I have received dozens of emails from women interested in losing weight with PCOS, but they cant afford a gym membership, yoga classes or a personal trainer.
Having all of those luxurieswould certainly be helpful- I use some of them myself! But the truth is you do not need them.
And you should not wait until you can afford them to start putting your health first.
Women who lose weight with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome(PCOS) do three very important things:
You might be thinking to yourself: Sounds great, but how do I do all that without hiring a nutritionist, a yoga teacher and a personal assistant?
Today, I am going to give you 16 actionable tips for losing weight with PCOS that wont cost you a cent. And Im going to give you downloadable bonus materialthat you can use to put these 16 awesome tips into action.
Click here to get the bonus sent to your in box now!
Eating while in front of a television, tapping away on a laptop, or driving is not just a choking hazard! People who eat distracted eat more. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reviewed 24 different research studies and found that eating while distracted increased overall food intake in most individuals.
Eliminate distracted eating from your life by setting time aside in your schedule to eat. Go ahead and add lunch to your work calendar so that meetings and other responsibilities dont invade your meal time.
Make it a personal rule to eat at a table and not your desk or the couch where youll be tempted to stare at a screen while you eat.
Leave your smartphone in another room during mealtime and, of course, eating at a drive thru is out of the question.
If your day is truly busy, just set aside 10 minutes to drink a healthy super shake. 10 minutes of undistracted eating is better than an hour of distracted overeating!
Ive seen clients end their battle with overeating just by changing this single habit!
Wait Doesnt your body need time to recover from intense exercise?
Yes, it does, but you do not need a rest day.
You need a recovery workout a workout where you take the intensity way down and focus on things like joint mobility and deep breathing.
What you dont need is 2-3 days a week that are devoid of any actual movement! Most of us sit all day at work and then sit in traffic just to come home and sit on our couch. The last thing your body needs is less movement!
On days when you dont have a cardio or strength session planned, you should still set that block of time aside for health-enhancing activities!
On my recovery days, I like to do my usual warm-up followed by a leisurely stroll and then take a few minutes to stretch and foam roll tight muscles. Sometimes I even do some deep breathing exercises.
The squat is a staple of most exercise programs for good reason. Squats simultaneously work the biggest muscle groups in your body (quads, glutes, back, and core) and are essential to everyday functioning. You use the squatting motion to sit, stand up, and pick things up. You cant avoid squatting so you might as well get good at it!
How To Squat:
You can do squats with or without added weight making them a great exercise to do at home!
Spices are a great way to boost youre level of satisfaction from a meal. Human behavior researchers have found that when people have a stronger sensory experience while eating they tend to feel more satisfied and eat less.
Behavioral scientist Jennifer Lee, Ph.D. explains that Our brains and bodies use a combination of signals to indicate fullness: sensory signals (taste, smell), gastric signals (full bellies), and nutrient signals (our bodies tell our brains, whether we are lacking in certain vitamins and minerals, etc.).
Plus, many spices deliver some serious health benefits. For example, a study conducted by the US Agricultural Research Service found that type II diabetics who consumed just 1 gram of cinnamon per day experienced a 20% decrease in blood sugar.
Ways to spice up your diet:
There are several medical studies which have found that spending too much of your day in a seated position can be hazardous to your health.
In fact, a study conducted by the American Cancer Society found that people who sat for more than 6 hours per day increased their risk of death over the next 15 years by 40 percent compared to those who sat for less than 3 hours per day.
Translation: move or youre killing yourself!
Adding more bouts of movement into your day will safeguard your health and make losing weight with PCOS a bit easier.
Some people at your office may take cigarette breaks or quick trips to Starbucks. Why not try taking a quick walking break?
The next time you have the urge to get out of your office and grab a mocha, skip the sugary drink and opt for a quick stroll around the block. The fresh air will energize you and the extra steps will further your fitness goals.
If youre a parent, try walking around the field while waiting for your little leaguers practice to finish up. Why sit and wait if you can walk and wait?
When it comes to upper body exercises, you cant beat the push-up. They do a fantastic job of strengthening your upper body while also working your core, glute and leg muscles. Push-ups burn calories and build strength!
