I was diagnosed with a severe allergy to berries and red fruits when I was an infant, and I’ve also been on a gluten-free diet for the last four years. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not celiac nor severely allergic to gluten, but intolerant, part of that group of people identified as “gluten sensitive.” And guess what? I travel the world looking for the best places to eat and drink to write about . . . funny, isn’t it?
Traveling with food allergies can be annoying and intimidating, leaving us and our travel companions with a constant sense of fear about what could happen if, accidentally, we end up eating something we can’t have. So said, fear and anxiety don’t control my life, and that’s why every time I travel, I ensure I won’t have problems or that at least I will be in control if something happens.
Let me be straight: it hasn’t been easy, especially in the past, because there are many things you’ve got to consider when you travel with an allergy. But the more I experience and travel, the easier it gets, and this also boosts my confidence and my desire to enjoy the adventure.
Here are some tips on how to travel safely with one (or more!) food allergy.
Have a chat with your doctor and ask him or her to write you a note, signed, with all the things you’re allergic to. Don’t be picky; put everything on it, including the variations of one single type of food. Mine doesn’t contain a general indication of “red fruits,” but it details every single fruit I’m allergic to. If you’re allergic to more than one food, put everything in the same document and make sure you carry a copy with you (in your wallet or bag) and you also have a copy to be left in your luggage. In the same doc, you can also add all the information about your health insurance, the drugs you can take in case of intoxication, and emergency contact numbers.
Make sure to bring food allergy translation cards to communicate your allergy to restaurant servers, in case you’re not fluent in the language of the country you’re going to visit.
Not only do you need a document, but you also need to add all your medical information on your smartphone so that in case of need, people can rely on your phone for more information (both if you travel solo or with someone else, be self-sufficient and make sure you can be saved in any situation!). I don’t recommend wearing a wristband with allergy information because today the mobile phone can do everything and is not so invasive, while the wristband can really impact the life of a traveler (and imagine if you also wear jewelry and an activity tracker what a nightmare!).
FoodMaestro is a great app to look for the safest ingredients in every single product without reading the labels. Food Allergy Translate is ideal to translate your dietary needs in foreign languages.
Every time I travel, for work or for pleasure, I do my research to come up with a list of hospitals and local allergy associations. Sometimes I also get in contact with local associations asking for advice and this has proven to be one of the best experiences ever, because at the end of the day, people with allergies are a big community and everyone is happy to help others.
Make sure you also research the best restaurants, local grocery stores, and places able to cater to your needs, and don’t be afraid to eat only what you recognize as safe for your health! When you order a dish, specify it doesn’t contain the ingredient you’re allergic to, always being clear (I always add, “I’m highly allergic, I could die by eating this food!”), and if your allergy doesn’t allow you to eat food cooked or prepared near the source of your allergy, then your research phase must be even more serious to end up with a list of selected places where you feel, and are, 100 percent safe.
Do not forget to have a chat with the hotel you’re staying in before or immediately upon your arrival, asking for information about its policy in case of allergy.
At least one week before leaving (but this depends on the airline), get in contact with the airline and make sure to request a special dish for your flight, but be prepared. Unfortunately, in most cases, you’ll end up with a questionable dish, so follow my recommendation as a long-time traveler with (a good amount of) allergies: pack the right amount of food to be consumed on the plane, making sure you bring both sweet and salty food, and do not forget to pack extra safe snacks in case of delays or problems of any kind. If this sounds silly or makes you feel ashamed, just remember a serious allergy is not a whim, and if your allergy can compromise your life, you have all the rights to prevent it! Make sure you have a look at the International Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Alliance for information about international airlines and their policies in case of a severe allergy on board; just recently, I was on a plane with Aer Lingus and no peanuts were served because a passenger was highly allergic (if you’re wondering, nobody complained at all!).
If your food allergy is severe, always bring at least two epinephrine injections, making sure they’re properly labeled. Remember that they’re a medical need, so they’re allowed to be carried aboard.
