Its time to lighten your loadliterally. Carrying around extra weight isnt good for your body. You know that. But staying at a healthy weight is easier said than done. This weight management checklist helps you focus your energy on impactful activities. Start checking off items and building momentum to achieve weight management goals.
Maintaining a healthy weight is all about the balance of calories in and calories out. Use more than you take in and you lose weight. Do the opposite, and you gain. If theyre balanced, thats how you maintain.
This means a focus on diet and exercise together. But this weight management checklist goes deeper and provides simple tips to get you started.
Its time to start checking off some boxes.
Determining your target weight isnt a guessing game. There are many factors that can help you determine the right number for you.
The most common way to figure out a healthy weight is using the Body Mass Index (BMI). This is a ratio of your height to weight. This is going to involve some math, but you can do it (or use a BMI calculator). You can find your BMI with this equation:
Weight in Kilograms(kg)/(Height in meters)2
Heres an example: Dave is 84 kg (or about 185 pounds) and 1.8288 meters (six feet tall). His BMI would be 25.1, which is just barely in the overweight range. (Heres the math: 1.8288 squared is 3.345, and 84 divided by 3.345 is 25.1.)
The healthy range for BMI is 18.5 to 24.9. Thats what you want to aim for. There are charts available that will give you the healthy weight range for your height.
But BMI isnt everything. Its a very simple calculation that doesnt consider different circumstances.
You can also use measurements like body fat percent or determining belly circumference (around the belly button) to help determine your ideal weight. Body fat percentages should be less than 31% for women and 25% for men.Belly circumferences should be less than 40 inches (102 cm) for men and 35 inches (88 cm) for women.
If this is all a little bit overwhelming (and math can do that) you can always talk to your doctor, dietician, or nutritionist. Theyre great resources.
Calories arent scary or mysterious. Theyre simply the units used to measure energy in your food. And you need calories to run all the processes of your body.
Most of what you see about calories is based on an average diet of 2,000 calories per day for women and 2,500 a day for men. Thats a good starting place. But there are many factors to consider when assessing your daily calorie needs.
Weight and activity are probably the biggest considerations. A larger person needs more calories. Thats because you need more energy to move around more weight. And if youre on the go a lot or youre an athlete, you need more fuel to support that extra activity.
Age and sex are two other factors. Calorie needs decrease with age. And men need about 500 more calories per day (on average) than women. Thats mostly due to their overall larger size and the fact that they have a higher basal metabolic rate or BMR.
BMR is what your body burns at rest. About two-thirds of your calories are used this wayjust to keep your body running smoothly. Those are like freebies. The rest of your calories are burned because of activities you do during the day.
There are calculators that will tell you your BMR and how many calories you need to maintain your weight. But for simplicitys sake, if youre a man, it should be around 2,500 calories. If youre a woman, that number is around 2,000.
Use those as the starting point for maintaining a healthy weight. You can adjust your needs if youre more active, larger, or have other health considerations.
You know how much fuel (calories) your body needs. But counting calories is just a part of planning your perfect weight-management diet.
The foods you choose to acquire those calories makes a big difference. Think about how 300 calories of sugary treats compare to 300 calories of almonds and fruit.One will fill you up with fiber, sustained energy, and micronutrients. The sugary snack is empty energy that can lead to a crash.
Like any healthy diet, you should target a balance of nutrient-rich protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats. Focus on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, plant-based fats, and foods with fiber.
Protein (especially in the morning) and fiber are especially important. You only absorb half the available calories in fiber. And it helps you feel full for longer. Also, dont forget to drink plenty of water.
Any diet should give you a foundation of vitamins, minerals, and beneficial plant compounds. Its the starting point for getting your body all the nutrients it needs.
The best exercise plan is one you can follow. Thats a popular saying, but its true (the same is true for your diet, too). You dont want to make these common mistakes:
Being honest with yourself about your fitness levelwill help you avoid jumping into something too hard. You really shouldnt run before you walk. So, assess where you are and workin steps, since health wont happen all at onceto get where you want to go.
Taking an inventory of healthy activities you enjoy is essential to developing an effective exercise routine. You shouldnt focus on running if you find it boring. Maybe playing a sport works better for you. Figuring out what you like to do will help you look forward to exercise instead of dreading it.