Many women think they cant do push-ups. They are wrong 99% of the time. Push-ups are an intermediate level exercise. If you cant do them right away, start practicing good form by doing push-ups with your hands on a sturdy bench or the wall.
How To Do Push-ups:
Every PCOS diet Ive come across recommends that you get the majority of your carbohydrates from fruits, vegetables and beans. Unfortunately, the average person tends to get most of their carbohydrates from processed grain products like cereal, pasta, sandwich breads, and sugar.
Getting most of your carbohydrates from these highly refined products leads you to a state of being overfed and undernourished. Youre getting more than enough calories from breads and cookies, but youre not getting nearly enough vitamins and minerals.
How to eat less processed carbohydrates:
High-intensity interval training (HIIT) is a method of cardio exercise that is great for women with PCOS. HIIT workouts can increase your insulin sensitivity, help you build muscle, and improve your bodys ability to burn fat.
A HIIT workout involves alternating low intensity intervals of exercise with intervals of high-intensity exercise. For example, a HIIT workout might include alternating bouts of sprinting with brisk walking.
One or two 20-minute sessions of HIIT each week should be enough to boost your weight loss efforts.
Here are links to two of my favorite HIIT workout plans:
A Running Program for People Who Dont Like to Run
At Home Cardio Circuit
You can lose weight and eat your cake too! The trouble with most traditional desserts is that they are high in calories and low in nutrients.
However, there are plenty of innovative food bloggers who are creating totally nutritious and tasty dessert recipes. Two of my favorite places to find healthy desserts are chocolatecoveredkatie.com and purelytwins.com.
A word or warning: many nutritious dessert recipes are still high in calories, so you need to use portion control.
Mindful Eating is a practice that Buddhist monks have been adhering to for hundreds of years. The concept is simple: bring attention and focus to eating.
Mindful eating has been shown to help chronic overeaters reduce stress and caloric intake. Both of which are helpful in losing weight.
Mindful eaters take special care to notice their hunger cues before, during and after a meal.They also savor the sensory experience of eating by reflecting on the taste, appearance, texture, and smell of their food.
Four simple ways to start eating mindfully:
High-calorie beverages tend to be less satiating than a solid food meal of the same amount of calories. In fact, people who drink high-calorie beverages tend to consume more calories in general.
If you want to lose weight, my suggestion is that you drink water, tea, coffee and the occasional glass of red wine. Here are a few beverages you should keep to a minimum when trying to slim down:
Not getting enough sleep at night is a serious health risk and it can hinder your weight loss efforts.
How to get a good nights sleep:
You really cant eat too many veggies! Vegetables are amazing for so many reasons. But, to put it simply, you need to eat more veggies because they have tons of micronutrients and fibers, but are very low in calories.
They are the ideal food for weight loss!
How to eat more veggies:
When you make your workout the first thing on your to-do list, it gets done.
The number one reason women give me for not working out is their busy schedules. And its a perfectly valid reason!
Unfortunately, if you keep putting other things before your health, your body and your quality of life will pay for it. The easiest way to nip this problem in the bud is to work out first thing in the morning.
A morning workout may not seem very appealing to those of you that are addicted to the snooze button, but I have a few ways you can make your morning sweat session a cherished ritual.
Do not check your email when you wake up. Unless youre a world leader, everybody elses problems can wait until youve worked out.
Work out at home. Working out at home eliminates commuting time and the need to shower in a locker room yuck!
Make a great workout playlist, pick music that energizes you.
Put the most important part of your workout at the beginning. For example, if your priority is chest and legs, do your squats and push-ups right after your warm-up. This way if you have to cut the workout short, youve still accomplished something!
Be grateful. Having the time, resources, and physical capability to work out is a privilege! Be grateful for that strong, beating heart and your comfy yoga pants!
In my opinion, cooking is a terrific hobby especially for women with PCOS. Knowing how to cook will free you from being dependent on restaurants and manufactured food products.
After taking cooking lessons, I found that I prefer my cooking to most cafes and restaurants. More importantly, by cooking my meals I always have control over the quality of my food.
Do you think cooking is a chore? Not to worry. You just need to find about five or six healthy recipes you can master. Most people eat the same stuff every week and are perfectly happy to do so.
