February 15th, 2017