Calorie restriction as a means to control ones body weight and the healthy side benefits of this method has gained a lot of attention from both the general media and the scientific community in recent times. Looking at PubMed a major scientific research database, it is noteworthy that the number of citations for calorie restriction in the first seven months of 2017 is about equal to the number of citations given from 1944 to 1982.
The health benefits of calorie restriction were first noted in the seminal lab rat studies of Dr. Clive McCay at Cornell University in the 1930. These benefits include longer lifespan and significant metabolic improvements. The issue is that many individuals find it difficult to follow a program of daily caloric restriction. One way is to decide to limit portion sizes.
In this Super-size me world this may seems like an impossible task, but it is clear from the statistics of Global obesity (Globesity) this is a rational and sensible approach to weight management.
Portion control is a simple yet effective approach to weight management. How much you eat is certainly as important as what you eat. Think of food as a way to ensure getting the nutrients that you need. You will not want to squander limited calories on crap food that does nothing to enhance your health and longevity, would you? You want to get as much nutritional bang for your calorie (bucks) as possible so spending them wisely and carefully makes sense.
First, plan your meals and snacks in advance. After you cook or prepare your meals, divide them up into sensible portions so you will not be tempted to overindulge. Many food items can be stored for weeks in the freezer, and by having such foods ready and available you are less likely to make quality or quantity mistakes.
Secondly, fill up with fiber because it is important for your digestive health but also it will keep you feeling full. Consumption of fiber is also healthy for your heart, keeping your blood sugar under control and is linked to longevity. The best sources are fruit, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and beans to get the best value for your nutritional currency.
Thirdly, you want to eat your colors, to get nutritional variety into your diet. A good rule is to fill half your plate (it should be a regular sized dinner plate, not the mega plates that are in common use in this day and age) with plant foods and then split the remaining half with protein or legume and whole grains.
The possible almost infinite variety in our diet is a luxury that we have due to the modern-day food industry, but it is still also a good idea to, as much as possible, eat local and eat what is in season. You can get lots of variety by eating from our local farmers market and you will be spending your calories wisely.
Finally, it goes without saying that you must not indulge in seconds. Many scientific studies have revealed that it takes a full 20 minutes for your brain and stomach to communicate to each other that you are satiated.
If you wolf down your food so quickly that you reach for more before you have given your body time to acknowledge that it has what is needs, you are simply overriding the feedback mechanism. Take your time eating, chew your food, savor the flavors, so that you stop when you are full.
Other sensible methods of weight maintenance such as intermittent fasting which also has decided health benefits are reasonable given our hunter and gatherer heritage wherein we would go hungry some days and in fact be all the better for it.
Calorie restriction and intermittent fasting have much in common from a health benefit perspective, however, calorie restriction is a daily reduction in calorie intake usually between 20 to 40 percent of an individuals energy requirements (while of course providing the essential nutrients) whereas intermittent fasting refers to setting aside one or two days a week in which one significantly reduces their caloric intake.
I will write more about intermittent fasting and the many benefits of this style of weight management. Until then, wishing you and yours the healthiest life imaginable. A hui hou.
Dr. Jane Riley, EdD., is a certified personal fitness trainer, nutritional adviser and behavior change specialist. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, 212-8119 cell/text and http://www.janerileyfitness.com.
Read the original:
An easy, healthy way to control your weight – Thegardenisland.com
- North Carolina Weight & Wellness: Obesity Medicine ... - January 14th, 2019
- Weight Management Center | Wake Forest Baptist Health - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management | University of Maryland Medical Center - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management Program | NYU Langone Health - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management | Office of Work-Life at Columbia University - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Loss Centers in Washington - Yelp - December 23rd, 2018
- Delta Medical Weight Management Center - dmwmc.com - October 30th, 2018
- Weight Management for Your Life: Ten Steps to Prepare You ... - September 29th, 2018
- Weight Loss Management Center at UWMC - Roosevelt | UW ... - September 28th, 2018
- Weight Loss | Washington University Physicians - September 28th, 2018
- Weight Management Resources - Verywell Fit - September 28th, 2018
- Plainfield NJ Family Physician Doctors - Weight Management ... - August 30th, 2018
- Weight Loss Specialist | Weight Loss Coach | ACE - August 20th, 2018
- SmartFitWeightLoss.com - August 5th, 2018
- Weight Management Olympia Compounding Pharmacy - April 6th, 2018
- Medical Weight Loss Clinic | Medical Weight Management ... - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management | Reading Hospital - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management Louisville, Kentucky (KY), Norton Healthcare - March 13th, 2018
