Beets areone of those foods youlove,hate,or forget theyeven existed. The nutrient-dense superfood is getting a second look as more research reveals the beet’shealth-boosting effects on the mind and body. Adding more beets to your diet can help boost longevity, from aiding weight loss to preventing chronic diseases, like cancer.
Beets have a rich nutritional profile that provides a plethora of health benefits. Also known as blood turnips, beets are an excellent source of fiber, vitamin C, magnesium, and folate. The underrated vegetable is an acquired taste, but thenutritional powerhouse can add years to your lifespan if consumed on a regular basis.
Read More: 6 Foods That Protect The Brain And May Even Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease
Below are 7benefits of beets that boost your physical and mental health.
Beets help you detox and lose weightbecause they contain no fat and are a good source of dietary fiber half soluble and half insoluble. These two types help fight fat by maintaining proper bowel function and lowering cholesterol levels for weight loss. Similarly, beets are rich in magnesium, a mineral that supports optimal nerve and muscle functioning, which could be beneficial for losing weight.
A 2011 study found high levels of magnesium led to higher levels of testosterone a hormone that promotes fat tissue loss and increases in muscle. Since muscle burns more calories than fat, maintainingor building muscle can help with shedding the pounds. Moreover, beets contain phytonutrients known as betalains betanin and vulgaxanthin which are effective in reducing inflammation and supplying the body with antioxidants. Betalains also support detoxification, which may contributeto weight loss.
Beet juice can be valuable if you’re looking to boost endurance during your workout. Previous research has found those who drank beet juice before working out were able to exercise for up to 16 percent longer. Researchers believe the nitrate content in beets, which turns into nitric oxide, reduces the oxygen cost of low-intensity exercise while enhancing the stamina forhigh-intensity exercise.
In other words, nitrate-rich food can increase exercise endurance.
Beetroots have been linked to improving poor digestion by exciting the nerves in the intestines and enhancing the body’sability to digest food. A cup of beetroot contains 3.4 grams of fiber, which makes beets a good source of fiber. Fiber makes you regular because it bypasses digestion and travels down to the colon, where it feeds friendly gut bacteria or it adds bulk to stool.
The superfood has been labeled as “nature’s Viagra” due to its nitrate content. Similar to Viagra, beet intake increases nitric oxide formation, which dilates blood vessels and boosts circulation to the penis. This leads to better erections for men during sexual intercourse, and helps them last longer in bed.
Beetroot juice can effectively lower blood pressure in men. In a study published in Nutrition, men and women who drank 17.6 ounces of beet juice, which consisted of about three-fourths beet juice and one-fourth apple juice, had a lower systolic blood pressure six hours later. However, when researchers limited their analysis to men, they found a significant reduction of about 4.7 points among those who drank beetroot juice versus the placebo.
Read More: Beet Juice May Protect You From Altitude Sickness, Among Other Things
Researchers believe it’s beets’ high nitrate content that produces these heart-healthy effects. The body converts nitrates from sources like beets into nitric oxide in the body. The nitric oxide then relaxes blood vessels and increases oxygen and blood flow, therefore, lowering blood pressure.
The phytonutrients in beets, like betalains, have been found to be cancer-preventive. Animal studies have shown beets inhibit carcinogen formation and increase the production of immune cells and body enzymes that help stop cancer from developing. Specifically, a 2013 study found beetroot extract reduced multi-organ tumor formation in several animal models when added in drinking water.
The science is still murky with humans; a study published in the Australian International Clinical Nutrition Review claimed a 50-year-old man recovered from lung tumor, which clinically corresponded to lung cancer, after consuming beetroot. After six weeks, the tumor disappeared, and four months later, the man gained back over 20 pounds of weight. Researchers are still hesitant on making bold claims about the vegetable.
Beets are considered brain food that can slow the effects of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Drinking beet juice increases blood flow to the brain of the elderly, which may fight the progression of dementia, according to a 2010 study. A high-nitrate diet led to an increase in blood flow to the white matter of the frontal lobes the areas of the brain linked to degeneration from dementia and other cognitive disorders.
Folic acid in beetroot can help protect against Alzheimer’s by preventing damage to the hippocampus, which the brain devoted to memory and learning. In an animal study, mice with Alzheimer’s-like plaques in their brains were fed a diet that included a normal amount of folic acid. Those fed the folic acid diet had more brain cells in the hippocampus compared to their folic acid-deficient counterparts.
Researchers suspect that high levels of homocysteine in the brain may damage the DNA of nerve cells in the brain. Folic acid is believed to work by helping protect the brain by allowing nerve cells to repair this DNA damage.
It’s important to talk with your doctor before substituting drugs with beets to treat these various health conditions.