Overwhelmed? Don’t be. Just be confident and practice, and the more you travel, the easier it will get and you’ll be able to have fun, no matter your food allergy!
Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography / Bonnie Burke
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe Long Term? Potential Dangers to ... - March 31st, 2019
- Weight loss: Choosing a diet that's right for you - Mayo ... - March 30th, 2019
- Ketogenic Diet Benefits (& How to Do It Right) | Wellness Mama - March 12th, 2019
- Are low carb diets safe to follow? | All Natural Ideas - March 12th, 2019
- Find Out How to Diet Safely - Food Without Fire - March 9th, 2019
- Keto Diet for Women: Food List & Tips to Overcome Side ... - March 8th, 2019
- 11 Fruits can you Eat Safely in a Ketogenic Diet - Cool ... - March 7th, 2019
- HCG Diet | HCG Drops | HCG Diet Information | Your HCG - March 6th, 2019
- All About Cat Diets How and Why to Put Your Cat on a ... - February 12th, 2019
- Foods You Can Safely Eat Past The Due Dates | ActiveBeat - January 28th, 2019
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe for People with Diabetes? - Dr ... - December 20th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? 4 Potential Dangers to Be Aware Of ... - December 19th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Really Safe? - thedailymeal.com - December 19th, 2018
- The Vegan Diet Done Safely - Parsley Health - November 18th, 2018
- Ketogenic diet: Is the ultimate low-carb diet good for you ... - October 31st, 2018
- Keto Diet Beginners Guide: Understanding the Ketogenic Diet - October 2nd, 2018
- Is the Keto diet Safe? 10 Myth-Busting Arguments for the ... - August 8th, 2018
- Diet - Safety Talk Ideas - August 6th, 2018
- The Carnivore Diet: Can Eating Only Meat Supercharge Your ... - August 1st, 2018
- Diet and Weight Loss Safety Tips (UPDATE: Jul 2018) | 2 ... - July 26th, 2018
- What Is the Keto Diet, and Is It Safe? - May 24th, 2018
- How to Safely and Effectively Come Off the Keto Diet ... - May 7th, 2018
- Care Guide: Diet - April 2nd, 2018
- Eat Wheat: A Scientific and Clinically-Proven Approach to ... - March 16th, 2018
- Can Probiotics Make It Safely To Your Intestines? - February 19th, 2018
- How to safely and healthily use supplements in your diet ... - February 17th, 2018
- Liquid Diet: Facts About Plans and Effectiveness - February 17th, 2018
- 11 Low Carb Vegetables That You Can Safely Eat on the ... - February 7th, 2018
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe for Everyone? - Diagnosis:Diet - January 20th, 2018
- Best Weight Loss Pills For Women Reviewed - Top 8 Best ... - December 25th, 2017
- Safe Diets and Healthful Weight Loss - healthline.com - November 6th, 2017
- Can I diet while breastfeeding? KellyMom.com - October 15th, 2017
- How to Use Diet Pills Safely: 12 Steps (with Pictures ... - October 13th, 2017
- How to Lose Weight Quickly and Safely (for Teen Girls) - October 13th, 2017
- Chinese red viagra sildenafil citrate - Viagra and red bull safe - Red ant viagra review - Black Hills Today - September 6th, 2017
- The What IF Plan: all you need to know about the new DNA weight loss programme - Evening Standard - September 6th, 2017
- Coca-Cola Offering $1 Million for Natural Sugar Substitute - Newsmax - September 6th, 2017
- 'Global event' in Ames this fall to focus on digital literacy - Radio Iowa - September 6th, 2017
- All the Apps and Websites You Need When You Have a Kid With Food Allergies - Lifehacker Australia - September 6th, 2017
- Cheap female viagra pills - Name of female viagra tablet - Twin Cities Arts Reader - September 4th, 2017
- 'Diet guidelines biased against poor nations' - The News International - September 4th, 2017
- World-renowned Alzheimer's expert takes state fair stage - KARE - September 4th, 2017