Also, properly set expectations. One trip to the gym isnt going to reshape your body or improve your fitness. Its a process. You have to burn 3,500 calories to eliminate a pound of fat. A good goal is using 500 more calories than you take in each day. That can lead to losing a pound a week.
And remember, exercise is only part of the equation. You cant exercise your way out of bad eating habits. So, you need both as part of your weight-management plan.
You know what you like. You have properly set expectations. Now its time to plan.
Take the activities you like and figure out how many calories youll burn. Then figure out how many minutes are required to hit your goal for the day. You can find these estimates onlineor in a fitness tracker app.
Then carve out time in your daily schedule. Make sure to vary the activities so you dont get bored or fatigue one part of your body too much. Ideally, you should get at least 150 minutes of exercise a week. The easiest way is to split that up into five, 30-minute sessions.
This is the simplest one on paper, but the hardest in practice. Its also the most important part of any weight-management plan.
Understanding your calorie needs is great. Planning the perfect diet and exercise routine is important. Crossing off items on the weight management checklist builds momentum. But youll need action and perseverance to achieve your weight management goals.
So, put your plans into motion. Get out and move. And remember progress and consistencynot perfectionis what you want. Youll have successes and snags, but focus on continuing to move forward, in the direction of your weight-management goals.
A simple way to put it is to be goodeat right and incorporate exercisethe majority of the days of the week.
Read the original:
Achieve Your Goals with This Weight Management Checklist …
- Weight Management - Terrebonne General Medical Center - May 20th, 2019
- Weight Management - UChicago Medicine - May 19th, 2019
- Jersey Medical Weight Loss Center: Weight Loss Physicians ... - May 17th, 2019
- Carolina Weight Loss Institute - April 30th, 2019
- Advanced Medical Weight Loss & Wellness Center in Las ... - April 10th, 2019
- Weight Management - Fort HealthCare - April 10th, 2019
- Nurse-Led Weight Management Programs - ausmed.com - March 21st, 2019
- Essay on The Importance of Weight Management - 594 Words - March 21st, 2019
- Weight Management - Regional Health Orthopedic & Specialty ... - March 8th, 2019
- Weight Management - MedicineNet - February 9th, 2019
- CORE Weight Management - Wellness Pet Food - January 29th, 2019
- Parkinson's Foundation: Better Lives. Together. - January 23rd, 2019
- Weight Management | Summit Medical Group - January 23rd, 2019
- Weight Management Services - umms.org - January 23rd, 2019
- Weight Management Program - The LIFT - January 23rd, 2019
- Weight Management - Health & Nutrition - Youngevity - January 23rd, 2019
- North Carolina Weight & Wellness: Obesity Medicine ... - January 14th, 2019
- Weight Management Center | Wake Forest Baptist Health - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management | University of Maryland Medical Center - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management Program | NYU Langone Health - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management | Office of Work-Life at Columbia University - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Loss Centers in Washington - Yelp - December 23rd, 2018
- Delta Medical Weight Management Center - dmwmc.com - October 30th, 2018
- Weight Management for Your Life: Ten Steps to Prepare You ... - September 29th, 2018
- Weight Loss Management Center at UWMC - Roosevelt | UW ... - September 28th, 2018
- Weight Loss | Washington University Physicians - September 28th, 2018
- Weight Management Resources - Verywell Fit - September 28th, 2018
- Plainfield NJ Family Physician Doctors - Weight Management ... - August 30th, 2018
- Weight Loss Specialist | Weight Loss Coach | ACE - August 20th, 2018
- SmartFitWeightLoss.com - August 5th, 2018
- Weight Management Olympia Compounding Pharmacy - April 6th, 2018
- Medical Weight Loss Clinic | Medical Weight Management ... - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management | Reading Hospital - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management Louisville, Kentucky (KY), Norton Healthcare - March 13th, 2018