- Center for Weight & Wellness - Lifespan - March 13th, 2018
- MUSC Health Weight Management Center | Charleston SC - February 27th, 2018
- Weight Management - County of Sonoma, California - February 5th, 2018
- Weight Management - dTERRA Product Line | dTERRA ... - February 5th, 2018
- Weight Management Program - NYP.org - January 3rd, 2018
- Weight Management Resources - Verywell - December 28th, 2017
- Weight Management-Topic Overview - WebMD - December 1st, 2017
- The Institute for Weight Management - Hackensack, NJ - November 10th, 2017
- How Avocado Can Help with Weight Management - October 13th, 2017
- Weight Management | Compounding Pharmacy - Absolute Pharmacy - September 20th, 2017
- Can ventolin inhaler cause weight loss - Ventolin expectorant capsule price philippines - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Veterans' lives, health honored at wellness event in Butler - New Castle News - August 27th, 2017
- Healthy eating the best way to lose weight - Tahlequah Daily Press - August 27th, 2017
- Weight-loss firm makes apparent Stamford exit - The Advocate - August 27th, 2017
- The Role of Body Composition in Weight Management - Natural Products INSIDER - August 24th, 2017
- Get fit: The 5 best exercises for fat loss - Daily Commercial - August 24th, 2017
- Reimagining the Weight Loss Category - Natural Products INSIDER - August 24th, 2017
- These Are The Best Foods For Weight Loss - Huffington Post Australia - August 24th, 2017
- 5 local resources to help control diabetes - Twin Falls Times-News - August 20th, 2017
- Weight not a factor as energy dense foods appear to up cancer risk - FoodNavigator.com - August 18th, 2017
- Infrared Sauna Benefits Include Pain Management, Weight Loss - Metro US - August 18th, 2017
- The best exercise for weight loss, according to science - NEWS.com.au - August 13th, 2017
- Family Health News Has Positive Experience at Weight ... - Benzinga - Benzinga - August 11th, 2017
- Lifestyle-modification programs for weight management in Arab states lack in effectiveness - Medical Xpress - August 10th, 2017
- Exercise as a Weight-Loss Strategy - New York Times - August 9th, 2017
- Research Behind Top Weight Management Ingredients - Natural Products INSIDER - August 9th, 2017
- Lifestyle-modification programs for weight management in Arab states lack in effectiveness - Gears Of Biz - August 9th, 2017
- Diet Soda Linked to Weight Gain, Not Weight Loss - Olive Oil Times - Olive Oil Times - August 9th, 2017
- The 15-Minute Cardio Workout Perfect for Beginners Trying to Lose Weight - Shape Magazine - August 9th, 2017
- Weight Management Supplements | eBay - August 7th, 2017
- Newly Published Study Shows Supplementation Of Capsicum Extract Helps Increase Metabolic Rate - Markets Insider - August 7th, 2017
- Elicina Participates in Successful Weight Management, Sports ... - Benzinga - August 3rd, 2017
- Ask a Specialist: How Weight Loss Surgery Can Treat Type 2 Diabetes - KHON2 - August 3rd, 2017
- Diet Doc Offers Customized Weight Loss Solutions Amid Mediterranean Diet Doubts - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 3rd, 2017
- UFC willing to add new ABC weight classes 'when the time is right' - MMAmania.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Asthma inhaler weight loss - Ipratropium bromide and albuterol sulfate side effects - Van Wert independent - July 11th, 2017
- Weight Management Clinic Scarborough - Weight Management ... - July 7th, 2017
- Conversation Cards a Useful Tool in Pediatric Weight Management - Newswise (press release) - July 7th, 2017
- 7 ways to follow a low-carb diet the right way - Today.com - July 7th, 2017
- Apple Cider Vinegar Weight Loss - ACV Weight Loss - Woman's Day - WomansDay.com (blog) - July 6th, 2017
- Nolvadex for steroid users - Diabex side effects weight loss - Longboat Key News - July 6th, 2017
- VIVUS Settles with Teva on Weight Management Drug Generic - Zacks.com - July 6th, 2017
- Weight Management Ingredients - Natural Products INSIDER - July 5th, 2017
- Acai berry cancer - Acai berry weight loss cleanse - Antioch Herald - July 4th, 2017
- The Role of Meal Replacements in Weight Loss - TAPinto.net - July 4th, 2017
- Why Big Pharma Is Struggling to Profit From the Obesity Epidemic - Bloomberg - July 4th, 2017
- Dr. Steven Edelman Part 6, Type 2 Diabetes and Weight Management - Diabetes In Control - July 2nd, 2017
- 7 Lifestyle Changes That Can Affect Your Weight Management Goals - South Florida Reporter - July 2nd, 2017
- Medically Managed Weight Loss: A Nonsurgical Approach to a ... - Newswise (press release) - June 29th, 2017
- EnteroMedics Announces Affordable vBloc Therapy Program for Weight Loss Patients - PR Newswire (press release) - June 28th, 2017
- Does dieting or fitness trackers work better for weight loss - Bangor Daily News - June 28th, 2017
- Global Weight Management Market Size Is Expected To Reach USD 314.7 Bn By 2024 - Technorati - June 27th, 2017
- How Do You Lose Weight With Jenny Craig? A Dietitian Explains - POPSUGAR - June 27th, 2017
- 'Short term' weight control approaches call for new interventions ... - FoodNavigator.com - June 27th, 2017
- Meal Prepping May Actually Be Sabotaging Your Diet - HuffPost - June 27th, 2017
- Think positive attitude for great fitness and weight loss results - Shawnee News Star - June 25th, 2017
- Health Bites: A lifestyle approach to health - Casper Star-Tribune Online - June 24th, 2017
- Follow These 9 Simple Steps To Set Yourself Up For Weight-Loss Success - Women's Health - June 24th, 2017
- 'Keto' diet good for quick weight loss, but caution advised - Theadanews - June 24th, 2017
- 'Keto' diet good for quick weight loss, but caution advised - Tahlequah Daily Press - June 22nd, 2017
- Weight Management | Summit Health - June 22nd, 2017
- Weight Management - prochange.com - June 22nd, 2017