- 10 new nutrients you should be eating right away - DailyO - September 4th, 2017
- Why West's low-fat diet advice could be deadly for Asia's poor, because they'll likely eat even more carbs - South China Morning Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Battling the deerfly - Stowe Today - September 2nd, 2017
- Levitra professional mail order - Levitra professional pills - Laughlin Entertainer - September 2nd, 2017
- A Bountiful Assortment - PetProductNews.com - September 2nd, 2017
- Don't talk about diets in front of your daughters, deputy head at top London school warns parents - Evening Standard - September 1st, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Capital FM Kenya (press release) (blog) - September 1st, 2017
- Sponsor spotlight: Harbor Square Athletic Club Healthy Lifestyle Tip good protein sources - My Edmonds News - September 1st, 2017
- Viagra soft tabs uk buy - Viagra soft tab generic - Forward Florida - September 1st, 2017
- The Most Weight You Can Safely Lose In A Month By Only ... - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines 'biased against poor nations' - New Vision - August 30th, 2017
- Nutrition: Tips to a healthful State Fair - Duluth News Tribune - August 30th, 2017
- How does a high-salt diet affect your body? - Reports Healthcare - August 30th, 2017
- Healthcare Startup Claims It Can Defeat Diabetes With Nutrition Alone - Futurism - August 30th, 2017
- Buy kamagra soft usa - Forward Florida - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Geo News, Pakistan - August 29th, 2017
- Men who get fit in middle age can halve their risk of strokes - Telegraph.co.uk - August 29th, 2017
- Can you really lose your belly fat with just 15 minutes of HIIT a day? Yes. - Metro - August 29th, 2017
- Viagra capsule in hindi - Viagra capsules price in india - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Extension Connection: Petscaping Your Yard - Canton Daily Ledger - August 27th, 2017
- Ketogenic diet loved for fast results, but does it work? - Gears Of Biz - August 27th, 2017
- The case for complete streets - Prince Rupert Northern View - August 27th, 2017
- How Conor McGregor's Weight Loss Ahead of His Big Fight May Harm His Body - Scientific American - August 27th, 2017
- Watch it! Artificial sweeteners can make you fat - Vanguard - August 26th, 2017
- 7 Things You've Always Wondered About a Colonoscopy - SELF - August 26th, 2017
- We Talked With an Expert About Whether You Can Actually Lose Weight With the Apple Cider Vinegar Diet or Bone ... - Life & Style Weekly - August 26th, 2017
- Stayin' Alive: The Big 'D' with Jeordan Hill - Buffalo Rising - August 23rd, 2017
- Vaginal seeding birth trend could do more harm than good - Netdoctor - August 23rd, 2017
- Newquay's Blue Reef Aquarium stonefish twins are new stars - Cornwall Live - August 23rd, 2017
- Meet the meat-free Hong Kong parents on a vegan mission - South China Morning Post - August 20th, 2017
- How to have a berry good time foraging this summer - CBC.ca - August 20th, 2017
- Expired viagra risks - Red ant viagra - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Is It Safe to Lose Weight While You're Pregnant? - Mommyish (blog) - August 17th, 2017
- Ignore the clickbait: Metformin still prescribed for diabetics - STLtoday.com - August 17th, 2017
- Bodybuilder Mom Dies from Eating Too Much Protein - Mommyish (blog) - August 17th, 2017
- Diet Doc Explains Why Customized Dieting is More Effective than the Popular Keto Diet - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 17th, 2017
- Westchester Playa Neighborhood Council Votes Against PDR Safety Projects - Streetsblog Los Angeles (blog) - August 17th, 2017
- Dr. Roach: Ignore the clickbait: Metformin still prescribed for diabetics - LubbockOnline.com - August 17th, 2017