Doing well on the ketogenic diet means that you understand the right foods to eat. Because your mom told you to eat your vegetables that means you need to get some vegetables into your system daily.
But on keto, not all vegetables are good to have.
Because vegetables contain carbs!
This is one of those mind-blowing facts that seems to take people aback.
Carbs are in bread, pastas, and sweets, what the heck are they doing in vegetables?
I cant tell you why theyre there. Theyre just there.
They arent crazy like in bread but they are there depending on the vegetable.
In this post, I want to show you some of the veggies that you are safe to eat on the ketogenic diet.
An important rule of thumb to keep in mind is that if the vegetable is grown above ground (spinach), then chances are you can eat it on keto. Lettuce is an exception in that if you eat too much you can easily knock yourself out of ketosis.
If the vegetable grows below ground then you should stay away.
Celery is one of those weird zero-calorie foods that actually helps you burn more calories than you consume.
I guess thats why its pointless eating celery unless you can dip it into something. Thankfully on keto, you have the luxury of mixing your celery with either ranch or almond butter.
Please dont mix both together because that is just gross.
Spinach is the goto veggie for a lot of keto dishes. I like to mix it with my eggs in the morning and if I need a quick snack Ill grab a handful of spinach, pour some ranch on it, and Im good to go.
One of my favorite keto recipes is this Spinach Mexican Casserole.
Funny thing is that I absolutely hated spinach as a child.
Now? Its not so bad.
If you could marry asparagus then my wife would leave me and marry asparagus.
Thats how much she loves it.
I enjoy it but Im not crazy about it.
Its great when you wrap it in bacon and cook it with some coconut oil. Thats a keto goers dream right there.
Technically this is a keto fruit but Im listing it here because some people dont want to spend time thinking about the technicalities between fruits and vegetables.
Avocados are a fantastic source of fats and can be a great way to make sure you hit your daily macros when doing keto.
This is another breakfast or snack item that I like to include in my daily routine. It works as a fantastic fuel source when your body finally reaches ketosis.
Ill admit that I didnt know much about zucchini until my wife introduced me to zucchini boats and wooooooo boy, things changed.
I love zucchini boats!
Stuff them with almost anything you want and you have yourself a nice little dish.
Its amazing the creative things that people come up with when it comes to food. I would just grab a zucchini and dip it into a bottle of ranch.
My creativity is limited.
Another staple of the keto diet, cauliflower has superpowers because it can act as a substitute for rice or mashed potatoes.
But if you really want to enjoy your cauliflower then you need to lightly season it and roast it in the oven.
I could eat just that for a couple of meals straight. It really is that good.
Cucumber is similar to celery in my mind in that you need to mix it with something to get any value out of it.
It goes great in detox waters but we arent talking about detox waters here.
We are talking about veggies that you can actually eat in your keto recipes.
Cucumber works though when you want to add a bit of crunch to a meal or just have it over your spinach salad.
I have a confession in that the only time I eat cabbage is when I have it in my spicy sausage & cabbage skillet melt.
Im sure there are other great uses for cabbage but thats the only time I actively hunt it down.
I have nothing against cabbage.
Its just cabbage.
Dont give it to me unless youre going to cover it in cheese or ranch. Yes, both of these are keto-friendly and that is why the ketogenic diet is so awesome!
I used to think that cauliflower was broccolis ugly step-sister, but now I know its the other way around.
Broccoli is good but it takes a backseat to the almighty cauliflower.
When I lived in Los Angeles, kale was a superfood.
I hate it.
I really cant stand the taste of it.
Raw. Cooked. Burnt.
It doesnt matter, I dont like kale.
I understand its benefits but that doesnt mean I have to enjoy it.
Because I dont. Get it out of my face.
My mom loves brussels sprouts. They arent bad but I cant stand the smell of them cooking.
Keep me out of the kitchen and just let me know when they are ready and Im all over them.
If youre looking for a snack then check out these cheesy brussels sprouts and if you actually want a meal then scope out this brussel sprout burger recipe.
Its important to understand that all of these vegetables have carbs. They just have a lesser amount than other foods so as long as you arent eating a whole field of them you should be okay.
Remember, on keto, the general rule is that you want to stay below 20g of carbs daily so some carbs arent bad. Especially when they come from vegetables that have a low glycemic index.