The Dark Side Of Vegetables: Which To Eat And Which To Pass Up
6 Fruits And Vegetables That Cause Stomach Bloating And Smelly Gas
- How Increasing Testosterone Helps Weight Loss In Men Over 40 - November 23rd, 2018
- The Untold Testosterone Story for Women | Dr. Tami - May 31st, 2018
- Pregnenolone Weight Loss Regimen: The Master Hormone for ... - February 21st, 2018
- Fitness for Weight Loss Blog - February 8th, 2018
- Dr. Marlowe's Weight Loss Institute. 400 Clarice Ave ... - February 8th, 2018
- Testosterone and Weight Loss -How do they affect each other? - January 31st, 2018
- Synergenx Health, Testosterone & Weight Loss - Yelp - December 25th, 2017
- Testosterone and Rapid Weight Loss | Iron Man Magazine - December 6th, 2017
- Testosterone - Medical Center Weight Loss Clinic - San ... - October 6th, 2017
- Testosterone and Weight Loss - October 1st, 2017
- Weight and cancer risk - MyDaytonDailyNews - September 6th, 2017
- How to ensure your body gets the right balance of hormones - Economic Times - September 6th, 2017
- Day or night ... why anytime is the right time for getting a good workout - Belfast Telegraph - September 6th, 2017
- Chemotherapy drugs for colon cancer - Clenbuterol cycle for female weight loss - Magnetic Media (press release) - September 3rd, 2017
- Five ways to overcome testosterone decline - The Sport Review - September 3rd, 2017
- polycystic ovarian syndrome: A common cause of female infertility - NIGERIAN TRIBUNE (press release) (blog) - September 2nd, 2017
- How obesity can lead to erectile dysfunction - TheHealthSite - September 2nd, 2017
- A story of 'enduranz' - Business Mirror - August 31st, 2017
- Why you need to go off keto - Mumbai Mirror - August 28th, 2017
- Here Are The Answers To The Most Asked Question About Bodybuilding Steroids - MensXP.com - August 25th, 2017
- Obesity and its implications on sexual heath - The Navhind Times - August 25th, 2017
- How food can help, harm fertility - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - August 25th, 2017
- Male hair loss: Three ways to reduce YOUR risk of going bald - Express.co.uk - August 25th, 2017
- Bigelow Center presents free talk by Dr. Woznitzer - Fairfield Sun - August 24th, 2017
- Real Men Wear Gowns: Why men aren't taking their health seriously - KARE - August 18th, 2017
- SEXUAL HEALTH: It's no laughing matter - Daily Nation - August 18th, 2017
- Researchers Track an Unlikely Culprit in Weight Gain - New York Times - August 11th, 2017
- Top health benefits of green chillies - The Statesman - August 11th, 2017
- The Strength Of Strength Training - Outlook India - August 11th, 2017
- The best time of the day for your team to be productive - Human Resources Online - August 11th, 2017
- Man flu is real, but women get more autoimmune diseases and allergies - Medical Xpress - August 7th, 2017
- Albuterol sulfate overdose treatment - How fast does albuterol work for weight loss - Hayati Magazine (blog) - August 2nd, 2017
- Myth 1: Weightlifting Makes You Bulk Up - POPSUGAR Australia - August 2nd, 2017
- Fitness trends - Daily News & Analysis - August 2nd, 2017
- Trying to conceive? Think about your diet - Independent Online - August 2nd, 2017
- FINA Announces Three Doping Suspensions - SwimSwam - July 31st, 2017
- Can Testosterone Help You Lose Weight? | Men's Fitness - July 31st, 2017
- Trying to conceive? Think about what you're eating - Stuff.co.nz - July 31st, 2017
- AbbVie Ordered to Pay $150 Million Damages in 'Low-T' Trial - Bloomberg - July 31st, 2017
- What military recruiters aren't telling women: You'll face disproportionate health risks - Los Angeles Times - July 31st, 2017
- The Top 5 Myths About Weightlifting That Need to Be Busted - POPSUGAR - July 31st, 2017
- What Men should Know About Testosterone and Weight Loss - July 10th, 2017
- 5 'No Brainer' Rules Of Starting A Weight Loss Journey For Beginners - MensXP.com - July 10th, 2017
- Why Can't I Get Rid Of My Belly Fat? Here Are 7 Reasons - Huffington Post Australia - July 10th, 2017
- Vitamin D Deficiency in Men - Reports Healthcare - July 8th, 2017
- Amazing Weight Loss & Wellness - Flower Mound, TX | (972 ... - July 8th, 2017
- Does when we eat matter - Independent.ie - July 8th, 2017