- Center for Weight & Wellness - Lifespan - March 13th, 2018
- MUSC Health Weight Management Center | Charleston SC - February 27th, 2018
- Weight Management - County of Sonoma, California - February 5th, 2018
- Weight Management - dTERRA Product Line | dTERRA ... - February 5th, 2018
- Weight Management Program - NYP.org - January 3rd, 2018
- Weight Management Resources - Verywell - December 28th, 2017
- Weight Management-Topic Overview - WebMD - December 1st, 2017
- The Institute for Weight Management - Hackensack, NJ - November 10th, 2017
- How Avocado Can Help with Weight Management - October 13th, 2017
- Weight Management | Compounding Pharmacy - Absolute Pharmacy - September 20th, 2017
- Can ventolin inhaler cause weight loss - Ventolin expectorant capsule price philippines - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Veterans' lives, health honored at wellness event in Butler - New Castle News - August 27th, 2017
- Healthy eating the best way to lose weight - Tahlequah Daily Press - August 27th, 2017
- Weight-loss firm makes apparent Stamford exit - The Advocate - August 27th, 2017
- The Role of Body Composition in Weight Management - Natural Products INSIDER - August 24th, 2017
- Get fit: The 5 best exercises for fat loss - Daily Commercial - August 24th, 2017
- Reimagining the Weight Loss Category - Natural Products INSIDER - August 24th, 2017
- These Are The Best Foods For Weight Loss - Huffington Post Australia - August 24th, 2017
- 5 local resources to help control diabetes - Twin Falls Times-News - August 20th, 2017
- Weight not a factor as energy dense foods appear to up cancer risk - FoodNavigator.com - August 18th, 2017
- Infrared Sauna Benefits Include Pain Management, Weight Loss - Metro US - August 18th, 2017
- The best exercise for weight loss, according to science - NEWS.com.au - August 13th, 2017
- Family Health News Has Positive Experience at Weight ... - Benzinga - Benzinga - August 11th, 2017
- Lifestyle-modification programs for weight management in Arab states lack in effectiveness - Medical Xpress - August 10th, 2017
- Exercise as a Weight-Loss Strategy - New York Times - August 9th, 2017
- Research Behind Top Weight Management Ingredients - Natural Products INSIDER - August 9th, 2017
- Lifestyle-modification programs for weight management in Arab states lack in effectiveness - Gears Of Biz - August 9th, 2017
- Diet Soda Linked to Weight Gain, Not Weight Loss - Olive Oil Times - Olive Oil Times - August 9th, 2017
- The 15-Minute Cardio Workout Perfect for Beginners Trying to Lose Weight - Shape Magazine - August 9th, 2017
- Weight Management Supplements | eBay - August 7th, 2017
- An easy, healthy way to control your weight - Thegardenisland.com - August 7th, 2017
- Newly Published Study Shows Supplementation Of Capsicum Extract Helps Increase Metabolic Rate - Markets Insider - August 7th, 2017
- Elicina Participates in Successful Weight Management, Sports ... - Benzinga - August 3rd, 2017
- Ask a Specialist: How Weight Loss Surgery Can Treat Type 2 Diabetes - KHON2 - August 3rd, 2017
- Diet Doc Offers Customized Weight Loss Solutions Amid Mediterranean Diet Doubts - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 3rd, 2017
- UFC willing to add new ABC weight classes 'when the time is right' - MMAmania.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Asthma inhaler weight loss - Ipratropium bromide and albuterol sulfate side effects - Van Wert independent - July 11th, 2017
- Weight Management Clinic Scarborough - Weight Management ... - July 7th, 2017
- Conversation Cards a Useful Tool in Pediatric Weight Management - Newswise (press release) - July 7th, 2017
- 7 ways to follow a low-carb diet the right way - Today.com - July 7th, 2017
- Apple Cider Vinegar Weight Loss - ACV Weight Loss - Woman's Day - WomansDay.com (blog) - July 6th, 2017
- Nolvadex for steroid users - Diabex side effects weight loss - Longboat Key News - July 6th, 2017
- VIVUS Settles with Teva on Weight Management Drug Generic - Zacks.com - July 6th, 2017
- Weight Management Ingredients - Natural Products INSIDER - July 5th, 2017
- Acai berry cancer - Acai berry weight loss cleanse - Antioch Herald - July 4th, 2017
- The Role of Meal Replacements in Weight Loss - TAPinto.net - July 4th, 2017