If youre interested in learning more about the ketogenic diet and how it can help you lose weight then check out our 28-Day Challenge where we guide you through the keto diet and help you lose between 10-21 pounds in just 4 weeks with keto.
See the article here:
11 Low Carb Vegetables That You Can Safely Eat on the …
- Can Probiotics Make It Safely To Your Intestines? - February 19th, 2018
- How to safely and healthily use supplements in your diet ... - February 17th, 2018
- Liquid Diet: Facts About Plans and Effectiveness - February 17th, 2018
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe for Everyone? - Diagnosis:Diet - January 20th, 2018
- Best Weight Loss Pills For Women Reviewed - Top 8 Best ... - December 25th, 2017
- Safe Diets and Healthful Weight Loss - healthline.com - November 6th, 2017
- Can I diet while breastfeeding? KellyMom.com - October 15th, 2017
- How to Use Diet Pills Safely: 12 Steps (with Pictures ... - October 13th, 2017
- How to Lose Weight Quickly and Safely (for Teen Girls) - October 13th, 2017
- Chinese red viagra sildenafil citrate - Viagra and red bull safe - Red ant viagra review - Black Hills Today - September 6th, 2017
- The What IF Plan: all you need to know about the new DNA weight loss programme - Evening Standard - September 6th, 2017
- Coca-Cola Offering $1 Million for Natural Sugar Substitute - Newsmax - September 6th, 2017
- 'Global event' in Ames this fall to focus on digital literacy - Radio Iowa - September 6th, 2017
- All the Apps and Websites You Need When You Have a Kid With Food Allergies - Lifehacker Australia - September 6th, 2017
- Cheap female viagra pills - Name of female viagra tablet - Twin Cities Arts Reader - September 4th, 2017
- 'Diet guidelines biased against poor nations' - The News International - September 4th, 2017
- World-renowned Alzheimer's expert takes state fair stage - KARE - September 4th, 2017
- 10 new nutrients you should be eating right away - DailyO - September 4th, 2017
- Why West's low-fat diet advice could be deadly for Asia's poor, because they'll likely eat even more carbs - South China Morning Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Battling the deerfly - Stowe Today - September 2nd, 2017
- Levitra professional mail order - Levitra professional pills - Laughlin Entertainer - September 2nd, 2017
- A Bountiful Assortment - PetProductNews.com - September 2nd, 2017
- Don't talk about diets in front of your daughters, deputy head at top London school warns parents - Evening Standard - September 1st, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Capital FM Kenya (press release) (blog) - September 1st, 2017
- Sponsor spotlight: Harbor Square Athletic Club Healthy Lifestyle Tip good protein sources - My Edmonds News - September 1st, 2017
- Viagra soft tabs uk buy - Viagra soft tab generic - Forward Florida - September 1st, 2017
- The Most Weight You Can Safely Lose In A Month By Only ... - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines 'biased against poor nations' - New Vision - August 30th, 2017
- Nutrition: Tips to a healthful State Fair - Duluth News Tribune - August 30th, 2017
- How does a high-salt diet affect your body? - Reports Healthcare - August 30th, 2017
- Healthcare Startup Claims It Can Defeat Diabetes With Nutrition Alone - Futurism - August 30th, 2017
- Buy kamagra soft usa - Forward Florida - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Geo News, Pakistan - August 29th, 2017
- Men who get fit in middle age can halve their risk of strokes - Telegraph.co.uk - August 29th, 2017
- Can you really lose your belly fat with just 15 minutes of HIIT a day? Yes. - Metro - August 29th, 2017
- Viagra capsule in hindi - Viagra capsules price in india - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Extension Connection: Petscaping Your Yard - Canton Daily Ledger - August 27th, 2017
- Ketogenic diet loved for fast results, but does it work? - Gears Of Biz - August 27th, 2017
- The case for complete streets - Prince Rupert Northern View - August 27th, 2017
- How Conor McGregor's Weight Loss Ahead of His Big Fight May Harm His Body - Scientific American - August 27th, 2017