I recommend you learn the following:
Note: I include links to my six go-to healthy recipes in the downloadable bonus. Click here to get the bonus sent to your in box now!
If you have PCOS, losing weight is about more than just being thin. Managing your weight will help you protect yourself from PCOS-related complications like infertility and diabetes.
Lasting, health-preserving weight loss requires you to adopt a lifestyle that makes your health a priority. It is not always an easy thing to do, but the benefits outweigh the costs!
Focus on making small meaningful changes to your lifestyle and eventually the numbers on the scale will reflect the healthy choices youre making! Are you ready to take some action? Start right now by downloading this helpful checklist!
Read the original post:
16 Tips for Losing Weight with PCOS - Erika Volk Fitness
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet | VegNews - April 26th, 2019
- 4 Tips For Losing Weight as You Age | Weight Loss ... - February 26th, 2019
- 6 tips for losing weight when you have diabetes | Best ... - September 20th, 2018
- The 3 Best Tips to Lose Weight - Verywell Fit - September 7th, 2018
- 13 Tips For Losing Weight Without Going Broke | MyFitnessPal - June 3rd, 2018
- Tips For Losing Weight - theonion.com - November 13th, 2017
- Four tips for losing weight, from adding vitamin B and omega 3 fats to your diet, to slower eating - South China Morning Post - September 5th, 2017
- Frankie Essex shares her top five tips for losing weight and reveals ditching ketchup helped her lose two stone - The Sun - August 28th, 2017
- After being embarrassed on a flight, this woman lost 100 pounds - Today.com - August 4th, 2017
- 14 Weird Ways to Lose Weight Without Exercising That Actually Work - KDRV - June 14th, 2017
- Lena Dunham Writes Very Lena Dunham Tips for Losing Weight - StyleCaster - May 8th, 2017
- Expert tips on kickstarting weight loss - NEWS.com.au - April 15th, 2017
- Top 10 Tips For Losing Weight - Eastern Daily News - February 21st, 2017
- 5 Tips for Losing Weight - Real Simple - December 25th, 2016
- Tips for losing weight healthily | Eat For Health - November 28th, 2016
- 1000+ ideas about Losing Weight Tips on Pinterest | Weight ... - November 21st, 2016
- 5 Tips for Losing Weight Fast - YouTube - November 4th, 2015
- Anorexia Tips for Losing Weight Fast By Pro Ana Tips ... - October 22nd, 2015
- Easy Tips for Losing Weight and Changing Diet - October 13th, 2015
- 10 Tips for Losing Weight While Breastfeeding - YouTube - October 13th, 2015
- 9 Simple Tips for Losing Weight After 50 - Video - April 22nd, 2015
- WOMEN WEIGHT LOSS NUTRITION TIPS - Video - April 10th, 2015
- WOMEN WEIGHT LOSS, RECOVERY, SUPPLEMENTS WB - Video - April 10th, 2015
- How to lose weight fast healthy tips for losing weight! - Video - April 2nd, 2015
- How to lose weight fast tips for losing weight in a week! - Video - April 2nd, 2015
- Green tea best tips for losing weight! - Video - April 2nd, 2015
- Weight Loss Tips - My Top 3 Tips For Losing Weight Fast - Video - March 31st, 2015
- 6 Tips For Losing Weight That Men Over 40 Should Know! | Men Over 50 - Video - March 31st, 2015
- Green tea tips for losing weight! - Video - March 31st, 2015
- The 3 Week Diet Plan Review - Video - March 24th, 2015
- Top Five Tips For Losing Weight Fast - Video - March 23rd, 2015
- 3 Tips For Losing Weight and Gaining Lean Muscle - Video - March 19th, 2015
- 6 Tips For Losing Weight Fast - For Men Over 40! | Men Over 50 - Video - March 18th, 2015
- Tips for losing weight and getting fit - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Healthy Eating Tips for Losing Weight Eat more starchy foods & Eat plenty of fruit and veggies - Video - February 18th, 2015
- Healthy Eating Tips for Losing Weight Eat breakfast, Drink plenty of water & Cut out alcohol - Video - February 14th, 2015
- Healthy Eating Tips for Losing Weight Eat plenty of fish & Cut down on the salt - Video - February 14th, 2015
- Fat Torching Cardio, Best Exercise To Lose Weight, Exercise To Lose Weight, Tips For Losing Weight - Video - February 6th, 2015
- Tips To Lose Weight - Tips For Losing Weight Fast - Video - January 31st, 2015
- Tips for losing weight A Beginner's Guide to Online Diet Programs - Video - January 22nd, 2015
- Day 7: 22 Days to a Healthier YOU! - Video - January 14th, 2015
- Day 3: 22 Days to a Healthier YOU! - Video - January 7th, 2015
- Day 2: 22 Days to a Healthier YOU! - Video - January 6th, 2015
- Tips For Losing Weight This Winter Part 2 - Video - January 2nd, 2015
- 10 Tips For Losing Weight This Winter part 1 - Video - January 1st, 2015
- 100 Best Tips For Losing Weight - Video - December 30th, 2014
- Tips For Losing Weight And Introduction To IIFYM - Video - December 15th, 2014
- Fitness And Food Tips For Losing Weight And Feeling Great! - Video - December 7th, 2014
- Fitness And Food Tips For Losing Weight And Feeling Great! JJ VIrgin - Video - December 7th, 2014
- Tips for losing weight fast. Quickest way to lose weight in a week - Video - December 5th, 2014
- Benefits of Pomegranate - Video - November 15th, 2014
- benefits of Arugula - Video - November 15th, 2014
- Diet lemon peel to lose weight - Video - November 15th, 2014
- 3 tips for losing weight & taking care of yourself after babies. - Video - November 3rd, 2014
- Good Tips for Losing Weight From Limes - Video - November 2nd, 2014
- Tips for Losing Weight (Part 1) - Video - October 3rd, 2014
- how to lose weight fast for women, how to lose 5 pounds in 10 days, losing weight fast, CLICK BELOW - Video - September 29th, 2014
- 30 Day Weight Loss Challenge Aug | 10 Tips For Losing Weight - Video - August 10th, 2014
- Dr Oz Tips For Losing Weight Quickly Using Garcinia Cambogia Supplements - Video - July 7th, 2014
- best tips for losing weight Guide - Video - July 6th, 2014
- top tips for losing weight Guide - Video - July 6th, 2014
- top tips for losing weight Tips - Video - July 6th, 2014
- 9 Tips for Losing Weight by Power Walking - Video - June 14th, 2014
- Top 5 Fitness Myths - Best Tips for Losing Weight for Good - Staying Fit While Traveling - Video - June 1st, 2014
- 5 Easy Tips for Losing Weight - How To Lose Weight Fast For Women - Video - May 26th, 2014
- Listening to your body! Tips for losing weight. - Video - April 29th, 2014
- Diet tips for losing weight - Video - April 10th, 2014
- Dian Thomas talks Johnny Carson, her dramatic weight loss - Video - April 10th, 2014
- 6 WEEK WEIGH IN RESULTS! Weight Loss Vlog With TIPS FOR LOSING WEIGHT! ride2health - Video - March 3rd, 2014
- 3 Simple Tips For Losing Weight - Video - January 29th, 2014
- GCN's Top Ten Ways To Lose Weight Through Cycling - Video - January 15th, 2014
- 5 Tips for Losing weight/Staying healthy in college - Video - January 11th, 2014
- 3 Tips for Losing Weight During the Holidays and Gift Ideas - Hitch Fit - Video - December 17th, 2013
- Diet Tips for Losing Weight Fast Part 1 - Video - December 16th, 2013
- Honolulu HI 96826 The Dr's Choice Protocol (Tips For Losing Weight) - Video - October 13th, 2013
- See now good diet tips for losing weight - Video - October 13th, 2013
- Tips For Losing Weight The Dr's Choice Weight Loss Diet Hawwaii has Tips For Losing Weight - Video - October 13th, 2013
- See now diet tips for losing weight fast - Video - October 12th, 2013
- See now diet tips for losing weight - Video - October 11th, 2013
- Confession: I've Gained Weight | Tips for Losing Weight | Weight Loss Tips - Video - September 26th, 2013