- Watch it! Artificial sweeteners can make you fat - Vanguard - August 26th, 2017
- 5 Tips For Traveling Safely With Food Allergies - POPSUGAR - August 26th, 2017
- 7 Things You've Always Wondered About a Colonoscopy - SELF - August 26th, 2017
- We Talked With an Expert About Whether You Can Actually Lose Weight With the Apple Cider Vinegar Diet or Bone ... - Life & Style Weekly - August 26th, 2017
- Stayin' Alive: The Big 'D' with Jeordan Hill - Buffalo Rising - August 23rd, 2017
- Vaginal seeding birth trend could do more harm than good - Netdoctor - August 23rd, 2017
- Newquay's Blue Reef Aquarium stonefish twins are new stars - Cornwall Live - August 23rd, 2017
- Meet the meat-free Hong Kong parents on a vegan mission - South China Morning Post - August 20th, 2017
- How to have a berry good time foraging this summer - CBC.ca - August 20th, 2017
- Expired viagra risks - Red ant viagra - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Is It Safe to Lose Weight While You're Pregnant? - Mommyish (blog) - August 17th, 2017
- Ignore the clickbait: Metformin still prescribed for diabetics - STLtoday.com - August 17th, 2017
- Bodybuilder Mom Dies from Eating Too Much Protein - Mommyish (blog) - August 17th, 2017
- Diet Doc Explains Why Customized Dieting is More Effective than the Popular Keto Diet - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 17th, 2017
- Westchester Playa Neighborhood Council Votes Against PDR Safety Projects - Streetsblog Los Angeles (blog) - August 17th, 2017
- Dr. Roach: Ignore the clickbait: Metformin still prescribed for diabetics - LubbockOnline.com - August 17th, 2017
- Programmable pressure cooker makes meals in minutes, now $120 off - Digital Trends - August 17th, 2017
- How to stay safe in the sun this summer - The Independent - August 17th, 2017
- What's A Safe Amount Of Weight To Lose In A Week? - Huffington Post Australia - August 14th, 2017
- Female-owned Red Mountain Weight Loss sets milestone - AZ Big Media - August 14th, 2017
- World's most deadly fish have made themselves at home in the Westcountry - Devon Live - August 14th, 2017
- Endometriosis and Diet: What You Can Do About It - Care2.com - August 13th, 2017
- Impossible Burger blowback: Will irrational fears of biotechnology ... - Genetic Literacy Project - August 13th, 2017
- With political help, lobbies put chemicals in our diet; BJP must honour its pledge to keep GM food out - Mainstream - August 13th, 2017
- What Can Kill Cats and How to Prevent Cat Diseases and Accidents - Catster - August 11th, 2017
- A Crown Point man lost 50 pounds ... for his son - nwitimes.com - August 11th, 2017
- Vitamin B3 found in Marmite not proven to prevent miscarriage - NHS Choices - August 11th, 2017
- As FDA Testing Resumes Of Herbicide, So Does Local Opposition - WNPR News - August 11th, 2017
- The Keto dietis eating more fat the key to weight loss? - Medical Xpress - August 11th, 2017
- Body & Mind Medical Weight Loss Center's Jump Start to Health Program Delivers Visible Results With 10-Day ... - Markets Insider - August 9th, 2017
- Bubbles and squeak: is it OK to feed your child in the bath? - The Guardian - August 9th, 2017
- Uses of palm kernel oil in Nigeria - NAIJ.COM - August 8th, 2017
- Trump's Pick For USDA Chief Scientist Isn't a Scientist, But He Is a Self-Declared Expert on 'Race Traitors' - Gears Of Biz - August 7th, 2017
- The Raw Food Diet Facts You Need to Know - Shape Magazine - August 6th, 2017
- How Shame, Secrets and Sugar Get Between Us and Better Health - The Root - August 6th, 2017
- Abe's Cabinet Reshuffle, Explained - The Diplomat - August 6th, 2017
- Trump's Pick For USDA Chief Scientist Isn't a Scientist, But He Is a Self-Declared Expert on "Race Traitors" - Gizmodo - August 3rd, 2017
- These 'unhealthy' foods don't deserve their bad rep - New York Post - August 3rd, 2017
- No fruit juice for children under one year - Michigan State University Extension - August 1st, 2017
- Can you have a healthy vegetarian or vegan pregnancy? - Channel NewsAsia - July 31st, 2017